HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Restricted Free Agents

Old
01-25-2013, 04:24 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
If I'm him and I've been struggling with concussion symptoms for almost an entire year, there's no way I'm getting on the ice again. Its not like he's 25 and can still make a lot of money in the league. Sit at home and get paid $8.25 mil over the next 3 years and get well. Retire at age 35.
Yep, that's what I'd do if I were him too. Obviously, hockey players are competitive.. but it's probably not worth it for Monty when he's going to be, at best, a 6th Dman in Chicago and no team, even the ones looking to reach the cap-floor, will take a chance on him when he has serious concussion concerns going forward. The good team's, for obvious reasons won't want him and the team's looking to reach the cap-floor won't because if he's on LTIR most of the time he doesn't help them.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Out of curiosity who needs new contracts this year? I know Stalberg, Kruger, and Leddy... who else? Next season might be the year when we see some of the kids come up to fill holes.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:38 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Kruger = 1.7M for 2 years.
Leddy = 2.85M for 3 years.
Close to my guess. 9 over 3 for Leddy and 3.5 over 2 for Kruger.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:56 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
Out of curiosity who needs new contracts this year? I know Stalberg, Kruger, and Leddy... who else? Next season might be the year when we see some of the kids come up to fill holes.
Bickell, Mayers, Rosi, and Emery. If the Hawks buy out Olesz they will have 7 mil in cap space (around 10 if Monty stays on LTIR) to fill those 7 spots. If for some reason they don't buy out Olesz they will have 4 mil in cap space.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:01 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Bickell will be cheap, if we want him to stay. So far Im interested in keeping Rozy, ESP. with Montador likely done for good. I like Mayers well enough, but it might be time to give his spot to one of the youngins. Emery.... ugh I'd rather not but we will see who's available in the goalie market.

I would really like to keep Stalberg on for 2 more years if possible.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 06:12 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I would really like to keep Stalberg on for 2 more years if possible.
So would I, but I doubt the Hawks will be able to afford him unless Stalberg, Kruger, and Leddy all sign for less than market value.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:18 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
You can't. I should have been more clear. I think one of two things will happen:

1.) Montador's career is over. He and the team are aware that it's over and he'll remain on LTIR until the remaining 2 years (after this season) of his contract run out.

2.) Montador will be cleared at some point before the season ends, Chicago obviously won't play him and they'll buy him out when the season's over.
The buyout option is a little rough. He makes too little to be eligible for a compliance buyout, so it would have to be a dead cap space-eating standard buyout over four years ($1.2m, 1.5, 0.7, 0.7). If he's ever cleared the hawks could put him in Rockford and take a $1.7m cap hit and see how it goes or hopes he retires, try to trade him to a cap floor team and while retaining 50% of his salary (leaving ~$1m per for that team), or just play him thinking he's better than the net of his cap hit-minus buyout (can earn ~$1.5m) while believing there is depth in Rockford if/when he's injured to replace him. All of those options are probably better than just carrying his buyout cap hit for 4 years.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:35 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
The buyout option is a little rough. He makes too little to be eligible for a compliance buyout, so it would have to be a dead cap space-eating standard buyout over four years ($1.2m, 1.5, 0.7, 0.7).
I didn't realize there was a minimum amount required to be eligible for a buyout.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:37 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
The buyout option is a little rough. He makes too little to be eligible for a compliance buyout, so it would have to be a dead cap space-eating standard buyout over four years ($1.2m, 1.5, 0.7, 0.7). If he's ever cleared the hawks could put him in Rockford and take a $1.7m cap hit and see how it goes or hopes he retires, try to trade him to a cap floor team and while retaining 50% of his salary (leaving ~$1m per for that team), or just play him thinking he's better than the net of his cap hit-minus buyout (can earn ~$1.5m) while believing there is depth in Rockford if/when he's injured to replace him. All of those options are probably better than just carrying his buyout cap hit for 4 years.
Any player can be bought-out with the compliance buyout. It was only for this season, an accelerated compliance buyout, where a player had to be making at least 3M and the reason they put that in place was so Redden and Gomez didn't have to sit out all year.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote