HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars defensive woes

View Poll Results: What do you think should be done with the Stars D?
Do nothing at all 2 5.00%
Switch up the pairings and minutes 11 27.50%
Ditch Robidas and callup Oleksiak 18 45.00%
Make a big move via trade 9 22.50%
None of the above 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-25-2013, 07:33 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

vCash: 500
Any big trade for a good Dman will most likely require Oleksiak or Nemeth, which probably isn't worth it. I went with throw out Robidas and call up Oleksiak.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:45 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I think some of you guys are underrating how much impact a #1 D who can play 20+ a night can have up and down the lineup. I'd give up any prospect in our pool for Subban. As Piqued said, we'd be lucky if Oleksiak ever becomes as good as Subban.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:47 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
I think some of you guys are underrating how much impact a #1 D who can play 20+ a night can have up and down the lineup. I'd give up any prospect in our pool for Subban. As Piqued said, we'd be lucky if Oleksiak ever becomes as good as Subban.
I think people are overrating the positives of Subban and forgetting the negatives, especially the steve ott/sean avery aspects of his personality.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Where does that stigma even come from? I've never seen anything indicating it was true. All I see is a very passionate, on-the-edge player on the ice, never seen any examples of bad off-ice conduct.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:11 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
sean avery is not even in the conversation as a comparable. steve ott, yes. but i would argue that the positives of steve ott outweigh the negatives (misplaced on-ice antics). dallas traded ott to have overhaul the core a bit while still getting some good value in return. pk subban brings that ott element but to another level.

and apparently, as of now, mtl management and subban are still far apart.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:23 AM
Brand New Stars

If I were Joe I'd float out Ritchie and Nemeth or Goligoski and see if anything can materialize from that. Subban would be great for this team. Imagine a top 4 consisting of Subban, Larsen, Oleksiak, and Daley if you could swing a deal without Oleksiak.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:37 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Yeah I wouldn't mind dipping into the prospect pool to piece together a deal for an actual top-pairing d-man. Ours are imposters.

01-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Well the pairs and the time on ice need to change for starters. Rome should come into the lineup so we can see what we've got, Benn takes a seat. Start building the pairs from the bottom up.

Bottom pair: Rome-Robidas. Play the least at ES, do not play on the PP.
2nd pair: Dillon-Goligoski. Give Goligoski a bigger, defense-first partner who can deal with people physically.
Top pair: Daley-Larsen. If anyone is going to be able to play minutes and survive it's these guys. Put your best two players together and give them the lion's share of the responsibility. It still may not work out, but at least you're giving yourself a fighting chance.

Try to move Robidas any way possible. The return is immaterial. If successful, Benn returns to the lineup and can play with Rome. If this doesn't happen until later in the season then you consider bringing in Oleksiak.
I'm not sure about bringing in Oleksiak unless it's just for a few games at the tail-end of the season to give him a look at the NHL level. I do, however agree with everything else in this post.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Satan
work away, work away

I think there's a 0% chance Oleksiak plays more than 5 games with the Stars this season.

For an "immediate" fix Gully has to change up the D pairings and maybe the team addresses D via trade but I'm doubtful. It might be a tough season on Kari and Nilstorp

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:27 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
I think there's a 0% chance Oleksiak plays more than 5 games with the Stars this season.

For an "immediate" fix Gully has to change up the D pairings and maybe the team addresses D via trade but I'm doubtful. It might be a tough season on Kari and Nilstorp
They are one injury away from Oleksiak being in the NHL. I'd actually argue there's a 0% chance he doesn't play at least 5 games as an injury replacement. I agrew the chance of him being a full time NHLer isn't nearly as certain.

A tough season is fine. They have a very good Top 6 and elite goaltending. This is still a transition year though and throwing away assets for temporary fixes is a mistake. If you can land a potential core piece like Subban, that is woonderful. I just doubt Dallas has the fire power to be the top bid. This situation isn't in a bubble where only DAL and MTL are negotiating.

They need to make the playoffs. I do believe this will be important. That said, I still feel that Top 6 and Kari can sneak in. They need to make the D work with the assets they already hold.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Satan
work away, work away

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
They are one injury away from Oleksiak being in the NHL. I'd actually argue there's a 0% chance he doesn't play at least 5 games as an injury replacement. I agrew the chance of him being a full time NHLer isn't nearly as certain.

A tough season is fine. They have a very good Top 6 and elite goaltending. This is still a transition year though and throwing away assets for temporary fixes is a mistake. If you can land a potential core piece like Subban, that is woonderful. I just doubt Dallas has the fire power to be the top bid. This situation isn't in a bubble where only DAL and MTL are negotiating.

They need to make the playoffs. I do believe this will be important. That said, I still feel that Top 6 and Kari can sneak in. They need to make the D work with the assets they already hold.
Agreed- but when people are talking about this season, Oleksiak isn't the fix to our immediate defensive problems. Sure, next season our D improves with him, but for this season we might have to deal with what we currently have.

I also think that with our goaltending and top 6 we have a chance at sneaking in the Playoffs.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
I also think that with our goaltending and top 6 we have a chance at sneaking in the Playoffs.
If they split up Goligoski and Robidas and never have Robi or Morrow out on the PP, that might be a possibility.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

I'd love to get Subban. I'd also love to see Oleksiak spend some time with the big club, I think this would actually be a good season to do it.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:07 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I think people are overrating the positives of Subban and forgetting the negatives, especially the steve ott/sean avery aspects of his personality.
I agree. As talented as he is, if we're going to trade off major assets in the system and then pay a guy 5-6 mill per, it had better be for someone a little more proven in all areas. He can skate and he can shoot which is great, but he needs improvement in all other areas before Im backing the truck up. And just the fact that he already wants to be treated like hes Drew Doughty or Shea Weber is a red flag.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Am I the only one that sees this shortened season as a dry run for next year? I have no expectations as to finishing in the playoffs. The defense has to be one of the 5 worst in the league if for no other reason than how they're currently being used. The goaltending is great and the top six forwards are fine but Morrow-Fiddler-Nystrom is still a black hole in terms of offense and a net negative on defense. The power play hasn't improved despite better personnel and because of the defense the pk won't be more than average at best.

I know everyone wants to make the playoffs I'm just not sure that's realistic at this stage.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Dreger says on Twitter MTL hasn't offered more than two years at 2.1 and 2.9 mil per season. No wonder he's not close to signing. If you offer sheet him it's a little over 5 mil and give up a first and third. Uh..why not go for it? We have multiple thirds I believe and were talking yesterday about offering Goose, a good prospect, and up to a first.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
I agree. As talented as he is, if we're going to trade off major assets in the system and then pay a guy 5-6 mill per, it had better be for someone a little more proven in all areas. He can skate and he can shoot which is great, but he needs improvement in all other areas before Im backing the truck up. And just the fact that he already wants to be treated like hes Drew Doughty or Shea Weber is a red flag.
A guy that's "a little more proven" isn't going to be available to acquire in the first place. And honestly Subban will probably be a better value than Doughty.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:17 AM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Dreger says on Twitter MTL hasn't offered more than two years at 2.1 and 2.9 mil per season. No wonder he's not close to signing. If you offer sheet him it's a little over 5 mil and give up a first and third. Uh..why not go for it? We have multiple thirds I believe and were talking yesterday about offering Goose, a good prospect, and up to a first.
MTL would match that. Then our RFA's would become fair game and we are likely due to have quite a few in the coming years. Not worth it.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:30 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I doubt if Subban is anywhere near that pesky. With due respect to both Ott and Avery, when they were on their game, they were very effective players. It's just that the former let himself get agitated at times (big no-no if you're an agitator) and taking stupid penalties, and the latter forgot he was a hockey player and decided to focus his efforts elsewhere. The most glaringly obvious thing in this equation is that neither player possessed the skills and talents that transcended their roles as pests. At the end of the day, Subban will always have more hockey skills, smarts, and talent than either Ott or Avery, and that's worth a lot to any team he plays for.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
A guy that's "a little more proven" isn't going to be available to acquire in the first place. And honestly Subban will probably be a better value than Doughty.
Agreed.

To those saying that Oleksiak can't be a fix this season... Have you seen him play?

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote