HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 10.0 - NHL'er! Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 02:39 PM
bib
#believe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I really hope Galchenyuk is not that fragile. There will be plenty of disappointment to come, as there is in all players' careers.
Yes, at this transitioning stage of their career, 18 year olds are somewhat fragile.

You run a slippery slope in demoting a potential future star. It does not play well to their mentality.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I really hope Galchenyuk is not that fragile. There will be plenty of disappointment to come, as there is in all players' careers.
Me too, lets hope he's not that big of a prima donna.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
That

Galchenyuk is seemingly gaining confidence in his abilities every shift. That stretch pass at the end of last nights game was beautiful. His defensive game has been quite good. He still has a few things that he should work on, but I'm impressed.

I really like how he's starting to get his nose dirty. He's going along the board and working hard in front of the net. He still seems a cautious of going into the slot, which is understandable for a player just three games into his career. Once he starts getting comfortable in that area, I think he'll start playing much better. He's absolutely deadly in the slot, it's just a matter of the confidence of getting there.

I don't see any reason for him not to stick now. He's keeping up the speed of the game and he looks strong enough to play. Right now, he's playing like an NHLer. That said, I really don't think it would hurt for him to finish the season in Sarnia. He's got a good head on his shoulders. He'll understand what he has to adjust or improve to stick in the NHL and makes those changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He is tenative and not attacking like in junior.
Did you really expect to come into the line up and start doing behind the back passes, rushing the puck up the ice while dangling through the entire team, and unleashing his wrist shot from the slot in his first few games? It takes time, he'll get there.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
Yes, at this transitioning stage of their career, 18 year olds are somewhat fragile.

You run a slippery slope in demoting a potential future star. It does not play well to their mentality.
You may run an ever worse slope if you make him face opposition he is not ready to handle.

Our easy schedule is a bit of a curse to evaluate Galchenyuk's true potential. I wished we had him for the game against the Bs

Old
01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
There's like 20 games left in the Stings season...what exactly would he benefit from more in Sarnia, as opposed to in Montreal?

I would understand sending him down if he was physically overmatched, had trouble keeping up with the speed, seemed overwhelmed...

I haven't seen any of this...I guess to some people, if he's not dominating like he was in Sarnia, it means he's not ready
All valid points. The 20 games left to play in Sarnia is what it comes down to if you ask me. 40+ games in the NHL will be much better for his development than burning the OHL for 20 games.

He is keeping up and MT is using him well. Take the game vs. the Caps for example, MT didn't play him as much because Oates kept matching his big line to our kid line, instead he gave em 2 (or was it 3 ) first PP shifts, which didnt turn into goals, but hey... if Subban had been on that PP instead of Bouillon that sick pass from Gally woulda turned into a goal.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:16 PM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

Would you accept to trade Subban one on one for Galchenyyk, if he werent a Habs?
I have that weird feeling Gally will end up being a second line centre

Old
01-25-2013, 09:39 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
Would you accept to trade Subban one on one for Galchenyyk, if he werent a Habs?
Alright, lol.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
well for sure, since players drafted by the Habs can never become elite, and are always worth less than players drafted by other teams.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:03 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Of course it's a weird feeling, it's the wrong one.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:05 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
I feel like this post is the equivalent of a drive by that fails to hit the target...

Old
01-26-2013, 12:31 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
I kinda feel baertschi will be a 13th forward.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:13 AM
DAChampion

If we're lucky, Galchenyuk will become as good as Tyler Seguin.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:36 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Tough call whether to keep him up or not. Once the veterans around the league get their legs underneath them, and the checking gets a bit tighter, Galchenyuk may find himself completely lost, and risks some regression.

OTOH, there's not many games left in the OHL, and one can make the argument that he has nothing left to learn at that level.

My gut feeling is that he's going to end up staying... whether that's the right call, well, I'm on the fence. If it was a regular 82 game season, I would certainly lean towards sending him down, but this is a unique case.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:56 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If we're lucky, Galchenyuk will become as good as Tyler Seguin.
As far as I see it, Galchenyuk will get as good as his skating gets. All the skills, creativity, brains are there as well as the size (he could approach 230 when he's done). His skating isn't bad at all but he can definitely get more explosive. If he can dramatically improve that then who knows how high his ceiling is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Tough call whether to keep him up or not. Once the veterans around the league get their legs underneath them, and the checking gets a bit tighter, Galchenyuk may find himself completely lost, and risks some regression.

OTOH, there's not many games left in the OHL, and one can make the argument that he has nothing left to learn at that level.

My gut feeling is that he's going to end up staying... whether that's the right call, well, I'm on the fence. If it was a regular 82 game season, I would certainly lean towards sending him down, but this is a unique case.
Really torn myself. I'd be fine with either one but I definitely want him to stay. At first i didn't think much of burning a year off his ELC but it could really help us down the road if we don't. Remember that Bergevin saw a potential dynasty in Chicago get broken up due to poor cap management so who knows. Really tough call.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:29 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
At first i didn't think much of burning a year off his ELC but it could really help us down the road if we don't. Remember that Bergevin saw a potential dynasty in Chicago get broken up due to poor cap management so who knows. Really tough call.
But it's NOT burning a year. Alex will get MORe games in playing in Montreal than in Junior. The WJC is past us, there are only about 20 games left in the OHL, 45 games left in the NHL.

Right now, he might be our 6th or 7th best offensive forward, and the potential is there to get even better. The Bruins won a Stanley Cup with Tyler Seguin as a rookie, and he was brought along slowly; his presence did not hinder them.

Steven Stamkos had a slow start to his career but definitely benefitted from staying with Tampa at 18.

Galchenyuk is virtually a first overall pick, only his injury last year likely prevented that.

I say go for it and let the chips fall where they may.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:42 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Galchenyuk is virtually a first overall pick, only his injury last year likely prevented that.
Yakupov actually had substantially better stats than Galchenyuk in 2010-2011 when they were 16, I don't know why it's assumed Galchenyuk would have been a clear cut #1. Also, Ryan Murray is a very respectable draft choice.

I like Galchenyuk, but let's not be carried away. At best, we can say the top-3 was very close.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:32 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Both Gally and Gallagher should stay, it's only been a couple of games but both showed me that they belong.

Both seem to have solid work ethics on and off the ice.
Both are aggressive and don't look intimated in any way on the ice.

While I like the fact that Prust is on the line, It would. I would love to see a line of:

Gally---Eller---Gallagher
Moen---Prust---Armstrong

Old
01-26-2013, 08:00 AM
vipergtx18*

i wan see Patch-GallyA-GallyB if DD and cole dont start clicking. whats the worst that can happen

Old
01-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Mats86

I think he'd be better a star in junior that 10 minutes a night here. Don't want this to turn into another Svoboda, who started like a star only to be overmatched once opponets found his weaknesses. Difference in points between him and Eller would be nil, where we are literally wasting a former first round pick. There's plenty of time for Gal in future.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:03 PM
GalHabsGal

Its official , Gally will play with the Habs this years
(well, is not official, but with Pacioretty out, I don't think he will be send back to Sarnia )

Now ... do you see Gally on the 3 line, or on the left wing on the 1 line?
I think he will play on the 3 line 2 games, and move to the 1 line after 2 bad game from Eller

Old
01-26-2013, 09:24 PM
poetryinmotion

If he's here for the year, then I would seriously hope MT plans on grooming him into the first line center role this very season as to not waste time. By the end of the season I expect him to b counted on to score and pay with the best wingers, at his natural position. I realize this is an insane amount of growing for Galchenyuk to do in a single year, but he is capable of it.

Old
01-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Steve Shutt

If we send Galchenyuk back down to Sarnia, can we recall him to Mtl (for the conclusion of the regular season) if Sarnia fails to make the playoffs or get eliminated? Is it different if it's for Montreal's playoffs (as opposed to regular season)?

I imagine Hamilton could call him up if they make the playoffs but it's not looking positive for them.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:10 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
If we send Galchenyuk back down to Sarnia, can we recall him to Mtl (for the conclusion of the regular season) if Sarnia fails to make the playoffs or get eliminated? Is it different if it's for Montreal's playoffs (as opposed to regular season)?

I imagine Hamilton could call him up if they make the playoffs but it's not looking positive for them.
Junior aged players cannot play in ahl. NHL cannot call up from Juniors unless extreme circumstance.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:16 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Junior aged players cannot play in ahl. NHL cannot call up from Juniors unless extreme circumstance.
And pray tell us what could be these "extreme circumstances"?

Boston did called up Seguin.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:26 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Yes they can. As long as their season and playoff obligations are fulfilled with their junior teams, then there's nothing stopping them from playing in the AHL.

Closed Thread