HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - MK VIII - 'Week-end of Angst' Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 09:44 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
You guys are so funny.

Sure 5M$ is low but PK has to learn that he isn't bigger than the team. He has some attitude issues to solve and he needs to mature if he wants to reach the next level. He is already a great defenseman but he tends to make some mistakes. Don't get me wrong, the potential is definitely there but he needs to stop acting like he was the second coming of Orr.

You want to be a superstar PK? We want it too.
Prove it and you will get the contract you deserve.

I wouldn't go higher than 2.75M$ per. I might be an idiot like Bergevin is right now... Come on guys!
How does wanting a fair contract insinuate that he thinks he is bigger than the team? Who the hell sits down to any contract negotiation and says "I want to be paid considerably less than I am worth." Who looks at comparable individuals in their field and indicate "it's okay, I'll take less than them. After all I wouldn't want to be above my team like those *******s.".

Old
01-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
You guys are so funny.

Sure 5M$ is low but PK has to learn that he isn't bigger than the team. He has some attitude issues to solve and he needs to mature if he wants to reach the next level. He is already a great defenseman but he tends to make some mistakes. Don't get me wrong, the potential is definitely there but he needs to stop acting like he was the second coming of Orr.

I wouldn't go higher than 2.75M$ per. I might be an idiot like Bergevin is right now... Come on guys!
What the heck is wrong givin him the long term he wants?

Tell me what is wrong with 6yrs

3.0 yr1
3.9 yr2
4.5 yr3
4.5 yr4
5.5 yr5
5.5 yr6

The contract becomes a deal....Screw a bridge deal

Old
coolasprICE

come on everyone, if you have a twitter account, what does it hurt to do this:

@GMolsonCHC #SIGNSUBBAN

Already catching on a bit... let's get this trending across Canada !

Old
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I didn't even know that I would hate a GM more than I hated Gauthier and Gainey but if Bergevin is really offering this AND if he trades him? He's on my list.
For now I am trusting the process and that all parties are united in wanting PK to play in Montreal going forward.

However if a trade demand goes into play that's a genie you just can't put back into the bottle.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:46 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
People need to stop talking like having an attitude means you cannot win.

He obviously can't win. He's an exuberant individual. How dare he be HAPPY? He must be miserable like the rest of us if he's a true respectful hockey player.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So he either has no confidence in Subban and thinks he's a #4 d-man, or he doesn't want to spend the money. So why in hell would he trade for a young d-man who is making more money than this? And if he has no confidence in Subban, well I hope that, in addition with all the other examples we had, it stops people from repeating that "professionnals knows best"....

At this point, I hope another team gives him an offersheet. That's how we'll really know what Bergevin thinks of him.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
How does wanting a fair contract insinuate that he thinks he is bigger than the team? Who the hell sits down to any contract negotiation and says "I want to be paid considerably less than I am worth." Who looks at comparable individuals in their field and indicate "it's okay, I'll take less than them. After all I wouldn't want to be above my team like those *******s.".
A poignant passage on the subject:

"Subban thinks he's bigger than the team."

This one comes from the people who believe this has anything to do with the team. It doesn't. This negotiation is between the business that is the Montreal Canadiens, and P.K. Subban. This is the business part of hockey. At no point has Subban said anything in his entire career that would insinuate that he believes he's bigger than the team. Brian Gionta said at the outset of training camp that players understood the business of the game and would work through whatever the situation was. He also mentioned that people who don't get that don't belong in the NHL. There's a separation between what goes on in Bergevin's office and what happens in the dressing room. Anyone who repeats the above phrase is full of a special kind of ********.

from: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...-of-p-k-subban

Old
01-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
come on everyone, if you have a twitter account, what does it hurt to do this:

@GMolsonCHC #SIGNSUBBAN

Already catching on a bit... let's get this trending across Canada !
Also state you want a long term for pk now...

