Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Johnny Boychuk is a Beast

Old
01-26-2013, 02:14 AM
SpitfireIX

vCash: 500
Johnny Boychuk is a Beast

He is playing the best hockey I have seen from him in the early going of the season and I've always liked what the guy brings. Against the Rangers he had a bunch of monster hits, especially on Nash. Against the Isles he blocks a shot then hobbles around to finish the play on one leg. He walks it off in the dressing room hallway and then returns to shutdown Tavarez alongside Chara. He also punched in a goal on opening night. This guy is becoming a bargain despite the pay raise he recieved with the way he plays.

SpitfireIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:21 AM
topcat986*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
He is playing the best hockey I have seen from him in the early going of the season and I've always liked what the guy brings. Against the Rangers he had a bunch of monster hits, especially on Nash. Against the Isles he blocks a shot then hobbles around to finish the play on one leg. He walks it off in the dressing room hallway and then returns to shutdown Tavarez alongside Chara. He also punched in a goal on opening night. This guy is becoming a bargain despite the pay raise he recieved with the way he plays.

Some in GDT said buyout and brutal in regards to him. Bottom line if Bruin management is happy with him so am I.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:29 AM
SpitfireIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucicfist View Post
Some in GDT said buyout and brutal in regards to him. Bottom line if Bruin management is happy with him so am I.
Ya I saw some of that and didn't know what they were thinking. Someone also tried to say he had a bad game against the Rangers which is funny since McGuire and Co. were calling him the defensman of the game.

SpitfireIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:57 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

I like Johnny cuz he signed my Bruins "Black and Gold" book

and his rocket of a shot

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:15 AM
scotiahockey
Insider

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
The intangibles that Johnny Boychuk brings make him nearly untradeable. Not that he's a superstar status but there's no 1 else in the Bruins lineup that can do what Johnny does. His toughness is off the charts. No 1 else on the Bruins blue line can blow up opposing attackers in open ice like boychuck can. If there's 1 area that he lacks in is hockey IQ might be slightly lower than you would like to see in a number 3 or 4 defenseman, but his never give up attitude bridges that gap more than satisfactorily.

He is more valuable to the Bruins on defense in anyone not named Chara or Seidenberg. I may have to add the name Hamilton to that list very soon. Even so what he brings is unique, and necessary, almost prerequisite to the Bruins successes. I have been of this mindset since early in the Stanley Cup season. Do not trade Johnny boychuck

scotiahockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:18 AM
mikeybuddha91

I love manchuk, but I feel he's had the most iffy moments of all our dmen so far. He's been great besides those, which is strange to me. He's going to have a great season once he's fully in the swing.

mikeybuddha91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Ya I saw some of that and didn't know what they were thinking. Someone also tried to say he had a bad game against the Rangers which is funny since McGuire and Co. were calling him the defensman of the game.
Regardless of what McGuire and Co. said about him, he did have a bad game against the Rangers. Most of the times he got spanked were due to him playing the wrong side however.

He's looked rusty imo.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:24 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Boychuk is over paid, but that's not his fault. Obviously the FO likes him, otherwise they wouldn't have extended him. Ference is up after this year though, and Seids the year after. With the cap going down, something's got to give.

01-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Killerbeez
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
goes to show that we all have opinions and in the grand scheme they mean nothing to anyone except us. I never understood the Boychuk hate that we see from time to time on here. He is what he is and I'm glad he's on our team.

Last edited by Killerbeez: 01-26-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling!
Killerbeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:36 AM
redsox7327

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucicfist View Post
Some in GDT said buyout and brutal in regards to him.
No doubt someone would trade for him at his current salary.

redsox7327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 07:37 AM
DoubleAAAA

I think JB55 has improved huge over last year and he's been one of our best players so far. He got schooled by Nash a couple times, but there's no shame in that. I might argue he's been our best D man so far.

DoubleAAAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:22 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Boychuk is a beast.

I agree with Kaoz that he's looked a little rusty in terms of his positioning and decision making but he's a punishing hitter who's shown he can play in this system and has earned his spot in our top-four (a Cup winning top-four). He can (and has) changed games and the course of a series with his hitting game.

I don't think he's overpaid and think there would be a line out the door if for JB if the B's made him available. He's part of what gives this team it's identity.

01-26-2013, 08:46 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

I love Boychuk. He can hit, score, fight, and seems to be a funny guy off the ice. This team looks like such a tight bunch, everybody seems to want to be here. Would be so tough to trade someone. Chemistry is huge.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:01 AM
bostonphoenix

None of the players on our team are "bad contracts".

Next season's cap is going to be a real issue. Theres no way around it. I imagine in two years the cap will go up and things will be different. I don't think Boychuck will be the casualty of next seasons cap, there would have to be someone in addition.

Boychuck's contract may be an overpayment, but he's playing fine.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Kalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebottom View Post
I love Boychuk. He can hit, score, fight, and seems to be a funny guy off the ice. This team looks like such a tight bunch, everybody seems to want to be here. Would be so tough to trade someone. Chemistry is huge.
I'm a fan of Boychuck, but I think people overvalue his open ice hit and fight contribution. He's good for two or three fights per year, usually against middle weights, and honestly how many open ice hits per year? 15, 20? If that's right, you are talking one every four games or so.

Heck of a shot (that he doesn't get off enough), pretty good positionally, real good team guy, and tough. Depending on how things shake out with Ference's contract coming up and Dougie's development, Boychuck might be a bit of a luxury given his cap hit in the context of the new cap limit.

Kalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Regardless of what McGuire and Co. said about him, he did have a bad game against the Rangers. Most of the times he got spanked were due to him playing the wrong side however.

He's looked rusty imo.
Yeah... from what I've caught of the Bruins games Boychuk hasn't looked great. I think he is always going to look a little lost at times but the intangibles he brings make up for it.

Beyonder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:57 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiahockey View Post
The intangibles that Johnny Boychuk brings make him nearly untradeable. Not that he's a superstar status but there's no 1 else in the Bruins lineup that can do what Johnny does. His toughness is off the charts. No 1 else on the Bruins blue line can blow up opposing attackers in open ice like boychuck can. If there's 1 area that he lacks in is hockey IQ might be slightly lower than you would like to see in a number 3 or 4 defenseman, but his never give up attitude bridges that gap more than satisfactorily.

He is more valuable to the Bruins on defense in anyone not named Chara or Seidenberg. I may have to add the name Hamilton to that list very soon. Even so what he brings is unique, and necessary, almost prerequisite to the Bruins successes. I have been of this mindset since early in the Stanley Cup season. Do not trade Johnny boychuck

Agreed. He is very underrated. If he made a lot more money it might be an issue but doesn't he make Kelly/Peverley money? For 20 or so good, hard minutes per game that seems like a good bargain. Every player makes mistakes, but generally Boychuk doesn't make too many and his pros certainly outweigh his cons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalus View Post
I'm a fan of Boychuck, but I think people overvalue his open ice hit and fight contribution. He's good for two or three fights per year, usually against middle weights, and honestly how many open ice hits per year? 15, 20? If that's right, you are talking one every four games or so.

Heck of a shot (that he doesn't get off enough), pretty good positionally, real good team guy, and tough. Depending on how things shake out with Ference's contract coming up and Dougie's development, Boychuck might be a bit of a luxury given his cap hit in the context of the new cap limit.
Those 15-20 open ice hits would have to be enough to earn a reputation that forces players to keep their heads up for sure.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:06 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

I've been a Johnny Boychuk fan ever since he became a Bruin. Love his toughness, his rocket shot [wish he'd take more of them] and ability to crush with a clean open ice hit. I think he has grown into a real solid defenseman- he keeps improving steadily each season which is something you like to see in a player.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:01 PM
ORRMAN

I think Boychuck looks better so far this year than he did last year. It's very early, but I like his game a little better: good pinches, great shot, taking the body, etc. It looks as if he's playing the way he did at his best in the Cup season. I'm a little surprised that some see it the other way around.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
I was thinking with all the rest the players got from a locked-out 4 game old season nobody would look rusty.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Get rid of him and bring in PK Subban. If you don't think this way you're not a real Bruins fan.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Get rid of him and bring in PK Subban. If you don't think this way you're not a real Bruins fan.

As much as I like Johnny Rocket, we would be a better team with that swap.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:08 PM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
I used to be very critical of his play, and I was not happy when the Bruins re-signed him, but I have to give him credit for the way he has solidified his game last couple of seasons. I never thought he was a smart player and he was often mistake/turnover prone. But he has really stepped up, and I think he has filled the role of 3rd D very admirably. Good job by him getting better, and good job by the Bruins knowing what they had.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:35 PM
TCL40

If I had to choose between Seids, Boychuk and Ference I am keeping Seids and Boychuk.

Seids and Boychuk are both key components of the Bruins defense. Seids is a work horse.

Ference I do think has some lockerroom pluses but his skill set IMO is the most replaceable.

TCL40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:47 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
I used to be very critical of his play, and I was not happy when the Bruins re-signed him, but I have to give him credit for the way he has solidified his game last couple of seasons. I never thought he was a smart player and he was often mistake/turnover prone. But he has really stepped up, and I think he has filled the role of 3rd D very admirably. Good job by him getting better, and good job by the Bruins knowing what they had.
I agree with all of this.

TMac21 is offline   Reply With Quote