HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - MK VIII - 'Week-end of Angst' Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 09:59 AM
No Team Needed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We'd be making a backward move. All in the sake of protecting an organizational philosophy that is outright flawed. I'm sure all pending free agents that think about re-signing in Montreal are saying to themselves "I wonder how hard I will be jerked around?". We have an elite young defenseman wanting to sign long term with our team but we don't want to do that, or give him a reasonable amount of dollars, because it goes against this philosophy we are trying to build?
Actually, if Brandon Prust is any indication, Montreal is a great place to play if you're a bottom six forward with grit. You'll make Tie Domi money in that case. But if you grew up in the organization? Come on now, gotta reign in those RFAs!

Of course, Galchenyuk will probably make $6.5M to $7M per season on a long term deal when he has to re-sign in the summer of 2015 because clearly he'll be too valuable to the organization to possibly give a bridge contract!

Old
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
#Habs @PKSubban1 wants what he believes he's worth, preferably BUT NOT NECESSARILY tied to long-term contract
What a dick. Get rid of him ASAP it's clear he is a selfish individual who is above this hockey team. I'd take a conditional 7th round pick at this point. Conditional on the fact that he doesn't punch any more babies.

Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I can't say I like it if Habs are far apart from Meehan/PK given that we've taken on overpay contracts like Kaberle's. I hope the new management realizes that a happy and productive PK is a huge asset for our team. For the Love of Beliveau get this done before it becomes even more divisive.
Bergevin has turned the easiest decision of his career into a huge circus.

Old
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
come on everyone, if you have a twitter account, what does it hurt to do this:

@GMolsonCHC #SIGNSUBBAN

Already catching on a bit... let's get this trending across Canada !
You do understand that a low cap hit for Subban is a good thing for this team going forward?

Useless pressure on Bergevin is useless.

Old
hogtownhabsfan

Kind of awful all these posters who think pk has to know his place and blahblahblah

Old
EveryDay
Habs Prospect

Quote:
#Habs @PKSubban1 wants what he believes he's worth, preferably BUT NOT NECESSARILY tied to long-term contract
Give PK 1 year contract at 3.75 and sign him long term this summer!!!

Old
01-26-2013, 10:00 AM
otto bond

Quote:
It's fair value but they wouldn't do it. That's the point. Any one looking to make a play for Subban is only going to give up futures. Futures you can only hope will amount to a sniff of what Subban is now and will be in the future.

We'd be making a backward move. All in the sake of protecting an organizational philosophy that is outright flawed. I'm sure all pending free agents that think about re-signing in Montreal are saying to themselves "I wonder how hard I will be jerked around?". We have an elite young defenseman wanting to sign long term with our team but we don't want to do that, or give him a reasonable amount of dollars, because it goes against this philosophy we are trying to build?
Not sure if I agree here. PK is a special negotiation IMO. SUre we don't like what has come of it yet but this is a special player with red tape attached to it.
I sure hope we sign him.

Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Before today there weren't really any hard numbers just wild guesses. Now (if this is true) we know for sure MB is being an idiot and is destined to lose our most exciting player.

Why would PK want to play for a team that shows him ZERO respect?
Hopefully he realizes that, if he wants to, he can outlast Bergevin quite easily.

Old
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Kind of awful all these posters who think pk has to know his place and blahblahblah
I'm thinking the Ignore List is going to balloon today. Nothing to gain discussing hockey with anyone who can't see that this isn't about Subban's attitude but the organization low balling him beyond comprehension.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Great,so Pk is willing to giv in on a long term deal....which habs are stupid not to give him.

In two years time,will do this again expect the convo will be how can we fit pk in at 7.5 million a year....habs are making a big mistake not givin him long term he woud like now...just so dumb

Old
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
I hope you realize that just because we have those bad contracts does not mean we have to sign everyone else the same way,
Of course and it was previous management who brought in the overpay contracts. What's done is done but right now we ought to put our priorities in order, coughing up the extra cash to get PK signed ASAP would be a good investment for the team.

Old
No Team Needed

Quote:
What a dick. Get rid of him ASAP it's clear he is a selfish individual who is above this hockey team. I'd take a conditional 7th round pick at this point. Conditional on the fact that he doesn't punch any more babies.
He hits too hard in practice. Who does he think he is?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:02 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Not sure if I agree here. PK is a special negotiation IMO. SUre we don't like what has come of it yet but this is a special player with red tape attached to it.
I sure hope we sign him.
He is a special player. Which is why you don't jerk him around. How many years have we witnessed where the top free agents don't want to come here? Used us as leverage to get bigger contracts elsewhere? Now we have a homegrown star who we are trying to make "prove his worth". He wants to play here.

Old
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So he either has no confidence in Subban and thinks he's a #4 d-man, or he doesn't want to spend the money. So why in hell would he trade for a young d-man who is making more money than this? And if he has no confidence in Subban, well I hope that, in addition with all the other examples we had, it stops people from repeating that "professionnals knows best"....

At this point, I hope another team gives him an offersheet. That's how we'll really know what Bergevin thinks of him.
From what I heard (and I would consider my source pretty decent), Bergevin hates Subban. This is personal.

Old
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
He hits too hard in practice. Who does he think he is?
Did you see the clip where he competed in practice? This team has no room on it for people who COMPETE.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:03 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
the black man usually has to. If we don't show them, how will they ever learn?

Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
You do understand that a low cap hit for Subban is a good thing for this team going forward?

Useless pressure on Bergevin is useless.
A low cap hit is good... on a long term deal.

A short term deal is bad and stupid no matter what. Whatever we will save right now won't put us in a position to win the cup in the next 2 years. And when Subban is up for renewal in 2 years he will cost significantly more than he would have.

Old
FinnHab

******* off that greedy Mr Center of the Universe. Trade him and move on, he aint Bobby Orr.

Old

Quote:
does anyone really believe that if the Habs didn't offer a bit more than what they're currently offering on a 2 year deal, that Subban wouldn't take it?

2yrs 5.1M? You really gonna risk alienating one of the cornerstone's of your franchise cause you don't want to add 1.5 to 2M on top of that offer?

Seems a bit ridiculous to take such an unflexible stance over 2M

Again...MB's gamble might pay off, he might end up getting Subban at the deal he wants, and Subban may end up realizing that he needs to apply himself to not only being a better player but perhaps a better teamate as well

If that happens...MB's gamble will cost him a whole lot of $$ 2 years from now

Old
01-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Wow. You really don't understand how negotiation works do you?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:05 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Did you see the clip where he competed in practice? This team has no room on it for people who COMPETE.
He needs to show more respect to players like Sidney Crosby who punches guys in the nether regions or a guy like Joe Thornton who assaulted a police officer. Maybe he should look up to Chris Pronger, who demands trades because his new wife doesn't like cold winters or Mario Lemieux, who demanded more money than the Pittsburgh Penguins could afford in the 1990s so they had to instead give him a stake in the team. So many role models in the NHL.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
It's "disgusting" because the Habs already benefited from 2 years of Subban playing #1, but paying him 5-6.

They reward him by making him the 4th best payed defenseman, and he will still play #1 minutes.
That is an assumption. You don't know that.

He played #1 minutes last year because they didn't have a choice. And he led the team in minutes yes, but led them to last place in the conference. You have to look at it from a team perspective. If he was playing for the Kings, or for any playoff team for that matter do you think he would have been a #1 D?

The problem is pretty clear. People think PK has nothing left to prove and that he's elite. He isn't, yet. He's young, and still has a lot to learn and prove, not just on the defensive side of things either.

Having said that, I would say he has the most raw talent among the defensemen the Habs have. He is an above average skater, puck handler, works his ass off, is physical and I love the enthusiasm and excitement he brings.

But to suggest that he's proven that he's put that all together into being an established #1 D in this league already is premature.

I'm confident they'll find common ground and sign.

Old
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

If all this is true, I think it's fairly obvious that we're low balling PK. Don't blame him for being insulted with that offer, especially considering the contracts being handed out to other young and somewhat comparable d-men.

Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab View Post
******* off that greedy Mr Center of the Universe. Trade him and move on, he aint Bobby Orr.
You keep repeating the same thing, but frankly your accusations are baseless and nothing more than empty rhetoric.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:07 AM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It's almost as if MB didn't realize that the Montreal media would obsess on the PK standoff. Guy should have known and did what needed to be done to avoid it getting to this point.

Closed Thread