HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL (Kontinental Hockey League) 2012-2013 General Discussion part III

Old
01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
seeep

vCash: 500
Torpedo is the biggest dissapoint of this season for me
funny but Atlant is back in business without their leaders

seeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Dravecky signs with Blues

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:11 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
poor guy, maybe most hated player of Slovan by Slovan´s fans.

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Remember the score from the final game?
The final Stanley Cup game was untypical because of the 5-minute penalty against the Devils, when everything collapsed for them.

Quote:
They also had a relentless forecheck, the likes of which I haven't seen in ages, if ever.
Absolutely. That's the biggest difference between the way Slovan and the Kings play, among many similarities. Also, we need to remember the Kings switched coaches mid-season. Čada is closer to Terry Murray than Daryl Sutter. It was Murray who taught the Kings how to defend, to the point where they forgot how to attack. I believe the aggressive forechecks were more Sutter's contribution.

Quote:
Plus they had good puckmoving defensemen that in addition to being paired perfectly (veteran-youngster) were also able to pass out from the oppositions forecheck with ease.
Doughty's role was perfectly filled in Slovan by Višňovský. Now with Višňovský gone, we have no one like that left. Otherwise, Slovan has a good mix of defencemen age-wise, with the rising star Štajnoch among them (currently injured).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
What Blues, the St. Louis Blues? Is this a joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
poor guy, maybe most hated player of Slovan by Slovan´s fans.
Nonsense. Dravecký wasn't "hated" at all, not even disliked, I'd say. Čada didn't give him too many opportunities to shine in Slovan. Of course, Dravecký was immensely unpopular with Slovan fans last season when he played for Slovan's biggest rival, Košice, but that's in the past. I hope Košice will join the KHL next season, with Dravecký among their leaders.

(Btw, Dravecký is a former LA Kings try-out, just like the forward Juraj Mikúš. Not to mention Višňovský, Pálffy, etc. -- quite a few connections between Slovan and the Kings personnel-wise, too. I believe that Slovan legend Nedomanský used to work as the Kings' European agent.)

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
What Blues, the St. Louis Blues? Is this a joke?
Espoo Blues in the SM-Liiga.

Quote:
Nonsense. Dravecký wasn't "hated" at all, not even disliked, I'd say. Čada didn't give him too many opportunities to shine in Slovan. Of course, Dravecký was immensely unpopular with Slovan fans last season when he played for Slovan's biggest rival, Košice, but that's in the past. I hope Košice will join the KHL next season, with Dravecký among their leaders.

(Btw, Dravecký is a former LA Kings try-out, just like the forward Juraj Mikúš. Not to mention Višňovský, Pálffy, etc. -- quite a few connections between Slovan and the Kings personnel-wise, too. I believe that Slovan legend Nedomanský used to work as the Kings' European agent.)
Dravecky was just a depth player, not much more at the KHL level.

Reason I am a Slovak fan (and therefore a Slovan fan) is due to the Kings strong Slovak presence for many years (Palffy was my favourite player, Visnovsky right up there as well). I was a Kings fan pre Jets return to NHL (now they are tied #1). Certainly there was many ties there, maybe not so much anymore.

I am not going to comment on the Kings-Slovan comparaison though, since I am not entirely sold on that. Kings are bigger physical team that grinds alot, whereas Slovan is more of a straight system orientated defense, not exact parallels, although I can see it somewhat Faterson.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:

Ok, your opinion. I had a feeling that fans hated him. I am speaking about start of season.

Old
01-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Dravecky was just a depth player, not much more at the KHL level.
The "trouble" with Dravecký, in my opinion, is that he's a natural "top 6" player, not well suited for the 3rd or 4th line. But that's where Čada put him in almost all games (if not making him a healthy scratch), and (not surprisingly) he wasn't producing. Overseas, Dravecký's chances were diminished by his rather small frame. (Hudáček is a similar type of player, just younger, even in terms of originating from Eastern Slovakia like Dravecký.)

Quote:
Reason I am a Slovak fan (and therefore a Slovan fan) is due to the Kings strong Slovak presence for many years (Palffy was my favourite player, Visnovsky right up there as well).
Right. And Igor Liba -- a Košice legend -- played on the same line with Gretzky for a little while on the Kings decades ago.

Quote:
Certainly there was many ties there, maybe not so much anymore.
Nope. I believe Nedomanský had a falling-out with the Kings when the Dean Lombardi era began. Lombardi generally, I think, distrusts European players, with Kopitar, Handzuš and Voynov being exceptions.

Quote:
Kings are bigger physical team that grinds alot, whereas Slovan is more of a straight system orientated defense
I wouldn't agree with the Slovan part. It's a KHL cliché to say about Slovan and Čada, "They focus only on defence and nothing else, they're so boring." But that's not true, from what I've seen this season. Slovan can be pretty forceful on the attack, especially in situations like being a goal down at home in the final period. It's that Slovan's (Čada's) priority, but not exclusive focus, is secure defence.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
The "trouble" with Dravecký, in my opinion, is that he's a natural "top 6" player, not well suited for the 3rd or 4th line. But that's where Čada put him in almost all games (if not making him a healthy scratch), and (not surprisingly) he wasn't producing. Overseas, Dravecký's chances were diminished by his rather small frame. (Hudáček is a similar type of player, just younger, even in terms of originating from Eastern Slovakia like Dravecký.)
Hudacek is helluva lot more talented than Dravecky, IMO. Better skater, more offensive creativity, just overall much more talented.

Dravecky was never a fit in NA, that's for sure.

Quote:
Nope. I believe Nedomanský had a falling-out with the Kings when the Dean Lombardi era began. Lombardi generally, I think, distrusts European players, with Kopitar, Handzuš and Voynov being exceptions.
Lombardi seems to have little problem with Russians since he has drafted Slava Voynov, Andrei Loktionov, Maxim Kitsyn and Nikolai Prokhorkin in the past 5 drafts. 3 of those were in Russia when drafted. Has also drafted CZE RW Tomas Hyka, FIN G Christopher Gibson, SWE LW Michael Schumacher, SWE RW Oscar Moller, SWE D Niclas Andersen and GER LW Christopher Braun although most of those were already playing in Canadian Juniors pre being drafted.

But this is off-topic here, sorry.

Quote:
I wouldn't agree with the Slovan part. It's a KHL cliché to say about Slovan and Čada, "They focus only on defence and nothing else, they're so boring." But that's not true, from what I've seen this season. Slovan can be pretty forceful on the attack, especially in situations like being a goal down at home in the final period. It's that Slovan's (Čada's) priority, but not exclusive focus, is secure defence.
Fair enough. I was just mentioning that Kings were perhaps more focused on the bigger and grinding aspects, with grinders like King, Nolan, Fraser, Clifford filling out the roster rather than guys like Dano, Mikus who are smaller more skilled guys. No doubt Slovan is not defence only. I just don't think it's possible to play a style quite like the Kings on the big ice, the Slovan system is more positional orientated rather than grinding. Slovan does have offensive talent though, and can be exciting pressing the play.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Faterson

As to Lombardi and Europeans, he may be drafting them, but they rarely make it onto the first team permanently. Voynov is the big exception here, but look at what's happening to Oscar Muller or Loktionov... does not seem as if their NHL careers were flourishing.

Quote:
I just don't think it's possible to play a style quite like the Kings on the big ice
Bingo! It's just not necessary. Although Slovan's rink is the narrowest in the KHL (28 meters compared to 26 meters in the NHL).

Quote:
I was just mentioning that Kings were perhaps more focused on the bigger and grinding aspects, with grinders like King, Nolan, Fraser, Clifford filling out the roster rather than guys like Dano, Mikus who are smaller more skilled guys.
True, but if there wasn't that special KHL rule mandating at least 2 junior players on the roster of each KHL team, Daňo and Mikúš probably wouldn't have been on Slovan's roster this season.

To belabour the parallel even further , just like King and Nolan were a positive shock, mid-season farm-team additions for the Kings last year, so have Preisinger and Kudrna been very pleasant surprises on Slovan's roster in recent weeks, after being recalled from Pálffy's Skalica. I wouldn't hesitate to call them "grinders". When I saw those two guys flying on the ice, I instantly thought of Nolan and King.

And finally, Ölvecký reminds me of Dustin Penner.

The biggest problem for Slovan is that now with Višňovský and Sekera gone, their defence is much weaker than it was for much of the regular season. Especially for this reason, I'd say play-off success for Slovan is unlikely. On the other hand, if Janus decides to stand on his head... (An interview with Janus appeared today where he says he was slightly disappointed not to have been nominated for the KHL All-Star game. Staňa and Koshechkin were certainly worthy, too, but Janus even more so, I'd say.)

Old
01-25-2013, 04:52 PM
lukkas

Quote:
Ok, your opinion. I had a feeling that fans hated him. I am speaking about start of season.
There were some individuals who hated him (because he's from Košice) but I don't think it was enough to say generally that he was hated by Slovan fans. Actually a lot of people were pissed when Slovan released him.

lukkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:12 AM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Over a year ago, I remember arguing that the league rules should be changed to limit the number of non-Russian goalies. VladNYC straightened me out by saying that it wasn't the job of the KHL to develop goalies for the Russian Federation - it was their job to develop a successful inter-regional hockey league that becomes financially solvent. Vlad was right, and I was wrong. There is still a long way to go, and the potential for failure still lurks around the corner, but I am more confident of KHL success now than before.
That is mighty big of you

I totally understand views likes your's and Peter's but honestly believe that The KHL is the most important project in hockey right now. It requires sacrifice and true bravery, but the mission is worth the risk. In my opinion the organizations, especially the non-Russian ones that took a chance to do something great, are the real heroes of our sport.

The triple integration model of the KHL is the means that will lift European hockey to a height its member organizations will not be able to achieve on their own. The model that will develop in the next 20 years, barring a disaster of some sort, will both grow the sport world wide and bolster the national programs of all its members. We must not put nationalistic barriers in the way of such a project. And while I am as big of a Team Russia fan as anyone, I know the KHL is more important to Russian hockey then having Lada back in the top tier of hockey or limiting the level of play in the KHL so we develop a better back up goalie for our national team.

As time passes and more organizations are integrated into this project, we will see the KHL becoming less and less of a Russian entity and more and more of a fluid federation of European leagues with the best European teams playing there. We will have 3 major important levels of hockey that everyone can enjoy.

The first Tier will be the KHL were the best European Clubs play for the title of European Champion. Call the cup whatever you want if you find Yuri Gagarin, a hero to not just Russians but to all man kind, too offensive.

The second Tier will be the VHL, SEL(don't get angry Swedish posters i am not implying the SEL is a subpar league),SM-liiga,Czech Extraliga, NLA and other domestic national leagues. This is where you set up the type of system to benefit your own national program and domestic hockey. This is where you can set your foreigner limit or domestic goalie games played or whatever. This is how each of the member countries will keep their domestic flavor and not lose their distinct national identities. I'm not for dissolving current teams or making artificial ones. Just for a mechanism for you guys to send your best teams to the KHL to show that your teams aren't just big fish in small ponds.

The MHL will be the third tier and just as important, if not even more so then the other tiers. This will be a European unified junior league. This league will give an opportunity for junior players to stay close to home and not stunt their development by moving to North America. This will also give the junior players of smaller hockey nations an opportunity to play against the best, both raising interest in the sport domestically and bolstering their national teams.

All this needs to be vertically integrated and players need to be able to freely move from one level to another. We are seeing the tip of the spear these days with the development of the KHL and MHL into foreign markets and the results will start showing in a few years.

All we need to do as Europeans is to put away our stupid nationalistic ******** that has done NOTHING but hurt us over the years and believe in the sport we love so much. WW2 ended almost 70 years ago, the USSR collapsed more then 20 years ago time to move on folks.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:20 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
^ This post almost brought a tear into my eye. Well put, sir, well put. Probably by far the best of your ~5000 posts.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:07 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

VladNYC

Old
01-26-2013, 06:45 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
That is mighty big of you

I totally understand views likes your's and Peter's but honestly believe that The KHL is the most important project in hockey right now. It requires sacrifice and true bravery, but the mission is worth the risk. In my opinion the organizations, especially the non-Russian ones that took a chance to do something great, are the real heroes of our sport.

The triple integration model of the KHL is the means that will lift European hockey to a height its member organizations will not be able to achieve on their own. The model that will develop in the next 20 years, barring a disaster of some sort, will both grow the sport world wide and bolster the national programs of all its members. We must not put nationalistic barriers in the way of such a project. And while I am as big of a Team Russia fan as anyone, I know the KHL is more important to Russian hockey then having Lada back in the top tier of hockey or limiting the level of play in the KHL so we develop a better back up goalie for our national team.

As time passes and more organizations are integrated into this project, we will see the KHL becoming less and less of a Russian entity and more and more of a fluid federation of European leagues with the best European teams playing there. We will have 3 major important levels of hockey that everyone can enjoy.

The first Tier will be the KHL were the best European Clubs play for the title of European Champion. Call the cup whatever you want if you find Yuri Gagarin, a hero to not just Russians but to all man kind, too offensive.

The second Tier will be the VHL, SEL(don't get angry Swedish posters i am not implying the SEL is a subpar league),SM-liiga,Czech Extraliga, NLA and other domestic national leagues. This is where you set up the type of system to benefit your own national program and domestic hockey. This is where you can set your foreigner limit or domestic goalie games played or whatever. This is how each of the member countries will keep their domestic flavor and not lose their distinct national identities. I'm not for dissolving current teams or making artificial ones. Just for a mechanism for you guys to send your best teams to the KHL to show that your teams aren't just big fish in small ponds.

The MHL will be the third tier and just as important, if not even more so then the other tiers. This will be a European unified junior league. This league will give an opportunity for junior players to stay close to home and not stunt their development by moving to North America. This will also give the junior players of smaller hockey nations an opportunity to play against the best, both raising interest in the sport domestically and bolstering their national teams.

All this needs to be vertically integrated and players need to be able to freely move from one level to another. We are seeing the tip of the spear these days with the development of the KHL and MHL into foreign markets and the results will start showing in a few years.

All we need to do as Europeans is to put away our stupid nationalistic ******** that has done NOTHING but hurt us over the years and believe in the sport we love so much. WW2 ended almost 70 years ago, the USSR collapsed more then 20 years ago time to move on folks.
Great post absolutley agree

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:33 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

My words, VladNYC

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:04 AM
kajoo

Vlad for president

kajoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:59 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Slepyshev scored 1st goal for SY, G Vasilevski in net (13 min in 3rd period)

Old
01-26-2013, 10:15 AM
seeep

Oleg Petrov -> Lokomotiv
Daniil Erdakov (leader of Lokomotiv-VHL) -> Spartak

Old
01-26-2013, 10:16 AM
seeep

Korolyuk -> Magnitka

Old
01-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Stephen Dixon, Ässät Pori->unnamed KHL club (they'll announce it themselves later).

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:21 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

http://fanzone.khl.ru/news/21770/

there is interview with Artyukhin, but Kuznya is funny (dog)

Old
01-26-2013, 11:36 AM
seeep

Quote:
Stephen Dixon, Ässät Pori->unnamed KHL club (they'll announce it themselves later).
filppula, salminen, haataja would be much more interesting ...

Old
01-26-2013, 11:52 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeep View Post
maybe KHL club wanted center? Nobody of them is center, Dixon is. Who know, we will find out later.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:53 AM
seeep

Quote:
maybe KHL club wanted center? Nobody of them is center, Dixon is. Who know, we will find out later.
http://www.eurohockey.com/league/395-khl.html

looks like it's Loko

Old
01-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeep View Post
None of them are moving since the teams are well placed in the table and not that much in need of money. Filppula(who is a center) is also playing injured.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote