HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Derek Stepan

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 05:40 PM
  #76
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers have played 4 games. 4. Four.
I disagree.

Ola is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 05:43 PM
  #77
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,739
vCash: 659
I hope he has a terrible regular season and a great playoffs so Sather can really give it to him in RFA negotiations.

60% joking.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
  #78
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
This isn't unusual, the team plays poorly and individuals pick who they think deserves blame and start threads.

Lost in this is that the team, the entire gosh darn team has played like complete bunk. They have lost their identity from last season.

Now, whether that can be regained by the team, as a unit, is much more important than whether or not one player is a little over their heads. For what it is worth, there are about 25 NHL teams who would love to have Stepan as their second line center right now.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 05:49 PM
  #79
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
I am disappointed with him as much as his 4 games.

It seems very obvious that Stepan has not had the best "summer", and it should have been the complete opposite. This should have been the year we contended as a team. This should have been the year he broke out as a good top 2 line center.

Nobody who saw him struggle in Finland or have seen him these first 4 games can get the impression that he put in the effort required by him. He did what everyone else did I would guess -- but you don't become better than others if you don't work HARDER then them. As much as them isn't enough.

Jeff Halpern was Derek Stepan once. If Stepan don't take another big step, he will become Jeff Halpern. Definitely. Stepan is a very capable offensive hockey player. But not enough talent to on that alone be a good 2nd line center in this league.

Ola is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 05:51 PM
  #80
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,739
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
This should have been the year we contended as a team. This should have been the year he broke out as a good top 2 line center.
Has it already been decided that these things won't happen?

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 06:03 PM
  #81
Dangleberry
Registered User
 
Dangleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500








/end thread

Dangleberry is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 06:55 PM
  #82
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangleberry View Post








/end thread
Those 4 youtube clips really showed me.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:31 PM
  #83
alves
Registered User
 
alves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangleberry View Post
Stepan YT vids
So what? I can show you 4 YouTube clips of EC too, even nicer goals.

alves is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:41 PM
  #84
Dangleberry
Registered User
 
Dangleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvesNYR View Post
So what? I can show you 4 YouTube clips of EC too, even nicer goals.
Cool story brah.

Dangleberry is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:44 PM
  #85
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
I'll give you something that isn't a youtube video, not that it is worth the time.

Find the last time that a NYR center, in his rookie and sophomore years, put up 45+ points each year.

Its not a trick question. I'll gladly wait on the answer. The closest you'll find in recent history is one Mike York, who absolutely bombed his second season.

Stepan actually increased his point total by six despite the addition of Brad Richards. Part of that was pp TOI increase. But believe me, this team has much bigger and more pressing issues. Please don't try to oversimplify the problem.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 07:55 PM
  #86
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I'll give you something that isn't a youtube video, not that it is worth the time.

Find the last time that a NYR center, in his rookie and sophomore years, put up 45+ points each year.

Its not a trick question. I'll gladly wait on the answer. The closest you'll find in recent history is one Mike York, who absolutely bombed his second season.

Stepan actually increased his point total by six despite the addition of Brad Richards. Part of that was pp TOI increase. But believe me, this team has much bigger and more pressing issues. Please don't try to oversimplify the problem.
What does the history of ****** Rangers drafts have to do with Stepan?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:02 PM
  #87
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,917
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
What does the history of ****** Rangers drafts have to do with Stepan?
All, all I ever see here is an endless stream of entitled complaints. What it has to do with Stepan, is that he is the single best center iceman we have drafted and produced since Savard. But, when times get tough in the NYR organization, fans turn to try to attack individual players including Stepan, simply because they themselves just can't handle the fact that for the first week of the season, the team didn't play as well as they expected.

People need to learn to follow a team. There doesn't need to be a scapegoat. You don't need to scream at a guy you don't like, or ask for the coach to be fired. The fact that we have threads going at half of this team's roster right now is comical bordering on embarrassing.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:04 PM
  #88
zelrio*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangleberry View Post


/end thread
I personally feel it's been all downhill since his first-game hat-trick.

zelrio* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:07 PM
  #89
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
All, all I ever see here is an endless stream of entitled complaints. What it has to do with Stepan, is that he is the single best center iceman we have drafted and produced since Savard. But, when times get tough in the NYR organization, fans turn to try to attack individual players including Stepan, simply because they themselves just can't handle the fact that for the first week of the season, the team didn't play as well as they expected.

People need to learn to follow a team. There doesn't need to be a scapegoat. You don't need to scream at a guy you don't like, or ask for the coach to be fired. The fact that we have threads going at half of this team's roster right now is comical bordering on embarrassing.
GOAT post.



You can bet this board will be much emptier when the team actually starts winning and certain people disappear conveniently.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:20 PM
  #90
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
All, all I ever see here is an endless stream of entitled complaints. What it has to do with Stepan, is that he is the single best center iceman we have drafted and produced since Savard. But, when times get tough in the NYR organization, fans turn to try to attack individual players including Stepan, simply because they themselves just can't handle the fact that for the first week of the season, the team didn't play as well as they expected.

People need to learn to follow a team. There doesn't need to be a scapegoat. You don't need to scream at a guy you don't like, or ask for the coach to be fired. The fact that we have threads going at half of this team's roster right now is comical bordering on embarrassing.
Again the fact he's the best center we've drafted in a long time is a testament to how ****** the team has scouted guys. Yeah it's a joke there's threads on half the team here, some deserving, others not so much. Pp issues continue to plague the team, is it coaching or is it the players? I don't wanna get off topic here but there certainly are many issues with this team.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:40 PM
  #91
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
All, all I ever see here is an endless stream of entitled complaints. What it has to do with Stepan, is that he is the single best center iceman we have drafted and produced since Savard. But, when times get tough in the NYR organization, fans turn to try to attack individual players including Stepan, simply because they themselves just can't handle the fact that for the first week of the season, the team didn't play as well as they expected.

People need to learn to follow a team. There doesn't need to be a scapegoat. You don't need to scream at a guy you don't like, or ask for the coach to be fired. The fact that we have threads going at half of this team's roster right now is comical bordering on embarrassing.
Well said. I'm finding myself leaving the board more and more disappointed recently and this explains a lot of the reason why better than I could have explained it myself. Thank you.

Stepan has made some boneheaded mistakes so far, as have many other players. He's also putting up points, which others aren't, and he, like most of the players that are struggling on this team right now, has a long history of high quality play and is not about to just fall off a cliff all of a sudden.

haveandare is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
  #92
Colby
HFB Partner
 
Colby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Jeff Halpern was Derek Stepan once. If Stepan don't take another big step, he will become Jeff Halpern. Definitely. Stepan is a very capable offensive hockey player. But not enough talent to on that alone be a good 2nd line center in this league.
Derek Stepan is 22. When Jeff Halpern was 22 he was still playing in college. Halpern's career high is 46 points as a 27 year old in 03/04. Stepan had 45 points as a 20 year old rookie in 10/11.

I agree that Stepan has not been at his best (over a 4 game sample), but I don't see the comparison to Halpern.

Colby is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:06 PM
  #93
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He isn't small, he is 6'0 and he isn't soft.

He was the #2 center last year on the #1 team in the East. That puts a rather large hole in your logic. He is also above average defensively and a good PKer. I know, not important when it comes to evaluating a player.
Are we talking about the same player who disappeared in the playoffs last year and is basically a non factor when the going gets tough? You cannot survive in the NHL on hockey IQ alone, not when there are so many holes in your game. He is a lousy skater, easy as pie to knock off the puck and he is one of the worst faceoff centers in the league!
I deal with reality, not a fantasy world!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:00 PM
  #94
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,859
vCash: 500
Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Nash

would like to see it tried for 1 period without any line changes.

Inferno is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:11 PM
  #95
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Hagelin Richards Gaborik
Kreider Stepan Nash

would like to see it tried for 1 period without any line changes.
I know we used that first line last year, but it strikes me as a little small. I'd like to see something like this:

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik

I have no clue what to do about a third line. Boyle looks terrible. I know Arnott can't skate anymore, but I'd really consider him.

Zil is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 02:24 AM
  #96
lbrowne
Registered User
 
lbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
All, all I ever see here is an endless stream of entitled complaints. What it has to do with Stepan, is that he is the single best center iceman we have drafted and produced since Savard. But, when times get tough in the NYR organization, fans turn to try to attack individual players including Stepan, simply because they themselves just can't handle the fact that for the first week of the season, the team didn't play as well as they expected.

People need to learn to follow a team. There doesn't need to be a scapegoat. You don't need to scream at a guy you don't like, or ask for the coach to be fired. The fact that we have threads going at half of this team's roster right now is comical bordering on embarrassing.
I totally agree. I think it's Chimp that doesn't come on here anymore and I'm kind of the same way. I've taken a step back because I find this section of the board so eager to poke holes in someone's game it's ridiculous. There's always the scapegoat crew but it's down right retarded here now this season.

I have a couple of guys I'm not impressed with so far but they're not part of our original core and I hope they turn it around. But like everyone else it's early in the season for them so I'll sit aside for a bit. These threads on here are getting out of hand.

lbrowne is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 02:31 AM
  #97
Thunderhead
Registered User
 
Thunderhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 5,086
vCash: 50
Send him to Columbus and get Duby back. Can't skate, can't shoot, can't hit. He only makes a good pass, once in a blue moon.

Thunderhead is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 03:51 AM
  #98
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR21 View Post
Derek Stepan is 22. When Jeff Halpern was 22 he was still playing in college. Halpern's career high is 46 points as a 27 year old in 03/04. Stepan had 45 points as a 20 year old rookie in 10/11.

I agree that Stepan has not been at his best (over a 4 game sample), but I don't see the comparison to Halpern.
The comparison is that Stepan now is as good as Halpern was in his prime.

Stepan has not improved at all it seems from last season, and offensively not much from his rookie season (defense, FO etc has of course improved). If he doesn't improve, he will in other words never become better than Halpern was in his prime.

If we signed a 30 y/o UFA and got an exact copy of what we get from Stepan now, or last season, everyone would be up in arms. Stepan isn't 30 y/o, two season he was a 20 y/o and we all loved him, not because of his play really, but because of his potential. One season ago Stepan was 21 y/o, and we all loved him not because of his play but because of his potential. Then he bombed in the PO's when we really needed him, and there might have occured a little crack in the armor. Then this season, after a off-season of 10 month's, he is still the same, maybe a little stronger and smarter defensively but worse shape physically.

My point is just that Stepan gotta keep improving.

Ola is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 04:00 AM
  #99
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Has it already been decided that these things won't happen?
Nah, maybe not.

But the area you hope that Stepan would be able to improve greatly are his skating, speed, stamina, balance and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I'll give you something that isn't a youtube video, not that it is worth the time.

Find the last time that a NYR center, in his rookie and sophomore years, put up 45+ points each year.

Its not a trick question. I'll gladly wait on the answer. The closest you'll find in recent history is one Mike York, who absolutely bombed his second season.

Stepan actually increased his point total by six despite the addition of Brad Richards. Part of that was pp TOI increase. But believe me, this team has much bigger and more pressing issues. Please don't try to oversimplify the problem.
I definitely don't think we have opened 1-3 because of Stepan or that he in the regular season is a big problem for us. To be fair, there were alot of talk about Stepan during and after the PO's. We are now 4 games into the season, after a long off-season.


Last edited by Ola: 01-26-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Ola is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 08:35 AM
  #100
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
Send him to Columbus and get Duby back. Can't skate, can't shoot, can't hit. He only makes a good pass, once in a blue moon.
That would be a downgrade IMO.

__________________
Jabroni is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.