HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Discussions Thread II - All ‎

Old
01-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Parkdale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz McNulty View Post
Could Vancouver waive him if they got desperate?
It could come to that if there are no trade partners. They would still be stuck with the contract if no one picks him up though.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
trellaine201

The longer this goes the more impatient Luongo gets IMO. Gillis is clearly waiting for Luongo to give him more teams to potentially trade to IMO.

BTW Gillis is a dick.

trellaine201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
The longer this goes the more impatient Luongo gets IMO. Gillis is clearly waiting for Luongo to give him more teams to potentially trade to IMO.

BTW Gillis is a dick.
Luongo comes across as a pretty sharp guy. He has a $6.7M paycheque coming to him for the next 7 years guaranteed. He has a NTC, so Gillis is not sending him anywhere that he does not want to go. At almost 34 years of age, he knows his best years are behind him. He is well positioned to just sit back and wait for a better situation to open up for him....which most observers are suggesting is Florida. I can see Gillis tightening his collar, but Luongo is on easy street. Vancouver is not such a bad place for the wife and family to spend a few months in the winter....

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:00 AM
tape to tape

Luongo

I may be in the minority but I still think the Leafs record would be better, like 7 and 1, with Luongo in the lineup.

Last edited by tape to tape: 02-03-2013 at 10:06 AM.
tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:02 AM
RogerRoeper*

Why would anyone want Luongo with how Reimer has played? He has 9 years left after this one on his contract. Move on.

Thank god we didn't trade Kadri for him.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:02 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I agree with you

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by tape to tape View Post
I may be in the minority but I still think the Leafs record would be better, like 7 and 1, with Luongo in the lineup.
It wouldn't be 8-0 with Luongo having a 0.00GAA and a 1.000 S%?

I am beyond thankful that we haven't traded for him and hopefully won't trade for him.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:28 AM
RogerRoeper*

If you subtract Kadri and add Luongo we're not much better at all.

BTW-Reimer has a .922 save % right now...

Old
02-03-2013, 10:29 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
You FAIL to consider what we would be giving up.

How many goals would we score without Kadri? He has scored and made some nice plays.

I think we would be lower in the standings if we make the trade. We would stop the puck a LITTLE more(Reimer is still at the top), but we would be scoring less, AND HAVE NO FUTURE.

Trading for Luongo would set us back for YEARS.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:32 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
You FAIL to consider what we would be giving up.

How many goals would we score without Kadri? He has scored and made some nice plays.

I think we would be lower in the standings if we make the trade. We would stop the puck a LITTLE more(Reimer is still at the top), but we would be scoring less, AND HAVE NO FUTURE.

Trading for Luongo would set us back for YEARS.
Bingo. We'd give up a 22 year-old, 7th overall pick just as he's starting to show his potential and help the team and add a 34 year-old goalie with 9 years left on his contract. Meanwhile, our 24 year-old goalie is playing very good and has a .922 save %...

It would be a classic Leaf blunder to have made that trade.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:33 AM
namttebih

Quote:
Which game specifically would they have won with him in net? Maybe the Islanders game?

Before that game they had 1,2 and 2 goals against. After that it was the Rangers and Patric Roy in his primes couldn't have won that game for us. Then it was 3,2 and 1 goals against respectively.

Maybe we would be 5-3...maybe. Luongo has had a bad night in the past though so one of those low scoring games may have gone bad too.

You were being sarcastic with 7-1 right?

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:34 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Reimer's looked very good. I'm impressed with him and don't see why we should go with somebody else.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
tape to tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
Reimer's looked very good. I'm impressed with him and don't see why we should go with somebody else.
I'm not saying Reimer's playing bad, he's playing to his potential, but that still hasn't translated to a winning record.

tape to tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Billy6

Quote:
Continue to live in denial. The Leafs are a playoff team when they have top level goaltending. But maybe you don't remember back that far son.
You think that the Leafs would be 7 and 1 with Luongo in the net and I'm the one that's in denial?

How many games has Reimer cost us? I'd say none. Scrivens cost us the Islanders game, but that's it.

And I do remember back that far dad. I'm probably older than you are.

Billy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
DPyro

Quote:
I'm not saying Reimer's playing bad, he's playing to his potential, but that still hasn't translated to a winning record.
So trading for a goalie who would perform not much better, and eliminating more of our offense gets us a playoff spot? Not to mention the cap hit this would cost and the awful length of contract...

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
So trading for a goalie who would perform not much better, and eliminating more of our offense gets us a playoff spot? Not to mention the cap hit this would cost and the awful length of contract...
Why is this a factor in how the team performs on the ice?

Old
02-03-2013, 10:49 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Luongo played fantastic in Florida and they never saw a single playoff game.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:51 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Call me crazy but I want a goalie with potential who can grow with the team and peak around the same time when the rest of the team peaks. Hmmm, I think we already is in that situation.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Pi

7-1 huh?

And who is scoring the points? Because you have to take out whatever Bozak has contributed so far... and whatever Kadri has contributed so far.

So 4-4 seems more like it.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:53 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Call me crazy but I want a goalie with potential who can grow with the team and peak around the same time when the rest of the team peaks. Hmmm, I think we already is in that situation.
That's the thing, Reimer is the perfect age for this team.

I'd be fine with Lu if we were a contender just missing a #1 goalie. This is so far from the case right now.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Luongo played fantastic in Florida and they never saw a single playoff game.
People forget that way too often around here.

Canuck fans (very delusional BTW) think that there is a simple equation:

Give up Kadri ++ and get Luongo and make the playoffs.

I can only recall one game this season where the Leafs could have won with Luongo in net (maybe even Reimer might have sufficed) and that was the Islander game.

So goaltending hasn't been a problem for the Leafs...the problem has been inconsistent offense/defense. When the offense shows up and puts up goals, the D blows the lead away. When the D and goalie play good, the offense is on another planet (like last night).

Old
02-03-2013, 10:58 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
People forget that way too often around here.

Canuck fans (very delusional BTW) think that there is a simple equation:

Give up Kadri ++ and get Luongo and make the playoffs.

I can only recall one game this season where the Leafs could have won with Luongo in net (maybe even Reimer might have sufficed) and that was the Islander game.

So goaltending hasn't been a problem for the Leafs...the problem has been inconsistent offense/defense. When the offense shows up and puts up goals, the D blows the lead away. When the D and goalie play good, the offense is on another planet (like last night).
The Rangers game was an ugly one for our goalies too. One of those games where the goalies let in softy after softy and it drains the team of energy

Anyway, its impossible to gauge how the team would have done with a guy they can depend on in net. Lets not even begin to argue how much the Leafs can depend on Reimer. After all, he wasn't even starter on opening night.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:00 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Yeah and it's called development.

It's ironic that nobody has the patience to give Riemer a chance; and yet constantly complain about lost dreams of superstars Seguin/Hamilton and how badly we need to trade everyone for 1st round picks.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
The Rangers game was an ugly one for our goalies too. One of those games where the goalies let in softy after softy and it drains the team of energy

Anyway, its impossible to gauge how the team would have done with a guy they can depend on in net. Lets not even begin to argue how much the Leafs can depend on Reimer. After all, he wasn't even starter on opening night.
Seriously? The Rangers game was played terrible by the D and forwards. We were lucky to be up 2-0 after the first.

Reimer kept us in all the way till about 10 minutes to go till the 3rd period.

Stopped 2 on 1's, stopped a Nash breakaway. Finally in the 3rd period they got a lot of presence in front of the net, Gaborik tipped a goal in front of Reimer, etc.

I really like Reimer this year.

---
We were outshot 42-17. It was a 2-2 tie till about 8 minutes to go in the 3rd.

Also interesting is that Reimer had a better SV in a loss where he gave up 4 goals and Hank only gave up 2 goals.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:22 AM
RogerRoeper*

I hate how our young players are given up on so soon. How many times did I point out to people here to not judge him solely on how he played after the Gionta hit. People wanted to give up on him based on 28 or so games.

Reimer has put up great numbers in every league in his career except when he got that hit from Gionta.