HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RRP's "Hey I'm Tanked, Where's Cole's +/-?"

Old
01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I'd sooner not make any trades if I'm Shero and see how DB does.

Nothing would piss me off more than to see Sid/Geno's dominant play with legit talent cover up DB's ********.
Good point. That's how it played out in 2009.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I found the timeout hilarious because of how meaningless it was. It's almost like Bylsma asked the ref if he could save his timeout for the next game and when the ref said no Bylsma spent it just so his timeout wouldn't go to waste.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

I said it before the season started that I had a feeling that Bylsma was going to make me very frustrated this year. So far so good.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I said it before the season started that I had a feeling that Bylsma was going to make me very frustrated this year. So far so good.
And, Shero fiddles while the Penguins burn . . .

Old
01-25-2013, 10:52 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I found the timeout hilarious because of how meaningless it was. It's almost like Bylsma asked the ref if he could save his timeout for the next game and when the ref said no Bylsma spent it just so his timeout wouldn't go to waste.
I was out with my parents watching the game. I could not believe what I witnessed. Instead of resting your three best players for doubleshifts, you use it with 12 seconds left?

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:53 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
And, Shero fiddles while the Penguins burn . . .
Should I break this photoshop back out again that I made from the last time he needed to fire a coach?

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I was out with my parents watching the game. I could not believe what I witnessed. Instead of resting your three best players for doubleshifts, you use it with 12 seconds left?
Hey, another parallel with Tomlin . . . the mind numbing use of timeouts.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:56 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Should I break this photoshop back out again that I made from the last time he needed to fire a coach?

Why not. From what I recall, we were ahead of the curve on that one too.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:00 PM
cheesedanish87

One thing that really sucks for the pens is that its such a huge game for all these teams that play against the pens these teams treat it like a playoff game and its hard for the pens to play against that every game.

I still like sutter hes a good 3rd line center but they lost so much offense from losing staal its basically up to sid geno and neal to score now.

cheesedanish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:03 PM
electricsleep

+Sid, Vitale, Vokun

=Dupuis....Had a couple nice hits and was good on the forecheck but his hands are back to being brutal

-Kunitz is playing like dog ***, I think its time to move him back with Malkin and Neal to see if he can simplify his game.

-Bylsma. No adjustments to the D zone coverage or the breakout. You should have your best players handling the puck as much as possible. Instead of stretch passes to wingers that handle the puck like a grenade have your elite centermen carry the puck and work some simple give and go's through the neutral zone. Another flaw in the system is that as soon as a someone secures possession in the D zone everyone starts cheating up ice to try and push the play. At least 5 times in the past two games I've seen a D man get the puck, take too much time making a decision, get pressured by a forechecker then blindly throw the puck around behind the net hoping that someone is there to bail them out, only to have their D partner cheating up near the blue line leading to a board battle/turnover.

Glass doesn't look like much more than a 4th liner to me. The 3rd line was bad tonight. They barely were able to sustain any kind of cycle or offensive zone time. I'd bet he'll be about as effective as Tangradi if he gets a shot on Malkin's line. I'd much rather see Cooke or Vitale get a shot.

electricsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:03 PM
mpp9

Niskanen is the real deal. Would hate to lose him.

Sutter looks straight up awkward offensively. We have zero scoring depth at the moment. Gonna hope that changes.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:09 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Niskanen is the real deal. Would hate to lose him.

Sutter looks straight up awkward offensively. We have zero scoring depth at the moment. Gonna hope that changes.
With or without clicking your heels?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Penguinzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
- Bylsma.
1. I think we have been among the worst passing teams in the league for a couple of seasons. Ought not be possible.
2. We have a defensive system that negates our strengths and inflates our weaknesses.
3. When things go south, we are incapable of adjustments and seemingly never get a hand from the bench.
4. I am completely baffled why Despres got scratched. The third pairing had largely been effective, and I thought Despres played a very decent game against Toronto. Suppose someone had to get punished and sure enough it will be the youngest player on the team. What we then got instead was the worst performance of any Pens pairing this short season so far with Lovejoy being clearly the worse of the two.

Anyway... I don't rate Bylsma and never have, so maybe I am being biased here. But I think we exhibit every indication that we are a poorly coached team.

There were numerous players deserving stick in this one, particularly Kunitz, Lovejoy, Cooke, Letang and Sutter. Tangradi also, being very unnoticeable when he didn't look obviously weak. Won't knock Geno's line as they were only ones creating offense, and it wasn't their mistakes causing chances against in general.

On the plus side.... Sid, Vokoun (Buff bomb and pretty WPG execution on both the other goals), King Vitale, Duper and Niskanen.
lol... I may have had 1 or 2 many beers. One or too many? Whatever... but I was reading this and thought those were post-game Bylsma quotes and was happy he realizes what's going wrong, then I realized that what?

Penguinzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:33 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Lounge Hero

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I was quite pissed off after that game and just couldn't talk hockey.

Simple stuff... it's hockey 101. Don't turn the puck over. How about... support the ****ing puck carrier. We are making 60 foot passes 24/7. How about a 5-7 foot pass every now and again? A board chip/support/etc.

People can ***** about our roster all they want. Our lineup is freaking great. We need better coaching. Plain and simple. You can switch lines.... it won't mask your **** system.

Any other coach would catch on that TK struggled on his off-wing. Stop putting him in a position to lose the puck. Anyone else would have called a time out against a hostile crowd. It's just a joke anymore. He's not a coach for this team. Bring on the next one.

edit: The passing comes down to one thing - puck support. There is none of it. We are looking for sexy long passes all game. Any good NHLer picks it off. Support the puck carrier.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:56 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Simple stuff... it's hockey 101. Don't turn the puck over. How about... support the ****ing puck carrier. We are making 60 foot passes 24/7. How about a 5-7 foot pass every now and again? A board chip/support/etc.

People can ***** about our roster all they want. Our lineup is freaking great. We need better coaching. Plain and simple. You can switch lines.... it won't mask your **** system.

Any other coach would catch on that TK struggled on his off-wing. Stop putting him in a position to lose the puck. Anyone else would have called a time out against a hostile crowd. It's just a joke anymore. He's not a coach for this team. Bring on the next one.

edit: The passing comes down to one thing - puck support. There is none of it. We are looking for sexy long passes all game. Any good NHLer picks it off. Support the puck carrier.
With respect, Cole, check the new CBA. There's a clause in there that prohibits the Pens from making 3-5 foot passes and from providing puck support. Where the players are doing things like these on the ice that are suggestive of good coaching, then a 2 minute penalty will be assessed. It's in the section that excludes Malkin from penalties being assessed for teams that commit on ice gang **** against him.

Oh, and seriously, you're absolutely right about the other part. It's early December 2008 all over again. Only question now is when Shero sees it and whether he acts in time. With a 48 game season and no real breaks, I don't think he's got much of it.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
There were a lot of minuses for the individual players, but the main things that made me rage tonight were the ridiculous number of turnovers and those God damn stupid stretch passes that kept getting intercepted.

Bylsma, adjust your ****ing strategy when it's not working! Those stretch passes didn't work once.

Individually, it's good to see Sid's 2 goal effort, but other than that our offensive weapons looked really bad. A lot of turnovers, very little creativity, and a bunch of shots that went directly into the shin pads of the Jets' defensemen.

Letang had a pretty poor game, I thought. He seemed kind of slow, for some reason. Usually his skating allows him to separate and give himself some room, but it seemed like he could never get past a Jet forechecker.

To those folks who insist we have enough offense and there's no need for top six winger help, note this: In three of the four games this season, we've only managed to score two goals on opposition goalies (Philly saw an empty netter make the final 3-1). Only in the Rangers game were we able to score more than 2 goals on a goalie.

You're not winning too many games if you're scoring 2 goals per game, especially when your defense (team, not just the 6 man unit) is turning over the puck constantly and giving up 3+ goals per game.

Strangely enough, despite that long diatribe, I'm not all that upset. Not as much as the Leaf game. Primarily it's because hopefully Shero will see that the current roster isn't good enough to go all the way, and the more these glaring holes keep costing games, the more likely he'll address the issues.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:06 AM
TheSniper26

Not many pluses. Crosby's rounding back into form, Vokoun kept us in it, Niskanen was solid and the 4th line seemed ok. Martin wasn't horrible either. The rest were either totally invisible or outright bad. In particular, Letang, Sutter, Cooke, Engelland and Lovejoy all seemed to have pretty miserable nights.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Coaching and system are the Pens biggest problems but I'll have to disagree that the man power is OK.

There are holes on the first line, second line and in the top 4 D. Those are huge when a team is a target every night like the Pens.

Most of all I hate how middle of the pack this team is. They're not overly offensive, defensive, tough, skilled, mean, big, great on the special teams or fast. This team is stale and it might be all the way up the ranks.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:07 AM
SaturdayNightSlegr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Pens lost to the ******* Jets and I saw Lovejoy do a stupid split-thing on the 3rd goal. Tha ****?
http://www.tsn.ca/Story/Image.aspx?p...430&height=298

I've never really minded the rev, but this is getting ridiculous.

SaturdayNightSlegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:18 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

A couple thoughts:

Lovejoy is not NHL material. Period. That should have been his last game.

We did what we love to do and took our foot off the gas after Sid put us up 2-0.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:21 AM
The Old Master

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturdayNightSlegr View Post

his play might need some......but l think he was far from the worst deman out there lastnight for a guy thats been on the bench

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Al Smith

I don't get the group-hate for Lovejoy. He was OK, no worse than any other D, except Niskanen. But didn't Niskanen wildly miss the net with the extra man, which eliminated some good pressure? D-men weren't giving the puck in their own end. I believe it was forwards most of the time.

Dupuis looked like the pre-20-goal Dupuis with the hands of stone (on Sid's second goal, I think he must have thought I'm not going to let Duper screw up another pass and took it himself). Sutter missed two open nets. I don't care if he's a "defensive" center, he should bury at least one of those. Kunitz looked bad, for the most part.

The play in the first four games is pretty much what you'd expect without training camp. I think they'll be OK.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturdayNightSlegr View Post

Thats the system making players look bad. Both defensemen were behind the net and Lovejoy had to scramble back to the front after a Neal turnover.

I thought Lovejoy was pretty good last night but he's Ben Lovejoy and he's going to get ranked on.

Case in point... How many times did you see Letang "backchecking" last night? Yet you don't hear anything about him.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:15 AM
catdaddy
Has left da building

+ Niskanen-maybe he can teach Letang how to get a shot on net
+ Vokoun-probably just fired his agent for taking Shero's call
++ My DVR failed to record the 3rd period...seriously, DB took his timeout when we're2 goals down with 12 seconds left???? Saved the paramedics a trip to my house.

catdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Kesid
The House of Penguin

+ Vitale
+ Niskanen
+ Vokoun
+ Crosby

- Sutter (FO% 23%)
- Kunitz