HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Is Eric Tangradi officially a bust?

View Poll Results: Is Eric Tangradi a bust?
Yes 101 49.75%
No 15 7.39%
Too Early To Say 87 42.86%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-26-2013, 01:33 AM
canadianguy77

vCash: 500
He's Dustin Penner, without the skill. He has to be one of the worst skaters that I've seen in the NHL post 1980's.

canadianguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:55 AM
TheSniper26

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy77 View Post
He's Dustin Penner, without the skill. He has to be one of the worst skaters that I've seen in the NHL post 1980's.
I'm not sold on the kid either, but stuff like this is so ridiculous.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:55 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
No he isn't.

He was playing 9-10 minutes tonight with the 4th line, and they were rarely in trouble. Now you keep on playing those guys together. Unless Tangradi HURTS the line, you don't move him, because getting him to be an NHL asset is important. Either as an option further up the lineup in the future or as a trade asset.

This is what development is for a young player who isn't a top prospect, and we better ****ing learn it. Same goes for Despres who hadn't hurt us at all in three games because he is talented enough to sort out most the problems his inexperience causes. Yet now he was sent down again to absolutely no purpose other than to stiffle the development he has to go through.

I am OK with scratching youngsters who stink it up, but if we are completely incapable of developing anyone promising much less put them in roles they can succeed in, then at some point one (Bylsma) has to look inward rather than blaming the prospect.
I was sort of with you up until the bolded. Tangradi has shown next to nothing at the NHL level, and pinning that on Bylsma strikes me as being over eager to point the finger.

Granted we haven't developed any real prospects in Bylsma's tenure but what has he had to work with? Almost nothing in terms of legitimate NHL talent. Meanwhile we've seen some good examples in the way of talented yet not fully developed players thriving under Bylsma, particularly in guys like Neal, Letang, Staal, Niskanen, and TK. Crosby and Malkin have had their best seasons under Bylsma. Cooke and definitely Dupuis have been at their best under him as well.

While those aren't apples to apples comparisons, I just don't see anything suggesting that this coaching staff is incapable of developing talent. There just hasn't been much of it around, and the ones that have been given opportunities just haven't done anything with them. People gave Hitchcock a lot of flack for allegedly mishandling Filatov and not giving him a chance to thrive. Well, the kid has squandered every chance he's gotten since and Hitchcock has done wonders so far with another skilled Russian forward in Tarasenko. Sometimes players who have been productive at other levels just don't have what it takes to compete in the NHL. We can keep beating our head against the wall that Tangradi isn't being given an opportunity to flourish but he's played 40+ games and I can't recall more than a handful of scoring opportunities he's been directly involved in. I'm not asking for anything unrealistic. I just want to see some flashes of a player with top 6 ability. I haven't seen anything close to that at this point. If his name wasn't Eric Tangradi, people would be screaming at Bylsma to be fired every time he was put on a line with Crosby or Malkin.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:58 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Yes and no.

I remain firm that I think Tangradi will latch on as a productive player in this league if given a consistent chance to grow. He won't get that chance here and frankly he shouldn't get that chance here with his level of play. The problem is that he's never going to recapture his value for us since nobody is going to pay a premium for what he is today and our hands are basically folded considering we can't send him to the AHL again (which won't do him any good anymore anyway) and he's not good enough to be a top six player right now.

This is the problem with developing your own top flight players...most aren't going to step into the league at a high level.

Mind you I don't think Tangradi has a prayer of reaching the ceiling that was set for him years ago...but I can see him being one of those 'damn it' 20-25 goal a year guys that plays a key role on the 2nd line of a bad team or a 20 goal guy on a good team's 3rd line. He's going to be one of those guys that everyone on this board can't wait until he's off the team and then gets pissed off at Ray Shero for letting go of him for so cheap in a couple years.
People are entitled to their opinion, but there's absolutely no way anybody can look at Tangradi's performance thus far in the NHL and think he has a legitimate future. You're basing it solely on his play at the AHL level and because of his name.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin4Top6Wingerz View Post
People are entitled to their opinion, but there's absolutely no way anybody can look at Tangradi's performance thus far in the NHL and think he has a legitimate future. You're basing it solely on his play at the AHL level and because of his name.
Really?

Power Forwards traditionally take longer to develope.

Now you can argue that he is not a Power forward, he is regressing, anything you want. But to completely discount a contrary position is just plain wrong given that so many power forwards did not hit their stride until their late 20's.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:22 AM
Dangles78

Honestly, the "power forwards take longer time to develop" argument is becoming old. I'm a fan of Tangradi, and I've defended him for a long time, but other power forwards at least showed something during their time in the NHL before coming permanent fixtures.

Tangradi loses battles along the wall, his passing is subject and his hockey IQ should be questioned.

The most concerning part is that Tangradi literally plays like I did back in Squirt. He gets rid of the puck so quickly when it reaches his stick.

During breakouts you'll likely see him just standing in the neutral zone instead of moving his feet. Like someone said earlier, the NHL is too fast for him. He can't think the game and use his size to his advantage.

I'm done defending him and I'm this close to just saying screw it with him.

The only time he's been noticeable is when he's with Crosby. Who the **** knows why a freaking internet forum can notice it, but HCDB can't is beyond me.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:58 AM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Really?

Power Forwards traditionally take longer to develope.

Now you can argue that he is not a Power forward, he is regressing, anything you want. But to completely discount a contrary position is just plain wrong given that so many power forwards did not hit their stride until their late 20's.
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that Tangradi can't develop into anything (though I would bet heavily against it). I'm saying that he hasn't shown anything of note at the NHL level, and if there weren't expectations surrounding him nobody would make such a prediction from simply watching him play.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:03 AM
spizzle420

To be honest, I'm not really sure what he does that anybody else can't do...

spizzle420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:41 AM
SirBrad

I voted yes but it's probably still too early to tell.

However I think he's a bust with the Penguins. For whatever reason it's just not seeming like it's going to happen for him here.

Still think it's funny that I was in the building the night he scored his only NHL goal over 2 years ago. I thought for sure he could develop into a 15-18 goal guy at the least and he's not even shown he can be a 4th liner let alone a guy that scores goals.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Jacob

Quote:
This simply isn't true. In fact, Tangradi has better straight-line speed than Neal.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Tafkak

Send a message via AIM to Tafkak
One of the biggest things that Tangradi has going against him, is the fact that he goes down way too easily. Seemingly every time there was some sort of contact on him last night, he went down. It's maddening to see such a large man, who has some speed when he actually tries, go down so easily. He's like Hartnell... without the skill.

Tafkak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

As a point of reference, Kevin Stevens had his first 20 goal season at age 24. However, He also played 76 games with Mario that year. Also remember that it was also a different game in 89-90 and goalscoring was way up compared to now.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
deakka

Hes a bust. Trade him for Glennie. Bust for bust!

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:48 AM
nhindian

Quote:
okay buddy

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Karnage420

absolutely a bust. just does a whole lot of nothing out there. not even that effective in the AHL. really cant see him making any sort of legitimate jump next year (which is when it should happen if it ever does).

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
absolutely a bust. just does a whole lot of nothing out there. not even that effective in the AHL. really cant see him making any sort of legitimate jump next year (which is when it should happen if it ever does).
This about sums it up. I was reading a bunch of comments on Facebook where WBS fans were saying "don't send him back down here!"....that tells you all you need to know.

Hopefully Bennett is the real deal and can play along Crosby's side for the duration of his deal. One can dream, right?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
crosby is the sauce

i said yes but i feel this season or however many games he plays this season will/should be his last shot at sticking with the Pens

crosby is the sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
87isgod

Lmao Wilkes barre don't even want him

87isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:02 PM
SEALBound

Doesn't matter, Tangradi will be given an unlimited amount of chances regardless of play. Much like Staal did here.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:05 PM
billybudd

Whether he was mishandled or not, Tangradi hasn't shown a single thing that indicates he belongs at this level, on any line. He reacts to even simple plays slower than I would expect from a guy who's an AHL lifer (and I'm talking about identifying his assignments or reacting to changes in the direction the puck is going, not footspeed) let alone an NHL prospect.

Even other powerforwards whose development was botched looked less out of place on an NHL roster earlier. Brad Isbister had 9 goals when he was four years younger than Tangradi (he should never have been in the NHL at that age). Raise your hand if you think ET looks capable of 9 at present.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
This about sums it up. I was reading a bunch of comments on Facebook where WBS fans were saying "don't send him back down here!"....that tells you all you need to know.

Hopefully Bennett is the real deal and can play along Crosby's side for the duration of his deal. One can dream, right?
Wilkes Barre fans didn't want a lot of prospects back. They hated Orpik & Fleury too. They're idiots.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:01 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Wilkes Barre fans didn't want a lot of prospects back. They hated Orpik & Fleury too. They're idiots.
this is true. I guess they're more interested in 28 year old AHL lifers that will help them win and can care less about development.

But as far as Tangradi goes, still a likely bust.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:15 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Doesn't matter, Tangradi will be given an unlimited amount of chances regardless of play. Much like Staal did here.
Except not

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Valarukar

He really needs to work on his board play, if that improved he could play in the NHL just for that. As of right now I'd say that's actually a weakness of his, or at least so far this year in the NHL it has been. Other than that I think he's a headcase and don't really know if he will ever grow out of that.

Valarukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:24 PM
87isgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
And tangradi is as fast as neal...that's the funniest ***** I've ever heard..guys a bum Iwatch him play and find myself wishing michel oullet was back..he's that bad. Let's move on.

87isgod is offline   Reply With Quote