HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to part ways with Okposo?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 01:34 AM
  #1
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Time to part ways with Okposo?

I think he needs a change of scenery and considering Strome and Nino will be here sooner then later i just feel maybe in his and our best interests to find a way to move him. He plays very soft and just looks lost most of the time. I hate giving up on a guy this early but i just see it never happening here for him..Thoughts?

__________________
GO BUFFALO
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 AM
  #2
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,452
vCash: 500
Easiest way to tell whose watching games and whose just watching hits and boxscores is an opinion on Okposo.

He setup two goals last game by using his body to separate the puck from the opponent and let his teammate get the loose puck.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:51 AM
  #3
redbull
movin'on up
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,061
vCash: 500
Okposo scored more goals last year than Aucoin, mcDonald, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Martin have their whole career, combined.

Let's not pretend the NYI are a team that can afford to lose proven NHL players.

Sure, he's not Iginla, but he's not Pandolfo or Reasoner or Rolston either

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:18 AM
  #4
original islander
Registered User
 
original islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Okposo scored more goals last year than Aucoin, mcDonald, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Martin have their whole career, combined.

Let's not pretend the NYI are a team that can afford to lose proven NHL players.

Sure, he's not Iginla, but he's not Pandolfo or Reasoner or Rolston either
We can't afford to lose Kyle any more than we could afford to lose PA. You lose your worst players, people like Reasoner, Boulton and last year Pandolfo.

If guys can't play on the first line you put them on the 2nd or 3rd or even 4th line. We lost PA and Blake Comeau and got nothing in return. I'm sure our team would be better with them than Boulton and Reasoner.

If we can get a better player than KO for him, then go ahead and move him, otherwise move him down to another line.

However, Kyle's situation in some way mirrors Lars Eller in Montreal, at some point you have to take the next step or you stagnate or regress. It's time for Kyle to get a mean streak. He and Bailey need to have a sense of urgency if that want to achieve their potential.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:13 AM
  #5
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!
 
petrocelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I think he needs a change of scenery and considering Strome and Nino will be here sooner then later i just feel maybe in his and our best interests to find a way to move him. He plays very soft and just looks lost most of the time. I hate giving up on a guy this early but i just see it never happening here for him..Thoughts?
Can I please see this line at least for 20 games before you get rid of Okposo, and perhaps Bailey as well.... Just 20 games and then you can have your way with them.. Promise!


Bailey - Tavares - Okposo

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:00 AM
  #6
desmond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,099
vCash: 500
No. He is big part of our future.

desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:26 AM
  #7
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,376
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I think he needs a change of scenery and considering Strome and Nino will be here sooner then later i just feel maybe in his and our best interests to find a way to move him. He plays very soft and just looks lost most of the time. I hate giving up on a guy this early but i just see it never happening here for him..Thoughts?

I guess we are watching different games because I've haven't seen the soft play.

How about we let Nino + Strome make the nhl, collect their ROY awards, then start clearing out the roster

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:30 AM
  #8
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,376
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post

However, Kyle's situation in some way mirrors Lars Eller in Montreal, at some point you have to take the next step or you stagnate or regress. It's time for Kyle to get a mean streak. He and Bailey need to have a sense of urgency if that want to achieve their potential.
Kyle's never gonna have a mean streak in my opinion.I'd settle for Nino's nasty, chippy plays from Kyle.

I've seen Nino make plays and thought they were borderline dirty: knee on knee, slashing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:43 AM
  #9
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Replace Okposo with Nino? You are aware they play different positions, right? You are also aware that Nino is the guy asking for a trade, right? You are aware that Kyle is the guy that wants to be here long term and signed a long term(ish) deal that works economically, right? You are aware that Okposo is one of about 4 players in the organization that is a true Right Winger and has a right handed shot, right? Also you do know that this is the Islanders, right? When did we become such a power house that we can just ship out 23 year old first round draft picks that score at 20-25 goals per year pace because they have 2 points after 4 games?

In Nino's next 200 NHL games, he is going to have to score 67 goals to catch Kyle's production at the same point in their career. Hope it happens, and I hope Kyle is still his teammate at that point.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
  #10
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I think he needs a change of scenery and considering Strome and Nino will be here sooner then later i just feel maybe in his and our best interests to find a way to move him. He plays very soft and just looks lost most of the time. I hate giving up on a guy this early but i just see it never happening here for him..Thoughts?
I dont think we should get rid of him yet. Yes he is not a superstar. He is not a star player either. However he is a good hockey player. He does not play a big physical game yet he is not SOFT. Kyle is far from a perfect hockey. yes he is not useless. I would keep him. He does not make much and there is no risk with playing him here.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
  #11
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
This is such a ridiculous thread. Kyle Okposo is a really good player and he should definitely be here long term. I think though he is not a legit first line player but he's a guy who will succeed on a second line of a good team which is where he should be.

This is the same crap when people didn't care that this team got rid of Bergenheim. That guy was a perfect third line guy and if this team got good enough you would have him on an uber effective fourth line.

Just stop, just because he's not a top line talent doesn't mean he's not right for this team.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:18 AM
  #12
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Deer Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,402
vCash: 500
Kyle just needs new linemates, he is not a setup man or a spark plug which is needed for the first line.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
  #13
Brunomics
Registered User
 
Brunomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Medford
Country: United States
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Kyle just needs new linemates, he is not a setup man or a spark plug which is needed for the first line.
He's the wrong type of player for the Tavares line. Pretty much since they have Moulson who is the gritty slot guy, Tavares that can pass or shoot and what made them click with Parenteau was his ability to move the puck. Okposo doesn't bring that type of game and unless it's something of them just needing time and I"m completely wrong I think a guy like Bailey presents the best option to be on Tavares' wing right now.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
  #14
Stercrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
I'm a No on getting rid of KO. He's not the worst player on the roster. I would work from the bottom up.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:48 AM
  #15
Poulin 0n My St1ck
Registered User
 
Poulin 0n My St1ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
I'd love to see that line in the worst way. I think those three could do wonders together. I always think about what Bailey and JT could do together (on the ice, of course).

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
  #16
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch
 
7:11 of OT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Monkeyville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
There is no reason to look to move KO at this point. His game is sound and he does not look lost as some have said. The one thing that I think he needs to work on is his conditioning. I am not sure what he did in the extended off-season, playing or working out, but it is clear that he gets winded more than almost any other player on the ice. That may be a combination of poor conditioning and trying to do too much on each shift, but if you look at him versus JT after each shift, KO looks like he is going to collapse while JT looks ready for his next shift.

7:11 of OT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
  #17
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,376
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
There is no reason to look to move KO at this point. His game is sound and he does not look lost as some have said. The one thing that I think he needs to work on is his conditioning. I am not sure what he did in the extended off-season, playing or working out, but it is clear that he gets winded more than almost any other player on the ice. That may be a combination of poor conditioning and trying to do too much on each shift, but if you look at him versus JT after each shift, KO looks like he is going to collapse while JT looks ready for his next shift.
I guess this is where I gulp down my crow

When Cappy announced he was going with the Moulson-Tavares-Okposo line, a poster pointed out that Tavares had been playing in Europe, while Okposo (a slow starter), had stayed home.

I'd read Okposo had workout sessions/skating sessions with other nhlers during the lockout. I told the poster we shouldn't stress, pointed out Tavares 22 pts last Jan, when he had Moulson and Okposo on his wings.

Clearly the guy's concerns have proven valid. That line looks out of sinc, like they never played together.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:26 AM
  #18
Trumanperro
Registered User
 
Trumanperro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Jesus, its official KO is the whipping boy this season. He played a great game and the other night he was the first to answer the bell when JT got boarded by that POS phaneuf. Leave him alone. Let him get better and become a 30+ goal scorer every year. You can't afford to lose a guy like that.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
  #19
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,738
vCash: 500
Wow, that was fast. Is it due to the shortened schedule that emotions run higher, much quicker?

Let's give KO a little more than 4 games, he's not a total scrub.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  #20
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
KO isn't even as good as Simmonds on Philadelphia on this point.

But, he must stay because he's a high, shiny, first overall pick.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:43 AM
  #21
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,162
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
We can't afford to lose Kyle any more than we could afford to lose PA. You lose your worst players, people like Reasoner, Boulton and last year Pandolfo.

If guys can't play on the first line you put them on the 2nd or 3rd or even 4th line. We lost PA and Blake Comeau and got nothing in return. I'm sure our team would be better with them than Boulton and Reasoner.

If we can get a better player than KO for him, then go ahead and move him, otherwise move him down to another line.

However, Kyle's situation in some way mirrors Lars Eller in Montreal, at some point you have to take the next step or you stagnate or regress. It's time for Kyle to get a mean streak. He and Bailey need to have a sense of urgency if that want to achieve their potential.
Agree completely with this, though I believe MM silently assumes that it would be for an upgrade, not picks, prospects, etc. I have been a proponent of moving Okposo because he is an extension of what is a big problem for this club... soft forwards with too few exceptions.

Between Grabner, Neilsen, Moulson, Bailey, and Okposo who are all below average physically, and mostly average physical players for the rest something needs to change. It won't surprise me if they move him down a line or two, then move him for an upgrade if they make any trades.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:46 AM
  #22
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,376
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
KO isn't even as good as Simmonds on Philadelphia on this point.

But, he must stay because he's a high, shiny, first overall pick.
I must have slept thru Okposo, being a first overall pick

How about he should stay because at 24 yrs old, he's coming off a career high 24 goal season and his salary is dirt cheap this yr and next?

How about he should stay because the isles need his aggressive puck pursuit?

How about letting the top prospects actually make it to the NHL and take Okposo's spot with their NHL play, before running him out of town?

Simmonds: 326 games, 68 goals, 77 assists
Okposo : 275 games 69 goals, 94 assists

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:59 AM
  #23
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Kyle just needs new linemates, he is not a setup man or a spark plug which is needed for the first line.
I agree, I don't believe he a first line player (at least not on this team's first line). Change his role, lower his TOI and I think he'll be a more effective player. Trouble is, I can't think of anyone on this team right now who would work on the first line with JT and Moulson. Ullstrom might, but I'd like to see him continue to play the way he has for a while longer before he gets first line duties. And besides, he's got good chemistry with Aucoin and McDonald right now, and they may not want to tamper with that.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:01 PM
  #24
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,162
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I guess this is where I gulp down my crow

When Cappy announced he was going with the Moulson-Tavares-Okposo line, a poster pointed out that Tavares had been playing in Europe, while Okposo (a slow starter), had stayed home.

I'd read Okposo had workout sessions/skating sessions with other nhlers during the lockout. I told the poster we shouldn't stress, pointed out Tavares 22 pts last Jan, when he had Moulson and Okposo on his wings.

Clearly the guy's concerns have proven valid. That line looks out of sinc, like they never played together.
Would it be fair to state that Tavares currently has two imperfect wings, and while his line would be fine with one, the other really needs to be a solid two way physical player? I criticize both Matt & Kyle, but if you made me choose one over the other it would be Matt all the way. Reading about Kyle's conditioning is also concerning. A guy his age shouldn't be exhibiting that much rust.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:06 PM
  #25
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
If Okposo is available i would sure hope Chevy would call you guys up! Kids a beast

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.