HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News around the NHL

Old
01-25-2013, 01:18 PM
MTK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
PA a goal and an assist, now has 3 points in 3 games and is a plus 4.
Boyes has 3 points in 3 games and is a plus 2. I actually like what I see from Boyes.

PA wanted a LT deal and I am glad Garth didn't give it to him

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:24 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Boyes has 3 points in 3 games and is a plus 2. I actually like what I see from Boyes.

PA wanted a LT deal and I am glad Garth didn't give it to him
I really believe that Garth made a mistake here. It's not an age issue because PA would only be 33 at the end of the contract. If Garth felt that age was a factor he wouldn't have traded for Lubo. We'll see if the team offers a contract to Streit, and certainly if he gets a two year contract it means that age isn't the main factor.

When PA was here he continued to improve his game and played with intensity and competed for the puck. A flawed player? Yes as is KO, Moulson and Boyes. There is no reason to question motivation for the duration of the contract since the work ethic is there.

I posted the updates on PA because so many people felt that JT gift wrapped all of PA's points.
I believe that PA's passing will fit in well with Duchense and Landeskog. JT will get his numbers because he is as driven a player as I've ever seen but I don't think his goals will be the same. Unfortunately he'll concentrate more on setting up KO and Moulson than trying to score himself.

Besides wouldn't we prefer to have PA on the roster instead of Boulton or Reasoner? We could just as easily signed Boyes to replace Rolston. No reason that we couldn't have PA, KO and Boyes.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
I really believe that Garth made a mistake here. It's not an age issue because PA would only be 33 at the end of the contract. If Garth felt that age was a factor he wouldn't have traded for Lubo. We'll see if the team offers a contract to Streit, and certainly if he gets a two year contract it means that age isn't the main factor.

When PA was here he continued to improve his game and played with intensity and competed for the puck. A flawed player? Yes as is KO, Moulson and Boyes. There is no reason to question motivation for the duration of the contract since the work ethic is there.

I posted the updates on PA because so many people felt that JT gift wrapped all of PA's points.
I believe that PA's passing will fit in well with Duchense and Landeskog. JT will get his numbers because he is as driven a player as I've ever seen but I don't think his goals will be the same. Unfortunately he'll concentrate more on setting up KO and Moulson than trying to score himself.

Besides wouldn't we prefer to have PA on the roster instead of Boulton or Reasoner? We could just as easily signed Boyes to replace Rolston. No reason that we couldn't have PA, KO and Boyes.

If the isles decide they want a playmaker on Tavares wing, I'd guess that Strome or
Kabanov would get a chance.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 02:36 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
If the isles decide they want a playmaker on Tavares wing, I'd guess that Strome or
Kabanov would get a chance.
Agree entirely. That's why PA wasn't signed; it was to open the spot eventually for Strome not because of the duration of the contract. I still wish that Garth could see that you can keep PA and eventually put him on a 3rd line and he would contribute.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:14 AM
giddy up*

Corey Perry

Corey Perry will be a UFA this offseason. We should be giving him a blank check. We should do anything and everything to get him to sign here. The arena is no longer in question, so there are no more excuses for Garth and Wang. It's time to start spending. It's time to get a legit right winger for Tavares. As a right handed shot with immense skill, Corey Perry is a perfect fit and we don't have to give up any prospects to get him.

Knowing this team, I'm not holding my breath. But enough is enough its time to make a big move.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:22 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
Corey Perry will be a UFA this offseason. We should be giving him a blank check. We should do anything and everything to get him to sign here. The arena is no longer in question, so there are no more excuses for Garth and Wang. It's time to start spending. It's time to get a legit right winger for Tavares. As a right handed shot with immense skill, Corey Perry is a perfect fit and we don't have to give up any prospects to get him.

Knowing this team, I'm not holding my breath. But enough is enough its time to make a big move.
Not sure if you seen Anaheim and Vancouver tonight but Perry does not like lose and has a nasty streak. I would love to see someone with that attitude on the Islanders.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:13 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Not sure if you seen Anaheim and Vancouver tonight but Perry does not like lose and has a nasty streak. I would love to see someone with that attitude on the Islanders.
If the isles could make this season's playoffs, it'd make them more attractive to ufas.

Maybe encourage Wang to open his checkbook.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:20 AM
steveat

There's a lot of good UFAs this summer. I wouldn't mind going for Getzlaf

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:07 AM
CREW99AW

Nice to see Markov putting the injuries behind him.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-Capitals.html
Finally healthy after twice tearing the ACL in his right knee, Markov had a goal and an assist during the second-period spree in which the Canadiens scored 5-on-3, 5-on-4 and 5-on-5 in a little over 6 minutes.

"He controls the game really well; he's got such an important role for us," Therrien said. "He competes so hard, he's tough to play against. And he's doing a very good job on the power play."

Old
01-26-2013, 09:22 AM
CREW99AW

There's a report that the Habs are pushing for a 2 yr deal, that averages $2.5m per.

The article below says Subban and his agent want to use Benn's contract as a marker. Benn signed a deal that averages $5.2m per.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/..._negotiations/
No progress between Subban, Habs in meeting
Earlier on Friday, it was reported that Subban was seeking a long-term deal with the starting point for negotiations being in the vicinity of forward Jamie Benn's new contract with the Dallas Stars. < br>

Benn signed a five-year, $26.25 million contract on Thursday night after he missed the first several games of the season as a restricted free agent holdout.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:32 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
There's a report that the Habs are pushing for a 2 yr deal, that averages $2.5m per.

The article below says Subban and his agent want to use Benn's contract as a marker. Benn signed a deal that averages $5.2m per.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/..._negotiations/
No progress between Subban, Habs in meeting
Earlier on Friday, it was reported that Subban was seeking a long-term deal with the starting point for negotiations being in the vicinity of forward Jamie Benn's new contract with the Dallas Stars. < br>

Benn signed a five-year, $26.25 million contract on Thursday night after he missed the first several games of the season as a restricted free agent holdout.
I don't watch many Habs games so Subban is more of a highlight reel guy for me. If my impression of his game is right, and motivation is not a factor in worrying about what to sign him for, I don't think $5 mill and change a season for 5 years is a bad deal at all.

Our defense would benefit immediately from this deal. If we finished on the plus side of .500 after ten games I'd consider risking the first round pick for him, assuming we won't be challenging for the top three picks this year. IMO, his addition would help reinforce our defense enough to push us further from the top picks too as we could throw Finley back on the woodpile for good. Imagine next year with Hamonic, Subban, & Carkner in our top 6, and Reinhart on the way (and no Finley in sight). Donovan would also be threatening... And into that you had MacDonald & Strait as solid depth. Notice I am not even including Streit as I don't know where the club is going with him next year.

That would be a defense I could call good for the first time in a very long time.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:48 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I don't watch many Habs games so Subban is more of a highlight reel guy for me. If my impression of his game is right, and motivation is not a factor in worrying about what to sign him for, I don't think $5 mill and change a season for 5 years is a bad deal at all.

Our defense would benefit immediately from this deal. If we finished on the plus side of .500 after ten games I'd consider risking the first round pick for him, assuming we won't be challenging for the top three picks this year. IMO, his addition would help reinforce our defense enough to push us further from the top picks too as we could throw Finley back on the woodpile for good. Imagine next year with Hamonic, Subban, & Carkner in our top 6, and Reinhart on the way (and no Finley in sight). Donovan would also be threatening... And into that you had MacDonald & Strait as solid depth. Notice I am not even including Streit as I don't know where the club is going with him next year.

That would be a defense I could call good for the first time in a very long time.
I thought $4m per, the amount that Carlson and Fowler signed for, was pretty fair on a 2nd contract.

I think Subban's a very talented kid, but somewhat overrated by the Canadian press and Habs fans.
One homer suggested Hamonic+Nino+1st for Subban.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:19 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

Quote:
I thought $4m per, the amount that Carlson and Fowler signed for, was pretty fair on a 2nd contract.

I think Subban's a very talented kid, but somewhat overrated by the Canadian press and Habs fans.
One homer suggested Hamonic+Nino+1st for Subban.
I am impressed he didn't ask for Tavares.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:06 PM
The KGBeast

I think I'd rather just offer sheet Subban. I read this morning you can go up to about $5.05 million a season and only have to surrender a first and a third. Four years for $20 million or so seems about right.

The KGBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:03 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=371

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Renbarg

Regarding Subban, the Islanders should really be crossing their fingers that Habs "win" the battle with PK. My gut says that Hamonic will get ~80% of what Subban ultimately gets. This is of course assuming Subban doesn't get traded to the Islanders.

*EDIT - I think Hamonic is going to be a tough sign, don't forget that he signed his first contract at the very last second.

Last edited by Renbarg: 01-26-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 09:18 AM
CREW99AW

I have to give the Rangers credit, it sounds like they wiped the floor up with Toronto.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=414597
They're a team that's got lots of size, they like to bang and they're fast," Dion Phaneuf said after the game. "And they kept coming. We were hanging on, hanging on and hanging on and eventually they just kept coming and broke us."

Old
01-27-2013, 10:57 AM
CREW99AW

Garroich isn't the most credible source, but he's saying the Avs are quietly shopping ROR, who wants $5m per. Also, an interesting look at the Caps gm and coach on the hotseat.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/01/26/...ter-slow-start
Washington Capitals GM George McPhee feeling heat after slow start
For 14 years, McPhee has been GM of the Capitals. But many around the NHL are wondering if the pressure on him from owner Ted Leonsis has ever been greater than it is right now because this isn't the start that was scripted.

The Caps had a gutsy effort in a 3-2 OT loss to the New Jersey Devils Friday, but the reality is all they did was squander another point. Oates tried struggling Alex Ovechkin on the right wing and moved him back to the left after three losses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

More crushin on Hamilton.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/01/26/...ookie-hamilton
Bruins captain Zdeno Chara has high praise for rookie Dougie Hamilton
“He’s very willing to learn,” Chara told the Toronto Sun. “He’s got all the tools to develop into a Norris Trophy candidate.”

Old
01-27-2013, 11:03 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
I have to give the Rangers credit, it sounds like they wiped the floor up with Toronto.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=414597
They're a team that's got lots of size, they like to bang and they're fast," Dion Phaneuf said after the game. "And they kept coming. We were hanging on, hanging on and hanging on and eventually they just kept coming and broke us."
Dion has become a number 5 or 6 defenseman. What a loser this guy is.

As for the Rangers, they are a one line team. Nash looks awesome, Gaborik scores in bunches, and Richards has a sweet first pass.

Outside of that, against teams that aren't the Loafs, they'll have a hard time winning games. Watch how different things are vs. Philly. Philly would have trampled them if they had a 2-0 lead.

Rags will be 2-4 by Tuesday.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Phil Kessel

He's not having the best start to the year, but the dude has skill.

He'll have one year remaining on his contract after this season. In that summer do we think he would be a legit candidate for JT's wing? Projecting a little:

Moulson - JT - Kessel
Grabner - Strome - Nino
Nelson - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Aucoin - Ullstrom?

Looks really good from here...

I pushed Nelson to wing, but its possible he displaces Frans all together.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
19NYSports91

I don't think Kessel is a good fit, I would much rather trade for Bobby Ryan than Kessel.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I don't think Kessel is a good fit, I would much rather trade for Bobby Ryan than Kessel.
As would I, but we'd lose significant assets in that trade, where as with Kessel, we'd get him for only $ which will let us keep our depth.

On that topic though, Ryan is a UFA the summer before the 15-16 season........

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:39 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
He's not having the best start to the year, but the dude has skill.

He'll have one year remaining on his contract after this season. In that summer do we think he would be a legit candidate for JT's wing? Projecting a little:

Moulson - JT - Kessel
Grabner - Strome - Nino
Nelson - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Aucoin - Ullstrom?

Looks really good from here...

I pushed Nelson to wing, but its possible he displaces Frans all together.

Unless Kessel was willing to sign a deal, that fit into Snow's budget, I would not expect Garth to be in the mix for Kessel.

I don't see Snow breaking the bank for a highly skilled, but defensively and physically weak player.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:06 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

The only trade we should consider right now is for a top 4 defenseman. Any other need should be addresses this summer.

And no to Phil. If we make a move for a forward I want a 1st line wing for Tavares who has size and jam, not necessarily a sometimes lazy scorer.

Old
01-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The KGBeast View Post
I think I'd rather just offer sheet Subban. I read this morning you can go up to about $5.05 million a season and only have to surrender a first and a third. Four years for $20 million or so seems about right.
The Habs would just match. It's a futile exercise.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote