HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Saad - Where's the fit?

Old
01-25-2013, 05:30 PM
cherrypik

vCash: 500
Prior to the beginning of the season, I though he was over hyped until I seen him in person against the Blues. One can argue that he was one of the top players on the ice that game.

I'm not sure if the Hawks burn a year off his contract for a shorten season. Maybe, they bring up Morin for 4-5 games then Jayes until Carbomb comes back. I'm sure they'll bring him back for the playoffs.

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 05:35 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I'm 99% sure Saad's contract has already started. He's not an underage player playing Pro (NHL/AHL), like Pirri and Morin were a couple years ago.

I'm so glad Saad's playing well without scoring points. I knew he could do what he's doing, but I'm glad it's actually happening. If he got off to a poor start in Chicago, it was going to be awful having to hear about how he was over-hyped, this and that.. He's shown he can contribute without scoring with his positioning, backchecking and nose for turnovers. The scoring will come, especially with Toews and Hossa.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:24 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I'm 99% sure Saad's contract has already started. He's not an underage player playing Pro (NHL/AHL), like Pirri and Morin were a couple years ago.

I'm so glad Saad's playing well without scoring points. I knew he could do what he's doing, but I'm glad it's actually happening. If he got off to a poor start in Chicago, it was going to be awful having to hear about how he was over-hyped, this and that.. He's shown he can contribute without scoring with his positioning, backchecking and nose for turnovers. The scoring will come, especially with Toews and Hossa.
Don't worry. Wait til next year when he doesn't put up 70 points and you'll hear how he should be sent back to the AHL to cook longer.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Oh_so_saad

i hope saad stays in the exact role he is in. looks sharp and as stated before the scoring will come

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'm really excited to see how well he's been doing. He has his rookie moments, but he also has moments where he looks like a vet on that Toews line.

I'm nervous that if he doesn't start putting up points soon, Q is going to take him off that line and send him to the bottom 6... IMO, he's a better option in our top 6 than Stalberg (as far as defense goes)

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Blackhawks

If Saad plays more than ten games in the NHL this season his entry level wont slide and he will only have two more years left after that. If he is sent to the AHL for the year Entry level contract will slide a year and he will have 3 years after that.

Personally I think he should spend the year in the A, he is doing fine but he is not ready just yet, I believe it would be best for his development and for the team long term having him 3 more years after this. I dont get the hurry with pushing him into the lineup this year, he wasnt lighting up the AHL by any means, I say send him down and bring up Morin or Smith when healthy.

Blackhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:15 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks View Post
If Saad plays more than ten games in the NHL this season his entry level wont slide and he will only have two more years left after that. If he is sent to the AHL for the year Entry level contract will slide a year and he will have 3 years after that.

Personally I think he should spend the year in the A, he is doing fine but he is not ready just yet, I believe it would be best for his development and for the team long term having him 3 more years after this. I dont get the hurry with pushing him into the lineup this year, he wasnt lighting up the AHL by any means, I say send him down and bring up Morin or Smith when healthy.
If it us to Q alone to make that call, I very much doubt he sends Saad down. Stan and management may have a different view. but in the end I think Q's decision will stick. However, I do hope Smith especially gets another look this season. Guys like Morin and Jayes will likely only get the call as replacements in the case of injuries.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:37 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks View Post

I thought they changed it b/c of the shortened season and you burn a year once you've played 6 games.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:07 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I thought they changed it b/c of the shortened season and you burn a year once you've played 6 games.
They did change it to 6, but does it apply to Saad? Not sure.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:51 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
They did change it to 6, but does it apply to Saad? Not sure.
I think it applies to everyone on an ELC.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:33 PM
topnotch

As I'm reading from capgeek: http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-...ract-slide.php

Saad was 18 on Sept 15th 2011 therefore he can have his contract slide a max of 2 years. So if Saad does play fewer than 6 games his contract will slide this year.

topnotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:56 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Hopefully longterm as Hawks #1 LW

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Don't worry. Wait til next year when he doesn't put up 70 points and you'll hear how he should be sent back to the AHL to cook longer.
wait til next year? I give him 10 more games to finally score otherwise we will hear he plays on a line with Toews and Hossa, can't score
what a bust

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:30 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

According to CapGeek's Brandon Saad player page, his contract slid last year but has started this year: http://www.capgeek.com/player/2125

I believe that rule applies more to underage Pro players (Junior-eligible), as I said in another thread. Because Saad turned 20 in 2012 - the year he turned Pro - he's not considered an underage Pro and thus his contract doesn't/shouldn't slide. Could be wrong, but I think that's it.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:13 AM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
wait til next year? I give him 10 more games to finally score otherwise we will hear he plays on a line with Toews and Hossa, can't score
what a bust
Rookie players need time to develop. I admit to overreacting a bit on Kruger but I think Saad has much higher potential.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:31 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
According to CapGeek's Brandon Saad player page, his contract slid last year but has started this year: http://www.capgeek.com/player/2125

I believe that rule applies more to underage Pro players (Junior-eligible), as I said in another thread. Because Saad turned 20 in 2012 - the year he turned Pro - he's not considered an underage Pro and thus his contract doesn't/shouldn't slide. Could be wrong, but I think that's it.
I think it shows like that b/c he's currently playing on the Hawks - if you go the pages for Grigorenko and Scheifele it shows their contracts as having "started" (i.e. doesn't indicate a slide for this year) - but they can still be sent back to junior. Although, when you go to the pages of Zibanejad and JT Miller (two players who are in the AHL and haven't played enough games to burn years) it doesn't indicate their contracts have slid...but with that said, if the player is AHL-eligible you wouldn't know if the contract slid or not until the end of the year.

i find it all a bit confusing.

i guess the best comparable would be to think of someone who has a late b-day like saad - so only played 1 more yr in jr after being drafted - and then played a full year the year after than in the ahl - and see what cap geek indicates. i can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 01-27-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 05:15 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Rookie players need time to develop. I admit to overreacting a bit on Kruger but I think Saad has much higher potential.
yes, that's true. That's why I don't expect much out of them and be happy with them as long as they improve, show effort and play as good as they can. Adding points is more than I expect out of them

Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Tokked13

I have to admit I was a little disappointed with him in Rockford this year but he has improved every game since he has been in the line up. The best part about his game is his habits. Always goes to the front of the net, willing to lower his shoulder and use his body to drive to the net. The points are going to start coming from this kid once the confidence fully kicks in.

Tokked13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:28 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Saad's looked very dangerous the past two OT's against Detroit and Minny. Had an excellent shift tonight and had a mini-break against Detroit before Leddy scored. The kid's just playing well. Once he gets a point, makes a play that leads to a goal or scores I think we'll see a snowball effect. Some PP time would be nice too, especially since Shaw's struggled alot to start the year (Yeah, I know he scored tonight.. still).

Old
01-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I doubt we see a snowballs effect. He will score every now and then, but right now he is impressiv because of the expectations. Just wait 10 more games without scoring more than 1-3 points and you will hear more negativs about him here.

He plays with effort and heart, keeps it simple and learns how to play as a pro. Nothing wrong with it learning this against NHL talent.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:06 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

^Bubba, even when you're not talking about Kruger, you're talking about him.

Saad has exceeded expectations in every facet of his game save for points. It's obvious that he will score a resonable amount by the end of the season.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

that's what happens when a rookie comes to the NHL. They will play it safe and keep it simple, show that they are willing and in the end, he will end up with around 15 points this year in the shortened season.
Same goes for Shaw and Krüger last year and will happen in 1 or 2 years with Teräväinen

Old
01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
BobbyJet

In my mind, the key is for Q to keep the communication open with Saad and keep a gauge on his confidence. As long as he remains comfortable and the team is winning, Q will likely leave Saad where he is. Perhaps when Carcillo returns he may reassess all the lines. Q has shown remarkable patience so far when it comes to his lines. Winning will do that, I suppose.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I like Saad a lot for his hard working play and energy. In time, the goals will come. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was a key player for us down the stretch and into the playoffs.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

it's Q just wait for a game in which we are behind by 2 goals in the 1st or lose in regulation and Q will change the lines