HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner to EDM

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 07:07 PM
  #51
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
He reeaaallly hasn't. Don't get ahead of yourself. Kadri has looked good this season but its a very small sample size. Most of the evidence to this point is his career has shown he is most likely a decent 2C.

Granted, probably much better than bozak for the 1c spot.
Schultz has looked really good this season but its been a very small sample size. He will most likely be a second pairing defense man.


See how stupid that looks? Think before you post baseless assumptions

FYI Bozak has been great this year so far.

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:14 PM
  #52
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post


We're 3-4 games in and Kadri has been great but don't get ahead of yourself.
Schultz is redundant to our needs. Rielly, Gardiner, Finn, and Percy are almost LOCKS for top 4 duties. Schultz doesnt bring any element that they do not.

As for the original question, it will take a move (as part of a package) for one of your big four forwards. Nothing else the Oilers have is worth it one v one, and were not trading Gardiner for a bunch of lesser parts.

blasted_Sabre is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:17 PM
  #53
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
As usual this thread is going like all Leaf and Oilers threads, no where.

Does Gardiner help the Oilers no, and most likely would be sent down to the AHL like the Leafs just did. He's not going to beat out Petry or J.Schultz and he's not defensive or physical enough to be pair with them, so he would end up on the 3rd pairing. The Oilers have a couple of D prospects in Marincin and Klefbom, IMO rate better then Gardiner, and he's not worth the outlandish price the Leafs would be asking for him.

WeridAl is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:18 PM
  #54
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,924
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
He reeaaallly hasn't. Don't get ahead of yourself. Kadri has looked good this season but its a very small sample size. Most of the evidence to this point is his career has shown he is most likely a decent 2C.

Granted, probably much better than bozak for the 1c spot.
You're acting as if Schultz is an 18 year old kid. He's 23 years old in his first NHL season.

Small sample sizes can be attached to any player.

Kadri can be a good #2 guy that puts up 60-65 points.

We have zero need for Schultz if we have to give up Kadri. We have Gardiner, we've got Liles, we have a top prospect in Rielly, and OFD's that have top 4 potential in Percy, Finn, Blacker.

The one thing the Leafs don't need: Offensive defenseman.

Pi is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:20 PM
  #55
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
He reeaaallly hasn't. Don't get ahead of yourself. Kadri has looked good this season but its a very small sample size. Most of the evidence to this point is his career has shown he is most likely a decent 2C.

Granted, probably much better than bozak for the 1c spot.
From day one he has shown the potential to be that #1C. Regardless of if he makes it or not, as he is playing right now he is showing signs that hes close. I rather hold on to the potential of filling a dire need vs. a redundant defensemen who would either end up on the bottom pair (or force someone who doesnt belong to the bottom pair) or force Nonis's hand to deal one of our high potential D.

The Podium is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:22 PM
  #56
Hurt
Global Moderator
 
Hurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
No, Toronto wouldn't go for anything that doesn't involve Gretzky and a few 1sts coming back the other way. Oh wait, I mean Toronto fans on this board. Toronto would trade Rask for Raycroft, Kubina for Exelby, Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel (ok, I'm pushing it) --- but still they wouldn't consider Gagner, MPS, Whitney, Klefbom etc. to be of any value compared to the latest shiny bauble.

There are always 4 or 5 untouchables in Toronto every year and usually 2 or 3 wind up demoted or traded by the same time next year. Sometimes its okay to take a 'risk' and trade for proven young players. Lets have a little levity here. Before you bring up the glass houses thing, there are overzealous fans in every city - but the big 3 or 4 aren't dropping off EDM's list any time soon.

I wouldn't trade for Gardiner unless it was an underpay. Nothing personal.
Hyperbole doesn't prove a point, it just makes your point seem silly. Toronto doesn't trade our top forward prospect plus what will most likely be a good first round pick for a player who would be redundant in our system. We lack top end forwards. We do not lack good potential offensive D-men. Pretty simple.

__________________
Shoot me a PM with your concerns. Also, come visit us in the Science Forum!
Hurt is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:22 PM
  #57
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Because the potential and likely hood he reaches the potential are far and away higher than Kadri. Even if Schultz isn't a need I find it hard to believe if Tambellini called Nonis up and said Schultz for Kadri that Nonis would decline.
Love HFboards logic.

If you are a Leaf prospect, you can't ever be as good or better than ours, just because.

TOGuy14 is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
  #58
I see only darkness
Registered User
 
I see only darkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 649
vCash: 500
LOL you Leaf fans are too funny.

