HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Wasting talent in CHL, evidence

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 10:56 PM
  #251
Jeez
Jay Jay
 
Jeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Praha - Islands
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Nobody, but seriously some people need to stop talking about these issues so much and starting with some crap anti North American views because the young players want to come over and play in NA.
You know, what is it no alternative ? For some nations, the others are ok with it.

Jeez is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:56 PM
  #252
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
Don't you mean, this is exactly the reason, why to have your best KHL players under control in your own team. Build up some chemistry and so on.
Chemistry's all for naught when the skill level isn't there and the players are too weak physically and not used to playing against more physical opponents.

Jussi is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:07 PM
  #253
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Nobody, but seriously some people need to stop talking about these issues so much and starting with some crap anti North American views because the young players want to come over and play in NA.
I generally take huge issue when some people talk about these players as if they were their country's property or as if they owe their country/federation/club to be playing at home or until a certain age. We are still talking about individuals here, they make their own choices based on what they think is best for themselves and we really need to accept it and also that sometimes it doesn't work as planned. I mean really, we're all just anonymous posters at an internet message board, none of us possess even remotely close skill as these kids, we really shouldn't be the first ones to tell them they're wrong or stupid.


Last edited by Jussi: 01-26-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Jussi is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:16 PM
  #254
Jeez
Jay Jay
 
Jeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Praha - Islands
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Chemistry's all for naught when the skill level isn't there and the players are too weak physically and not used to playing against more physical opponents.
Quote:
Also keep in mind its on european ice. Canada has never medal'd on european ice since NHL players have been allowed to go while the czechs have won gold and bronze. I know that argument doesnt seem like much but I don't think its a coincidence in 98 in nagano it was all european teams winning medals. in 02 in salt lake it was can vs usa in 06 in torino all european teams medal'd and in 2010 in vancouver it was can vs usa.
It is not so clear, how you presenting it.

Jeez is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:39 PM
  #255
Dynamo81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moscow,Russia
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Nobody, but seriously some people need to stop talking about these issues so much and starting with some crap anti North American views because the young players want to come over and play in NA.
I find the majority of posters here think it is better for them to stay in Russia and fully develop followed by heading to the NHL (if they want to). Some of the kids leave for the CHL while still being very raw. I think the CHL has benefited some Russian players, I also believe some players may have been even better offensively had they played a while longer in Russia and some players simply left too early for their own good (If they stayed in Russia would their careers have panned out differently? that will always be open for debate).

It is not some Anti-North American Agenda, it is making players in Russia realize that they can stay at home/develop and if they have nothing more to learn in Russia go to North America. It is up to them, it is their career but they need to know that establishing themselves in Russia can be just as or even more beneficial for their career. Right now many young players just bolt to North America as soon as possible to get drafted/noticed by scouts. Some have said that they believe the longer they stay in Russia the less likely they are to be drafted or the less likely they are to play in the NHL. As I have said already, it works out for some, especially those that are quick learners however some leave far too early.

Dynamo81 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:50 PM
  #256
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
It is not so clear, how you presenting it.
Doesn't matter what happened in the past, different players around now and last Spring showed their true level. Huge issues against North Americans of whom only Canada had any big stars around. We really need more defensemen playing in the NHL against these guys "every day".


Last edited by Jussi: 01-26-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Jussi is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 11:57 PM
  #257
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
I find the majority of posters here think it is better for them to stay in Russia and fully develop followed by heading to the NHL (if they want to). Some of the kids leave for the CHL while still being very raw. I think the CHL has benefited some Russian players, I also believe some players may have been even better offensively had they played a while longer in Russia and some players simply left too early for their own good (If they stayed in Russia would their careers have panned out differently? that will always be open for debate).

It is not some Anti-North American Agenda, it is making players in Russia realize that they can stay at home/develop and if they have nothing more to learn in Russia go to North America. It is up to them, it is their career but they need to know that establishing themselves in Russia can be just as or even more beneficial for their career. Right now many young players just bolt to North America as soon as possible to get drafted/noticed by scouts. Some have said that they believe the longer they stay in Russia the less likely they are to be drafted or the less likely they are to play in the NHL. As I have said already, it works out for some, especially those that are quick learners however some leave far too early.
I agree they would probably develop better if they stayed in most cases especially at 17 years old but they choose not too. It is their decision that they decided upon with agents and family. If fans and posters don't like it there is nothing they can do, if the Federation doesn't like it then they will come up with ideas to keep them which I'm sure they have been . The only thing that angers me is the talks of "oh we have so many great players we developed here in Russia and everyone wants to see and talk about them. They are original and Canadians cannot compare, they learned everything from Europeans." Stupid...

wings5 is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 12:20 AM
  #258
Jeez
Jay Jay
 
Jeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Praha - Islands
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I agree they would probably develop better if they stayed in most cases especially at 17 years old but they choose not too. It is their decision that they decided upon with agents and family. If fans and posters don't like it there is nothing they can do, if the Federation doesn't like it then they will come up with ideas to keep them which I'm sure they have been . The only thing that angers me is the talks of "oh we have so many great players we developed here in Russia and everyone wants to see and talk about them. They are original and Canadians cannot compare, they learned everything from Europeans." Stupid...
Canadians did not learned everything from Europeans. They did learned something. Aswell as Europeans from them. Yes I agree with Jussi also

Don't be angry. You can answer to some arrogant Russian posters, that all what they know about hockey is from Czechoslovakian coaches in past


Last edited by Jeez: 01-26-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Jeez is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 09:23 PM
  #259
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,761
vCash: 500
Grigorenko scored his first NHL about 5 minutes ago. Clearly CHL has ruined him...

Jussi is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 10:14 PM
  #260
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Grigorenko scored his first NHL about 5 minutes ago. Clearly CHL has ruined him...
Still too early to tell but I feel it was the wrong decision. He could have returned to Quebec to lead his team on a playoff run for one more year then make the jump. It wasn't the right decision for Neidereitter, Johansen, Connolly, Sheppard, Brassard etc so I'm very skeptical.

wings5 is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 02:50 AM
  #261
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,205
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Its not always free choice, for those of you that think these guys love coming here and free choice blah blah. NHL teams press for these guys to go there, even though many of them rather would stay home... I can tell you because he is playing in my home town, Kohklachev would rather be in KHL but Boston forced him to Windsor. I know some ugly behind the scene stuff about the OHL team owners, all I will say is they are trouble makers and schemers. I imagine this happens regularly, like why does Gavrus come back to OS?

malkinfan is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 03:39 AM
  #262
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Kohklachev would rather be in KHL but Boston forced him to Windsor. I know some ugly behind the scene stuff about the OHL team owners, all I will say is they are trouble makers and schemers. I imagine this happens regularly, like why does Gavrus come back to OS?
I'm not saying what Boston does is good or clever, but they are not actually forcing him. Kohklachev could just give the NHL the cold shoulder, whether he wants to play there (as soon as possible) is up to him - his free choice. Once he has made that decision in favour of the NHL he is not free anymore to choose the path (he wants: KHL -> NHL, Boston wants: CHL -> NHL). Which is a shame, but he is not "forced" to play in Windsor in the categorical sense of the word, only in a conditional sense: IF he wants to play in the NHL (as soon as possible), he has to...

Theokritos is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:17 AM
  #263
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Grigorenko scored his first NHL about 5 minutes ago. Clearly CHL has ruined him...
lol, your argument is not even scratching the surface of the thread

cska78 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
  #264
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Meanwhile a likely top-3, top-5 Russian 95 project Dikushin has gone from that to not being called up to NT anymore...that's USHL, but for me it's not different, it's not home where he was supposed to develop and turn into a heck of a player.

cska78 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:22 AM
  #265
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
lol, your argument is not even scratching the surface of the thread
It was directed at an unnamed poster.

Jussi is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
  #266
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I generally take huge issue when some people talk about these players as if they were their country's property or as if they owe their country/federation/club to be playing at home or until a certain age. We are still talking about individuals here, they make their own choices based on what they think is best for themselves and we really need to accept it and also that sometimes it doesn't work as planned. I mean really, we're all just anonymous posters at an internet message board, none of us possess even remotely close skill as these kids, we really shouldn't be the first ones to tell them they're wrong or stupid.
You're still missing the completely simple, fundamental business point. To use an analogy, its like business conglomerates who go to third world countries to take precious natural resources out, and pay nothing for them. The company is guaranteed two things: (1) access to resources at far cheaper prices than their real value, and (2) preventing the third world country from amassing enough capital to compete with the conglomerate.

Your argument that Finland does better in international tournaments with an NHL-based lineup than with players from the KHL is laughable. First, it is rare indeed when Finland excels in major tournaments. As in the WC in 2011, the stars and the planets have to align in rare cosmic formations for Finland to do well at all. In the vast majority of tournaments, finishing 4th or 5th is a great accomplishment for Finland. Why? Finland produces too few good hockey players to be a consistent competitor. Why is that? At least part of the reason probably has to do with maintaining the status quo that you so staunchly defend. "Sell off all of our assets cheap" seems to be your motto. In the end, Finland has too few resources to hope to finish better than 4th or 5th in the overwhelming majority of international tournaments.

Yakushev72 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:50 PM
  #267
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post

Your argument that Finland does better in international tournaments with an NHL-based lineup than with players from the KHL is laughable. First, it is rare indeed when Finland excels in major tournaments. As in the WC in 2011, the stars and the planets have to align in rare cosmic formations for Finland to do well at all. In the vast majority of tournaments, finishing 4th or 5th is a great accomplishment for Finland. Why? Finland produces too few good hockey players to be a consistent competitor. Why is that? At least part of the reason probably has to do with maintaining the status quo that you so staunchly defend. "Sell off all of our assets cheap" seems to be your motto. In the end, Finland has too few resources to hope to finish better than 4th or 5th in the overwhelming majority of international tournaments.
Best on best tournaments we've faired better than Russia. With NHL players. Last year we had supposed KHL stars, best players were NHL players or those with plenty of NHL experience (Ossi Väänänen).

As for why Finland produces so few quality players, you need to take a look at the size of the country and the number of registered junior players. The player pool is smaller than the other top countries to begin with. In addition the quality of coaching is very low at the moment, for far too many years in junior hockey the coaches put winning ahead of players development plus the federations had Nuori Suomi (Finland Youth for lack of better translation) program which recommended equal playing time and teams in the youngest age groups and far too many teams in other sports as well took this too literally. With the winnings of last year's World, the Finnish hockey fed has finally began to hire special regional talent coaches that will teach sills to kids and methods to coaches. Though I have some doubts whether there are enough of such people around here. In general there isn't tah big sponsor money in Finnish sports compared to Sweden e.g. because the communal experience has died down from the 60' or 70's. Selling of players isn't really a big business nor has it ever been due to fact that players agents are smart enough to get opt-out clauses (non-NHL) for their clients which the clubs can't afford to not offer(because some other club will). So how exactly do you think Finnish clubs can get more money for their players, I'm still waiting for a list of such actions?

Jussi is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 06:58 PM
  #268
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Best on best tournaments we've faired better than Russia. With NHL players. Last year we had supposed KHL stars, best players were NHL players or those with plenty of NHL experience (Ossi Väänänen).

As for why Finland produces so few quality players, you need to take a look at the size of the country and the number of registered junior players. The player pool is smaller than the other top countries to begin with. In addition the quality of coaching is very low at the moment, for far too many years in junior hockey the coaches put winning ahead of players development plus the federations had Nuori Suomi (Finland Youth for lack of better translation) program which recommended equal playing time and teams in the youngest age groups and far too many teams in other sports as well took this too literally. With the winnings of last year's World, the Finnish hockey fed has finally began to hire special regional talent coaches that will teach sills to kids and methods to coaches. Though I have some doubts whether there are enough of such people around here. In general there isn't tah big sponsor money in Finnish sports compared to Sweden e.g. because the communal experience has died down from the 60' or 70's. Selling of players isn't really a big business nor has it ever been due to fact that players agents are smart enough to get opt-out clauses (non-NHL) for their clients which the clubs can't afford to not offer(because some other club will). So how exactly do you think Finnish clubs can get more money for their players, I'm still waiting for a list of such actions?
How to avoid the current status quo of Finnish Super Liga teams populated by guys who by definition are not worth buying a ticket to see play? Here's my list of what Finland can do: (1) raise the transfer fee agreement with the NHL from $250,000 to $2 million, (2) Significantly upgrade the quality of the Super Liga, or (3) join other leagues like the KHL that seek to take total monopolistic control of world hockey away from the NHL. Finland is a small country, but its a very affluent small country. There is plenty of money in the domestic economy to upgrade Finnish hockey - there is just no one with a vision to do it.

You are completely missing the point when you talk about national federations "owning" hockey players. Of course they have no ownership of players, but they can exercise leverage to obtain transfer agreements that fairly compensate Finland for its role in developing those players. Seemingly, if they can keep at least some of the best players at home, Finnish fans will have players that are worth paying to see. That is what the KHL is trying to do, and frankly, there are quite a few Finnish players in the KHL. Finland will benefit by sending more and more of their best players to play in Russia, and the players will benefit as well. If Finns are content to continue to be a source of cheap raw materials for NA markets, then I assume the status qo will remain in place.

Yakushev72 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
  #269
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,205
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
I'm not saying what Boston does is good or clever, but they are not actually forcing him. Kohklachev could just give the NHL the cold shoulder, whether he wants to play there (as soon as possible) is up to him - his free choice. Once he has made that decision in favour of the NHL he is not free anymore to choose the path (he wants: KHL -> NHL, Boston wants: CHL -> NHL). Which is a shame, but he is not "forced" to play in Windsor in the categorical sense of the word, only in a conditional sense: IF he wants to play in the NHL (as soon as possible), he has to...
mmm, Theokritos I think this is not the situation as it would be with other guys. He is signed by the Bruins so leaving to play where ever he wants would be starting a bigger war than he is worth between the NHL/KHL. He must go where they say since both sides (KHL/NHL) seem to be enforcing contractual agreements (Visnovsky/Prohorkin).

malkinfan is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:18 PM
  #270
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
How to avoid the current status quo of Finnish Super Liga teams populated by guys who by definition are not worth buying a ticket to see play? Here's my list of what Finland can do: (1) raise the transfer fee agreement with the NHL from $250,000 to $2 million, (2) Significantly upgrade the quality of the Super Liga, or (3) join other leagues like the KHL that seek to take total monopolistic control of world hockey away from the NHL. Finland is a small country, but its a very affluent small country. There is plenty of money in the domestic economy to upgrade Finnish hockey - there is just no one with a vision to do it.

You are completely missing the point when you talk about national federations "owning" hockey players. Of course they have no ownership of players, but they can exercise leverage to obtain transfer agreements that fairly compensate Finland for its role in developing those players. Seemingly, if they can keep at least some of the best players at home, Finnish fans will have players that are worth paying to see. That is what the KHL is trying to do, and frankly, there are quite a few Finnish players in the KHL. Finland will benefit by sending more and more of their best players to play in Russia, and the players will benefit as well. If Finns are content to continue to be a source of cheap raw materials for NA markets, then I assume the status qo will remain in place.
First of all it's SM-Liiga (SM = Suomen mestaruus = Finnish championship.

1) It's not up to us to raise the transfer money, there's nothing we can do about it. As I said, the option of not being without a transfer agreement is not an option, that $250K is still worth one star players salary in SM-liiga, Finnish and Swedish clubs realized the they're better off getting that than nothing.

2)Improve the quality of SM-liiga, the bigger issues lie in club management and the league itself cannot take over the actions of a club like in NHL. It's not something you can do by snapping your fingers. Contrary to the KHL, SM-Liiga is not run by sugardaddys who don't expect profits from their teams. Economic situation in the world and Finland shows in the clubs budgets which can't be raised anymore. Here's the players budgets for this season (in brackets the placement in spending the previous year, followed by increase/decrease from the previous year):

1. Jokerit, 3 000 000€, (3) +100 000€
2. Kärpät, 3 000 000€, (8) +200 000€
3. HIFK, 2 900 000€, (6) +100 000€
4. Lukko, 2 600 000€, (9) +100 000€
4. KalPa, 2 600 000€, (5) +145 000€
6. Pelicans, 2 300 000€, (2) +300 000€
7. JYP, 2 200 000€, (1) -100 000€
8. Tappara, 2 200 000€, (12) +350 000€
9. Ässät, 2 150 000€, (7) +300 000€
10. Blues, 1 874 000€, (4) +274 000€
11. TPS, 1 800 000€, (10) -150 000€
12. HPK, 1 700 000€, (13)
13. llves, 1 550 000€, (14) -100 000€
14. SaiPa, 1 350 000€, (11) +150 000€

There isn't that much money in Finland to increase the budgets, sponsors are strict these times with their money and they cover much of the the teams budgets for some teams.

3) Joining KHL isn't something one can do right away. There's no domestic money for such a project and the current SM-Liiga care about their fans and their reactions as well (the fans really care about seeing HIFK, Jokerit, Tappara, Kärpät etc.). Your talks of global hockey control is also getting a little too tinfoil hat type...

Finnish hockey will improve the more players we get to NHL, you will not find a single hockey journalist/expert in Finland that would disagree with that notion. They've repeated that fact themselves several times. Our KHL players are also consisting far too much of players that are looking for their "last big paycheck", instead of developing players. Their performances in EHT have also been less than stellar this year. It's a simple fact, we live by our NHL players in international tournaments in addition to tactically outplaying the opponents. We don't stand a chance with only KHL and SM-Liiga players.

Jussi is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
  #271
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
mmm, Theokritos I think this is not the situation as it would be with other guys. He is signed by the Bruins so leaving to play where ever he wants would be starting a bigger war than he is worth between the NHL/KHL. He must go where they say since both sides (KHL/NHL) seem to be enforcing contractual agreements (Visnovsky/Prohorkin).
Signed by the Bruins? Actually he decided to sign with the Bruins! His choice.

Theokritos is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 10:14 AM
  #272
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
First of all it's SM-Liiga (SM = Suomen mestaruus = Finnish championship.

1) It's not up to us to raise the transfer money, there's nothing we can do about it. As I said, the option of not being without a transfer agreement is not an option, that $250K is still worth one star players salary in SM-liiga, Finnish and Swedish clubs realized the they're better off getting that than nothing.

2)Improve the quality of SM-liiga, the bigger issues lie in club management and the league itself cannot take over the actions of a club like in NHL. It's not something you can do by snapping your fingers. Contrary to the KHL, SM-Liiga is not run by sugardaddys who don't expect profits from their teams. Economic situation in the world and Finland shows in the clubs budgets which can't be raised anymore. Here's the players budgets for this season (in brackets the placement in spending the previous year, followed by increase/decrease from the previous year):

1. Jokerit, 3 000 000€, (3) +100 000€
2. Kärpät, 3 000 000€, (8) +200 000€
3. HIFK, 2 900 000€, (6) +100 000€
4. Lukko, 2 600 000€, (9) +100 000€
4. KalPa, 2 600 000€, (5) +145 000€
6. Pelicans, 2 300 000€, (2) +300 000€
7. JYP, 2 200 000€, (1) -100 000€
8. Tappara, 2 200 000€, (12) +350 000€
9. Ässät, 2 150 000€, (7) +300 000€
10. Blues, 1 874 000€, (4) +274 000€
11. TPS, 1 800 000€, (10) -150 000€
12. HPK, 1 700 000€, (13)
13. llves, 1 550 000€, (14) -100 000€
14. SaiPa, 1 350 000€, (11) +150 000€

There isn't that much money in Finland to increase the budgets, sponsors are strict these times with their money and they cover much of the the teams budgets for some teams.

3) Joining KHL isn't something one can do right away. There's no domestic money for such a project and the current SM-Liiga care about their fans and their reactions as well (the fans really care about seeing HIFK, Jokerit, Tappara, Kärpät etc.). Your talks of global hockey control is also getting a little too tinfoil hat type...

Finnish hockey will improve the more players we get to NHL, you will not find a single hockey journalist/expert in Finland that would disagree with that notion. They've repeated that fact themselves several times. Our KHL players are also consisting far too much of players that are looking for their "last big paycheck", instead of developing players. Their performances in EHT have also been less than stellar this year. It's a simple fact, we live by our NHL players in international tournaments in addition to tactically outplaying the opponents. We don't stand a chance with only KHL and SM-Liiga players.
Finland will not improve in international competition with more players in the NHL, since there is no known correlation between number of players in the NHL and international success. Look at Russia in the 1990's and the early part of the 21st century - upwards of 90 Russian players on NHL rosters and abysmal failure in international tournaments. Unless by some miracle all Finnish players happen to be on the same NHL team, there is no coordination or combinational play among players who never play together. Also, you have repeatedly seemed to say that Finland has no capacity to produce more good players, so you have to make up your mind which is true.

This whole discussion, which should probably be closed out, started when some poster early in the thread (it may have been you) suggested that Russia should get realistic and come to tow to the NHL's transfer fee arrangements. Russia and the KHL don't want to encourage their best players to go to the NHL - they want them to stay home and entertain Russian fans and grow the sport. It is in their best interest to lock down players when they can. Players have the option of going to NA when their contract is completed, but they can't and shouldn't have it both ways. They shouldn't be able to jump their contracts, and then when things don't work out, come back to the KHL is if they never left.

Yakushev72 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
  #273
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Finland will not improve in international competition with more players in the NHL, since there is no known correlation between number of players in the NHL and international success. Look at Russia in the 1990's and the early part of the 21st century - upwards of 90 Russian players on NHL rosters and abysmal failure in international tournaments. Unless by some miracle all Finnish players happen to be on the same NHL team, there is no coordination or combinational play among players who never play together. Also, you have repeatedly seemed to say that Finland has no capacity to produce more good players, so you have to make up your mind which is true.

This whole discussion, which should probably be closed out, started when some poster early in the thread (it may have been you) suggested that Russia should get realistic and come to tow to the NHL's transfer fee arrangements. Russia and the KHL don't want to encourage their best players to go to the NHL - they want them to stay home and entertain Russian fans and grow the sport. It is in their best interest to lock down players when they can. Players have the option of going to NA when their contract is completed, but they can't and shouldn't have it both ways. They shouldn't be able to jump their contracts, and then when things don't work out, come back to the KHL is if they never left.
Russia's issues on international level wasn't the number of NHL players, you very well know that there where bigger issues than that /(ie. coaching, team mentality/play). Finland has no issues with team play if the team harmony and coaching is there (like in Torino 2006 and WC 2011). BUT we need our best NHL players to achieve that because the KHL players are not enough. You talk of chemistry but ignore the fact that there's no guarantee that the players would play in the same team or lines even in KHL. Jori Lehterä's been our best players in KHL the past two seasons, yet has done absolutely nothing while playing for the national team, despite getting to play with Enlund. Also I never said Finland doesn't have the capacity, just that we're not on a level playing field when it comes to the player pool. Our problems lie within the coaching in the juniors and the incapability to develop players better. A team in the KHL wouldn't just magically change things around.

That wasn't me. I realize that there's little chance of Russia signing a transfer agreement with the NHL, the one they seek would make players from other leagues or countries seem inferior and the NHL won't get on board with anything like that.

You should try saying that "Finland won't improve in international competition with more NHL players" to some Finnish journalist. You'd be met with laughter. Try tweeting that to this guy for example (he speaks English well): https://twitter.com/EskoSeppanen

Jussi is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
  #274
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Russia's issues on international level wasn't the number of NHL players, you very well know that there where bigger issues than that /(ie. coaching, team mentality/play). Finland has no issues with team play if the team harmony and coaching is there (like in Torino 2006 and WC 2011). BUT we need our best NHL players to achieve that because the KHL players are not enough. You talk of chemistry but ignore the fact that there's no guarantee that the players would play in the same team or lines even in KHL. Jori Lehterä's been our best players in KHL the past two seasons, yet has done absolutely nothing while playing for the national team, despite getting to play with Enlund. Also I never said Finland doesn't have the capacity, just that we're not on a level playing field when it comes to the player pool. Our problems lie within the coaching in the juniors and the incapability to develop players better. A team in the KHL wouldn't just magically change things around.

That wasn't me. I realize that there's little chance of Russia signing a transfer agreement with the NHL, the one they seek would make players from other leagues or countries seem inferior and the NHL won't get on board with anything like that.

You should try saying that "Finland won't improve in international competition with more NHL players" to some Finnish journalist. You'd be met with laughter. Try tweeting that to this guy for example (he speaks English well): https://twitter.com/EskoSeppanen
Its interesting that you could somehow manage to try to make a dichotomy between Russians in the NHL and Finns in the NHL as to how they play on national teams. Please expound on your theory that Russia's failures while featuring lineups with NHL stars at every position (e.g., the 2000 World Championship team in St. Petersburg that featured guys like Bure and Yashin in their prime, and still finished in 11th place) was due to "coaching/team play." What were the specific coaching deficiencies that you detected, and how did they serve to tie the hands of some of the World's greatest hockey players. I can't wait to hear how you extrapolate your calculus of the national differential of NHL matriculation syndromes!

As for Finnish journalists, and what their opinion is of the NHL, I have to say that I am not even slightly curious. I hope they love the NHL, and derive as much pleasure from it as you do. To each his own!

Yakushev72 is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 01:32 PM
  #275
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 44,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Its interesting that you could somehow manage to try to make a dichotomy between Russians in the NHL and Finns in the NHL as to how they play on national teams. Please expound on your theory that Russia's failures while featuring lineups with NHL stars at every position (e.g., the 2000 World Championship team in St. Petersburg that featured guys like Bure and Yashin in their prime, and still finished in 11th place) was due to "coaching/team play." What were the specific coaching deficiencies that you detected, and how did they serve to tie the hands of some of the World's greatest hockey players. I can't wait to hear how you extrapolate your calculus of the national differential of NHL matriculation syndromes!

As for Finnish journalists, and what their opinion is of the NHL, I have to say that I am not even slightly curious. I hope they love the NHL, and derive as much pleasure from it as you do. To each his own!
Oh ffs, dig you even watch the games or are you just trolling? Every one could see that the home team was nothing but a bunch of individuals, there was not even a semblance of team play. The fact that the coach was unable to contain the players speaks of his ineptitude. Different story in 2008 and last year when the big stars played for the team. Surely you don't suggest that Russia should play next year with only KHL players???

As for Finnish hockey journalist, they tend have a better understanding of Finnish hockey than Russian posters on internet message boards.

You seem to have a "slight" pro-Russia/KHL attitude towards your post which makes this discussion quite fruitless. No matter how much facts you're supplied with you refuse to change your stance.

Jussi is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.