HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

New Lines at Practice Today 1/26

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 09:50 AM
  #1
threeVo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 922
vCash: 500
New Lines at Practice Today 1/26

Foligno-Hodgson-Pominville
Ott-Grigorenko-Stafford
Hecht-Ennis-Kaleta
Scott-Ellis-Gerbe/McCormick

Vanek is sore from last game got the day off. I would assume Foligno moves to the 3rd line with Ennis should he be back for the game tomorrow and slide Kaleta down

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:54 AM
  #2
Dreakon
Registered User
 
Dreakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mighty Taco
Country: United States
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Definitely need to spice up the second and third line. Obviously don't touch VHP if they're healthy.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:59 AM
  #3
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by threeVo View Post
Foligno-Hodgson-Pominville
Ott-Grigorenko-Stafford
Hecht-Ennis-Kaleta
Scott-Ellis-Gerbe/McCormick

Vanek is sore from last game got the day off. I would assume Foligno moves to the 3rd line with Ennis should he be back for the game tomorrow and slide Kaleta down
So with a healthy Vanek:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Ott - Grigorenko - Stafford
Hecht - Ennis - Foligno
Kaleta - Ellis - Gerbe

My hate for Ruff has mildly subsided.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:59 AM
  #4
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Interesting, I'd like to see for a game

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Ennis - Grigorenko - Stafford
Hecht - Ott - Foligno
Gerbe - Ellis - Kaleta

I like Hecht better on the wing and Ott should be taking the faceoffs, and would like to see a game with Ennis on the wing but there's no way they give up yet on Ennis being a center with our current situation.

Grigs has been okay on faceoffs in his limited amount taken, and we know Ott is the best FO man on the team, so not sure I like them together with our current struggles in the circle.


Last edited by Fire Lindy: 01-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
  #5
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,376
vCash: 500
I like that second line. Maybe a playmaker like Grigs can get Stafford going. I thought Ennis was better overall last night, but he looks off.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
  #6
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,360
vCash: 500
Ennis isn't a true center IMO. He isn't able to generate his offense as well, I think (correct me if I'm wrong please. It just seems that way to me.) when he was on the wing. I'd try Ott at centers as he's a quick and big bodied guy. We need to mix up the FES line.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:02 AM
  #7
TheyAreGoodScaryGood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
I like, but hopefully vanek isn't playing injured again or we may see his level of play slip

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:05 AM
  #8
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Ennis isn't a true center IMO. He isn't able to generate his offense as well, I think (correct me if I'm wrong please. It just seems that way to me.) when he was on the wing. I'd try Ott at centers as he's a quick and big bodied guy. We need to mix up the FES line.
Eh, they were over a PPG for a decent amount of games last year with Ennis at center.

That's a small sample size, but still bigger than the four game sample size you'd be using to discredit that. I'm willing to give him about 20 games or so to at least show up. Something has to be done about his face-off taking though, he's dreadful.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:13 AM
  #9
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
So with a healthy Vanek:

Vanek - Hodgson - Pominville
Ott - Grigorenko - Stafford
Hecht - Ennis - Foligno
Kaleta - Ellis - Gerbe

My hate for Ruff has mildly subsided.
It think the 3rd line may be Foligno/Ennis/Kaleta and Hecht to the 4th line.

Or Foligno may be heading to the 4th line.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:17 AM
  #10
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Eh, they were over a PPG for a decent amount of games last year with Ennis at center.

That's a small sample size, but still bigger than the four game sample size you'd be using to discredit that. I'm willing to give him about 20 games or so to at least show up. Something has to be done about his face-off taking though, he's dreadful.
In a shortened season I'd say 10-15... I mean, I like Ennis, and think he's great. I just hate seeing him lose what seems to be every face off.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:24 AM
  #11
TheyAreGoodScaryGood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Does it not make sense to play ott with ennis and have ott take the draws? I like ennis as a center outside of the draws

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
  #12
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Does it not make sense to play ott with ennis and have ott take the draws? I like ennis as a center outside of the draws
You could replace Ennis with almost any of our centers and that statement would still make sense.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
  #13
TheyAreGoodScaryGood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You could replace Ennis with almost any of our centers and that statement would still make sense.
Yes but ennis seems the worst , grigs is okay, hodgson has been pretty bad and ennis has been really bad

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:07 AM
  #14
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Yes but ennis seems the worst , grigs is okay, hodgson has been pretty bad and ennis has been really bad
Hodgson has also gone up against the guy with the best FO in Bozak, and the Staals virtually every faceoff. He will be fine against middle of the pack guys.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
  #15
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Hodgson has also gone up against the guy with the best FO in Bozak, and the Staals virtually every faceoff. He will be fine against middle of the pack guys.
I agree and a good sign was his improvement from the first game -vs- the Canes (22% on faceoffs) to last nights game (48%).

There is a learning curve to this and I think Hodgson will eventually even off around 50%

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
  #16
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Yes but ennis seems the worst , grigs is okay, hodgson has been pretty bad and ennis has been really bad
I agree Ennis is the worst but I'm not looking to put lines together based on just that.


Ultimately Regier needs to acquire a bottom 6 defensive center thats a faceoff specialist.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:23 AM
  #17
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I agree Ennis is the worst but I'm not looking to put lines together based on just that.


Ultimately Regier needs to acquire a bottom 6 defensive center thats a faceoff specialist.
Jochen Hecht


HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:38 AM
  #18
dugman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
How many times was Ennis thrown out of the face off circle last night? I suspect they have been working on tactics to gain an edge, and the linesmen weren't buying it (I admit I've never figured out exactly why they are tossed most of the time).
Alos, I wonder whether Hodgson's broken thumb is limiting him on faceoffs.

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:40 AM
  #19
Jame
Dream '16
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,422
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
as long as he doesn't break up vanek-hodgson-pommer for any reason... i dont care if the other 3 lines go scoreless for a month... that's those line problem... make changes, trade people, whatever... do not break up the one true 1st line we've had in 5 years

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:54 AM
  #20
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I agree and a good sign was his improvement from the first game -vs- the Canes (22% on faceoffs) to last nights game (48%).

There is a learning curve to this and I think Hodgson will eventually even off around 50%
a lot of that is taking the faceoffs at home vs being away

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
  #21
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
a lot of that is taking the faceoffs at home vs being away
Thats certainly played a role

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:00 PM
  #22
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,360
vCash: 500
Cody will get better on them as he learns how to against different types of face off guys as well as the home v. away factor.

The team as a whole though needs to repair the terrible-ness on them altogether though.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:00 PM
  #23
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,612
vCash: 50
I still give FES another couple games. Too early to break them up. Allow them to work through it. They were our best line in the 2nd period last night. They'll get it going soon enough. Give Grigorenko a periodic shift with Ennis-Stafford.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:04 PM
  #24
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,612
vCash: 50
Non-VHP shooting numbers: 2/82 (2.43%)

That won't continue over a significant sample size. Believe in the math!

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:10 PM
  #25
BrooklynBuffaloFan
Registered User
 
BrooklynBuffaloFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Non-VHP shooting numbers: 2/82 (2.43%)

That won't continue over a significant sample size. Believe in the math!
Yes, for example, Drew Stafford has about the same career shooting percentage as Pominville. He's got a comparable amount of shots this year (12 to JP's 15), but one player has 3 goals and the other has 0.

I've been impressed with Stafford this year, I hope puck luck starts leaning his way soon so he doesn't get discouraged and sulk around.

BrooklynBuffaloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.