HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks 3, Stars 2 (OT) - "Flying High Again" Edition

Old
01-25-2013, 08:49 PM
sketch22

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
You can say with a straight face that none of the goals this year have been on Crawford? Are you a politician?
I never said that. What I said is that there are other starting goalies in the league that would have given them up as well. Sure some goalies might have been able to stop one or two more of them, but I find it hard to believe that they would have also come up with all of the big saves Crawford has made so far this year as well. My point was that while Crawford hasn't been perfect, he has made some big saves. People keep complaining about Crawford not bailing out the defense while refusing to recognize the times this year when he has bailed out the defense, because they think that is just what goalies are supposed to do every time.

And I do honestly believe that if Hawks keep playing defense the way they are that no matter who the goalie is the offense will need to score 3-4 goals a game to win consistently.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
Crawford has only let in 6 goals so far this season. The first one (vs LA) was a point shot that he couldn't see due to a screen. The second goal (vs LA) happened after he was taken out by his own d-man. The third goal (vs STL) came on a 2-1 caused by a bad line change and Nick Leddy being way out of position. The fourth (vs STL) came on a pp and was Oshie wide open on the side of the net to tap in a rebound. The fifth (vs Dal) came on a partial break by Eriksson. The sixth (vs Dal) came when the Hawks failed to clear the zone and left Whitney wide open in front of the net.

Out of those six goals how many do you honestly think any other goalie would have stopped? And what about Crawford repeatedly shutting the door at the end of the game vs the Blues when the defense couldn't clear the puck out of the zone? Does another goalie automatically make all those saves because if Crawford could do it anyone can?

If the defense continues to repeatedly fail at clearing the puck and giving up breakaways it won't matter who is in goal because the Hawks will still have to score 3-4 goals a game to win.
Tis why I ask.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:53 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Saad looks solid, but playing on the first line, he needs to score or set up a few for his linemates. I kinda figured Q would do this as he obviously loves Saad's game ... and we are winning, so I doubt he will shuffle the top 6 at this point, but Saad needs to generate more offense. It is a short season and no team can afford to be toooo patient, waiting for a youngster to develop in the top 6, and in doing so, not have the best line combinations possible. Again, I like Saad but there is nothing wrong with him gaining experience on the 3rd line, and possibly give him some PP time to keep his confidence up.
Saad has been getting and creating chances.. I'm not sure what games you've been watching. Against St.Louis he was outstandiitng and against Dallas he was very good. Just because he doesn't have a point yet doesn't mean he's not getting/creating chances.

I don't have a problem with Saad getting bumped to the third line.. but why would they move him when he's been playing so well?

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:54 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

And Stalberg has been playing well where he's at. Really, only Emery and Shaw have looked like they don't belong.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:05 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Saad has been getting and creating chances.. I'm not sure what games you've been watching. Against St.Louis he was outstandiitng and against Dallas he was very good. Just because he doesn't have a point yet doesn't mean he's not getting/creating chances.

I don't have a problem with Saad getting bumped to the third line.. but why would they move him when he's been playing so well?
I don't think it should be immediate but that line needs to score goals. If they don't start producing (ES goals) the team may suffer, is all I am saying. Meanwhile VS is being hindered playing on the 3rd line with a struggling Shaw. Shaw looked better last game so maybe it will work out as is, but Q can't afford to wait very long, rookie or no rookie.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:12 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Bump Kruger up, play Mayers at C and use Shaw as an energy winger.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Bump Kruger up, play Mayers at C and use Shaw as an energy winger.
Ya mon.

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Bolland-Kane
Stalberg-Kruger-Shaw
Carcillo-Mayers-Frolik

Or switch Shaw/Frolik. That looks a lot better than Shaw at center. My mom looks better at center than Shaw.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:40 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

the most obvious non call was against Toews on a partial breakaway. I was watching the Dallas feed and even they questioned it. The call in OT was weak, and the league needs to look at that rule. I do applaud the clamp down on interference entering the offensive zone. As has been mentioned, this should help the Hawks.

Last edited by DisgruntledHawkFan: 01-26-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: qdp
BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

(not) One of us! (not) One of us! (not) One of us!

Old
01-26-2013, 08:46 AM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I don't think it should be immediate but that line needs to score goals. If they don't start producing (ES goals) the team may suffer, is all I am saying. Meanwhile VS is being hindered playing on the 3rd line with a struggling Shaw. Shaw looked better last game so maybe it will work out as is, but Q can't afford to wait very long, rookie or no rookie.
Refresh my memory here.Doesn't a member of that line lead the league in goals ?? Doesnt matter if they're es,pp or sh,its the goals that count.And doesnt the 3rd liner Stalberg have 2goals in those 4 gms ? Dont see where the problem is,both Saad and Stalberg are doing just fine where they are.

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Hawkaholic

The problem with switching Stalberg and Saad is that our bottom 6 would have even more trouble scoring goals. Stalberg on the 3rd line balances things out a little better.

Until Hossa and Toews start going stale in production, just keep things the way they are.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:12 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Hawks don't play that way, more of run and gun and it suits them. These first four games remind me of the cup team.
Exactly. Crawford is going to give up more goals then a lot of the goalies that play on a team that is defense-oriented. The Hawks style of play produces lots of goals, and because of this style, they also allow a lot of opportunities for the other team to get odd man rushes or transition opportunities. I'm not saying Crawford is a "good" goalie, just as of right now, good enough. This team is capable of scoring more goals than the other team, and that's the objective. You don't have to win a game 1-0, 5-2 yields the same result.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I agree to an extent, but that shouldn't be our long-term plan of winning. Remember when the Caps won the President's trophy just by pure offense? And then fizzled against Montreal in the playoffs?

That's what our future will look like if our defense doesn't play up to par. If you want to win the cup, you need to be able to win 2-1 or 1-0 games. Our cup team could do it as well as win 6-1 or 6-2 games. However, we're not nearly as stacked as we were in 2010 so defense needs to be a priority.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Uhhh, Crawford has made lots of saves when he has needed to.
I don't think you need to be reminded about what happened the last time we really needed Craw to make the saves?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote