HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - 7.0 - Great with computers

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Every year every single 1st pick overall automatically have the highest trade value in the league. Simply because 80% of the time the 1st player drafted will be in the top 10 of the league and they're also simply the youngest and cheapest players.

2001: Ilya Kovalchuk
2002: Rick Nash
2003: Marc-André Fleury
2004: Alexander Ovechkin
2005: Sidney Crosby
2006: Erik Johnson
2007: Patrick Kane
2008: Steven Stamkos
2009: John Tavares

Old
01-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Rozz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
""Subban thinks he's bigger than the team."

This one comes from the people who believe this has anything to do with the team. It doesn't. This negotiation is between the business that is the Montreal Canadiens, and P.K. Subban. This is the business part of hockey. At no point has Subban said anything in his entire career that would insinuate that he believes he's bigger than the team. Brian Gionta said at the outset of training camp that players understood the business of the game and would work through whatever the situation was. He also mentioned that people who don't get that don't belong in the NHL. There's a separation between what goes on in Bergevin's office and what happens in the dressing room. Anyone who repeats the above phrase is full of a special kind of ********."

Quoted from here.
This X1000

Old
01-25-2013, 10:37 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Every year every single 1st pick overall automatically have the highest trade value in the league. Simply because 90% of the time the 1st player drafted will dominate the league.

2001: Ilya Kovalchuk
2002: Rick Nash > NO
2003: Marc-André Fleury > NO
2004: Alexander Ovechkin
2005: Sidney Crosby
2006: Erik Johnson > NO
2007: Patrick Kane
2008: Steven Stamkos
2009: John Tavares
Don't know where you got your 90% from ?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

I can't believe all the hysteria building up.

He will be signed soon... just a feeling.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
I can't believe all the hysteria building up.

He will be signed soon... just a feeling.
Seriously. It's only been three games...

The sportscasters need sometihng to talk about though. So rather than report the news, many of these guys manufacture it.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
So you wouldn't trade one of Yakupov, Hall or RNH for say Evgeni Malkin one for one then?
Well let's say Yakupov, Hall or RNH end up posting similar numbers to Evgeni... If you trade him you get Malkin who will give you 5-6 years of top level hockey if he stays healthy ( a big if there ). Now you have to pay top $ for sure, your 1st round pick will likely be much cheaper even when you sign his first real contract. So the big question would be... do you think you have a legitimate chance of winning the cup in 5 to 6 years with Malkin and if the answer is yes, then you do it. If it's no then you can counter-offer or simply say no.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:44 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Don't know where you got your 90% from ?
Rick Nash played for Columbus... Marc-André is in the top 5 of the league.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:46 PM
sheed36

I love reading some of these twitter PK rumors. This one from a Habs fan (I'm not sure now though) said the Flyers offered B. Schenn + 1st for Subban and Eller. The kicker is he said it was a good trade for the Habs because the Habs get an elite young forward and a 1st for 2 unknown, but potentially great players in Subban and Eller. The hell is that guy smoking?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:47 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Rick Nash played for Columbus... Marc-André is in the top 5 of the league.
top 5 as in, ahead of Miller, Lundqvist, Rinne, Price, Quick or Ward ?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:48 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I love reading some of these twitter PK rumors. This one from a Habs fan (I'm not sure now though) said the Flyers offered B. Schenn + 1st for Subban and Eller. The kicker is he said it was a good trade for the Habs because the Habs get an elite young forward and a 1st for 2 unknown, but potentially great players in Subban and Eller. The hell is that guy smoking?
wel, the guy may not be wrong, was wondering myself who the hell Subban was

Old
01-25-2013, 10:51 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Well let's say Yakupov, Hall or RNH end up posting similar numbers to Evgeni... If you trade him you get Malkin who will give you 5-6 years of top level hockey if he stays healthy ( a big if there ). Now you have to pay top $ for sure, your 1st round pick will likely be much cheaper even when you sign his first real contract. So the big question would be... do you think you have a legitimate chance of winning the cup in 5 to 6 years with Malkin and if the answer is yes, then you do it. If it's no then you can counter-offer or simply say no.
So the Pens would have to add to Malkin to get one of these guys in your mind? I don't even know how to respond to that.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
top 5 as in, ahead of Miller, Lundqvist, Rinne, Price, Quick or Ward ?
Ahead of Ward, he's 4 years younger than Miller...

Old
01-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
So the Pens would have to add to Malkin to get one of these guys in your mind? I don't even know how to respond to that.
Let's say you add your 2nd round pick for one of their 3rd liner or someone you wish you'd drafted for one of your picks...

Old
01-25-2013, 10:55 PM
Aceekay

Quote:
Ha! evgeni Malkin will only be good for 5 more years? Seriously?? He's 26 putting up 100+ seasons he's going to be a great player and much better player than yakupov for at least another decade. Right now you're just overrating yakupov, will he be a good player of course probably putting up 80-90 point seasons potentially 90+ seasons but that doesn't compare to how dominant Malkin is.

Btw yakupov is 19 not 18

Old
01-25-2013, 10:56 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Ahead of Ward, he's 4 years younger than Miller...
and that makes him automatically better ?

Old
01-25-2013, 10:56 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Or Manti Te'o's gf.

Thanks for that.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
and that makes him automatically better ?
value-wise yes.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:58 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
value-wise yes.
well, Eller is younger than Crosby...

Old
01-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Habtchum*

Kris Letang - a Stanley Cup Winner and ALL Star player - will make 3,5 million $ this year and next year...

Is he better than Subban right now ?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:00 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Great defensemen have more value than great forwards, EDM would have to add Yakupov+ to get Karlsson
In case people are confused,

The reason great defensemen have more value than great forwards is that the average dman plays ~20 minutes a game whereas the average forward plays ~15 minutes game.

In a game 7, your best dman might clock 30 minutes, but your best forward might clock 22-24 minutes.

I think that's the main reason. Thoughts?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:01 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Kris Letang - a Stanley Cup Winner and ALL Star player - will make 3,5 million $ this year and next year...

Is he better than Subban right now ?
What a steal of a contract that is. Especially when you look at some of the dmen making more money than him.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Ha! evgeni Malkin will only be good for 5 more years? Seriously?? He's 26 putting up 100+ seasons he's going to be a great player and much better player than yakupov for at least another decade. Right now you're just overrating yakupov, will he be a good player of course probably putting up 80-90 point seasons potentially 90+ seasons but that doesn't compare to how dominant Malkin is.

Btw yakupov is 19 not 18
No I said top-level hockey meaning he will be in the top 5-10 for at least 5-6 years. Not saying he won't be good afterwards but he's likely to drop as time moves on... While your 1st round pick is likely to dominate for 12-13 yrs. And be cheaper for 5-6 years.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Those players aren't expected to be as good as Malkin. And Malkin is in his mid 20s and is arguably the best player in the game (certainly top 3.)

It just doesn't make sense to make a deal like this dude. And why would Pittsburgh do this when they are contenders now? They aren't rebuilding, they are built to win today.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
In case people are confused,

The reason great defensemen have more value than great forwards is that the average dman plays ~20 minutes a game whereas the average forward plays ~15 minutes game.

In a game 7, your best dman might clock 30 minutes, but your best forward might clock 22-24 minutes.

I think that's the main reason. Thoughts?
I understand the logic. But if I could build my team around a player it would be Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin or Steven Stamkos. Yes, they don't play as much but it's impossible to find scoring numbers like that.

I'd rather have a super elite scorer and an average first pairing blueliner (who's still going to log that icetime) than the other way around. Unless we're talking Bobby Orr...

Old
01-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Those players aren't expected to be as good as Malkin. And Malkin is in his mid 20s and is arguably the best player in the game (certainly top 3.)

It just doesn't make sense to make a deal like this dude. And why would Pittsburgh do this when they are contenders now? They aren't rebuilding, they are built to win today.
Look I'm not saying not to do it. What I'm saying is that it's not a decision you make lightly when dealing your 1st overall pick. For example what if Malkin gets injured like 2 years ago. You also have to factor in the scouting team, what's their opinion is Yakupov likely, very likely, or not likely to ever post similar numbers as Evgeni. If you're wrong then you end paying a big price.

It's all hypothetical, but I'm astounded as the reaction people have in diminishing the value of 1st overall picks vs well established players... I mean I heard someone write that PK Subban is 1 to 1 deal for Hall or RNH.

Closed Thread