HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The word "celly": love or hate?

View Poll Results: "Celly" as a slang term for celebration
Love it 55 14.71%
Hate it 214 57.22%
Indifferent/this is a dumb thing to worry about 105 28.07%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Affinity

vCash: 500
I think the reason why it looks like this generation is screwed is because of the internet, facebook, mass media, etc. We're just seeing so much stupid stuff that would have gone unnoticed in the past. They all put their dumb thoughts/actions on the internet for everyone to see. Kids do a lot of stupid stuff, who is surprised by this?

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:04 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
"inside mad"

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
celly hard, bro.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:30 AM
avsfan09

LOL at people who care what words other people use. Who gives a crap. Is this really something that gets people upset?

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:23 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Celly, to me, invokes artifacts of contemporary culture like snapbacks, swag, #yolo, ******, and the Big Bang Theory. Therefore I vote that I hate it.

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:33 AM
roflstomper
I don't row.

I always thought celly was like a cell mate or something. Dat prison lingo.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:39 AM
DL44

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Exactly. Some kids these days are saying "cool" to describe something thats the cats meow. Why would you call something thats jim dandy an uncomfortable temperature? If its the bees knees, its not going to be making me cold.
That is just great!

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Teachers are produced by the same university system that produces any other bachelor's degree...not quite sure what you mean. If your saying that teachers are produced from an underfunded system than your saying the same thing about business, philosophy, psychology etc
"If your saying?"

Did you grow up with class sizes of 20-30, or 30/40+? Did you have regular gym, art, and music classes, and field trips to museums (etc), or were they necessary victims of budget cuts? Did kids have to prove themselves ready for the next grade before getting moved along (or risk repeating), or did everyone just move along together, regardless? Are you more familiar with standardized multiple choice testing or 10 page essay style tests requiring written answers that would be scrutinized for accuracy, information, AND language usage?

Those would be a couple of my "highlights" for how underfunding and abolishing of minimum requirements in the recent past concern me. I'm not as concerned with curriculum delivery at the university level as the lack of basic language fundamentals of students entering university; some of whom will become the language educators of tomorrow's youth. I have a few friends who are university profs (various faculties), and they will tell anyone that grading papers in modern times has had to become much more lenient when it comes to scrutinizing spelling, grammar, and punctuation. It's either that or face lineups of complaints outside their office about grades.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

People complain that the younger generation is apparently "lazy" for shortening words. In reality, it is to meet the twitter character limit. When Dreger used it in a tweet, he was on exactly 140 characters, if he had used the full word, he would have been over the character limit.

Also to the older people complaining about the younger generation, I'm sure when you were young the older generation thought your slang was ridiculous too.

- ixcuincle
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Why is this just now coming to everyone's attention? 'Celly' has been used for a while now.

Anyways, who cares? It's just a word. I'm sure when people started using 'top cheddar', it was the same reaction.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The English language is not in good hands with the younger generations, that's all I have to say.
You clearly have no knowledge of the history of the English language. It has been evolving with each generation, including your own. Your parents probably thought the same thing about your generation when you were a kid.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
They should tackle the problem with the number of people who never learned that it's should/could have or 've - not of - first and foremost. Then they can move on to the lazy slang being invented by the younger generations. "Shorten it up, and add a 'y' on the end there... surely that's a hip new approach." lol.
Don't get me started.

As you guys have been discussing, language IS constantly evolving, and change isn't a good or bad thing, but simply a reality.

English has the largest vocabulary of any language in the world, and words are constantly being added and subtracted, usually the former.

That being said, grammer takes centuries to change and is the true basis of understanding and communication. It's only when young adults don't seem to understand some of the more basic laws of their own native tongue that I show concern.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
LOL at people who care what words other people use. Who gives a crap. Is this really something that gets people upset?
Actually, it's quie relevant.

Language stems very much from usage. If "celly" starts getting used concurrently by a large amount of people, then lexicologists start to look at its roots, its usage and if it is has high incidences then it makes its way into dictionaries, whether slang or standardized official dictionaries.

There's enough lazy english out there to feed an entire university, there's really no need to dumb things down any further. It's quite arresting at work to see people come in unable to form proper sentences without adding an "Ummm" or "Ahhhh" and unable to write coherent sentences. It's not much better on local sports radio, guys like Jason York, AJ Jakubec, Shawn Simpson and Dave Gross should not be anywhere near a microphone.

I won't be using "celly" anytime soon and neither will my circle. Maybe 20-30 people can't make a large impact but maybe we can at least keep standard english alive and well for a generation more.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post

Language stems very much from usage. If "celly" starts getting used concurrently by a large amount of people, then lexicologists start to look at its roots, its usage and if it is has high incidences then it makes its way into dictionaries, whether slang or standardized official dictionaries.

There's enough lazy english out there to feed an entire university, there's really no need to dumb things down any further. It's quite arresting at work to see people come in unable to form proper sentences without adding an "Ummm" or "Ahhhh" and unable to write coherent sentences. It's not much better on local sports radio, guys like Jason York, AJ Jakubec, Shawn Simpson and Dave Gross should not be anywhere near a microphone.

I won't be using "celly" anytime soon and neither will my circle. Maybe 20-30 people can't make a large impact but maybe we can at least keep standard english alive and well for a generation more.
You're tryng too hard. Your "circle"? You guys sounds like a lot of fun. lol

Old
01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:

It's is a contraction of "it is". There's is a contraction of "there is". Can't is a contraction of "Can not". Those are all lazy, if you consider 'celly' to be lazy for celebration.

In other instances: gym: gymnasium, exam: examination, gas: gasoline, detox: detoxify etc.

Yet, probably everyone has used those lazy words at some point in their lives. Language is an evolving thing. To call 'Celly' as lazy and criticize it is pretty silly, IMO.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:52 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

My buddy says the word "celly" is for females trapped in a boys body.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:01 AM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
My buddy says the word "celly" is for females trapped in a boys body.
What? Why? haha

Old
01-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Dylbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
It's is a contraction of "it is". There's is a contraction of "there is". Can't is a contraction of "Can not". Those are all lazy, if you consider 'celly' to be lazy for celebration.

In other instances: gym: gymnasium, exam: examination, gas: gasoline, detox: detoxify etc.

Yet, probably everyone has used those lazy words at some point in their lives. Language is an evolving thing. To call 'Celly' as lazy and criticize it is pretty silly, IMO.
Good post.

I just find it confusing. lol There are a lot of little words like that that I hate, not because they're 'lazy', but because it sounds like people are trying to sound cool.

Last edited by Dylbot: 01-26-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
You clearly have no knowledge of the history of the English language. It has been evolving with each generation, including your own. Your parents probably thought the same thing about your generation when you were a kid.
Clearly.

In fact, my parents are children of the post-war baby boom. They're both teachers, incidentally, who have seen the changes from when they went to school (when many of their peers went on to comfortable lives without the benefit or basic "requirement" of a high school diploma, for example), literacy rates increase through my generation, at least, and the decline of the past decade(s) (I've seen reports of literacy rates and trends in Canada falling below "world standards" as recently as 2008).

But like I said before, I have less issue with "lazy" usage and the varying opinions on what constitutes an "evolution" of the English language than I do with the lack of language fundamentals and competency using the rules that do exist.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Lebanese Leaf

I hate it.

Celly makes me think of Celebration, or someone named Celina, or a cell phone. Not celebration. It's just so irritating when people use it as such.

Lebanese Leaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapperface View Post
After Yakupov scored, noticed a lot of discussion over the term "celly," for celebration. Lots of people had never heard it, but it's very common amongst youth hockey culture, like Gino for goal and Apple for assist. Dreger even used it today.

Love or hate? Is this even worth debating? Does it piss you off for some reason? Poll!
Isn't it Geno for goal?

Kshahdoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Love it.

It's been used for awhile (3 years or so) at least in my circles where I play hockey (talking pick up men's league usually 23-55 is the age group)... sure the older guys don't use it or say it, but it's a term I have heard for a bit, nothing new.

Celly is here to stay imo.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Garbage Goal

Poll speaks for itself. Almost as bad as Kane's haircut.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:41 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Just like apple, a word that players use.

I was a player.

Use it if you like, don't if you don't want to.

Indifferent.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:47 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:

Language is not, nor has it ever been, a static entity.

Go back 30 years. Tell the people you need to text a friend on your iPhone or else he will miss the web conference and get fired from his dot-com.

Does that mean this sentence is not "standard English"?

If you were truly speaking in your perception of standard English, there would be a ye and some henceforths in your writing.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiems35 View Post
On average, the number is declining with each generation. And music these days DOES suck.
I'm guessing there's a study to back this up?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote