HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh, which one irritates you more...?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 09:49 PM
  #1
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,825
vCash: 500
Pittsburgh, which one irritates you more...?

"We didn't get to our game"

or

"The standard is the standard."

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:51 PM
  #2
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd
 
The Tang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,186
vCash: 500
I'll go with the first, because we never seem to get to our game anymore...

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
  #3
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,297
vCash: 500
Everything and anything with this system irritates me. Everythings go go go... shoot shoot shoot... How about a system thats based around puck management, poise or actually controling pucks? How about a system that actually doesn't let MAF/ Vokoun go side to side so much? How about a system that doesn't let every transitional pass get picked off?

In the end I'm sick of seeing a team with Crosby and Malkin play dumbed down hustle hockey.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:07 PM
  #4
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Oh definitely the first one, we hear that EVERY SINGLE TIME WE LOSE! Like, why don't you be a little more intelligent and explain what you did wrong and try to fix it? I was watching WPXI Wednesday night and Crosby said "we didn't get to our game", I rolled my eyes, walked away from the TV and said "whatever"

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:08 PM
  #5
Hockeygod66
Registered User
 
Hockeygod66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,459
vCash: 500
They are both equally pathetic.

Hockeygod66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:12 PM
  #6
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,825
vCash: 500
The Penguins need to get to their game because the standard is the standard.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:13 PM
  #7
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
"We didn't get to our game"

or

"The standard is the standard."
The parallel doesn't extend only to the cliches. It extends also to two organizations who's fortunes have turned as the structure and discipline of the previous coaching regime becomes a more and more distant memory.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:16 PM
  #8
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
The parallel doesn't extend only to the cliches. It extends also to two organizations who's fortunes have turned as the structure and discipline of the previous coaching regime becomes a more and more distant memory.
I'll toss this out there...

Is it all on DB? We do know who's team this is and how he likes things.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:16 PM
  #9
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
The parallel doesn't extend only to the cliches. It extends also to two organizations who's fortunes have turned as the structure and discipline of the previous coaching regime becomes a more and more distant memory.
True. Although for the Penguins, Mario and Ron don't meddle in hockey operations, where as Art II is turning into Jerry Jones Jr.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:22 PM
  #10
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'll toss this out there...

Is it all on DB? We do know who's team this is and how he likes things.
A lot of it is on DB. I don't know what is on Shero.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:25 PM
  #11
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
True. Although for the Penguins, Mario and Ron don't meddle in hockey operations, where as Art II is turning into Jerry Jones Jr.
Perhaps it's time to meddle, like 2008 (the Hossa trade) and 2009 (the Therrien firing).

Go read Andrew Conte's book. There's a part in there about how Pens ownership and brass had a meeting in early January 2009 about what had been a month long full-fledged tail spin.

Burkle asked Shero point blank what his plan was to right the ship: Trades, coaching change, etc? Shero had no plans in place. He was, as always, looking for a trade, and he didn't have any preliminary plans with respect to a prospective coaching change.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:30 PM
  #12
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
A lot of it is on DB. I don't know what is on Shero.
I wasn't talking about Shero. This blahzay attitudes been around Penguin hockey longer than him.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:34 PM
  #13
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Perhaps it's time to meddle, like 2008 (the Hossa trade) and 2009 (the Therrien firing).

Go read Andrew Conte's book. There's a part in there about how Pens ownership and brass had a meeting in early January 2009 about what had been a month long full-fledged tail spin.

Burkle asked Shero point blank what his plan was to right the ship: Trades, coaching change, etc? Shero had no plans in place. He was, as always, looking for a trade, and he didn't have any preliminary plans with respect to a prospective coaching change.
I think good owners pick the right times to get involved. Like Mario and Ron with the Hossa deal and Therrien firing, or Dan Rooney telling Colbert and Cowher to draft Roethlisberger. On the other hand, you have guys like Jerry Jones that want to be in control of literally everything, and even Art II wants to dictate how the Steelers offense should function. Dan Rooney never told Whisenhunt or Cowher how to run the offense. Mario and Ron aren't going to tell Bylsma how to coach.

However, if Mario and Ron find themselves having to give Shero orders to make deals or orders regarding other aspects of hockey operations, then they need to consider parting ways with him and finding another GM not named Brian Burke.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:54 PM
  #14
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I think good owners pick the right times to get involved. Like Mario and Ron with the Hossa deal and Therrien firing, or Dan Rooney telling Colbert and Cowher to draft Roethlisberger. On the other hand, you have guys like Jerry Jones that want to be in control of literally everything, and even Art II wants to dictate how the Steelers offense should function. Dan Rooney never told Whisenhunt or Cowher how to run the offense. Mario and Ron aren't going to tell Bylsma how to coach.

However, if Mario and Ron find themselves having to give Shero orders to make deals or orders regarding other aspects of hockey operations, then they need to consider parting ways with him and finding another GM not named Brian Burke.
Shero is naturally cautious, part of the thing that happens when you make your bones as a David Poile protege and during 'building years' for Nashville and Ottawa before that.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
  #15
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Shero is naturally cautious, part of the thing that happens when you make your bones as a David Poile protege and during 'building years' for Nashville and Ottawa before that.
And that's exactly why the Predators haven't been able to take that next step. Poile is too focused on the future and not the here and now. The Penguins are not a team that is building or a team "for the future," they are a win now team. Shero needs to understand that it's okay to trade away a little bit of the future to help the team win now.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
  #16
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days
 
bathroomSTAAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: **** Mountain
Country: United States
Posts: 10,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I wasn't talking about Shero. This blahzay attitudes been around Penguin hockey longer than him.
Not being a d*** but this is one of the most spectacular misspellings I've ever seen.

It's blasé, for the record.


Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-27-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Edit profanity
bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:39 PM
  #17
cassius
Registered User
 
cassius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,951
vCash: 500
"Pittsburgh Penguins ice hockey" is by far the worst

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:48 PM
  #18
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,511
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Not being a d*** but this is one of the most spectacular misspellings I've ever seen.

It's blasé, for the record.
i'm thinking he was making a pun. if not


Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-27-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Edit profanity in QP
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
  #19
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 500
Get to our game is worse. At least "the standard is the standard" is a mind game that at least has a purpose. It tells backups it's not acceptable to get a chance to play and just mail it in because you're 2nd rate. Still stupid, but at least there's a coach/player dynamic there.

In some ways we've never had an actual system folks. Some of us have been saying this for 2+ seasons. "Dictating the play" and "getting to our game" is not a strategy. That's like a baseball team saying "We want to make sure we hit and throw the ball better than the other team." Okay great, so what happens when the other team doesn't let you do that? We don't have an answer for that question I guess.

Listen, this is a very good team that will make the playoffs and have some sort of chance at a Cup. At the same time as far as coaching goes it's been excuse after excuse for a long time now because of the Cup. Now that it's finally far in the rear view mirror for most people they start complaining about what was almost always there before.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:30 PM
  #20
Til the End of Time
Registered User
 
Til the End of Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 7,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I wasn't talking about Shero. This blahzay attitudes been around Penguin hockey longer than him.
interesting suggestion, which of course no one would ever be willing to talk about.

Til the End of Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
  #21
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days
 
bathroomSTAAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: **** Mountain
Country: United States
Posts: 10,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i'm thinking he was making a pun. if not
Great now I'll look like even more of a d***.


Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-27-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Edit profanity
bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
  #22
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On
 
TheRollingPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,085
vCash: 500
"They're a really good team, and they took it to us."

TheRollingPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:56 PM
  #23
td_ice
Peter shows the way
 
td_ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,857
vCash: 500
Definitely the first one. Simply for the way it is stated.

When used as "we didn't get to our game".....it is synonymous with a blanket excuse to generalize failure.
The standard thing doesn't bother me at all. I actually like that answer. As in, "yeah, so what if he is backup, we still expect him to play well." As a fan, I expect the same.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:38 PM
  #24
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,244
vCash: 500
Definitely "We didn't get to our game"

Its the coach's responsibility... and sounds too cliche.

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:41 PM
  #25
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
The standard is the standard, if only because DB doesn't throw out as many cliches as Tomlin.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.