HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Any love for Samsonov?

Old
06-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
is also a headcase
That's news to me. I think this term is thrown around way too freely these days.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Marchy79

I really like Sergei Samsonov... I think he'd be a great fit here.

Some players are smurfs, other play like them, and others look like them, but they arent.

That being said, Samsonov is an elite offensive weapon when healthy. And IMO a great fit for Koivu and Kovalev.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

A few years ago I teased the Bruins fans on another site by posting that Samsonov and Gionta are similar, and that Gionta has the advantage of being a New England boy. Those fans told me that Gionta doesn't compare to Sammy. I wonder if they feel the same way now, when Gionta is up and Samsonov is down.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
A few years ago I teased the Bruins fans on another site by posting that Samsonov and Gionta are similar, and that Gionta has the advantage of being a New England boy. Those fans told me that Gionta doesn't compare to Sammy. I wonder if they feel the same way now, when Gionta is up and Samsonov is down.
I'll be honest with you... I never have and never will like Gionta.
I like Sammy, and I would still take him over lil' Bri
Just my honest opinion. I really think Sergei is a gamebreaking player...The Gionta I see is more of a player who excels in fitted roles.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:07 PM
oli500

He would certainly add a hole new dimention to are top six. This guys got tons of speed and and hes the type of player u want in this new nhl. He would give us two solid lines.

Like the old saying goes, if you cant beat them, join them.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:36 PM
NewGuy

I'm guessing that Samsonov will be paid way too much (~ 4 million/year) by some team. I sure hope it's not the Habs because I don't think he is worth anywhere near that amount. He is exciting to watch but his production isn't what you'd expect from someone commanding that much cap space. I'd rather they pick up a more physical player who can play good on the boards and in front of the net. That's the kind of player that is really lacking in Montreal's lineup.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:39 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy
I'm guessing that Samsonov will be paid way too much (~ 4 million/year) by some team. I sure hope it's not the Habs because I don't think he is worth anywhere near that amount. He is exciting to watch but his production isn't what you'd expect from someone commanding that much cap space. I'd rather they pick up a more physical player who can play good on the boards and in front of the net. That's the kind of player that is really lacking in Montreal's lineup.
How much production would you get for 4 million that is physical? Hi production physical players are Joe Thortons and the cost is that much higher.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:47 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierredagenais
Rumor:

Dans les journaux de boston et d'edmonton , il est écrit que Bob Gainey tenterait de faire signer cet attaquant avec le Ch. Un des recruteurs l'aurait mentionné samedi à un journaliste d'edmonton. Sûrement une gaffe de la part de ce recruteur mais en vain.... Croyez-vous que Samsonov serait le bienvenue chez les partisans du Ch, moi j'aime bien sa rapidité mais a quel prix ?

translation:
In the newspapers of Boston and edmonton, it is written that Bob Gainey would try to make sign this attacker with CH. One of the recruiters would have mentioned it Saturday with a journalist of edmonton. Surely a blunder on behalf of this recruiter but in vain....

Do you believe that Samsonov would be it welcome among partisans of CH, me I like his speed but has which price?
any kind of a link? source?

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:47 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
How much production would you get for 4 million that is physical? Hi production physical players are Joe Thortons and the cost is that much higher.
I'd rather pay Langenbrunner 4 million than pay Samsonov the same. It's an overpayment in both cases but at least Langenbrunner brings a grittier game to the table. Samsonov's production is a bit higher but Langenbrunner is a better fit. Montreal isn't going to find a high production physical player for 4 million, but they could find a physical player with decent production at that price instead of paying Samsonov for decent production without the physical aspect.

Old
06-26-2006, 08:48 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D
Higgins - Koivu - Kovalev
Ryder - Arnott - Samsonov
Samsonov is a LW. Personally I'd put him on Kovalev's line; if Gainey signs Arnott as well (although where would he find the dough?) that line can afford a "midget" as you put it, since neither Kovy nor Arnott are precisely small. I'd be worried about having two puckhandlers though, that was why the two Ks were split up. Doubly so if Ribs centers that line, as those would be three players who like to hang onto the puck.

Samsonov is also a right-handed shot, which doesn't hurt. The Habs could use another one on the PP, as they only have Ryder.

It'd be nice. I would like to see a source for the rumor, however.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:52 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Samsonov on top of being small, disappearing through stretches (and games), being totally non-physical and not knowing where to find his own zone, is also a headcase and injury prone. No thanks really...

Edit: and it's not because I hate small players, but I'd rather have a guy like Daniel Briere (I know he's not available).
total b.s.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 09:21 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy
I'd rather pay Langenbrunner 4 million than pay Samsonov the same. It's an overpayment in both cases but at least Langenbrunner brings a grittier game to the table. Samsonov's production is a bit higher but Langenbrunner is a better fit. Montreal isn't going to find a high production physical player for 4 million, but they could find a physical player with decent production at that price instead of paying Samsonov for decent production without the physical aspect.
The Habs need goals. Play Komi with Him or Gui or......

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 09:28 PM
NewGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
The Habs need goals. Play Komi with Him or Gui or......
Playing Komisarek at forward is a non starter. He is a defenceman and should play defence. Latendresse is totally unproven at the NHL level. I hope that he can eventually fill that role but it would be foolish to count on him being that kind of player next season. Adding a physical presence would add more overall offence to the team than could be accomplished simply by adding Samsonov to the top six. Does he really make the players around him that much better?

Old
06-26-2006, 09:58 PM
The n00b King ©*

for those saying that sammy is a midget, that's only partially right.

he's actually really a leprauchaun.

dont believe me?

find a picture of him during the playoffs, with his beard....

now on that basis, id take him on my team because he's a lucky charm!

although id like to find out what kind of leprauchaun the canes had, cuz they outlucked Edmonton...

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:05 PM
HabsoluteFate

He wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldnt be pissed off either if they signed him...
If Montreal is going to put some money out there in the UFA market I would much prefer if they went out to sign a super star type of player....one on defence if possible (Ie Chara, Redden, Blake)
Montreal has some good prospects that I think could make the team this year....Chupchura & Latendresse come to mind

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
goalchenyuk

i read since a 2-3 years that we have to much players that are playing similar game . What with having Saku , Samsy and Plekanec ...

We have some money to sign free agent , and few players to make a trade ; I am sure that they are plenty of players that would fit better our needs , than this other Smurf .

As i already said , Tampa have Modin on the trade list , You have also the Sens that have offered forward Martin Havlat to San Jose for Vesa Toskala ( Rumour from Spectors ).
Also there was that rumour about the Wings that wanted Zednik for Lang . They could also look for a starter as the Blues .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 04:52 AM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Sign samsonov and trade for lang, that could be a really interesting second line...

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Lang-Kovalev

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 05:08 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahqa
Sign samsonov and trade for lang, that could be a really interesting second line...

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Lang-Kovalev
I'd rather take all the Sammy/Lang money and give it to Elias and let Pleks center.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 06:31 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I'd rather take all the Sammy/Lang money and give it to Elias and let Pleks center.
I would like also Elias to be a Habs , but if ever he don't resigns with the Devils , he will be the first forward on the free agents list.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:06 AM
Toro

If were going to add a forward it will be a tough top forward. Langenbrunner comes to mind.

Samsonov is not a power forward.

cheap is another thing though, but he wont be cheap

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:20 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I don't know he has never been consistant and has had more then his fair share of injuries. Add to that he might be seeking 4M$+ and I don't think he would be worth it.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Stone Cutter

A Samsonov type of players can only be usefull here if we can provided him with big and strong teammates that can play with him. At this point in time, we don't have that. If we mange to sign Arnott, he may be a nice addition. Keep in mind that with the new rules, he's the type of players that can really explode (if healty). Look at Afinogenov... I could see Samsonov do better with the proper teammates.

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote