HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - 7.0 - Great with computers

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 12:13 AM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Sounds like Subban has 4 options:
  1. Sign a short term contract as the Habs want him to do;
  2. Sit for the season and hope for the best next summer;
  3. Sign an offer sheet; or
  4. Request a trade.

Wanna bet that he'll chose the first one?
As per the tweets quoting Meehan, and Meehan quoting PK, I would say that you're right.
Not saying PK will capitulate, rather that he'll want to get to the middle, which is the best thing for both sides, whether you think he's Bobby Orr or acting like he's a legend.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 AM
FinnHab

I really dont understand why Subban cant sign short term deal? Some day guy will be filthy rich, play damn hockey with out soap opera!

Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
It I was Subban I'd probably sign the short term deal, and in two years go up to Marc Bergevin, give him the middle finger, and sign with a contender.
Isn't he a RFA in two years?

Old
01-26-2013, 12:16 AM
SnapVirus

Alexdaman. Stop taking drugs on friday nights. Use your brain more, cause Kiddo you're off the tracks. Theres a lot u gotta learn about how the NHL works.

Subban+Price+1st for Yakupov? Yeah right!

P.S. Dont be like a beated wife. Stop coming back for more.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:18 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
I really dont understand why Subban cant sign short term deal? Some day guy will be filthy rich, play damn hockey with out soap opera!
Neither can I, but I blame Nike. Nike And Nik Kypreos.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Look I'm not saying not to do it. What I'm saying is that it's not a decision you make lightly when dealing your 1st overall pick. For example what if Malkin gets injured like 2 years ago. You also have to factor in the scouting team, what's their opinion is Yakupov likely, very likely, or not likely to ever post similar numbers as Evgeni. If you're wrong then you end paying a big price.

It's all hypothetical, but I'm astounded as the reaction people have in diminishing the value of 1st overall picks vs well established players... I mean I heard someone write that PK Subban is 1 to 1 deal for Hall or RNH.
Trust me, I believe in the value of number one picks... ask anyone.

But what you're talking about is dealing young established stars who are proven for a 1st overall prospect. I understand the logic and in some cases I might even agree. But in the case of Subban + our first for Yakupov it really doesn't make sense esp since we'd be giviing up a 1st ourselves.

Even PK for Yakupov straight up... it's hard for me to justify giving up PK. Yakupov could turn out to be the better player by far but we've already got Galchenyuk who's close to his skill level. Moreover, we've got nobody to replace Subban should he leave. So even if we get the best player out of it, we're still setting ourselves back. Hence, even in a straight up deal I don't think it makes sense to do it. Not based on what we know today.

I will concede to you however that in five years with the benefit of hindsight it might be a different story. Maybe Yak becomes a superstar and PK doesn't. But right now with what we know, it doesn't make sense to make even a straight up trade.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:33 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
What a steal of a contract that is. Especially when you look at some of the dmen making more money than him.
So true.

I don't know whether this was his reasoning or not, but it could be explained by (what was once not that rare) taking a discount to make the team around you better. I know everyone wants the MAX they can get, but if you love playing hockey with a particular team in a certain city with other stars, I can see it being an incentive to not try to milk it for how ever much you're "worth" (or think you're worth). Great contract for the Pens.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:47 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
After the Jamie Benn contract I hope Subban will accept 5M$ a year for 3 years. And I hope MB will offer that.
If PK gets 5M this year and the next, then we won't have much more wiggle room at all. Bergevin has insisted on a bridge contract for a reason...

Old
01-26-2013, 01:02 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN_paladin View Post
If PK gets 5M this year and the next, then we won't have much more wiggle room at all. Bergevin has insisted on a bridge contract for a reason...
If MB knew he had cap problem, then why gave Prust such a contract?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:04 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
Exactly. Shouldn't have signed Bouillon either, we're swimming in dmen. We have St-Denis in Hamilton who would have been just as good if worse came to worse.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:04 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Prust is making 2.5, not 5... and MB knows very well that in two years, Gionta, Kaberle and co will be gone (contract over).

and by then, he'll have enough room to give a bigger contract to Subban, or anyone else who may deserve it.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:13 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Prust is making 2.5, not 5... and MB knows very well that in two years, Gionta, Kaberle and co will be gone (contract over).

and by then, he'll have enough room to give a bigger contract to Subban, or anyone else who may deserve it.
Prust - 2.5M cap
Bouillon - 1.5M cap

That is 4M cap. If he could not sign PK because of the contracts to Prust and Bouillon then he did not have the right priority in determining which player he should sign. He should have try to sign PK first. Then find out how much cap he got left and then make the next move.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:15 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Prust - 2.5M cap
Bouillon - 1.5M cap

That is 4M cap. If he could not sign PK because of the contracts to Prust and Bouillon then he did not have the right priority in determining which player he should sign. He should have try to sign PK first. Then find out how much cap he got left and then make the next move.
after Gomez buyout wh have below 3 Mil in cap space... meaning that if you sign Subban at 5 Mil, then you have to find use players making minimum salary to replace Bouillon/Prust...

you miss Darche or something ?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:15 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Prust - 2.5M cap
Bouillon - 1.5M cap

It's actually less 4 million because you have two roster spots to fill if you remove Bouillon and Prust.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:16 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
Alexdaman. Stop taking drugs on friday nights. Use your brain more, cause Kiddo you're off the tracks. Theres a lot u gotta learn about how the NHL works.

Subban+Price+1st for Yakupov? Yeah right!

P.S. Dont be like a beated wife. Stop coming back for more.
Don't be like an abusive husband, stop beating him.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:17 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
after Gomez buyout wh have below 3 Mil in cap space... meaning that if you sign Subban at 5 Mil, then you have to find players making minimum salary to replace Bouillon/Prust...

typo

Old
01-26-2013, 01:22 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
after Gomez buyout wh have below 3 Mil in cap space... meaning that if you sign Subban at 5 Mil, then you have to find use players making minimum salary to replace Bouillon/Prust...

PK should be MB's top priority. Price and MaxPac have already been signed. Next in line is PK. Prust and Bouillon is a luxury and not a priority. We can use Blunden/Darche/Nokelainen/Weber/St-Denis in their places. We are not going to win the Cup or anything. Why spent so much cap space on Prust and Bouillon?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:22 AM
habtastic

Based on the latest news (I guess the tweets I read were from "yesterday" - 24th), it seems it's all in Karl's hands now. Hopefully he's still a big Habs fan despite having an accidental traitor in the family.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Et le But

Quote:

Why waste the free cap space in 2 years by giving Subban an even bigger contract rather than signing him now? His value is only going to go up. It could be the difference of an extra million or so.

We aren't winning the cup in the next year or so. Might as well focus on making a big free agent splash in a few years..which would be easier with Subban locked in long term now.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:24 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
PK should be MB's top priority. Price and MaxPac have already been signed. Next in line is PK. Prust and Bouillon is a luxury and not a priority. We can use Blunden/Darche/Nokelainen/Weber/St-Denis in their places. We are not going to win the Cup or anything. Why spent so much cap space on Prust and Bouillon?
Exactly... now you know why there's no rush to sign Subban.

Subban not playing isnt really hurting the Habs, it's hurting Subban.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:25 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Why waste the free cap space in 2 years by giving Subban an even bigger contract rather than signing him now? His value is only going to go up.
for that to happen, he'll need to continue improving, wich isnt guaranteed.

He may cost more if he does, but after improving for more or less 4 seasons, giving him big money is a lesser risk for the team.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:25 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Based on the latest news (I guess the tweets I read were from "yesterday" - 24th), it seems it's all in Karl's hands now. Hopefully he's still a big Habs fan despite having an accidental traitor in the family.
I am more concerned about how MB used his cap space. Why used 4M of cap space on Prust and Bouillon and then try to squeeze PK?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:28 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Exactly... now you know why there's no rush to sign Subban.

Subban not playing isnt really hurting the Habs, it's hurting Subban.
You know that your reasoning is becoming rediculous by the minute. If signing Prust and Bouillon caused cap space problem then he is not a good GM at all.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:30 AM
Et le But

Quote:
for that to happen, he'll need to continue improving, wich isnt guaranteed.

He may cost more if he does, but after improving for more or less 4 seasons, giving him big money is a lesser risk for the team.
There's already not much risk. He's already an above average defensman, so at the minimum he's worth more than say Gorges. The only way his own case doesn't improve in two year is if he regresses, a possibility that is going to hurt either way. And I don't see why that would happen, the man has only gotten better every year since going pro.

Quote:
You know that your reasoning is becoming rediculous by the minute. If signing Prust and Bouillon caused cap space problem then he is not a good GM at all.
Prust has been great so far..but he's clearly a role player that puts you over the edge. You don't build from Prust up. If I was Subban I'd be pissed too, being Bergevin's last priority.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:30 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
team is doing fine, even though it's only 3 games, both players bring enough to the team to warrant their salary.

Closed Thread