HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
01-19-2013, 01:12 AM
Beleafer4

vCash: 500
Reilly definitely wasnt ready this season and he might need a few more until I am comfortable with him playing the regular shift on our team. He needs to start being physical in his back end and that will take some time to develop.

He also needs to get his shot power and top speed up.

But otherwise, I think he will be an elite talent offensively. The way he can regularily cause chaos and break apart the opposing team's structure in the offensive zone is awesome and is a trait only a few players have.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mind View Post
Watch out for a Luke break out year!
in giveaways.

I joke, I honestly do love the kid. But you just cant win in Toronto. Everything you do will be labeled a bust by uneducated fans/jealous rival fans of the game.

Rielly just needs his confidence back. When he realizes he can be the go to guy even on an NHL team, then you will see the actual skillset that he displays in Moose jaw.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Madic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post

He [Rielly] also needs to get his shot power and top speed up.
Hahaha what? With all the areas a young D-man can improve, you chose quite possibly his best asset?!

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:26 AM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Hahaha what? With all the areas a young D-man can improve, you chose quite possibly his best asset?!
Why not? Stamkos said in an interview a while back, "you work 20% on your weaknesses to make them adequate and 80% on your strengths to make them exceptional"

I hope that was what the poster was implying rather than implying that Rielly's speed was in fact a weakness.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:41 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Played pretty well last night.

Had an amazing assist as he sent a bullet stretch pass from his own faceoff dot to the far blueline, right on the tape, springing Fioretti on a breakaway on which he scored.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Reilly definitely wasnt ready this season and he might need a few more until I am comfortable with him playing the regular shift on our team. He needs to start being physical in his back end and that will take some time to develop.

But otherwise, I think he will be an elite talent offensively. The way he can regularily cause chaos and break apart the opposing team's structure in the offensive zone is awesome and is a trait only a few players have.
Rielly has NHL speed right now, his issues are physical maturity and experience.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Beleafer4

He has elite acceleration and agility but in terms of top end speed hes just fast. I.e tyler bozak speed but not phil kessel. At least thats what I saw in the subway series and the WJC's.

edit: i never said it wasnt nhl calibre but if I was management I would always ask for more if it wasnt already elite.

Last edited by Beleafer4: 01-19-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:13 PM
leafsfuture

^^
I agree with that. His top end speed isnt as fast as people think.

Mind you I have always held that I would take agility and acceleration over raw speed and there is no doubt hes got that Jake Gardiner like mobility

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:31 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Played pretty well last night.

Had an amazing assist as he sent a bullet stretch pass from his own faceoff dot to the far blueline, right on the tape, springing Fioretti on a breakaway on which he scored.
I love his passes, so hard and accurate, really good vision too. He would already be a very good passer at the NHL level, and he'd be a very good puck handler too, so shifty. I'm happy with the decision to send him down, though, because he does have plenty to work on. His shot is mediocre, if anything will hold him back offensively I think that'll be it, if he could develop a high end shot it would make him so much more dangerous. He also obviously needs to work on his physicality and defensive game.

I'm confident he'll make the team within the next 1-2 seasons, he's not far off, and would probably have been serviceable this year.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:39 PM
JackJ

Quote:

Regarding his speed, only aspect missing from his skating is flames shooting from his skates.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:59 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Regarding his speed, only aspect missing from his skating is flames shooting from his skates.
Agreed. That's the last thing that he NEEDS to improve. Defensive coverage is the number 1 thing he needs to work on. He's improved since the start of the season and will only continue to improve.

smitty10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
will13

Watched him play tonight and he looked unreal. Picked up 2 assists but aside from that he was outstanding. Loving this pick more and more each time I watch him play.

will13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
He reminds me a LOT of Duncan Keith.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:56 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
He reminds me a LOT of Duncan Keith.
Noticed that when I watched Chicago the other day. They look very similar out there.

snizzbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I love his passes, so hard and accurate, really good vision too. He would already be a very good passer at the NHL level, and he'd be a very good puck handler too, so shifty. I'm happy with the decision to send him down, though, because he does have plenty to work on. His shot is mediocre, if anything will hold him back offensively I think that'll be it, if he could develop a high end shot it would make him so much more dangerous. He also obviously needs to work on his physicality and defensive game.

I'm confident he'll make the team within the next 1-2 seasons, he's not far off, and would probably have been serviceable this year.
I really want his defensive game to come up, I know his shot can if he works on it but I just want the defensive completeness of a prospect. I preach that way too much I know but it's needed.

01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by will13 View Post
Watched him play tonight and he looked unreal. Picked up 2 assists but aside from that he was outstanding. Loving this pick more and more each time I watch him play.
He looked fantastic indeed. Warriors coach used him in all situations...Think he played about 30-35 minutes tonight, seems like he was out there all the time.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 11:23 PM
will13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
He looked fantastic indeed. Warriors coach used him in all situations...Think he played about 30-35 minutes tonight, seems like he was out there all the time.
Yeah he logged big minutes tonight. Sending him back to moosejaw was a very smart move by the leafs management. Being used in every situation will really help him round out his already fantastic game.

will13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:15 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by will13 View Post
Yeah he logged big minutes tonight. Sending him back to moosejaw was a very smart move by the leafs management. Being used in every situation will really help him round out his already fantastic game.
Good to hear and I hope they do so and move forward.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:23 AM
MAK19

He reminds me of JM Liles

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:07 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Surprised he doesn't remind you of Lebda

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
At least if u said better version Liles, then it would be somewhat fine but this proves u have never watched him play. First off, he is a much better skater then Liles, Rielly could literally fly, he is so damn explosive out there. Secondly, Rielly has a much better hockey IQ, nearly everytime he steps on the ice, u can see how smart he is, he makes some high-end plays without getting caught and he makes a lot of brilliant plays out of nothing. And lastly, Rielly is much bigger than Liles, Rielly is 6"0, I believe with a good amount of body weight at 200 pounds. Liles couldn't even hold Rielly's jock-strap at the same age.

This is no slight towards Liles as he is a very good d-man(top 4) but Rielly is few steps above him. His offensive game is top notch, he is playing in all situations for the Moose Jaw, and he is got an incredible Hockey IQ.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
At least if u said better version Liles, then it would be somewhat fine but this proves u have never watched him play. First off, he is a much better skater then Liles, Rielly could literally fly, he is so damn explosive out there. Secondly, Rielly has a much better hockey IQ, nearly everytime he steps on the ice, u can see how smart he is, he makes some high-end plays without getting caught and he makes a lot of brilliant plays out of nothing. And lastly, Rielly is much bigger than Liles, Rielly is 6"0, I believe with a good amount of body weight at 200 pounds. Liles couldn't even hold Rielly's jock-strap at the same age.

This is no slight towards Liles as he is a very good d-man(top 4) but Rielly is few steps above him. His offensive game is top notch, he is playing in all situations for the Moose Jaw, and he is got an incredible Hockey IQ.
Huh?

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Huh?
I guess I should have been more clear on that part.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Dylbot

Quote:
Rielly could literally fly.
Quote:
Huh?
hahaha. Nice.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Wow slow down there. Liles has had three 45+ point seasons. That's damn impressive. If Rielly can put up those kind of point totals, albeit a little more consistently, I'll be ecstatic.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote