HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Diaz the $7million dollar defenceman??

Old
01-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Bryson

vCash: 500
Not taking anything away from Diaz but if Subban were playing along side Markov would he be the leading Dman in the NHL right now instead of Diaz? Just some food for thought...

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Not taking anything away from Diaz but if Subban were playing along side Markov would he be the leading Dman in the NHL right now instead of Diaz? Just some food for thought...
Maybe. He'd probably be leading the league in turnovers and shots against the glass too

Dagistitsyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
No he wouldn't. Diaz's success on the power play is mainly he does not waste 1 sec with the puck. Every decision he takes, he takes it very fast, which is a perfect complimentary to a posession player like Markov who takes the center while Diaz is able to go from corner to corner with his AMAZING hustle. Diaz has a much bigger work ethic than I thought.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Jigger77

Diaz knows it's not always about the big shot or the fancy plays on the PP. Just find those lanes, keep things simple and get pucks to the net. Sometimes a quick released wrist shot from the point through traffic is a lot more dangerous than the big predictable wind-up slap shot. He sees the ice really well and makes wise decisions with the puck. Makes it really tough to defend against because you can't anticipate what he's going to do.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:14 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Mark Streit 2.0

HabsProspectsExpert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:34 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
No he wouldn't. Diaz's success on the power play is mainly he does not waste 1 sec with the puck. Every decision he takes, he takes it very fast, which is a perfect complimentary to a posession player like Markov who takes the center while Diaz is able to go from corner to corner with his AMAZING hustle. Diaz has a much bigger work ethic than I thought.
Here in Switzerland, summer/fall 2012 Diaz has been training very hard to improve his level on the points he knew he had to work. He is a workhorse And wants to succeed.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:35 PM
OneSharpMarble

Perfect partner for Markov, not too flashy and knows his role. Markov makes his game look better than it is but that is ok because Markov does that to everyone.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I,d be for signing him long term mid-range salary comes next summer with one year left on his present contract.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Jake5

all I can say is I really hope Diaz stays a Hab for a long time to come

Jake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:23 PM

What happens to the Markov-Diaz PP pairing when Subban gets signed? Markov and Diaz are made for each other. Diaz has a shot that hits the net, he's composed and he has good puck control and makes good passes. He also understands that Markov is the General so he doesn't try to steal the show from Markov.

I will be happy when Subban is signed but is it possible that a Markov-Diaz PP duo is better than a Markov-Subban PP duo? I think Subban would try to do too much and it would piss off Markov.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
What happens to the Markov-Diaz PP pairing when Subban gets signed? Markov and Diaz are made for each other. Diaz has a shot that hits the net, he's composed and he has good puck control and makes good passes. He also understands that Markov is the General so he doesn't try to steal the show from Markov.

I will be happy when Subban is signed but is it possible that a Markov-Diaz PP duo is better than a Markov-Subban PP duo? I think Subban would try to do too much and it would piss off Markov.
3D. Give Markov two options to pass to. The Unstoppable Umbrella.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Slashers98

The Emergence Of Raphael Diaz
http://thehockeywriters.com/the-emer...-raphael-diaz/

My analysis of his game so far.

Slashers98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:11 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
3D. Give Markov two options to pass to. The Unstoppable Umbrella.
exactly.

subban will always be parked off the board waiting for one-timers anyways. give the Penalty Kill guys two places to watch. that's what made our pp with wiz so dangerous: two shooters

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:55 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

3 games in, he's God. Gotta love sports fans.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:38 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
people are excited because he's playing like he never got injured. oh no....

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:58 AM
SwissStef

Just play

Nice vid (in german only)

SwissStef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:40 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
He was god last year before his injury.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:46 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I would not go that far. Diaz has decent instincts, but his execution is not at an elite level or godlike. He also has a tendency to get overpowered at times.

Having said that, I was not happy with his lack of ice time to start, but its been going up steadily with each passing game, so it looks like he is getting the trust of the new coaching staff pretty quick.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:56 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
And physicality!

Diaz is a damn fine first PP guy. I agree that he's no first pairing material. But on the PP I have no problem with him there.

He has a great hard and accurate shot, crisp passing and he can keep the puck in with his mobility and great positioning, what would you want more ?

Yeah, that wasnt of great tase I agree. But I went with the trend of calling him a woman.

Anyway, people who can't bring a constructive argument will not receive a constructive answer.
Perhaps we've been spoiled over the last decade with some fantastic PP triggermen, but I dont see Diaz quite on the same level as our previous guys. His shot is good, not great, and I would like to see him get it through traffic more often. Sometimes, I feel like his shot selection is a little questionable as well. His passing is fine, but not exceptional like markov who can pierce the box at will with cross ice gems.

I see him as a somewhat adequate first unit pp guy with markov, but I think he would make a great 2nd unit guy. We just don't have the luxury to put him on the 2nd unit right now, until PK comes back.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
He was average at best and people wondered why he was not producing more offensively(since it was the only reason he was on the roster to begin with).

I would take Diaz over Weber but still, let's not go crazy.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
people are excited because he's playing like he never got injured. oh no....
5 pages of praise I think is going overboard.

But all sports fans are like this. I read boards all over the net on various sports and the moment a player does well for a couple of matchs, fandom see them as the second coming. It's just that I think it's too soon and we Habs fans tend to create Gods of mere men pretty quickly. Remember Latendresse?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Perhaps we've been spoiled over the last decade with some fantastic PP triggermen, but I dont see Diaz quite on the same level as our previous guys. His shot is good, not great, and I would like to see him get it through traffic more often. Sometimes, I feel like his shot selection is a little questionable as well. His passing is fine, but not exceptional like markov who can pierce the box at will with cross ice gems.

I see him as a somewhat adequate first unit pp guy with markov, but I think he would make a great 2nd unit guy. We just don't have the luxury to put him on the 2nd unit right now, until PK comes back.
From what hes shown, he could be as great as Streit(Wich I think, means pretty much our best Point man since the early '90s. Now he need's to do it consistently. From what I've seen this year(Swiss league too..) and some of last year, he's a good shooter and passer. It's all in the IQ and Diaz as alot of it.

Quote:
5 pages of praise I think is going overboard.

But all sports fans are like this. I read boards all over the net on various sports and the moment a player does well for a couple of matchs, fandom see them as the second coming. It's just that I think it's too soon and we Habs fans tend to create Gods of mere men pretty quickly. Remember Latendresse?
I remember Tender, I also remember injuries and mishandling of his case.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Ollie Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Perfect partner for Markov, not too flashy and knows his role. Markov makes his game look better than it is but that is ok because Markov does that to everyone.
This. Markov dictates what the powerplay is going to do by the way he moves the puck. The other 4 players follow.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:26 PM
rockjngo

Diaz is what Weber should have been. lol

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:49 PM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post

I agree with you. As good as Subban is, if he comes back I don't think I would change our PP, since it's working really well right now. I would put Subban on the second wave and we would simply have 2 great PP waves, with great defensemen on the point, and good forwards on both waves. Pretty interesting PP units to me.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote