HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Edmonton robbedemption

Old
01-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugginThePost View Post
With regard to the celebration....

Over the top...but whatever, nothing to lose sleep over.

My question is this. What would happen if: Quick makes that glove save off Yak in OT, gets up, skates out of his net full speed slides on one knee holding his glove with the puck in it towards the heavens. Skates back to his crease, but not before he drops the puck at Yak's feet.

The shock factor alone would be awesome. But how well would it be received? Players get to go ape **** after scoring a goal, but goalies, not so much.

For the record, I would love to see it. But hey, I'm an old goalie.
Comparing apples to oranges. What part of his celebration was equal to Quick dropping a puck at Yakupov's feet? He did nothing to directly disrespect anyone on the Kings.

Insta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
People actually have a problem with posters abbreviating celebration to celly on the internet?

Get some real problems
Lol I agree. It's amazing the things people in 1st world countries get upset over

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
topchowda

Lost in all the madness: Quick regained his domiant play, he is going to a force once again this year. Doughty is also a work horse, him, Petro and Karlsson are gunna have some fun norris battles

Dubynk rebounded massively and J.Schultz had a huge game. 26 minutes (16 EV), 2A, and some solid defensive zone play

If you watch that Yakupov goal and get mad about the celebration you have no hockey pulse.

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
I would think that the circumstance would have to be taken into consideration. Eberle just got hit...not even that hard....by a legal check. Smid jumps in to defend him. To me that is instigating a fight. Just my take on it.

I hope they make this call every time a legal hit is made and someone feels that they have to "pay" for it. It's hockey...there will be hitting involved at some point.

Of course if an elbow to the head happens, get in there and take care of business as required.
Except he didn't start a fight when he jumped in. I'd be all for your line of thinking if Smid skated over and started throwing punches and gave Nolan no chance to refuse to fight. At the most Smid skated over and asked Nolan to fight at which point Nolan starts the fight.

By your line of thinking almost every fight should have and instigator penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
I think it was the right call. Gagner, while he was pushed a bit into Quick, also made no attempt to get out of his way and actively prohibited from coming anywhere close to making the save. And the refs are allowed to conference over a situation like that, just not use video to review it.
he was pushed into quick and then as quick tried to get back across the net gagners foot got caught up in his pad. He was trying to get it free and he wasn't in the crease.

There was no actions to justify changing the call.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Dubynk rebounded massively and J.Schultz had a huge game. 26 minutes (16 EV), 2A, and some solid defensive zone play
Most amazing thing about those stats is that there were 16 minutes of even strength time in the game.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
It should be noted how well the Kings fans have acted. Some fanbases would have painted the board red.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
It should be noted how well the Kings fans have acted. Some fanbases would have painted the board red.
Agreed!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:16 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Most amazing thing about those stats is that there were 16 minutes of even strength time in the game.
No kidding hey, hopefully next time the two play the refs dont bring the whistles with them

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:32 PM
HugginThePost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Except he didn't start a fight when he jumped in. I'd be all for your line of thinking if Smid skated over and started throwing punches and gave Nolan no chance to refuse to fight. At the most Smid skated over and asked Nolan to fight at which point Nolan starts the fight.

By your line of thinking almost every fight should have and instigator penalty.

he was pushed into quick and then as quick tried to get back across the net gagners foot got caught up in his pad. He was trying to get it free and he wasn't in the crease.

There was no actions to justify changing the call.
Fair enough....but I will go back to the circumstance. Smid engaging him after he laid a hit on one of the "kids" is telling of what his intentions were. I'm almost positive he didn't skate over and ask him not to do that again. If the fight took place without the previous hit on Eberle, I would be 100% supportive of your case.

Hell, for all we know it's one of the new rules that no one knows about. Personally I think it would be an excellent rule. Some one gets hit, legally, any shenanigans afterwards - 2 min unsportsman like.

But hey, agree to disagree. No biggie. Regardless, it was the oddest game ever.

HugginThePost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
We all destroyed all our electronics after the game

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Lost in all the madness: Quick regained his domiant play, he is going to a force once again this year. Doughty is also a work horse, him, Petro and Karlsson are gunna have some fun norris battles

If you watch that Yakupov goal and get mad about the celebration you have no hockey pulse.
Well said.

Though I'd like to point out that Dubnyk just always seems to wreck the Kings regardless!

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:51 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Combination of bad calls.

1. Gagner should have been penalized for the cross-check on Doughty.
2. Gagner was pushed into the crease by a Kings defender (Schuderi I believe), and then Quick's pad entangled Gagner's skate, preventing Gagner from backing away. For that reason, it's not goalie interference.
3. Even if it was goalie interference, it's non-reviewable. Goal on the ice should have stood. Should have been a good goal.

01-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Ya, I have to say that I havent noticed any King's fans acting just bitter or ********. Seems like they enjoyed the spectacle the game provided too. Pretty classy imo; cant say I wouldve acted the same if the Oil lost in a similar manner

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:55 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Well said.

Though I'd like to point out that Dubnyk just always seems to wreck the Kings regardless!
Just read through the thread, and I have to credit the King's fans too...great fanbase. It was easy to cheer for you guys in the playoffs last year. Let's just hope that the next game between us involves hockey more than pucktard reffs.

My God Quick is scary good...

PigeonCamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Absolutely agreed. There were horrible calls at both ends but some obvious ones clearly stuck out. It was an awkward game but both teams played hard. Kudos to Kings fans. They know we all cheered them on in the playoffs though. And they have a Cup to show for so they can't really complain for half a season .

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Agreed, the one kings fan who was losing his mind is from St.Albert so he's our problem

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:33 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yep. I have a lot of respect for them after this game (still no respect for a few of the guys actually on the team, but that's a different matter )

I actually find it quite funny how much Oilers and Kings fans are in agreement about basically everything that happened, and yet other fans still come and try to stir things up

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:41 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post

2. Gagner was pushed into the crease by a Kings defender (Schuderi I believe), and then Quick's pad entangled Gagner's skate, preventing Gagner from backing away. For that reason, it's not goalie interference.
3. Even if it was goalie interference, it's non-reviewable. Goal on the ice should have stood. Should have been a good goal.
1. True, but that's irrelevant. Uncalled penalties mar many goals. That miss was just one more contribution to the debacle that was the referees last night.
2. Totally. Gagner can't be held responsible for Quick being out of position after the push by Scuderi. And by all accounts, Gagner DID attempt to get out of the crease after the shove, as seen by all overhead replays.
3. I thought refs were now able to consult with one another after such goals. For good reason: just because one ref calls a goal, it doesn't mean that they hadn't overlooked an illegal play on a different part of the ice that contributed to the puck crossing the line. The problem here is that despite the initial call of goal, the fact that Gagner was observed tangled up with Quick seemed to influence the collective assessment that the goalie was interfered with.

Unfortunately, a proportion of the fans responded with idiocy and we're left having to discuss - and in some ways defend - that. It was an embarrassment, I was there.

But Oilers fans are no less classy than were the portion of Canucks fans from 2 springs ago, or the portions of fans of all teams when circumstances dictate that energy overrides sensibility in the midst of a (perceived) bad call.

But it was pathetic.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:00 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
On Yak's celebration, at that point both teams, and their fans had been beaten down by the exceedingly poor refereeing.

The Oilers and fans were pumped when they thought they had the tying goal. When it was overturned (under questionable circumstances,) it added to the frustration, it was as low as low can be.

Our team has enough trouble winning without losing under weird circumstances.

plus Kreuger was playing to win, goalie pulled while on the PP, something our old coach would never do, play to win. So when Yak knocked in that rebound it was electric. The crowd went wild, he rode the wave, he was caught in the sheer joy of the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail Yakupov

"I didn't understand what was happening and was like, 'What am I doing?' I didn't hear anybody because the fans were going crazy,It's a great feeling. It's amazing.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Ya, I have to say that I havent noticed any King's fans acting just bitter or ********. Seems like they enjoyed the spectacle the game provided too. Pretty classy imo; cant say I wouldve acted the same if the Oil lost in a similar manner
It's easy to be gracious when 4 games ago your team was lifting the Stanley Cup. Get back to us in a few weeks. I suspect the mood will be a little different if the Kings can't start winning some games.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:11 PM
T-Funk

Quote:

and Doughty for the flop

we could go on and on and on arguing about calls in the worst reffed game I've ever seen in my life.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:15 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
and Doughty for the flop

we could go on and on and on arguing about calls in the worst reffed game I've ever seen in my life.
Yeah, last nights game is probably not the one to be splitting hairs about bad and/or missed calls since they were all over the ice

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:16 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
and Doughty for the flop

Or the cross check of Smid on Brown that put the Oilers down 5-3 the first time. That type of call is weak, not normally made if it means putting a team down 2 men.

But LA fans would have some opinions about other calls. I know Sutter did.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Fair enough....but I will go back to the circumstance. Smid engaging him after he laid a hit on one of the "kids" is telling of what his intentions were. I'm almost positive he didn't skate over and ask him not to do that again. If the fight took place without the previous hit on Eberle, I would be 100% supportive of your case.

Hell, for all we know it's one of the new rules that no one knows about. Personally I think it would be an excellent rule. Some one gets hit, legally, any shenanigans afterwards - 2 min unsportsman like.

But hey, agree to disagree. No biggie. Regardless, it was the oddest game ever.
Nolan had every opportunity to skate the other way. He was not pulled into a fight and he chose to fight Smid entirely on his own. To me that isn't a instigator penalty.

Quote:

They didn't review the call on the ice. The refs had a conference and decided that the correct call was no goal, that is completely above board.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:51 PM
HugginThePost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Comparing apples to oranges. What part of his celebration was equal to Quick dropping a puck at Yakupov's feet? He did nothing to directly disrespect anyone on the Kings.
I could be wrong here, but skating to the blue line with arms in the air, dropping to your knees and sliding 100ft while fist pumping could be construed as disrespectful to the guy you just scored on. If you feel differently then I would venture a guess that you never played goal.

I am not arguing whether what he did was right or wrong....I don't care. Just that there is a double standard when it comes to what is acceptable in celebrations. If Quick had done that, **** would have hit the fan. We have come to expect, and accept, it from the goal scorer, as a goalie I find them all disrespectful.

To which some will respond with...."then stop the puck!" To which I would add, they do about .920% of the time. Not once taunting the shooter. No jumping up and down, no slides, no pounding the glass....nothing. Give the ref the puck....get ready to stop the next one.

Now that would make for a pretty boring game......so I'm not behind it 100%. But don't say celebrating the way he did, or any one for that matter, doesn't disrespect the goalie.

HugginThePost is offline   Reply With Quote