HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens-Flames

Old
01-25-2013, 10:48 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Stempniak is a 12-goal a year scorer. How is that an upgrade? Sounds like you want to make a trade just for the sake of, instead of acquiring a potential difference maker, not a role player with little upside.
Skill-wise he would be your 2nd best winger by a mile.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:52 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Stempniak is a 12-goal a year scorer. How is that an upgrade? Sounds like you want to make a trade just for the sake of, instead of acquiring a potential difference maker, not a role player with little upside.
Where are you getting your information?

Lee Stempniak has never scored less than 13 goals in an NHL season. He is a 15-25 goal scorer depending on his health.

Last year - 14 goals, 28 points in 61 games played
2010-2011 - 19 Goals, 38 points in 82 Games Played
2009-2010 - 28 Goals, 48 points in 80 Games Played
2008-2009 - 14 goals, 44 points in 75 Games Played

He would be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh in my opinion. A 2nd is fair value as well.

All in all I think this is a good proposal.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:55 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

Lee Stempniak has never scored less than 13 goals in an NHL season. He is a 15-25 goal scorer depending on his health.

2009-2010 - 28 Goals, 58 points in 80 Games Played

He would be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh in my opinion. A 2nd is fair value as well.

He's had 27 and 28 goals as career highs. Not hard to imagine that he could easily crack 30 in a full year on Crosby's wing. Maybe even 35.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Flat Stanley

vCash: 500
Quote:
2005-2006
Stempniak (STL): 57 GP, 14 goals, 13 assists, 27 points, -10 rating

2006-2007
Stempniak (STL): 82 GP, 27 goals, 25 assists, 52 points, -2 rating

2007-2008
Stempniak (STL): 80 GP, 13 goals, 25 assists, 38 points, even rating
Kennedy (PIT): 55 GP, 10 goals, 9 assists, 19 points, +2 rating

2008-2009
Stempniak (STL/TOR): 75 GP, 14 goals, 30 assists, 44 points, -12 rating
Kennedy (PIT): 67 GP, 15 goals, 20 assists, 35 points, +15 rating

2009-2010
Stempniak (TOR/PHX): 80 GP, 28 goals, 20 assists, 48 points, even rating
Kennedy (PIT): 64 GP, 13 goals, 12 assists, 25 points, +10 rating

2010-2011
Stempniak (PHX): 82 GP, 19 goals, 19 assists, 38 points, +4 rating
Kennedy (PIT): 80 GP, 21 goals, 24 assists, 45 points, +1 rating

2011-2012
Stempniak (CGY): 61 GP, 14 goals, 14 assists, 28 points, -2 rating
Kennedy (PIT): 60 GP, 11 goals, 22 assists, 33 points, +10 rating

2012-2013 (as of right now)
Stempniak (CGY): 3 GP, 2 goals, 0 assists, 2 points, even rating
Kennedy (PIT): 4 GP, 1 goal, 0 assists, 1 point, -2 rating

I don't know, seems to me like Lee Stempniak can be an upgrade in the Penguins top 6 over Tyler Kennedy.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:34 AM
Honour Over Glory

Only if Craig Adams is included in the deal.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Skill-wise he would be your 2nd best winger by a mile.
Lee isn't better than Kunitz. He'd be the 3rd best winger and that's fine by me. Skill wise.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:41 AM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Lee isn't better than Kunitz. He'd be the 3rd best winger and that's fine by me. Skill wise.
It's debatable. He's twice passed Kunitz' best goal scoring seasons, so it can be argued he's a better goal scoring winger, which is what Pittsburgh would be looking for.

Just look at what Stemps did when he was traded to Phoenix for an example of how good he can be when he's hot. He's very streaky but at his best he's better than Kunitz at his best IMO; at scoring goals anyway. Stemps is a pure sniper which is exactly what Pittsburgh needs. I think he would crack 30 goals in Pittsburgh.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:42 AM
KIRK

Proposal isn't unfair now, but Stempniak is the type of move a team does at the last minute as Plan D or Plan E, and usually for a 3rd or a 4th (especially in a draft like this).

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:59 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Proposal isn't unfair now, but Stempniak is the type of move a team does at the last minute as Plan D or Plan E, and usually for a 3rd or a 4th (especially in a draft like this).
The problem is in a short season most teams won't be looking to move players as everyone looks to have a chance at the playoffs so it will take overpayment to get a player that can play in your top 6.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:16 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
I remember Stemniak with the Blues and Leafs, that guy has a killer one timer, if he's given space and time and with Malkin & Neal, he'd get that, he could score goals. He's a goal scorer, he's not going to be a guy that will make that sweet pass, but he's not half bad at that either. He's basically on the off wing doing what Neal does on the other side, Geno just does the rest, which is getting them the puck.

But as we've seen as of late, Geno's line needs the defensive awareness of Kunitz, if anything, I'd want to see Kunitz moved back to the Geno line and Lee on Sid's line on his LW with Dupuis. That line is solid defensively as is with Dupers and Sid, adding a right handed shot on the off wing that has a good shot, couldn't hurt.

I'd do...

Kunitz, Malkin, Neal
Stempniak, Crosby, Dupuis

And I wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder to get Stempniak. I think Jeffrey deserves a better shot elsewhere, moving him to Calgary for Stempniak would be fair I think. I wouldn't doubt Jeffrey pushing Stajan and Jones down to be the 3rd line C. Even add Ben Lovejoy if need be, both need a change of scenery, better yet, all 3 do. Well, maybe not so much Lee, he has 2 goals in 3 games, while not insanely awesome, it's pretty decent.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:32 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Who though? Anyone I can think of would cost significantly more then a second, or currently play for a playoff hopeful team who wouldn't be interested in prospects/picks..
Honestly not sure right now. But honestly I'd rather that 2nd pick get packaged for someone better than Stempniak. He could be an asset, but he's too inconsistent in everything (shots, hits, scoring, etc). For someone like him, I think we can find someone else (D'Agostini?) who's production would likely be similar (perhaps less), but cheaper to acquire.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:22 AM
Adirondack Flames

vCash: 50
I think the proposal is fair, but it would definitely be more of a deadline deal I think.

For now I would like to see Stempniak playing with Baertschi & Backlund

Adirondack Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:13 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

2009-2010 - 28 Goals, 48 points in 80 Games Played

Fine, I'm not forking over much for a 14-goal; 28-point player. I think a second rounder should fetch a better player than that. I'm not a fan of Stempniak's and don't think Shero should give up more than a third. He isn't worth a second. The days of him hitting 20 goals and he has only done it twice are over.

A second rounder is to be put in a deal with a type A prospect to fetch someone significant. There is only one guy on your roster that Pittsburgh should focus on. It's not Stempniak.

Last edited by OCPenguin: 01-26-2013 at 08:28 AM.
OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:26 AM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Fine, I'm not forking over much for a 14-goal; 28-point player. I think a second rounder should fetch a better player than that. I'm not a fan of Stempniak's and don't think Shero should give up more than a third. He isn't worth a second. The days of him hitting 20 goals and he has only done it twice are over.

A second rounder is to be put in a deal with a type A prospect to fetch someone significant. There is only one guy on your roster that Pittsburgh should focus on. It's not Stempniak.
Hahahaha.

Lee Stempniak scored 14 goals last year, you're right, in 61 games though, which is a 19 goal pace, playing limited 3rd line minutes. The year before that he had 19 goals in Phoenix, a low scoring team, and then 28 the year before that. How the hell are his 20 goal days over??

You're just glancing at his stats without any context at all.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:19 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Stempniak would be a good fit in Pittsburgh. He'd add some size, grit and not hurt the finishing ability on a line. Give us a 2nd rounder and a warm body with a contract about to expire and we'll call it a day.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:33 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Hahahaha.

Lee Stempniak scored 14 goals last year, you're right, in 61 games though, which is a 19 goal pace, playing limited 3rd line minutes. The year before that he had 19 goals in Phoenix, a low scoring team, and then 28 the year before that. How the hell are his 20 goal days over??

You're just glancing at his stats without any context at all.
Dude, I don't think you get it. I'm not a fan of his. You say he is an upgrade over Kennedy. Well, there are kids in the OHL that are. Stempy is Kennedy 1.25. He is not much of an upgrade over Kennedy for Pittsburgh to even consider shelling out a second round pick for him. He isn't an answer. We need answers, not a slight upgrade over Kennedy. He is a third line guy in Pittsburgh too and our third line is fine.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
Dude, I don't think you get it. I'm not a fan of his. You say he is an upgrade over Kennedy. Well, there are kids in the OHL that are. Stempy is Kennedy 1.25. He is not much of an upgrade over Kennedy for Pittsburgh to even consider shelling out a second round pick for him. He isn't an answer. We need answers, not a slight upgrade over Kennedy. He is a third line guy in Pittsburgh too and our third line is fine.
He's a definite upgrade over Kennedy and would certainly play in your top 6. Besides Neal your team doesn't have any pure shooters like Stempniak. His style is complimentary to a guy like Crosby in a way that most of your wingers could never be.

I get that you don't like him, it doesn't change the fact though that you're greatly undervaluing him.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:38 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
He's a definite upgrade over Kennedy and would certainly play in your top 6. Besides Neal your team doesn't have any pure shooters like Stempniak. His style is complimentary to a guy like Crosby in a way that most of your wingers could never be.

I get that you don't like him, it doesn't change the fact though that you're greatly undervaluing him.
HE ISN'T WORTH A SECOND ROUND PICK. He is a third line guy on most teams in the NHL. You said it yourself ... last year he played LIMITED THIRD LINE minutes for Calgary, a terrible team. That sums it up for me. He might have value, but not a second round pick. That goes in a package for a significant piece, not a minor upgrade over Kennedy.

I'd rather give a second for Glencross personally.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:38 AM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
HE ISN'T WORTH A SECOND ROUND PICK. He is a third line guy on most teams in the NHL. You said it yourself ... last year he played LIMITED THIRD LINE minutes for Calgary, a terrible team. That sums it up for me. He might have value, but not a second round pick. That goes in a package for a significant piece, not a minor upgrade over Kennedy.

Calgary has twice the depth on wings that Pittsburgh has. You may think Calgary is terrible, but if you think they're weak on the wings than you know as much about the Flames as you do about Stempniak.

And everyone would give a 2nd for Glencross. I want a gold toilet. Neither of these things are gonna happen though.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:07 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

I can play this game to I would give up a 2nd for Crosby doesn't mean thats going to happen.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:13 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Calgary has twice the depth on wings that Pittsburgh has. You may think Calgary is terrible, but if you think they're weak on the wings than you know as much about the Flames as you do about Stempniak.

And everyone would give a 2nd for Glencross. I want a gold toilet. Neither of these things are gonna happen though.
There is a reason why your organization is the way it is I know quite a bit about the Flames. A lousy organization with no direction, a lack of talent on the major league roster and in the farm system and a diehard fan base that deserves better. How is that? Your organization is more apt to take risks at the draft table than draft talent. It is more apt to bring in veteran question marks at ridiculous prices (see Hudler at 4 million and Wideman at 5.25 million) than bring in longer term answers.

Almost every NHL team is deeper at wing than the Pens. That said, Stemp is not worth a second round flier in my opinion still. That is a valuable piece you package along with one of our 50,000 puck moving d-prospects for a much better talent and one that answers the problem instead of giving you an upgrade over Tyler Kennedy.

On second thought ... twice the depth? You have nothing on the farm and your top wingers are Glencross, Tanguay, Iginla, Stemp and Baertschi versus Kunitz, Neal, Dupuis, Kennedy and Cooke. HMMM ... that seems pretty even right there.

I hope Calgary turns it around because they deserve better and quite frankly, its the only Canadian team I give a jack crap about besides Ottawa.

Last edited by OCPenguin: 01-26-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I can play this game to I would give up a 2nd for Crosby doesn't mean thats going to happen.
So, you think Glencross is in Crosby's level now?

Old
01-26-2013, 12:21 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:
He's pointing out that a 2nd for Glencross is absurd. Which it is.

Honestly guy, no offense but you don't know anything about the Flames. You were wrong about Stempniak, wrong about the Flames' wing depth, wrong about Glencross, and your assessment of the Flames in general is just a parroting of what HFBoards likes to think.

You should probably stick to discussing players and teams in the Eastern Conference.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:23 PM
GetThePuckOut

Quote:

On second thought ... twice the depth? You have nothing on the farm and your top wingers are Glencross, Tanguay, Iginla, Stemp and Baertschi versus Kunitz, Neal, Dupuis, Kennedy and Cooke. HMMM ... that seems pretty even right there.
I'm not surprised that you think that's even.

Also you forgot to mention Cammalleri and Jiri Hudler.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:23 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
If you think that a 2nd is glencross's value then sure.