HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers win 2-1: Overcoming Adversity.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
I was 9 years old at that game with my Dad. He tricked me into thinking we were going to a Trappers game. Great memories.
Your dad sounds like a ringer. Good stuff. Memories that last forever.

Man that game was something. I thought the roof would come off. I've been to two SC winning games and several concerts and I don't know I've ever heard it louder.

There were two virtual explosions of enthusiasm in the game, when we tied late, and then the OT winner. But the build up in the 3rd and between 3rd and OT was incredible. There was an energy in the building the whole time after the Oilers scored the first goal. I believe it was 3-0 Dallas at one point.

It seemed liked the building and atmosphere just swallowed up the stars and allowed the Oil to take over. It was like the crowd giving the hometeam the PP the entire 3rd period and OT. Incredible game. Dallas lost their vaunted composure, and ultimately series, by blowing that game and everbody there sensed what was upcoming.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:13 PM
M Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Not crazy about it, but I am old...school.

It was sincere happiness, though. I can live with it.
You need to watch more soccer my friend. Can't understand why you northamericans are so towards celebrating goals?

Haven't you seen Batistutas k-pist, or Gilardinos violin or even more old school Roger Millas dance.

We are paying for entertainment for god sake

M Ace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Man that game was something. I thought the roof would come off. I've been to two SC winning games and several concerts and I don't know I've ever heard it louder.

There were two virtual explosions of enthusiasm in the game, when we tied late, and then the OT winner. But the build up in the 3rd and between 3rd and OT was incredible. There was an energy in the building the whole time after the Oilers scored the first goal. I believe it was 3-0 Dallas at one point.

It seemed liked the building and atmosphere just swallowed up the stars and allowed the Oil to take over. It was like the crowd giving the hometeam the PP the entire 3rd period and OT. Incredible game. Dallas lost their vaunted composure, and ultimately series, by blowing that game and everbody there sensed what was upcoming.
That series also highlighted what a poor playoff goaltender Andy Moog was. It provided a nice bookend to the Oilers decision to go with Fuhr as the #1 during the dynasty years.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
That series also highlighted what a poor playoff goaltender Andy Moog was. It provided a nice bookend to the Oilers decision to go with Fuhr as the #1 during the dynasty years.
Yeah, the difference in the two was Moog would get angry in situations and start fighting it and Fuhr was mostly unflappable. Except for the time he gave the crowd the "Trudeau finger salute"

Fuhr is such a character. Somehow he had the perfect goaltending disposition for that club. Guy never worried about his GAA, stats etc, but was money with the games on the line. The most important thing was making all the saves at the important times.

ps The Oilers had already undressed Moog before in the SC win. He didn't much like playing us after leaving town.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Yeah, the difference in the two was Moog would get angry in situations and start fighting it and Fuhr was mostly unflappable. Except for the time he gave the crowd the "Trudeau finger salute"

Fuhr is such a character. Somehow he had the perfect goaltending disposition for that club. Guy never worried about his GAA, stats etc, but was money with the games on the line. The most important thing was making all the saves at the important times.
I'm always going to remember Cujo making save after save and then Moog lets in that Smyth slapper (I'm being generous by calling a slapper) five hole in OT.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
you could see the fire in his eyes when he got robbed on that deke by quick, his eyes just wanted to scream but he kept it composed and potted the GTG
He got put up on the big screen going back to the bench and he was swearing in Russian pretty enthusiastic like

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I'm a little surprised that we all aren't a little bit more excited about what happened last night. Yes - I know we're excited, but we should be even MORE excited.

We're witnessing the transition of a young team from doormats to contenders. It's what we've been waiting for after years of tanking, and it's happening right before our eyes. We've all dreamed of the kinds of epic feats that are about to happen on a nightly basis here, and now the dreams will slowly become reality over the next two to three years.

I suspect a lot of us are still in eternal pessimism mode, just waiting for the other shoe to drop and the rebuild to blow up. And hey, that still might happen. But we should enjoy the journey, because that's what makes the destination so much more gratifying in the end.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Alex87

Quote:

Yep, I believe the comeback started with less than ten minutes to go in the third.

If you guys wanna watch the highlights for that game, it starts at about 12:43 in this video:

I remember being surprised about how loud it got even after the first goal, thinking that people were just happy that we ruined Moog's shutout. But when we scored the second, the top of that building went nuts and you knew the Stars were in trouble.

Quote:
I'm a little surprised that we all aren't a little bit more excited about what happened last night. Yes - I know we're excited, but we should be even MORE excited.

We're witnessing the transition of a young team from doormats to contenders. It's what we've been waiting for after years of tanking, and it's happening right before our eyes. We've all dreamed of the kinds of epic feats that are about to happen on a nightly basis here, and now the dreams will slowly become reality over the next two to three years.

I suspect a lot of us are still in eternal pessimism mode, just waiting for the other shoe to drop and the rebuild to blow up. And hey, that still might happen. But we should enjoy the journey, because that's what makes the destination so much more gratifying in the end.
I agree, even last year when the Oilers started well, there was a sense that we were getting a bit lucky. I'd still like to see that coveted "x" next to our name in the standings though come April.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Enlighten

Quote:

/thread

Enlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Ace View Post
You need to watch more soccer my friend. Can't understand why you northamericans are so towards celebrating goals?

Haven't you seen Batistutas k-pist, or Gilardinos violin or even more old school Roger Millas dance.

We are paying for entertainment for god sake
I love some of the Euro football celebrations. I can't remember which player it was, but after scoring in the opposition's home pitch, he went around putting his finger to his lips to shut them all up. Man that was a beautiful thing hahaha

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Hard not to get excited about this team, but at the same time I'm trying to not get too excited. Take a look at the schedule for the season. The only team that isn't good is Columbus. It's going to be a tough season, hopefully we keep the pedal to the metal and catch good teams off guard.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I for one didn't have my voice in the morning, lost it in Rexall last night

Old
01-25-2013, 10:15 PM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Also, I know I shouldn't be, but I'm shocked how many people are annoyed with Yak's celebration.

The kid is in his rookie season, scoring a clutch goal, who the hell wouldn't celebrate like that? The amount of 'controversy' that's arisen from that celebration is a joke. People need to stop being butt hurt over things like that.
Ya, but more importantly, some of the guys in the lockerroom feel that way. I didnt like when Belanger said firmly "He's not going to do that again" I know he isnt going to fly down the ice each time but if you think he isnt going to have some exuberant celebrations than i can see a problem, what a buzz kill. Its interesting since Krueger joked "he could do that 25 times this year"

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Arpeggio

It was so nice to hear the building get loud again too. Just about every time it happens the team steps it up big time. Once the crowd got behind the team last year during Gagner's 8 point game there was no stopping the Oilers. Hopefully the team continues to give the crowd a reason to get loud, and if they make the playoffs, look out.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Travis093
Travis

I hate to say it but, Yaks shooting % is unsustainable.

Travis093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
IV XIV XCI

Meantwhile, this young kid Justin Schultz, he's not bad.

3 games.
3 points.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:

I live in Calgary and was listening to the Fan 960 today talking about Saturday's game. And I noticed that there's a real sea change in how the Oilers are being talked about in other markets.

In years past, a market like Calgary would trot out the usual cliches about the BoA/rivalry/etc and then go into the normal talk about whatever was the issue of the day for that team; Iginla scoring or not scoring, how Kipper is playing, etc.

You're starting to notice now that this has changed. Now, its much more about, 'what do we have to do to beat the Oilers?'. Like instead of the conversation being about Baertschi and his play and why he's being scratched or what have you, its now, 'well, if we take Baertschi out, we can play Begin and we need good penalty-killers so that PP doesn't kill us, and Baertschi might hurt us defensively against all that offense. . .'

You see this on other teams' boards here, you hear it other markets besides Calgary, too.

Before, the Oilers were just the backdrop for whatever was going on with the opposition. Now, its becoming, 'how do we stop these guys?'

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:

If you guys wanna watch the highlights for that game, it starts at about 12:43 in this video:

This brought back some incredible memories.

Those series were always amazing.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:06 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
I live in Calgary and was listening to the Fan 960 today talking about Saturday's game. And I noticed that there's a real sea change in how the Oilers are being talked about in other markets.

In years past, a market like Calgary would trot out the usual cliches about the BoA/rivalry/etc and then go into the normal talk about whatever was the issue of the day for that team; Iginla scoring or not scoring, how Kipper is playing, etc.

You're starting to notice now that this has changed. Now, its much more about, 'what do we have to do to beat the Oilers?'. Like instead of the conversation being about Baertschi and his play and why he's being scratched or what have you, its now, 'well, if we take Baertschi out, we can play Begin and we need good penalty-killers so that PP doesn't kill us, and Baertschi might hurt us defensively against all that offense. . .'

You see this on other teams' boards here, you hear it other markets besides Calgary, too.

Before, the Oilers were just the backdrop for whatever was going on with the opposition. Now, its becoming, 'how do we stop these guys?'
I listened to that this morning too, and was thinking the same thing.

before it was "Oilers coming to town, wonder if Kipper gets a shutout, or maybe they play the backup and save him for the next game?"

"Wonder how man guys get on the scoresheet, etc."

Now it's " Who tries to match up against Hall and Eberle, but then who do we have to play against Gagner and Yakupov,etc."

We're finally seeing the team grow into a real team, and not an afterthought.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

This BOA game tomorrow will really set the tone for our new guard.
Calgary has had no problem beating us handily over the last few years, barring the last 2 times we played them last year.
Hopefully the team gets fired up and shows up in Calgary to lay a beating down on them.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:17 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This BOA game tomorrow will really set the tone for our new guard.
Calgary has had no problem beating us handily over the last few years, barring the last 2 times we played them last year.
Hopefully the team gets fired up and shows up in Calgary to lay a beating down on them.
Not only that, but we've had big games like last night's before. . . and follow up is usually a couple loses in a row and right back to the gutter again.

If the Oil can come out and really take it to the Flames, it would be a huge statement and a huge step forward.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:30 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Yep, I believe the comeback started with less than ten minutes to go in the third.

I remember being surprised about how loud it got even after the first goal, thinking that people were just happy that we ruined Moog's shutout. But when we scored the second, the top of that building went nuts and you knew the Stars were in trouble.
Whatever happened to Ken Chilibeck???

Old
01-25-2013, 11:32 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Whatever happened to Ken Chilibeck???
A quick google scan turned up this:

http://www.mediacastermagazine.com/n...ng/1000031382/

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

It takes a lot to get me excited these days. But yeah, it did. Volume on the surround was pumped to 11, I was with the usual "**** yeah, **** see how you like that, in your face etc." While madly screaming GAAAAGGGGGNNNEEERRRR!!!!

The wife humored me for a bit then went upstairs not quite sure what was wrong with me as intensity was bulging from my eyeballs..

I couldn't sleep for 3hrs, was basically high on adrenaline, and posted like a rabbit on dexedrine for hours. I think I probably had 25 posts last night.

Then I had to get up at 6am for work.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:47 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Takes me back to the playoff game against Dallas in 97 When the Oilers were 3 goals down in the third period and scored 3 goals to tie and won it in OT. A couple thousand people left the game early.
I was there too. Never left a game early in my life, never will, barring an emergency.

Funny thing about that game was I went with a group of co-workers(not corporate seats, we all bought season tickets as a group,) one of our managers got kicked out for being a drunken idiot, and was all mad because none of the rest of us left with him!!

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote