HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RRP's "Hey I'm Tanked, Where's Cole's +/-?"

Old
01-25-2013, 11:33 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Next game:

Dupuis - Crosby - Kennedy
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Tangradi
Glass - Vitale - Adams (is too much to ask for to get Jeffrey in here for Adams though?)

Niskanen - Letang
Orpik - Martin
Despres - Bortuzzo

- Bylsma not acting like a ****tard.
- Forwards not leaving the zone too early, and no more trying to throw passes up the middle with nobody there for support.
- Defense stop turning the puck over with long stretch passes.
- Roll 4 lines consistently, and stop tinkering with **** that clearly won't work.
I'm pretty sure a coaching change would address those four minuses. Then again, I've been pretty sure of that several times in the last 12 months or so.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:33 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
The amount of fakes he had towards the end was driving me nuts, just put the puck on net. Which is a challenge for him..
The sooner he's off the PP, the better. Your #1 D-man can't get a shot through to the net, what a joke.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
Malkin, Neal, and 7 1st round picks for Ovechkin. he hahs pashun

nah, scratch that. we'd have to add.
It's not even that. I think teams need a good influx of new guys to keep things fresh. We just have too many guys that have been around for a long while, and (maybe this is just my crazy mind) I feel that leads to complacency. Vitale and Sutter have been good but it hasn't done enough.

Adams and Cooke I'm thinking of specifically. Kunitz to a lesser extent.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:35 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
- Everyone but Vitale and Niskanen were ****, mostly on account of the endless giveaway parade. Nearly all of our forwards gave the puck away two or three times in the last 2 periods... maybe not Neal. Can't recall him doing it but he didn't get many good shots off either except that post at the end.

- Danny Disco (he got outcoached in a big way after the weekend, but especially tonight... Noel made him look stupid). I am starting to lose my belief in this guy's ability. He's still a young coach but at some point, learn from your damn mistakes dude.

Granted it's only 4 games in after a long lockout and guys are out of shape and not sharp but still, no excuse for that level of slop.
Crosby and Malkin are more important than Dan Bylsma's learning curve, and what we've seen the last two games is not a novel development.

Shero won't do anything soon, and I think he'll come to regret the decision. This isn't 2009. You can't **** around diddling to make the move that was obvious two months earlier.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:36 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
The sooner he's off the PP, the better. Your #1 D-man can't get a shot through to the net, what a joke.
I'm much more comfortable with Nisky on the point. Has a bomb, can pass without fumbling it, and simply puts the puck on net.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:36 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
It's not even that. I think teams need a good influx of new guys to keep things fresh. We just have too many guys that have been around for a long while, and (maybe this is just my crazy mind) I feel that leads to complacency. Vitale and Sutter have been good but it hasn't done enough.

Adams and Cooke I'm thinking of specifically. Kunitz to a lesser extent.
It's kinda hard to infuse new guys into the lineup when your coach refuses to give unproven guys a shot. 9:00 of ice time per night just isn't going to cut it.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:37 PM
Boocock

Such a terrible second period... I don't know what the fix is, but it has to be found quickly.

Boocock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygod66 View Post
Cole lead us astray. He committed hara-kiri.
Cole seems really into the X's and O's of the game. I'd recommend the NFL philosophy of just burning the tape when it comes to this kind of performance though. You'd be stuck in front of your TV for days trying to breakdown all the mistakes from this game.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
grover just said: but look how Bylsma coached last year (mening succesful) same guy who let his team fell apart at the end of the season, who didn't have any answers to New York friggin Islanders, not even getting to the Philly series

Bob Grove has a good pulse on what is prevalant feeling in Pens organization and that is that Bylsma is a great coach and they are always play or two away from greatness
Well then, Shero is the problem.

I just hope Mario and Burkle intervene before it's too late (maybe as soon as this summer, when Geno, after another underachieving team season, is showing some reluctance to sign an extension).

Old
01-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
It's kinda hard to infuse new guys into the lineup when your coach refuses to give unproven guys a shot. 9:00 of ice time per night just isn't going to cut it.
Not necessarily talking about Tangradi or inevitably Bennett when he arrives. Just adding new players in general. Free agents and such.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:40 PM
MonsterSurge

I thought Engelland played relatively well tonight. I just wish he'd learn how to hit...

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I agree Bylsma had a horrendous late regular season and the early playoff exit but to be fair and what Grove may be talking about is that Bylsma did do some good things last year. Sidney Crosby missed 60 games, Jordan Staal missed 20 games, Kris Letang missed 31 games and the team still had 108 points. The year before Crosby and Malkin both missed about half the regular season and they had 106 points. That is impressive. That said, they say coaches all have an expiration date and Bylsma's may be rapidly approaching if the current struggles in the regular season continue or another early playoff exit happens.
Nobody would disagree that Bylsma has overachieved in the regular season when the team is short handed. The issue is what they've done the rest of the time under his tutelage, how the team has looked at those times, and how much of it can be traced back to Bylsma's capabilities or lack thereof as a NHL coach.

Old
Shady Machine

I'll give it a few more games before I freak out.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:41 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Thing is, it's not just about the wins and losses. I want to see how the Pens are winning or how they are losing.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:41 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
I'm just concerned that all we are seeing right now is more of the same that cost us last season. It's certainly not getting any better, and neither is Bylsma's decision making.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:42 PM
mpp9

Quote:
That timeout with 12 seconds left threw me over the edge. Guy just doesn't know how to make best use of his assets.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I'm just concerned that all we are seeing right now is more of the same that cost us last season. It's certainly not getting any better, and neither is Bylsma's decision making.
I definitely agree I just don't know what to say. I'm just keeping hope that Bylsma will change and if we go on a skid for the next few, heads will roll.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Nobody would disagree that Bylsma has overachieved in the regular season when the team is short handed. The issue is what they've done the rest of the time under his tutelage, how the team has looked at those times, and how much of it can be traced back to Bylsma's capabilities or lack thereof as a NHL coach.
I agree. The team has been underwhelming at full strength especially in the playoffs since the Cup win.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:44 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
That timeout with 12 seconds left threw me over the edge. Guy just doesn't know how to make best use of his assets.
That was pretty infuriating.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:45 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Reminded me of some Tomlin ****

I'm telling you, the guy is Tomlin . . . from inheriting and winning a championship with a previous coach's team and sense of structure and discipline to the mind numbing cliches to the horrible bench/sideline management to the getting schooled in the X's and O's department and now to a point where it's just a country club atmosphere.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:45 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
I definitely agree I just don't know what to say. I'm just keeping hope that Bylsma will change and if we go on a skid for the next few, heads will roll.
This is a season where you can't really afford to sit around and "wait and see." I think Shero has to take into account last season when making a decision on what to do.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Shero definitely is not the problem. He attempted to solve the problem last summer and got outbid because his team is not located in Minnesota. What was left after that was panda-rific. Semin, Doan et al... those guys aren't solving our problem long term and he was going into a new CBA where he had no idea what the cap would be, etc.

He also pulled a great trade with Carolina. Whether you like his drafting or not no one can argue instead of losing Staal for nothing or getting scraps for him, we literally got the best possible replacement out there and at a cheaper price. I don't want to go into all of Shero's moves but Shero is a very smart GM and he and his Cap guru know their ****.

Bylsma on the other hand, seems to be showing that he does not know his ****... namely that he's unable to adjust this team mid-game or mid-series when the pressure is on. Not saying give up on Disco immediately but maybe Shero and Mario need to have a talk with him and say "look you're not flexible enough in the way you're coaching this team... systems are great but when a system isn't working in the middle of a game you need to be able to make rapid adjustments, especially in the playoffs... provide different looks." Maybe light a fire under the coach's ass (and the players' ***** by making a trade no one expects). That's if this ******* play continues for another week or so.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I agree. The team has been underwhelming at full strength especially in the playoffs since the Cup win.
At what point is Bylsma on the hook for that?

Now?

After another early playoff exit?

When Malkin perhaps isn't as eager to re-sign as some fully expect?

After Mario and Burkle tell Shero he's accountable?

Either he's a bad coach or they're not trying/have tuned him out. What I'm watching is the same **** I was watching in January 2009, right down to the WTF look on Sid's and Geno's faces at the end of the game.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:48 PM
mpp9

I'd sooner not make any trades if I'm Shero and see how DB does.

Nothing would piss me off more than to see Sid/Geno's dominant play with legit talent cover up DB's ********.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:49 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Shero definitely is not the problem. He attempted to solve the problem last summer and got outbid because his team is not located in Minnesota. What was left after that was panda-rific. Semin, Doan et al... those guys aren't solving our problem long term and he was going into a new CBA where he had no idea what the cap would be, etc.

He also pulled a great trade with Carolina. Whether you like his drafting or not no one can argue instead of losing Staal for nothing or getting scraps for him, we literally got the best possible replacement out there and at a cheaper price. I don't want to go into all of Shero's moves but Shero is a very smart GM and he and his Cap guru know their ****.

Bylsma on the other hand, seems to be showing that he does not know his ****... namely that he's unable to adjust this team mid-game or mid-series when the pressure is on. Not saying give up on Disco immediately but maybe Shero and Mario need to have a talk with him and say "look you're not flexible enough in the way you're coaching this team... systems are great but when a system isn't working in the middle of a game you need to be able to make rapid adjustments, especially in the playoffs... provide different looks." Maybe light a fire under the coach's ass (and the players' ***** by making a trade no one expects). That's if this ******* play continues for another week or so.
Part of a general manager's job is to decide when a coach needs to be fired and how much latitude to give him in terms of use of personnel and choice of assistants.