HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sigh.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 10:45 AM
  #226
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Oh hey, Steve Ott attempting 7 ES draws wouldn't have anything to do with this team being garbage at faceoffs now, would it? He's above 60% at the dot and yet is 5th in faceoff attempts.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:51 AM
  #227
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Oh hey, Steve Ott attempting 7 ES draws wouldn't have anything to do with this team being garbage at faceoffs now, would it? He's above 60% at the dot and yet is 5th in faceoff attempts.
He's around 56% his last 3 seasons and was 2nd in total faceoffs taken the past two seasons for Dallas, I don't understand why he isn't taking them.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:56 AM
  #228
Royisgone
Registered User
 
Royisgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
He's around 56% his last 3 seasons and was 2nd in total faceoffs taken the past two seasons for Dallas, I don't understand why he isn't taking them.
Look at the photo in your avatar. It provides a clue.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:59 AM
  #229
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,195
vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Didn't catch much of the game as I was busy at my internship.

One thing that has stuck out through three games (and at least once last night) is that they need to get back to basics on the power play. Whoever has the puck on our half-wall is trying to make cross-ice feeds far too often. It's getting picked off and sent down the ice.

Furthermore, it appears as though the strategy to thwart a Lindy Ruff power play is to aggressively pursue the puck. I find that all of our players panic when faced with an aggressive checker and either cough it up or dish it to a guy not in position to receive a pass or make a play.
I noticed yesterday as I was at the game that the Hurricanes were really pressuring the blueline on the PP. That was bad, we couldn't hold it in. The cross arena feeds killed us as well. We really had no composure.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  #230
camcool21
Registered User
 
camcool21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 500
Vanek has been on the ice for every buffalo goal, yet he is only a +1 for the season. Not very good.

camcool21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:54 AM
  #231
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by camcool21 View Post
Vanek has been on the ice for every buffalo goal, yet he is only a +1 for the season. Not very good.
We have 4 PP goals (Vanek has 2 of them). You don't get a plus for those. So pointing out his +1 in the context that you are is sort of pointless.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
  #232
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
They really need to find a decent broadcast team. Rob Ray is not a good color guy, and we just don't have a suitable backup for RJ. Listening to Sylvester and Rob and then watching other games with different broadcast groups is just pathetic.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:02 PM
  #233
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
They really need to find a decent broadcast team. Rob Ray is not a good color guy, and we just don't have a suitable backup for RJ. Listening to Sylvester and Rob and then watching other games with different broadcast groups is just pathetic.

The PxP guy is usually the anchor of a broadcast. I really think Ray will be fine once RJ returns. It will give him an experienced PxP guy to work off of as opposed to K-Sly who is brutal. How on earth is he the go to option if RJ is sick? I really hope the Sabres have been getting emails and calls over how bad he is.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:15 PM
  #234
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
They really need to find a decent broadcast team. Rob Ray is not a good color guy, and we just don't have a suitable backup for RJ. Listening to Sylvester and Rob and then watching other games with different broadcast groups is just pathetic.
On my way home from work last night I was trying to listen to the 3rd period, and I literally had no idea what was going on. No idea what zone it was in, no idea who had it, or what was going on.... Sylvester is terrible.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:22 PM
  #235
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
The PxP guy is usually the anchor of a broadcast. I really think Ray will be fine once RJ returns. It will give him an experienced PxP guy to work off of as opposed to K-Sly who is brutal. How on earth is he the go to option if RJ is sick? I really hope the Sabres have been getting emails and calls over how bad he is.
While what you say is true, I disagree that Ray is adequate. He makes the same points over and over again every game. He also thinks everything is really "nice", and stumbles in his speech an awful lot.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:25 PM
  #236
hizzoner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
I watched the 2 Cane games on the national feed on Cente Ice. It was deplorable-a love in for the Canes with the odd mention the Sabres were on the ice--usually to mention they should have had a penalty....

hizzoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:27 PM
  #237
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
While what you say is true, I disagree that Ray is adequate. He makes the same points over and over again every game. He also thinks everything is really "nice", and stumbles in his speech an awful lot.
I'm not trying to sell you on Ray. I'm just saying the broadcast will be much better and his deficiencies will be less noticeable/annoying.

I was looking forward to Ray and RJ busting on each other this year

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:27 PM
  #238
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon
 
chadthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Ray is fine. Especially because of my new drinking game where I take a drink every time he says 'down low'

chadthestampede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:35 PM
  #239
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
I watched the 2 Cane games on the national feed on Cente Ice. It was deplorable-a love in for the Canes with the odd mention the Sabres were on the ice--usually to mention they should have had a penalty....
I don't care about how Homeriffic the announcers are. They're employed by the team to do their games, it's to be expected. I'm talking about individuals being quality broadcasters.

Lots of people just can't do it, especially former sports players who spent their entire career getting punched in the face. Ray is actually much better than I would expect him to be, but he still doesn't belong in an NHL press box IMO.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:39 PM
  #240
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Didn't catch much of the game as I was busy at my internship.

One thing that has stuck out through three games (and at least once last night) is that they need to get back to basics on the power play. Whoever has the puck on our half-wall is trying to make cross-ice feeds far too often. It's getting picked off and sent down the ice.

Furthermore, it appears as though the strategy to thwart a Lindy Ruff power play is to aggressively pursue the puck. I find that all of our players panic when faced with an aggressive checker and either cough it up or dish it to a guy not in position to receive a pass or make a play.
Where do you intern?

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
  #241
sba
....
 
sba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Islip Terrace, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
What about McNabb
Seems like he's regressed according to the people who watch the Amerks a lot.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:08 PM
  #242
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cressona/Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,180
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
I watched the 2 Cane games on the national feed on Cente Ice. It was deplorable-a love in for the Canes with the odd mention the Sabres were on the ice--usually to mention they should have had a penalty....
Huh? There was no national feed for either Cane games......


Maybe you were watching the Hurricane feed?

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:15 PM
  #243
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Huh? There was no national feed for either Cane games......


Maybe you were watching the Hurricane feed?
For the Friday night game, the only Center Ice feed was the Canes announcers. So yes, he was watching the Canes announcers.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:00 PM
  #244
Endless Ike
Registered User
 
Endless Ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
agreed. I think it's that we all know, deep down, this team is short another top end center, and knowing this management team, Grigs is the only hope. But he's no that this year. He may have a place on the roster, but he's not the cure, at least not this year.
Even if that's true. We're not winning the cup this year, we're not even close. So take your lumps and play him through thick and thin, especially for his five "free" games.

Instead we'll stick to the system and get badly outplayed with Hecht while learning nothing.

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.