HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

So how are Acadie-Bathhurst doing?

Old
01-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Reesor01

vCash: 500
Back on the Bathurst track. Serious question for you CHSB (Or any other Titan fan on here).

If you had the choice, would you want the Titan to try to contend next year when you have Lalancette as a 19yo? Or perhaps sell him off at 19 for a future or 2 and attempt to contend in 2014/15 when Zdrahal/Zboril are 19 and your younger core are 18/19? I think Lalancette will be a huge impact player next year. Could be one of the bigger trading chips in the league. Q also hosts the Memorial Cup that year so having 2 Q teams there could improve your odds.

Reesor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:08 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesor01 View Post
Back on the Bathurst track. Serious question for you CHSB (Or any other Titan fan on here).

If you had the choice, would you want the Titan to try to contend next year when you have Lalancette as a 19yo? Or perhaps sell him off at 19 for a future or 2 and attempt to contend in 2014/15 when Zdrahal/Zboril are 19 and your younger core are 18/19? I think Lalancette will be a huge impact player next year. Could be one of the bigger trading chips in the league. Q also hosts the Memorial Cup that year so having 2 Q teams there could improve your odds.
Looking at 13-14:

The Titan will have Brennan as a 19 YO plus MacDonald as a 17 YO.

On Defense:
Girard(20)
Godin?(20)
Houle?(20)
Gosselin(18)
Gingras(18)
Dumontier(19)
Labbe(18)
Cote(18)
MacLean(18)

On forward:
Brouillard(20)
Lalancette(19)
Lafontaine(19)
Stevens(19)
Walsh(19)
Pelletier(19)
Meredith(19)
Zdrahal(18)
Zboril(18)
Gallant(17)
Blanchard(17)
Bernard(18)

If you look at this group as a whole, there are not enough core 18 YOs next season to hope to contend in 14-15.
Plus we have question marks about the value of our 17 YOs next season:
- how will MacDonald react to be a backup for a 2nd year? could he be a trade bait to build a contender?
- how will Gosselin/Gingras and the plethora of other 18 YOs develop on D?
- how will Gallant/Blanchard/Bernard develop at this level?

I would put better chances next season than the following one.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Reesor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
Looking at 13-14:

The Titan will have Brennan as a 19 YO plus MacDonald as a 17 YO.

On Defense:
Girard(20)
Godin?(20)
Houle?(20)
Gosselin(18)
Gingras(18)
Dumontier(19)
Labbe(18)
Cote(18)
MacLean(18)

On forward:
Brouillard(20)
Lalancette(19)
Lafontaine(19)
Stevens(19)
Walsh(19)
Pelletier(19)
Meredith(19)
Zdrahal(18)
Zboril(18)
Gallant(17)
Blanchard(17)
Bernard(18)

If you look at this group as a whole, there are not enough core 18 YOs next season to hope to contend in 14-15.
Plus we have question marks about the value of our 17 YOs next season:
- how will MacDonald react to be a backup for a 2nd year? could he be a trade bait to build a contender?
- how will Gosselin/Gingras and the plethora of other 18 YOs develop on D?
- how will Gallant/Blanchard/Bernard develop at this level?

I would put better chances next season than the following one.
Between Brouillard, Lalancette, Lafontaine, Zboril and Zdrahal, you should have a decent top 2 lines. They're also set in nets. But I think Bathurst would need to take advantage of their draft picks this year to plug some holes for next year. IMO they'd need one, maybe 2 defencemen. Not a lot of offense coming from the backend from that group, at least not for a contender. They'd also need some depth in that Bottom six, and could still stand to plug a scorer into the top 6.

I think I'd be very busy at the draft if I were LGM. Bathurst has many picks at their disposal. An impact 20yo forward should be easy to find at the draft, and relatively cheap. It does mean that you'd have to give up one of Girard or Godin. But with the price of defenceman lately, you could trade one of them for an ok return if someone could use a 20yo dman. Quality defence will not be cheap, but it'll be even more expensive at Christmas, so I'd probably try to pick up a D as well. I think it'd be worth giving up say, Godin, for a high-scoring 20yo forward, given the market.

Bathurst would have to do a lot to contend next year, but I think you may be right they have a better shot next year than the year after. I don't like that Bathurst bought and sold this year though. I think they'd be in a much better position if they sold the farm this year. But I understand why they didn't given the stability of the team.

Remember that all of those thoughts don't take into account natural progression of your younger players, simply because that is impossible to predict accurately in advance.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:29 AM
chsb

Quote:
Between Brouillard, Lalancette, Lafontaine, Zboril and Zdrahal, you should have a decent top 2 lines. They're also set in nets. But I think Bathurst would need to take advantage of their draft picks this year to plug some holes for next year. IMO they'd need one, maybe 2 defencemen. Not a lot of offense coming from the backend from that group, at least not for a contender. They'd also need some depth in that Bottom six, and could still stand to plug a scorer into the top 6.

I think I'd be very busy at the draft if I were LGM. Bathurst has many picks at their disposal. An impact 20yo forward should be easy to find at the draft, and relatively cheap. It does mean that you'd have to give up one of Girard or Godin. But with the price of defenceman lately, you could trade one of them for an ok return if someone could use a 20yo dman. Quality defence will not be cheap, but it'll be even more expensive at Christmas, so I'd probably try to pick up a D as well. I think it'd be worth giving up say, Godin, for a high-scoring 20yo forward, given the market.

Bathurst would have to do a lot to contend next year, but I think you may be right they have a better shot next year than the year after. I don't like that Bathurst bought and sold this year though. I think they'd be in a much better position if they sold the farm this year. But I understand why they didn't given the stability of the team.

Remember that all of those thoughts don't take into account natural progression of your younger players, simply because that is impossible to predict accurately in advance.
IMO you can add to the top-6 a guy like Pelletier.

Also Stevens,Meredith and Walsh are three very solid 3rd liners.
Maybe they lack depth maybe they don't depending at other potential players they have in the system and I omitted to mention.

Taking into account Houle's recent upsurge in performance, I could see him also retained as an OA in lieu of Godin.....he is giving the Titan some excellent hockey lately.

I would wait till Christmas to bring in an impact OA forward if needed in place of an OA D....

But the Titan could always make a trade for a forward or a D at the draft or at the August trade period indeed.
In my mind there would be no emergency until we see what guys like Blanchard/Gallant/Bernard and others bring to the team.

By the way, the D named MacLean....change him for Alex MacNeil...my mistake.

Now about the thought of trading last Christmas:
Given the mostly non existent market for OAs, and given the price for high end 19 YO Ds, the Titan did the right thing in my opinion to not empty the picks or prospects for 1 extra player.
Brouillard was enough to give the Titan the opportunity to access the 2nd round.
Acquisitions like Walsh ,Gingras, Pelletier also are a better fit than some expected.

I can see the Titan getting better and the two weekend games against the Wildcats could be indicative.
However the loss of 4 players for these two games will no doubt hurt our chances.

Old
01-24-2013, 11:48 AM
ClemQ

Quote:

Maybe they lack depth maybe they don't depending at other potential players they have in the system and I omitted to mention.

Taking into account Houle's recent upsurge in performance, I could see him also retained as an OA in lieu of Godin.....he is giving the Titan some excellent hockey lately.

I would wait till Christmas to bring in an impact OA forward if needed in place of an OA D....

But the Titan could always make a trade for a forward or a D at the draft or at the August trade period indeed.
In my mind there would be no emergency until we see what guys like Blanchard/Gallant/Bernard and others bring to the team.

Given the mostly non existent market for OAs, and given the price for high end 19 YO Ds, the Titan did the right thing in my opinion to not empty the picks or prospects for 1 extra player.
Brouillard was enough to give the Titan the opportunity to access the 2nd round.
Acquisitions like Walsh ,Gingras, Pelletier also are a better fit than some expected.

I can see the Titan getting better and the two weekend games against the Wildcats could be indicative.
However the loss of 4 players for these two games will no doubt hurt our chances.
they better start winning if they want to "access" the second round. They have actually gone down the standings since xmas and they have games in hand to the teams below them, and above them.
If they dont climb, and climb soon they will meet either Halifax, BC, RIM, RN, BLB or MCT in the first round. Sorry...no access if they face any of those teams. At least there has been no indication at all that they would beat those teams. Anything can happen in the playoffs, but.... it would not be a prefered 1st round match up for them.

