HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa Will Look to Move Ben Bishop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 06:02 PM
  #226
oilers4life5
Registered User
 
oilers4life5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Champions
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Smid is the only defenceman Murray likely has any interest in. Pretty fair deal 1 for 1.
How is that a fair deal? A top 4 hard nosed defensive d man for an unproven back up? Are you serious?

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
  #227
Sens Mile
Registered User
 
Sens Mile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
How is that a fair deal? A top 4 hard nosed defensive d man for an unproven back up? Are you serious?
He is a backup because we have Anderson and the best goalie prospect in the NHL. They are not giving up goalies for table scraps. He was the best goalie in the AHL last year and was going to become UFA unless he played in the NHL for a couple games due to a weird goalie rule. (He wasn't bumping Elliot or Halak). We got him cheap and he is not losing value.

Lindback, unproven- The Nashville Predators traded goalie Anders Lindback and centre Kyle Wilson to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a package of draft picks and minor league goalie Sebastien Caron.

The Predators get two second-round selections (37th and 50th overall) entry draft, plus a third-rounder next season.

Varlamov- On July 1, 2011, Varlamov was traded to the Colorado Avalanche for a first round pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and a second in either 2012 or 2013

Bobrovsky- The Flyers received the Blue Jackets' No. 45 and No. 117 in 2012 draft along with a fourth-round pick in 2013.


Goalies, even unproven, do not come cheap. I am not sure where you value Smid but I can tell you that goalies are not getting cheaper. If you guys feel happy with your goaltender than why are we talking Bishop?


Last edited by Sens Mile: 01-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
  #228
officeglen
Registered User
 
officeglen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
... Goalies, even unproven, do not come cheap ...
wouldn't a 7th pick be cheap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
...in next Friday’s entry draft ...
this season is really short

officeglen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
  #229
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'
 
Marty Straka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Edmonton would probably move Whitney for Bishop. No chance we move Smid though.
I'd pull the trigger on that kind of deal.

__________________
Marty Straka
Twitter: @JT_YosH
Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:46 PM
  #230
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,329
vCash: 500
Bernier to Leafs then Bishop to LA. Just a hunch

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:07 PM
  #231
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,923
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
How is that a fair deal? A top 4 hard nosed defensive d man for an unproven back up? Are you serious?
Yeah.

They gave up Foligno for a defenseman that isn't better than Smid IMO.

I think Ottawa really has their hopes up high. Nobody is going to pay much more than what they paid to get Ben Bishop.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:09 PM
  #232
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,923
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Bernier to Leafs then Bishop to LA. Just a hunch
LA wants Frattin and may be even more than that for Bernier though.

It would suck to lose Frattin+ and then find out Bernier was no better than Scrivens/Reimer.

Frattin has 20 goal potential, great forechecker, responsible defensively. He's a perfect 3rd liner, something the Leafs haven't had in a while.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:43 PM
  #233
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah.

They gave up Foligno for a defenseman that isn't better than Smid IMO.

I think Ottawa really has their hopes up high. Nobody is going to pay much more than what they paid to get Ben Bishop.
Most Sens fans expect something slightly more than a 2nd. The poster suggesting Bishop is worth Smid is far off.

SenateReform is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 07:46 PM
  #234
MikeModano9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 500
I'm thinking he ends up in Washington.

MikeModano9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:11 PM
  #235
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
That has to be one of the stupid comments in this thread.

From Wikipedia: Bishop was the American Hockey League's top goaltender with a 24-14-0 record, a 2.26 goals against average, a 0.928 save percentage, and a league-leading six shutouts through 38 games.

He has posted really good numbers with Binghampton the last 2 years, saved our season last year when Anderson was hurt, and the only reason he hasn't played much is because of the lock jam in St. Louis and now Ottawa.

I don't know how many Binghampton or Ottawa games you've watched (probably not a lot), but Bishop is a very good goalie with amazing size. Instead of checking stats, maybe watch a game or two.
So let me get this straight. Bishop was the best goaltender, but didn't win goaltender of the year in the AHL? He's also played a whopping 23 games in the Senators' system and is the second coming of Jacques Plante? Doesn't fly and smells like a fan base grossly overrating a marginal player who got hot for a period of time. I remember when Chris Kontos was the next sure thing too. Or how about Steve Penney? I'm pretty sure general managers will remember the same type of performances.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:31 PM
  #236
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract
 
CaptainGiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
So let me get this straight. Bishop was the best goaltender, but didn't win goaltender of the year in the AHL? He's also played a whopping 23 games in the Senators' system and is the second coming of Jacques Plante? Doesn't fly and smells like a fan base grossly overrating a marginal player who got hot for a period of time. I remember when Chris Kontos was the next sure thing too. Or how about Steve Penney? I'm pretty sure general managers will remember the same type of performances.
Through those 38 games he was one of the best players I guess. Wikipedia sucks. No ones overrating him, ottawa will want slightly more than what they got for him in return. There's no rush to trade him right now anyway

CaptainGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:33 PM
  #237
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,672
vCash: 500
Lol did someone say Smid for freakin' Bishop was a fair deal?? In what fantasy land does that even make sense?

I'll go with what the hockey experts are saying.

2nd and a lower end prospect. They ain't gettin a top 4.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:33 PM
  #238
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
So let me get this straight. Bishop was the best goaltender, but didn't win goaltender of the year in the AHL? He's also played a whopping 23 games in the Senators' system and is the second coming of Jacques Plante? Doesn't fly and smells like a fan base grossly overrating a marginal player who got hot for a period of time. I remember when Chris Kontos was the next sure thing too. Or how about Steve Penney? I'm pretty sure general managers will remember the same type of performances.
He didn't win goaltender of the year because he played his way into the NHL by being the best goalie over the first half of the season in the AHL. St Louis was forced to trade him because he was clearly ready for the NHL.

If Sens fans thought he was the second coming of Jacques Plante then we wouldn't be trying to trade him. He's proved that he's good enough to be a backup in the NHL and has done enough to warrant a shot at starting.

SenateReform is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:36 PM
  #239
CaptainGiggles
Summer Can Distract
 
CaptainGiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
He didn't win goaltender of the year because he played his way into the NHL by being the best goalie over the first half of the season in the AHL. St Louis was forced to trade him because he was clearly ready for the NHL.

If Sens fans thought he was the second coming of Jacques Plante then we wouldn't be trying to trade him. He's proved that he's good enough to be a backup in the NHL and has done enough to warrant a shot at starting.
I would've said something like this but I was too tired

CaptainGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:37 PM
  #240
StittsvilleJames
Registered User
 
StittsvilleJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Who needs Jacques Plante when we have Bobby Orr on defense?



StittsvilleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:38 PM
  #241
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,672
vCash: 500
"Hey guys we know Bishop has only played 23 games in the NHL and has a career GAA of .902 but he's got this REAL good potential so we're asking for a top 4 defenseman."

I guess I can't blame 'em for trying. All they really want to do is get in on the goaltender racket while it lasts. I pity the fool who pays for this backup.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:39 PM
  #242
StittsvilleJames
Registered User
 
StittsvilleJames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Edmonton has defensemen?

StittsvilleJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:41 PM
  #243
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
He is a backup because we have Anderson and the best goalie prospect in the NHL. They are not giving up goalies for table scraps. He was the best goalie in the AHL last year and was going to become UFA unless he played in the NHL for a couple games due to a weird goalie rule. (He wasn't bumping Elliot or Halak). We got him cheap and he is not losing value.

Lindback, unproven- The Nashville Predators traded goalie Anders Lindback and centre Kyle Wilson to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a package of draft picks and minor league goalie Sebastien Caron.

The Predators get two second-round selections (37th and 50th overall) entry draft, plus a third-rounder next season.

Varlamov- On July 1, 2011, Varlamov was traded to the Colorado Avalanche for a first round pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft and a second in either 2012 or 2013

Bobrovsky- The Flyers received the Blue Jackets' No. 45 and No. 117 in 2012 draft along with a fourth-round pick in 2013.


Goalies, even unproven, do not come cheap. I am not sure where you value Smid but I can tell you that goalies are not getting cheaper. If you guys feel happy with your goaltender than why are we talking Bishop?
The best goalie in the world that has played about half a dozen games since having his trade value established at a second round pick. Without being a homer - how has that increased?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:43 PM
  #244
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StittsvilleJames View Post
Edmonton has defensemen?
6 of em

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:21 PM
  #245
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,923
vCash: 100
Yeah, I'm pretty sure if Edmonton or Toronto were ever interested in Bishop, that's gone now.

I don't see how he's going to be any better than Scrivens/Reimer for the Leafs or Dubie for the Oilers.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
  #246
Hale The Villain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,313
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure if Edmonton or Toronto were ever interested in Bishop, that's gone now.

I don't see how he's going to be any better than Scrivens/Reimer for the Leafs or Dubie for the Oilers.
I'll be the first one to say it: its only one bad game.

By your logic if Bishop had a shutout would he be worth a 1st + good prospect?

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:29 PM
  #247
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Horrific performance by Bishop tonight. This certainly won't help his value.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:33 PM
  #248
Iamok
#Panic
 
Iamok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Horrific performance by Bishop tonight. This certainly won't help his value.
Meh. Negligible.

Unless you were expecting a 1st/top 4-dman or something....

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:34 PM
  #249
The Fuhr
Registered User
 
The Fuhr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
I'll be the first one to say it: its only one bad game.

By your logic if Bishop had a shutout would he be worth a 1st + good prospect?
I don't see how Bishops game justifys the asking price Murray is reported to be asking...

If Bishop played well at least Murray could say... See he's as good as advertised

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:45 PM
  #250
Hale The Villain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,313
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
I don't see how Bishops game justifys the asking price Murray is reported to be asking...

If Bishop played well at least Murray could say... See he's as good as advertised
There's an interest for him around the league, do you blame him for wanting to maximize his return?

I have to assume NHL teams that have interest in Bishop have seen him play before. One game should not significantly affect his value. If he plays like this for another 5 games, well that's another story.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.