I make a point saying neither would make that trade, throw out a crazy proposal the other way, and you all start bashing Schultz. The same guy that if you search your own threads last summer were begging for him to go there cause he and Gardiner would be so awesome together. (Heck they are best friends right)

I see only darkness is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:23 PM
  #59
tml145
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguars Fan View Post
Gardiner for Gagner + 1st
we have a players similar to Gagner in bozak, grobo, and kadri

tml145 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:24 PM
  #60
WeridAl
YuckaFlux
 
WeridAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 10ft of Snow
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Schultz is redundant to our needs. Rielly, Gardiner, Finn, and Percy are almost LOCKS for top 4 duties. Schultz doesnt bring any element that they do not.

As for the original question, it will take a move (as part of a package) for one of your big four forwards. Nothing else the Oilers have is worth it one v one, and were not trading Gardiner for a bunch of lesser parts.
I would agree with Rielly maybe, seen him play and have like what I've seen.

The others I would have to disagree, especially Finn and Percy, bit of a homer here.

WeridAl is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:24 PM
  #61
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
LOL you Leaf fans are too funny.

I make a point saying neither would make that trade, throw out a crazy proposal the other way, and you all start bashing Schultz. The same guy that if you search your own threads last summer were begging for him to go there cause he and Gardiner would be so awesome together. (Heck they are best friends right)
Oh the irony.

You guys brought Kadri up for no reason. Cry me a river buddy

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:27 PM
  #62
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
Toronto and Edmonton aren't good trading partners. I don't see why other teams think that just because we have 3 excellent young wingers, that we have to trade one of them. Chicago has 3 great wingers and no one cares. I'm sick and tired of most franchises trying to cherry pick our talent because they feel like they are helping us out. We do not need you to take our talented wingers away. We'll continue to build without dealing any of the Fab Four.

Sorry just needed to vent a bit reading these boards just angers me sometimes.
Its not because we dont want to take them away, its that there is very little outside those 5 that would return another high potential young player. No one is trading a potential top pairing D for a Gagner, a Hemsky, etc. just like no one will trade a potential #1C for Kulemin or Bozak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
No, Toronto wouldn't go for anything that doesn't involve Gretzky and a few 1sts coming back the other way. Oh wait, I mean Toronto fans on this board. Toronto would trade Rask for Raycroft, Kubina for Exelby, Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel (ok, I'm pushing it) --- but still they wouldn't consider Gagner, MPS, Whitney, Klefbom etc. to be of any value compared to the latest shiny bauble.

There are always 4 or 5 untouchables in Toronto every year and usually 2 or 3 wind up demoted or traded by the same time next year. Sometimes its okay to take a 'risk' and trade for proven young players. Lets have a little levity here. Before you bring up the glass houses thing, there are overzealous fans in every city - but the big 3 or 4 aren't dropping off EDM's list any time soon.

I wouldn't trade for Gardiner unless it was an underpay. Nothing personal.
Its not our fault that there is nothing of value in Edmonton outside the big 4. If we were asking for Schultz there first people on your list would be Kessel, Phaneuf, JVR, Gardiner, Reilly, all of whom are held in the same light by Toronto. Stop pretending like we are overrating our players, it just so happens that your asking for one of our better young players and we wont be giving them up for a bunch of lesser pieces. In addition we wont be dealing from a barren position to add to our most fruitful. If a deal comes around where we deal a Gardiner for a young budding #1C then well pull a trigger, but the other way around isnt good management.

The Podium is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:33 PM
  #63
I see only darkness
Registered User
 
I see only darkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Oh the irony.

You guys brought Kadri up for no reason. Cry me a river buddy
Wow nice come back. When I can not make my point then I guess I should start bashing people (Sadly all fan bases have them....Just my luck I found you) Next time keep it to the topic or don't reply.

I see only darkness is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:42 PM
  #64
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
Wow nice come back. When I can not make my point then I guess I should start bashing people (Sadly all fan bases have them....Just my luck I found you) Next time keep it to the topic or don't reply.
You should take your own advice and keep it to the topic.

Why did you randomly bring up Kadri?

But once again, the irony.

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:47 PM
  #65
I see only darkness
Registered User
 
I see only darkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
You should take your own advice and keep it to the topic.

Why did you randomly bring up Kadri?

But once again, the irony.
LOL seriously. reread the post. That offer for schultz was more than fair, but like your team, our team is fine with what we have. That was my point but because you take such a defensive position on everything you miss the obvious.

I hope Kadri turns out for you guys, just like I hope MPS turns out for us. Who knows. Just discuss instead of putting people down is my secondary point but I am sure you will miss that one also

I see only darkness is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:51 PM
  #66
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
LOL seriously. reread the post. That offer for schultz was more than fair, but like your team, our team is fine with what we have. That was my point but because you take such a defensive position on everything you miss the obvious.

I hope Kadri turns out for you guys, just like I hope MPS turns out for us. Who knows. Just discuss instead of putting people down is my secondary point but I am sure you will miss that one also
Once again. Stop acting like a victim.

You started your post with "LOL you leafs fans are too funny" when we said we prefer Kadri over Schultz

Not sure where I am putting you down, but fabricate what you want I guess

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:12 PM
  #67
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Once again. Stop acting like a victim.

You started your post with "LOL you leafs fans are too funny" when we said we prefer Kadri over Schultz

Not sure where I am putting you down, but fabricate what you want I guess
It is a silly point though huh? Saying we wouldn't trade Schultz for Kadri and a 1st and then countering that by saying Kadri has only had 4 good games?

I understand that's from multiple people but we can all read the whole thread.

marty111 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
  #68
dkny1121*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Schultz is redundant to our needs. Rielly, Gardiner, Finn, and Percy are almost LOCKS for top 4 duties. Schultz doesnt bring any element that they do not.

As for the original question, it will take a move (as part of a package) for one of your big four forwards. Nothing else the Oilers have is worth it one v one, and were not trading Gardiner for a bunch of lesser parts.
Schultz is already much better then all of those players though.

dkny1121* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:56 PM
  #69
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,674
vCash: 500
The same Gardiner that just got sent back to the minors is being compared to Justin Schultz??

smackdaddy is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:57 PM
  #70
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Why is that so ridiculous? We need a #1C, so far Kadri has shown he can be that not too far down the road. We have an abundance of OFD why would we deal our only good forward prospect for redundancy?

Gardiner isnt moving unless its him + for Eberle or RNH (i like Eberle the best of the 3 W and Hall is likely worth more than the rest).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Explain why the leafs should trade Kadri for Schultz.

Please do.
Because Schultz is easily the better prospect. Compare their respective AHL production, Schultz blows Kadri out the water despite playing defensive hockey. A ridiculous 110+ pt pace. Kadri wasn't even PPG. Also Kadri has a very unsustainable 27% shooting percentage, his production will dip and he will probably be included in trade proposals for other players in I saw maybe 2 weeks or so. Schultz was ranked best prospect in the world according to Craig Button.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:00 PM
  #71
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Schultz is redundant to our needs. Rielly, Gardiner, Finn, and Percy are almost LOCKS for top 4 duties. Schultz doesnt bring any element that they do not.

As for the original question, it will take a move (as part of a package) for one of your big four forwards. Nothing else the Oilers have is worth it one v one, and were not trading Gardiner for a bunch of lesser parts.
He generates offense more than the other d-men.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:06 PM
  #72
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,279
vCash: 50
Defensive hockey? Is that what Schultz was doing?

Sojourn is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
  #73
Dangles McGavin
Embrace the Petri
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
He generates offense more than the other d-men.
Doesn't that sort of remain to be seen...?

Dangles McGavin is online now  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:10 PM
  #74
Drew311
Catch The Taste
 
Drew311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,806
vCash: 500
Why isn't this locked yet?

Drew311 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:11 PM
  #75
sparxx87
Registered User
 
sparxx87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The same Gardiner that just got sent back to the minors is being compared to Justin Schultz??
On a conditioning stint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Because Schultz is easily the better prospect. Compare their respective AHL production, Schultz blows Kadri out the water despite playing defensive hockey. A ridiculous 110+ pt pace. Kadri wasn't even PPG. Also Kadri has a very unsustainable 27% shooting percentage, his production will dip and he will probably be included in trade proposals for other players in I saw maybe 2 weeks or so. Schultz was ranked best prospect in the world according to Craig Button.
Let's keep it relative though; Kadri playing with Leo Komarov and a revolving door, Schultz with RNH, Eberle and Hall..


I'm not gonna compare the two, but keep it in perspective...

Schultz has been as advertised; and offensive defenseman with some work to do on the defensive side, and Kadri has finally started to look like the player the Leafs drafted 7th overall... Aside from the point production, he's been good without the puck and that was his problem..

Both teams are happy with their guy, no need to make a deal .... Toronto and Edmonton are bad trade partners..

Oh, and don't tell people you get your information from Craig Button.

sparxx87 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.