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Reesor01

Quote:

I would definitely get that 20yo in the summer when teams with surplus 20s are giving them away for cheap. Having experienced D is a definite asset. But you might be able to get a higher impact forward, and possibly get something for one of your 20yo defencemen. More than likely the contenders would be set for 20yos and you'd get nothing for those defenceman at Christmas (the Sawyer Hannay deal to Victo was an exception).

I wouldn't use Moncton as a measuring stick. They are on fire right now, and probably top 3 in the league at this point. Keeping those games close would be a success IMO. Games against teams like PEI are the ones you guys should start winning if you want to gauge where you're at. In other words, If you lose 6-2 to Moncton, it doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
chsb

The Titan could always trade Godin in June and keep Houle as an OA.

What I mean is that the forward acquisition would not have to be an OA....it could very well be a 19YO.

Old
01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Catz

You have been saying since November there gonna get better!!
Face it there not!!!!

Catz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:58 PM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catz View Post
You have been saying since November there gonna get better!!
Face it there not!!!!

You really want to argue, do you!

Old
01-24-2013, 06:46 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Let me end this.

You guys arguing are homers... And amongst the worst.

Moncton is overrated but a good team that could surprise... An maybe win. A Mem cup will very likely elude them again.

Halifax: they aren't last years SJ, the Q is just more wide open.. They have more star power then other teams. This team can be beat regardless of what anyone says they are my pick to win it, and my pick to dissapoint.

Bathurst... A hot goalie and star can get you far... The Titan have fire power... But many question marks after that... They might upset a big seed...

SJ... We just plain suck, were likely picking first overall, hello Noel !

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Reesor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Let me end this.

You guys arguing are homers... And amongst the worst.

Moncton is overrated but a good team that could surprise... An maybe win. A Mem cup will very likely elude them again.

Halifax: they aren't last years SJ, the Q is just more wide open.. They have more star power then other teams. This team can be beat regardless of what anyone says they are my pick to win it, and my pick to dissapoint.

Bathurst... A hot goalie and star can get you far... The Titan have fire power... But many question marks after that... They might upset a big seed...

- You won't end it. It's the rule of message boards: Engage in the debate with people that post logical thoughts and opinions. Ignore those that don't. I think you'll find the majority of fans of any team are logical and unbiased when they post.

- How can Moncton be over-rated but be able to surprise? You'd think they'd have to be underrated to surprise someone. They'll probably have to face either Quebec, RN, BC or Rimouski in the 2nd round. Could be a great series no matter who they play.

- Agreed on Halifax in that they are not the SJ of last year. But their consistency game to game can be underrated at times. Of course they can be beat. The 2005 London Knights could be beat (Not comparing the 2 teams just making an exaggeration).

- This topic is about Bathurst, so I guess I'll include them. I don't think they have the consistency to knock off a team from say the 7th seed up. They could win a game or perhaps 2 against a higher seed. But I think they'd be in tough against any of those top teams. They have to get up to the 9th seed to have a shot at the 2nd round IMO. Not saying it can't happen. Victoriaville was a contender last year and they laid an egg in the playoffs, so it could happen again this year. Brennan could also go lights out and completely baffle a team. So I guess they could move on playing a top team. But it'd be more of the top team coming down to Bathurst's level I believe.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:58 AM
chsb

Quote:
Let me end this.

At the Christmas trade period, I mentioned that I could see the Titan getting better after Christmas and catch on to a few teams.
Now the Dogs are behind us to stay
I did say the same thing at the time about Gatineau and we all witnessed their miraculous recovery of late.

These two teams Have the capacity to upset a top team in a big way...
I agree that the Titan took longer than I expected to upsurge and have not done it convincingly just yet.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:02 AM
chsb

[QUOTE=Reesor01;58261339

- This topic is about Bathurst, so I guess I'll include them. I don't think they have the consistency to knock off a team from say the 7th seed up. They could win a game or perhaps 2 against a higher seed. But I think they'd be in tough against any of those top teams. They have to get up to the 9th seed to have a shot at the 2nd round IMO. Not saying it can't happen. Victoriaville was a contender last year and they laid an egg in the playoffs, so it could happen again this year. Brennan could also go lights out and completely baffle a team. So I guess they could move on playing a top team. But it'd be more of the top team coming down to Bathurst's level I believe.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that they will go up to the 9th seed with the losses they suffered lately.
The schedule is now their worst ennemy.

However don't you think for a minute that a team like Gatineau could not knock off a team like the Huskies or the Oceanic?

You might end up seeing the same thing applying to the Titan in a few weeks.

I don't say it will happen, but a lot of people around here are convinced that the Titan did not play like the sum of its parts so far.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Reesor01

Quote:
I don't believe that they will go up to the 9th seed with the losses they suffered lately.
The schedule is now their worst ennemy.

However don't you think for a minute that a team like Gatineau could not knock off a team like the Huskies or the Oceanic?

You might end up seeing the same thing applying to the Titan in a few weeks.

I don't say it will happen, but a lot of people around here are convinced that the Titan did not play like the sum of its parts so far.
I do not think Gatineau could knock off the Huskies or the Oceanic in a 7 game series. But I guess that's why they call it an upset. You never expect an upset.

I hope Gatineau does knock off one of those top teams. For Halifax's sake.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:06 AM
chsb

Quote:
I do not think Gatineau could knock off the Huskies or the Oceanic in a 7 game series. But I guess that's why they call it an upset. You never expect an upset.

I hope Gatineau does knock off one of those top teams. For Halifax's sake.
They beat both RN and BC in the last 2 weeks...beat Chicoutimi in their barn 7-2 also.

You better hope to not face them in the 2nd round....

Old
01-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Reesor01

Quote:
They beat both RN and BC in the last 2 weeks...beat Chicoutimi in their barn 7-2 also.

You better hope to not face them in the 2nd round....
Well if we're not good enough to beat Gatineau 4 out of 7 times, then we probably don't deserve to play for the President's Cup/Memorial Cup anyway, so it doesn't matter much. If they go on a Cinderella run we'll have to play them sooner or later.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:58 AM
ElementZ

Quote:
Let me end this.

There is no way in hell SJ will picking 1st overall unless they trade up. You really think CB and SHA will catch up to SJ, it's not like they are winning games to make up the 10 and 13 points respectively.

Our first pick will be either 3 or 4 guarunteed.

ElementZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
At the Christmas trade period, I mentioned that I could see the Titan getting better after Christmas and catch on to a few teams.
Now the Dogs are behind us to stay
I did say the same thing at the time about Gatineau and we all witnessed their miraculous recovery of late.

These two teams Have the capacity to upset a top team in a big way...
I agree that the Titan took longer than I expected to upsurge and have not done it convincingly just yet.
I don't think that has much to to with the Titan gettting soo much better but, because the SeaDogs totally unloaded which is what a 13th/14th place teams should do

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:31 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementZ View Post
There is no way in hell SJ will picking 1st overall unless they trade up. You really think CB and SHA will catch up to SJ, it's not like they are winning games to make up the 10 and 13 points respectively.

Our first pick will be either 3 or 4 guarunteed.
We are really bad lol.... Without Villemaire we wouldn't stand a chance most nights.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:58 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
I don't think that has much to to with the Titan gettting soo much better but, because the SeaDogs totally unloaded which is what a 13th/14th place teams should do
Your skepticism is the best thing to ever happen to this team....

Thus your superiority complex will fall from higher grounds.

Old
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

The Sea Dogs were gutted we have nothing left... Everyone knew this was coming.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Catz

Cats beat Titan 5-0. Outshoot them 57-21

Now lets hear it chsb. How moncton isn't that good and the Titan will upset them in the first round

Well you said jaskin wouldn't score 30 goals. Fitting how he gets number 30 against Titan. With 21 games to spare

Strange jaskin has more points than the mighty obrien and has played 10 less games .

Maybe cole will play tommorow And you guys will score a goal.

Catz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

57 shots ?

Old
01-26-2013, 12:18 AM
RJQuack

Quote:
57 shots ?
Yes, the Bathurst D group is a new kind of bad lol.

McDonald kept them in this one. Far and away the best player on the ice for the Titan.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:27 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

McDonald will be a star in this league.