HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings Version II

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 10:42 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
its never a bad thing having depth at center.....

Old
01-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Nothing, Both Grabo and Kadri are here to stay. I think they can be our legit 2nd line C going forward. Kind of like the Avs, they have Statsny and O'Rielly as their 2nd line C.

If anyone of three is expendable around, it's definitely Bozak because McClement can take over his spot and embrace the 3rd line C role quite nicely.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Connolly to PHX please?

Old
01-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Do you guys think Subban will get traded?
yea i think so.

01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Subban to Philly for both Schenns lol?

Old
01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Now that I think about Philly makes sense, and as much as I'd hate to see it. Sean Couturier in the red and blue.

God damn that'd make me upset.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsforlife98 View Post
The Leafs do have a lot of pieces going forward are in need of only 3 real pieces to be a complete team. YES, a couple of pieces are BIG and are hard to get, but it is a process. It may take a couple of years to accomplish those goals. Since most of our team is young, then taking a couple of years is fine.

Going Forward into next year

Joffery Lupul-Hole #1-Phil Kessel
James van Reimsdyk-Nazem Kadri-Matt Frattin
Nikolai Kulemin-Hole #2-Leo Komarov
Mike Brown-Jay McClement-Colton Orr

Morgan Rielly-Dion Phaneuf
Jake Gardiner-Carl Gunnarsson
Jonh Micheal Liles-Korbinian Holzer

Hole #3-James Reimer

That leaves as the chips to fill these 3 holes going forward.

Mikhail Grabovski- I don't think he fits on this team. He is good defensivly, but not big enough to be superior shutdown #3 center that Carlyle needs. I also think that Nazem Kadri is gonna need to get minutes and it will be as the 2nd line center that gets sheltered minutes and powerplay time. That leaves Grabovski with no real spot in the line-up since he can't play with Kessel.

Tyler Bozak- Pretty much the exact same thing as Grabovski. Has a spot on the team as long as the Leafs have no #1 center but once they do, he is gone.

Clarke Macarther- Is a decent player but I am not sold on him being on the team longterm. Can gain an asset at the trade deadline. Don't know why he got an "A" though, if I am almost sure they are gonna trade him.

Cody Franson- Doesn't get any respect. Will flourish somewhere elseafter he gets traded and we will all regret it. Can get another asset once teams in the race start losing defenceman.

Carter Ashton- I have never been sold on him and was really upset when we lost Keith Aulie for him. I am guessing he will be an add on to another player as part of a package for someone else.

Joe Colborne
- Similar to Ashton, I don't know if he has it to make it to the bigs. He could be a #3 shutdown center if he was more physical, cuz he is big and skates alright. I hope he does make it but he will probably be a throw-in in a package for someone else.

I also think that at least 1 piece can be picked up in this draft, whether it is a #1 center or a shutdown #3 center. That would leave 2 pieces to get going forward.

Free agency could also net us a piece.

These 2 players that could change the whole team if they were traded. The assets they also would bring back, would set us up nicely for the future.

Phil Kessel- Game changing player and don't want to see him go. Unless Carlyle thinks he isn't a fit, should stay with the team and see what he can do once Nonis gets him a #1 center and take away some of the pressure on him. I think though, he could be in play around the deadline if the Leafs are bottoming out and he is giving Nonis reasons to think he won't re-sign.

Dion Phaneuf- Another player I don't want to see go, but he would also bring in a nice package, especially this year when defenceman are dropping like flies. Trading Dion would change the culture of the team and the team would be relying on a lot of young defenceman, we would also lose a 6.5 cap hit which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
I agree with most of what you wrote. The problem is that the only player on your list of availables that would garner a decent return is Grabo.

I`d simplifyy it even more and say we`ve got a nice core to build around in (in particular order) of Lupul, Kessel, JVR and Kadri at forward. On D we`ve got Phaneuf, Gardiner and Rielly.

Toronto needs to start clearing out the mid-range skilled players who have a cap hit at the very high end of what they bring to the table (or will have a cap hit at the very top end soon).

Trading Grabo this season at the deadline will be in the best long-term interest of the team. Grabo gets payed at the very top of what a player of his skillset brings. The cap is going down which means a lot of players should be available this off-season via trade for lower then the regular asking price and the free agency group looks good. Trade Grabo for say a 1st and even if we loss out on Getzlaf if we sign a guy like Weiss or Roy we`re still further ahead.

CMac also needs to be traded. Bozak also needs to be traded if he wants to be paid like a 1st-2nd liner. He is doing a good impression but he is Dominic Moore 2.0 and if he expects 3 mill or more then we need to trade him for whatever we can get.

Gunnarson and Kulemin are the best non-core assets we have that would bring back a significant return (aside from Grabo).

Kulemin is a UFA after next year. He is one of my favourite Leafs but we do have some nice depth at wing. No way we can afford to loss players to UFA status. Their is also the question if we retained him, how much would it be for and how much could we afford to further lock up at the wing position with Kessel, Lupul and JVR all having high salaries.

Gunnarson has really progressed in the last few seasons but teams overpay every single year at the deadline for D (witness Kaberle and Beauchemin deals). Gunnar will be looking for a significant raise probably somewhere in the 2.5 to 3.5 million range after this season. One position the Leafs have a lot of depth at moving forward is at left D with Gardiner, Rielly and Liles all natural lefties. Phaneuf shots left but has typically played the right side. Ranger if he ever decides to join us is a lefty and I`m confident could step right in and fill Gunnars spot. Finn is also a lefty.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:13 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Do you guys think Subban will get traded?
Subban or Suburban as my autocorrect likes to call him will stay in Monteal where he will get steam rolled by Brown for years to come.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:16 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Now that I think about Philly makes sense, and as much as I'd hate to see it. Sean Couturier in the red and blue.

Do the Habs need a defenseman in return?

Voynov, Toffoli, Gagne
for
Rights to Subban.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
01-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

Voynov, Toffoli, Gagne
for
Rights to Subban.
Gagne is done IMO.

Habs wouldn't do that.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:23 AM
van Hockey

vCash: 50
Tim Connolly for Mike Smith

How about, Connolly at $3.5M for a third? Lombardi is already injured, lol.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:25 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:

That would make sense for MTL.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:25 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Gagne is done IMO.

Habs wouldn't do that.
He's just a money balancing for the next 44 games. He's a throw away.

Voynov and Toffoli are the assets.

I should add I really like Voynov.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

Voynov, Toffoli, Gagne
for
Rights to Subban.
Well that's an interesting proposition but I don't know if the Habs would like it, and the Kings would offer that just for his rights.
Quote:
That would make sense for MTL.
Indeed, another team IMO would be the Avalanche.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:36 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well that's an interesting proposition but I don't know if the Habs would like it, and the Kings would offer that just for his rights.

Indeed, another team IMO would be the Avalanche.
All Montreal own right now are his rights.

I was thinking another team would be the Oilers.

Subban and Schultz as their anchors.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

I think an ROR for Subban deal would have both teams listening.

Maybe RoR + top 10 protected 1st for Subban + Bourque
Avs get a replacement for Downie who's out for the season.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
All Montreal own right now are his rights.

I was thinking another team would be the Oilers.

Subban and Schultz as their anchors.
I can see the habs wanting to move him to the west as Philly did with Richards but will oilers part with good pieces for Subban? I question Tambellini's trading skills tbh. The players IMO that have fallen out of favour for the Oilers would be Gagner and possibly MPS as Yakupov has taken a significant role in the second line.

Columbus would be another plays where the Habs can hunt if we are talking about the west, player such as Derrick Brassard who has that Anglo-French connection being from Gatineau.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I think an ROR for Subban deal would have both teams listening.

Maybe RoR + top 10 protected 1st for Subban + Bourque
Avs get a replacement for Downie who's out for the season.
From what I know...they won't part with Bourque just yet.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Avs can't afford to trade ROR before Stastny is signed longterm.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
its never a bad thing having depth at center.....
What depth? I count four capable centers. Steckel no t included as he struggles. Bozak playing minutes he shouldn't. Kadri a rookie that might be better suited for the wing because he isn't stellar defensively (no knock on the kid -- I like him) but goalie and center are the weakest positions for this team.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:59 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
What depth? I count four capable centers. Steckel no t included as he struggles. Bozak playing minutes he shouldn't. Kadri a rookie that might be better suited for the wing because he isn't stellar defensively (no knock on the kid -- I like him) but goalie and center are the weakest positions for this team.
wtf are you talking about....

kadri is playing his best hockey as a centerman..

bozak
grabo
kadri
mcclement
steckel

is called having depth... may not be the best depth in the world...

Old
01-26-2013, 01:00 PM
LEAFSIN4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I agree with most of what you wrote. The problem is that the only player on your list of availables that would garner a decent return is Grabo.

I`d simplifyy it even more and say we`ve got a nice core to build around in (in particular order) of Lupul, Kessel, JVR and Kadri at forward. On D we`ve got Phaneuf, Gardiner and Rielly.

Toronto needs to start clearing out the mid-range skilled players who have a cap hit at the very high end of what they bring to the table (or will have a cap hit at the very top end soon).

Trading Grabo this season at the deadline will be in the best long-term interest of the team. Grabo gets payed at the very top of what a player of his skillset brings. The cap is going down which means a lot of players should be available this off-season via trade for lower then the regular asking price and the free agency group looks good. Trade Grabo for say a 1st and even if we loss out on Getzlaf if we sign a guy like Weiss or Roy we`re still further ahead.

CMac also needs to be traded. Bozak also needs to be traded if he wants to be paid like a 1st-2nd liner. He is doing a good impression but he is Dominic Moore 2.0 and if he expects 3 mill or more then we need to trade him for whatever we can get.

Gunnarson and Kulemin are the best non-core assets we have that would bring back a significant return (aside from Grabo).

Kulemin is a UFA after next year. He is one of my favourite Leafs but we do have some nice depth at wing. No way we can afford to loss players to UFA status. Their is also the question if we retained him, how much would it be for and how much could we afford to further lock up at the wing position with Kessel, Lupul and JVR all having high salaries.

Gunnarson has really progressed in the last few seasons but teams overpay every single year at the deadline for D (witness Kaberle and Beauchemin deals). Gunnar will be looking for a significant raise probably somewhere in the 2.5 to 3.5 million range after this season. One position the Leafs have a lot of depth at moving forward is at left D with Gardiner, Rielly and Liles all natural lefties. Phaneuf shots left but has typically played the right side. Ranger if he ever decides to join us is a lefty and I`m confident could step right in and fill Gunnars spot. Finn is also a lefty.
Every fan should read this. The Lupul signing is going to force us to trade some players, but with our depth it is not necessarily a bad thing.

I think a package of Kulemin, Gunnarson, and a prospect (Finn?) could be a great package for an impact forward/Dman.

If Anaheim decides to shop Perry or Getz at the deadline, I would offer Kule+Gunnar to get Perry early (if he signs an extension, of course).

CMac for a 1st
Franson for a 2nd
Trade Liles for a 2nd
Amnesty Komisarek
Sign Scuderi or Ference
Trade our 1st, Mac 1st, Franson 2nd, + Colborne to move up in the draft and get Seth Jones

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Perry
Frattin - Bozak - Komarov
Ross - McClement - Brown

Ashton, Biggs, McKegg, D'Amigo,

Jones - Reilly
Phaneuf - Gardiner
Scuderi/Ference - Holzer

Finn, Percy, Blacker, Mikus

We'll have a solid top 6 offensive core, amazing top 4 defensive core, with prospects to fill in the bottom roles. I would spend the rest of the draft only drafting Centers and a goalie.

This is all fun and speculation, and is along the lines of what this team can do in the coming months. Although, a lot of is riding on Reimer becoming a successful goalie.

Last edited by LEAFSIN4: 01-26-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Interactif

If anything has come out of this very early season, there are some Leafs that have made themselves very valuable chips for Nonis, if he decides to pull the trigger at the trade deadline. This can only be a positive for the franchise.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:09 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post
Every fan should read this. The Lupul signing is going to force us to trade some players, but with our depth it is not necessarily a bad thing.

I think a package of Kulemin, Gunnarson, and a prospect (Finn?) could be a great package for an impact forward/Dman.

If Anaheim decides to shop Perry or Getz at the deadline, I would offer Kule+Gunnar to get Perry early (if he signs an extension, of course).
You might have an idea there.

Frattin, Kadri, Komarov
for
Getzlaf and Holland

Old
01-26-2013, 01:26 PM
LEAFSIN4

Quote:
You might have an idea there.

Frattin, Kadri, Komarov
for
Getzlaf and Holland
I edited my post with a bunch of other moves I'd suggest doing.

I would probably bite on this trade if it came down to it, but I'd rather trade Phaneuf before trading Kadri (just a big Kadri fan).

Keeping in mind all my moves from my last post, except trading Liles, I'd do this to try and pry both players from Anaheim

Kulemin, Gunnarson, Phaneuf, Grabo to a third team

for

Getz
Perry

JVR - Getz - Perry
Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
Frattin - Bozak - Komarov
Ross - McClement - Brown

Jones - Reilly
Liles - Gardiner
Scuderi/Ference - Holzer

Easily a contender, with a lack of experience on D as our number one problem. Again, all rides on Reimer.

Closed Thread