HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Some interest shown for Y. Weber (Car and Ott)

Old
01-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Mahleezer

vCash: 500
Some interest shown for Y. Weber (Car and Ott)

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/355334.html

Basically the article states that The Ottawa Senators and the Carolina Hurricanes have called the Habs to inquire about Weber.

It makes sense... Ottawa have been looking for defensive depth and Carolina have defensive injuries and Muller knows Weber well.

So... he gets traded to one of those teams?

Weber for a 2nd or 3rd?

Something a little bigger?

I'd be happy with the pick... a 2nd would be great.

Last edited by Mahleezer: 01-26-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:40 AM
s613s

Wouldn't mind a pick or B level prospect in return. That said i think the Habs should play him over Kaberle in the next couple of games. Kabs is terrible and while Weber is no Bobby Orr he may actually be more effective. At least on the PP

s613s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:41 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

IMO Chris Dreidger and a 4th would be fair and would help the Habs a lot towards solving their lack of goaltending depth

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Mahleezer

I am thinking the same thing... however I don't think Therrien will sit Kabs for Weber unless Kabs really screws up.

I see Weber playing up front before he plays defense.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Scorvo

Zach Boychuk interest you? Killed it in the AHL but hasn't done it in Raleigh. Change of scenery might work for him.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Mahleezer

Not bad... I wouldn't mind Boychuck.

Old
01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorvo View Post
Zach Boychuk interest you? Killed it in the AHL but hasn't done it in Raleigh. Change of scenery might work for him.
That might be something of interest right there.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:39 AM
General Granny*

Brassard and a pick.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:47 AM
The King of Town

I think Habs fans are likely to be disappointed with any return for Weber. They might as well hang on to him.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
WhiteLight*

No interest unless it's for free

WhiteLight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Captain Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
I think Habs fans are likely to be disappointed with any return for Weber. They might as well hang on to him.
Not necessarily. Weber is a victim of a logjam at D right now. Diaz (tied #1 in points for a D) and Emelin (#1 in hits for a D, #3 overall) have past him on the depth chart. Markov and Gorges are entrenched on the back-end and Boullion provides a gritty vet presence (and defensive awareness) that the team needs and Weber can't provide. As for Kaberle, he's the weak link, but if the Habs have any hope in trading him they need to play him. If Subban ever signs, Weber's chances of cracking a healthy line-up go to 0. With the guys in the pipeline, he risks getting lost in the shuffle. Its probably best for all parties to move him and get some return, likely in a pick, developing prospect or a forward in a similar position. Ultimately though it will likely be less about return and more to do with asset management (not that they'll just give him away).

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:18 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Not necessarily. Weber is a victim of a logjam at D right now. Diaz (tied #1 in points for a D) and Emelin (#1 in hits for a D, #3 overall) have past him on the depth chart. Markov and Gorges are entrenched on the back-end and Boullion provides a gritty vet presence (and defensive awareness) that the team needs and Weber can't provide. As for Kaberle, he's the weak link, but if the Habs have any hope in trading him they need to play him. If Subban ever signs, Weber's chances of cracking a healthy line-up go to 0.
That's exactly what I mean. This is a guy who hasn't managed to get in a game yet this year, in spite of the Habs not having signed Subban (yet). He couldn't hold a regular spot in the lineup last year, in spite of Markov's injury and the Habs being... well... terrible.

And yet I'm reading talk of a second round pick? "Something a little bigger" ? Forget about it.

Before you get on me about the Sens' defense, that's not the point. I know it's got holes right now, but that doesn't mean we need to overpay for a guy like Weber. If he's cheap, sure, but we've also got Lundin coming back soon so we're not selling the farm. Hence me saying Habs fans are likely to be disappointed with any return.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Mahleezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Not necessarily. Weber is a victim of a logjam at D right now. Diaz (tied #1 in points for a D) and Emelin (#1 in hits for a D, #3 overall) have past him on the depth chart. Markov and Gorges are entrenched on the back-end and Boullion provides a gritty vet presence (and defensive awareness) that the team needs and Weber can't provide. As for Kaberle, he's the weak link, but if the Habs have any hope in trading him they need to play him. If Subban ever signs, Weber's chances of cracking a healthy line-up go to 0. With the guys in the pipeline, he risks getting lost in the shuffle. Its probably best for all parties to move him and get some return, likely in a pick, developing prospect or a forward in a similar position. Ultimately though it will likely be less about return and more to do with asset management (not that they'll just give him away).
Well said my good man... well said!

Old
01-26-2013, 11:23 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
That's exactly what I mean. This is a guy who hasn't managed to get in a game yet this year, in spite of the Habs not having signed Subban (yet). He couldn't hold a regular spot in the lineup last year, in spite of Markov's injury and the Habs being... well... terrible.

And yet I'm reading talk of a second round pick? "Something a little bigger" ? Forget about it.

Before you get on me about the Sens' defense, that's not the point. I know it's got holes right now, but that doesn't mean we need to overpay for a guy like Weber. If he's cheap, sure, but we've also got Lundin coming back soon so we're not selling the farm. Hence me saying Habs fans are likely to be disappointed with any return.
Wrong. Weber play 60 games last year and was injured for 10-12 games.

EveryDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:25 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Wrong.
60 games played doesn't sound like a regular to me. 11 of those 22 missed games were due to injury (according to TSN).

Even if we call him a regular last year, the rest of the point stands. You're not getting a second round pick for a fringe defenseman who has trouble getting into a lineup, any more than we're getting a second round pick for Mike Lundin.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:26 AM
jeromeo87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorvo View Post
Was thinking the same thing.. Honestly don't know too much about Weber, though..

jeromeo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:27 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
60 games played doesn't sound like a regular to me.

Even if we call him a regular last year, the rest of the point stands.
Agree, Weber is nothing more then a 3rd pairing D. Can also play on the 2nd PP, His value is probably close to a 3rd round pick...

Plz don't compare Weber to Lundin...almost 5 years difference between both. IMO Weber hold more value.

EveryDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Brassard and a pick.
Even without the pick the Habs take that and run.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Mahleezer

If some teams get some injuries or have a start to the shortened season that's not to their liking they might start getting desperate to get something done before it's too late and I see a team paying a 2nd for Weber... Gill got a 2nd pick, so you never know!

Old
01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Ben Bishop for Weber + pick?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Hugo Sham

Wasn't Weber a 2nd round pick? He still has tremendous offensive upside. Habs aren't going to give him away. young dmen with talent have value

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I'd rather move Kaberle. But if there is a 2nd rounder out there (or equivalent prospect), then maybe it would be a nice gesture to give Weber a change of scenery. He does need a chance. He started so well last season, took the PP time away from some of the more notable players (e.g. Subban), and was decent defensively. Then he got hurt and shuffled around by the coaches and the wheels felll off. But he's worth a try somewhere. It may or may not work out in the long run. But same can be said for a 2nd round pick. Difference is, Weber starts tomorrow, not 5 years from now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Benjamin
Differently Financed

vCash: 50
Bishop?

Benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:06 PM
ProspectsFanatic
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Ben Bishop for Weber + pick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Bishop?
We don't want and need any goalie.

ProspectsFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Boom Boom Aho
Sooo Good

Not sure why the Canes would be interested in Weber honestly. What they lack is the physical "defensive" style defenseman. They already have too many "offensive" defensemen with with McBain, Pitkanen, Faulk, Corvo and Sanguinetti so I don't see how Weber really fits.

Boom Boom Aho is online now   Reply With Quote