Old
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I would ****ing hope so. What a terrible deal that would be for Montreal. Insane. haha.
LOL, what an insalt that would have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I didn't even know that I would hate a GM more than I hated Gauthier and Gainey but if Bergevin is really offering this AND if he trades him? He's on my list.
It's all speculation from the media....I dought they leaked the $$ amount info. Also, let's say he is indeed offereing 5 over 2, perhaps it's to get the Subban camp of the long term. All I will saw is that if not signed this coming week, I smell a trade that no one will like and no matter who the GM is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Who's going to be desperate enough to give fair value?

I don't see the Blues saying "HAI GUYS U WANT PIETRANGELO 4 SUBBAN? LULZ"
I say that it's fair in value but the Blues are not good partners since they have a pretty solid team. No point in lateral moves.

Old
JustAHabFan

Quote:
You guys are so funny.

Why some of our fans keep bringing up the issue that PK is bigger than the team. This is a contract negotiation. Does PK have to play for peanut so that he is in good grace with the team? I do not how old are these fans but they seem to stuck in the 50-60 hockey era.

Old
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

If there's an offer sheet, MB can:
1- Match it and Keep Subban
2- Take the picks
3- Match it and Trade Subban once delay/restrictions in new CBA respected

If MB's really offering 2.5M/year, I expect Subban to sit or sign an offer sheet. So MB should:
1- Raise his offer to something reasonable. or...
2- Trade Subban (because Habs are in a better position than following an offer sheet).

Old
01-26-2013, 09:50 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I understand but name me one proposal that made sense?
The best proposal would be an overpayment for Subban. Thus, I cannot come up with something logical.

But... let me think.

The Caps suck at the moment, right?

Two first rounders + Roman Hamrlik (salary dump that would be a regular on defense) + Whatever they may have on farm, that is young and is a legit NHL prospect.

Knowing that their 1st rounder might be QUITE high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I would ****ing hope so. What a terrible deal that would be for Montreal. Insane. haha.
It's still much better than Ben Eager.

Last edited by MXD: 01-26-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 09:51 AM
HABsurde

That's it, i'm giving up on the PK issue, some of you guys are completely hysterical, i wouldn't put you in charge of changing the roll of toilet paper.... see you when this is resolve....

Old
01-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:

It's all speculation from the media....I dought they leaked the $$ amount info. Also, let's say he is indeed offereing 5 over 2, perhaps it's to get the Subban camp of the long term. All I will saw is that if not signed this coming week, I smell a trade that no one will like and no matter who the GM is.

I say that it's fair in value but the Blues are not good partners since they have a pretty solid team. No point in lateral moves.
If I was Subban and am getting chirped in every tweet I make about not signing I'd want it leaked so the fans could see how he's being ridiculously low balled and insulted.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Can't people stop with "bigger than the team" ****ing crap? How's Price and Pacioretty salaries? Are they bigger than the team? Is Gorges 3,9 M$ make him bigger than the team? STOP IT! Subban great performances will make THE TEAM win!!!!!!

Old
01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Rutabaga

I try to avoid to speak about things that are happening behind the scenes, since we dont really know whats exactly going on, but i feel that i need to say that :

-A bridge deal doesnt make a lot of sense for a team like ours in this situation.
We cant be very competitive during the years when Subban's contract will be under his actual value. If we simply sign him long-term, at something around 4.5M$ per year, we are probably already under-paying him, and thats for more than 2 years, including seasons where we could have a decent shot to get past 2 rounds in PO.

And i dont see why they are treating him like that. Subban have almost nothing left to prove. He was a above average #1D for us last year. Even in a difficult year, he was playing at a very high level, especially on the penalty kill.
(Which is quite contradictory with the narrative : Subban is a great puck-moving defenseman with holes in his defensive game)

Pacioretty was coming off a serious injury, Price was still a question mark considering the difficult year he had behind Halak.
And both these contracts were signed by the previous management.

Is this a matter of organizational philosophy ?
Well, i havent looked very deeply, but i doubt there is a lot of teams that were willing to do such a thing in the recent past with their young core players.
In fact, i doubt there is one.
Is that innovation ? Well, innovation that doesnt make a lot of sense from an economic point of view, in such a environment, is really hard to consider as innovation as much as poor management.

Unfortunately, considering how low is the salary offered according to several journalists, it seems that there is a massive underestimation about Subban's talent. And if you trade him, since you underestimate him, you'll be ripped off.

Anyway, there is just too much idiots around. The "Subban feels bigger than the team" and the "attitude problems" tirades, like Dr Gonzo's article said, are at least showing who doesnt have any clue.

Old
No Team Needed

I don't think a trade is going to be on the table.

I think Bergevin is willing to pretty much lock Subban out of playing for as long as he can until Subban signs the contract he wants him to sign.

Meehan keeps repeating that a trade isn't on the table and Montreal wants to keep Subban but wants him at the bridge contract. That tells me that the only person who is going to force hand is Subban. That's a publicity tactic by Bergevin. He's making it clear that he wants Subban, but it has to be Subban that doesn't want Montreal.

You feel a lot of shame seeing this. Worse that you know it probably won't happen to Galchenyuk or Gallagher three years from now.

Old
WeThreeKings

Quote:

It's fair value but they wouldn't do it. That's the point. Any one looking to make a play for Subban is only going to give up futures. Futures you can only hope will amount to a sniff of what Subban is now and will be in the future.

We'd be making a backward move. All in the sake of protecting an organizational philosophy that is outright flawed. I'm sure all pending free agents that think about re-signing in Montreal are saying to themselves "I wonder how hard I will be jerked around?". We have an elite young defenseman wanting to sign long term with our team but we don't want to do that, or give him a reasonable amount of dollars, because it goes against this philosophy we are trying to build?

Old
01-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
If I was Subban and am getting chirped in every tweet I make about not signing I'd want it leaked so the fans could see how he's being ridiculously low balled and insulted.
Well it seems there already is enough information out there to make you assume that he's being lowballed and insulted.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:54 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
If there's an offer sheet, MB can:
1- Match it and Keep Subban
2- Take the picks
3- Match it and Trade Subban once delay/restrictions in new CBA respected

If MB's really offering 2.5M/year, I expect Subban to sit or sign an offer sheet. So MB should:
1- Raise his offer to something reasonable. or...
2- Trade Subban (because Habs are in a better position than following an offer sheet).
That's assuming there is an offer sheet on the table.

I doubt there is one.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

I can't say I like it if Habs are far apart from Meehan/PK given that we've taken on overpay contracts like Kaberle's. I hope the new management realizes that a happy and productive PK is a huge asset for our team. For the Love of Beliveau get this done before it becomes even more divisive.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
#Habs @PKSubban1 wants what he believes he's worth, preferably BUT NOT NECESSARILY tied to long-term contract

Old
01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
when he signed the contract he was the #1 goaltender and he knew it.

Price was the undisputed #1 goaltender at the time he signed a 2 year bridge.

All I am saying is that the rumoured offer to Subban is in line with that, so the words "disgusting" and "joke" don't apply.

I am not saying he will or should sign, but he's rumoured to have been offered a competitive contract.
It's "disgusting" because the Habs already benefited from 2 years of Subban playing #1, but paying him 5-6.

They reward him by making him the 4th best payed defenseman, and he will still play #1 minutes.

Old
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Well it seems there already is enough information out there to make you assume that he's being lowballed and insulted.
Before today there weren't really any hard numbers just wild guesses. Now (if this is true) we know for sure MB is being an idiot and is destined to lose our most exciting player.

Why would PK want to play for a team that shows him ZERO respect?

Old
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I can't say I like it if Habs are nickel-and-diming PK given that we've taken on overpay contracts like Kaberle's. I hope the new management realizes that a happy and productive PK is a huge asset for our team. For the Love of Beliveau get this done before it becomes even more divisive.
I hope you realize that just because we have those bad contracts does not mean we have to sign everyone else the same way,

Closed Thread