HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Board Lounge IX: You Can't Lock this out (Until it hits 1,000)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
I'm living in (near) Seattle and looking forward to maybe getting an NHL team. Talked with James Mirtle on Twitter about it the other day, and he compared it to Raleigh. Curious as to how valid some NC natives think that comparison is. There are obviously some key differences:
  • Hockey participation in WA is higher than NC, but not by much
  • Seattle is bigger, but Raleigh probably has closer 'other' large population centers
  • Similar tech company influences.
  • Relatively high income areas nearby
  • The Hurricanes obviously have less pro-sports competition
  • But probably more college sports competition
  • Seattle is set up with a nearby rival (Vancouver), I don't know that the Canes have a rival even now (Maybe the Capitals?)
Seattle would be a good fit for a team, that place is pro sports crazy. I know the top priority is getting the Sonics back, but I think an NHL team would be embraced up there. Something's telling me that the NHL is looking at Seattle rather then QC as the relocation option for Phoenix if it goes that way.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
I'm living in (near) Seattle and looking forward to maybe getting an NHL team. Talked with James Mirtle on Twitter about it the other day, and he compared it to Raleigh. Curious as to how valid some NC natives think that comparison is. There are obviously some key differences:
  • Seattle is bigger, but Raleigh probably has closer 'other' large population centers
  • Seattle is set up with a nearby rival (Vancouver), I don't know that the Canes have a rival even now (Maybe the Capitals?)

choc full of yankee hipsters is how i would explain the similarities between the cities

Old
01-24-2013, 01:12 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Seattle would be a good fit for a team, that place is pro sports crazy. I know the top priority is getting the Sonics back, but I think an NHL team would be embraced up there. Something's telling me that the NHL is looking at Seattle rather then QC as the relocation option for Phoenix if it goes that way.
That's what Mirtle seems to think, and it would do the NHL well (at least geographically as far as realignment is concerned) to keep a team out west. That the Sounders (MLS) sell extremely well says a lot for another niche sport coming to the city. (And also the decent attendance for the WHL's Seattle Thunderbirds and Everett Silvertips.)

Old
01-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
Quote:
Wow, not really too flattering to Raleigh or the Canes in that list, are ya?

Seeing how the Sounders have taken off in Seattle makes me think it's VERY low-risk as a hockey market. As far as getting a team there, if you bring one, they will come.

As far as our rivals go, we don't have one signature rival but there's certainly some teams we've got some history with. Florida hates us, Jersey hates us, we hate Buffalo, and between those three we've got enough "rivalry" to make up for not having a single enemy.

I do think the similarity exists in that Raleigh was an untapped market that they brought a team to and ultimately had success with. But besides that they're not too much alike. A lot more meth here, a lot more suicide there. At least hockey's indoors though so the games won't get rained out!

Old
01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Wow, not really too flattering to Raleigh or the Canes in that list, are ya?

Seeing how the Sounders have taken off in Seattle makes me think it's VERY low-risk as a hockey market. As far as getting a team there, if you bring one, they will come.

As far as our rivals go, we don't have one signature rival but there's certainly some teams we've got some history with. Florida hates us, Jersey hates us, we hate Buffalo, and between those three we've got enough "rivalry" to make up for not having a single enemy.

I do think the similarity exists in that Raleigh was an untapped market that they brought a team to and ultimately had success with. But besides that they're not too much alike. A lot more meth here, a lot more suicide there. At least hockey's indoors though so the games won't get rained out!
Well there aren't too many true rivalries in the NHL thanks to watered down division/conference play. Philly - Pittsburgh, Boston - Montreal, Vancouver - Chicago, Edmonton - Calgary, Toronto - Success.

One thing I wonder about is HRR, merch sales, and the like. I'm not really sure if there's a good way to estimate that or not.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Well there aren't too many true rivalries in the NHL thanks to watered down division/conference play. Philly - Pittsburgh, Boston - Montreal, Vancouver - Chicago, Edmonton - Calgary, Toronto - Success.

One thing I wonder about is HRR, merch sales, and the like. I'm not really sure if there's a good way to estimate that or not.
To be honest, with the way they've taken to the Sounders "culture," I wouldn't be surprised if they could play that up as far as merch is concerned. Those giant team flags, scarves, that whole kind of thing, could really take to hockey well.

Personally I'd love to see a team there. Like you said the WHL works there, the Seahawks and Sounders work there (not sure about the Mariners attendance and even though you guys are getting them back we saw what happened to the Sonics the first time). I think it makes sense. I don't think the league is in a position for another expansion team, just my opinion, but the next time someone is in a position to take off Seattle would be the place!

Old
01-24-2013, 01:27 PM
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
To be honest, with the way they've taken to the Sounders "culture," I wouldn't be surprised if they could play that up as far as merch is concerned. Those giant team flags, scarves, that whole kind of thing, could really take to hockey well.

Personally I'd love to see a team there. Like you said the WHL works there, the Seahawks and Sounders work there (not sure about the Mariners attendance and even though you guys are getting them back we saw what happened to the Sonics the first time). I think it makes sense. I don't think the league is in a position for another expansion team, just my opinion, but the next time someone is in a position to take off Seattle would be the place!
The Mariners are cheap and have made some bad personnel decisions and a lot of people here hate them, kind of like the Golisano-era Sabres, but without a salary cap to even the field.

I don't think the time for expansion is right either, but I would eventually like to see a 32 team league. Something about four conferences of eight teams just seems nice.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Agreed.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

I think there has got to be some sort of bubble as far as the sports market goes in a city. Every city has a sort of carrying capacity with regards to how many sports teams it can support, usually tied to personal income. Obviously there are other variables that make some cities more sports crazy cities than others, of course, but I really have to wonder if Seattle could get an NBA and NHL team without some or all pro teams there taking a hit.

01-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

This looks pretty sick tbh

Old
01-24-2013, 08:36 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Both Seattle and the Raleigh-Durham area have a pretty high number of IT workers IIRC. That and both have a high number of college grads.

So yeah, I can see comparisons between the two.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:39 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by jussi trollinen View Post
this looks pretty sick tbh

THE DOOR IS OPEN.

(anti-caps filter)

Old
01-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

So why is there no pre-game trash talk going on in here? Does nobody care about ACC basketball because hockey's new and fresh again off the lockout?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
So why is there no pre-game trash talk going on in here? Does nobody care about ACC basketball because hockey's new and fresh again off the lockout?
There's no rivalry. Who cares about State Basketball?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
There's no rivalry. Who cares about State Basketball?
Oh, silly me. I forgot.

Did you get a ticket?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Oh, silly me. I forgot.

Did you get a ticket?
Nope. I wish. Did you?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:49 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Nope. I wish.
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I got a ticket for UNC, but not one for Clemson (wtf?)

I'm also going to try to head out there tomorrow morning to try to get in on the College Gameday thing.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I got a ticket for UNC, but not one for Clemson (wtf?)

I'm also going to try to head out there tomorrow morning to try to get in on the College Gameday thing.
Nice. Oh wait. Have fun watching a 100-0 thrashing by the Tar Heels against Moo U.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Nice. Oh wait. Have fun watching a 100-0 thrashing by the Tar Heels against Moo U.

You mean 100 points from McAdoo, right? Not even including the rest of the team...

On a bizarre side note, I blame State's recent losses on Dr. Silverberg, the dynamics professor. The class day before the Maryland game, we did a problem trying to figure out the best 3-point shot possible in college basketball. And then Scott Wood went to shoot 3/11 from 3-point range. Then, the lecture before the Wake Forest game, he has us do a problem where he hypothetically has a person commit suicide and wants us to determine radial/tangential acceleration and velocity with the person committing suicide named Scott. Wood has another relatively poor game.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
You mean 100 points from McAdoo, right? Not even including the rest of the team...

On a bizarre side note, I blame State's recent losses on Dr. Silverberg, the dynamics professor. The class day before the Maryland game, we did a problem trying to figure out the best 3-point shot possible in college basketball. And then Scott Wood went to shoot 3/11 from 3-point range. Then, the lecture before the Wake Forest game, he has us do a problem where he hypothetically has a person commit suicide and wants us to determine radial/tangential acceleration and velocity with the person committing suicide named Scott. Wood has another relatively poor game.
I blame him/her. No, really.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Luckily, though, we did not have any questions on Thursday that could possibly throw Wood off his game tomorrow. So I think we'll be okay on that front against UNC.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Novacane
My Hero

What is the approximate energy, in Joules, it takes Mark Gottfried to call a timeout? In addition, calculate the time it takes for the ref to notice this motion and then blow his whistle.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
What is the approximate energy, in Joules, it takes Mark Gottfried to call a timeout? In addition, calculate the time it takes for the ref to notice this motion and then blow his whistle.
Or the approximate force needed for Brown to foul Alex Len required for the referee to call a non-shooting foul?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:10 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
THE DOOR IS OPEN.
How long until the world's greatest hardwood makes a long awaited return

Old
01-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal