HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

at Buffalo 1/25

Old
01-26-2013, 09:39 AM
kohlerk08

vCash: 500
Didn't take very long for the Buffalonians to complain about the Hurricanes diving...10 minutes after the game ended there were posts in their postgame thread about our "inability to stay on our feet"

kohlerk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Oenatzu
#DirectorOfDreams

-Semin needs to shoot more. A lot more.
-It's a weird feeling not having to hold my breath for an entire game when we are playing a backup goalie.
-I'm not quite as optimistic as Tripp about our defensive depth so I really hope Faulk doesn't miss any games.
-Was waiting for the Gleason-Ott altercation to happen in the first game.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Could it be that they need the roster spot for a defenseman due to Faulk's injury? With Welsh, they are at the max of 23, correct?
I think they'd just like him to play games, since he's only played 1 game so far in the NHL. Or it could be Muller doesn't think he's ready.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:58 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenatzu View Post
-Semin needs to shoot more. A lot more.
-It's a weird feeling not having to hold my breath for an entire game when we are playing a backup goalie.
-I'm not quite as optimistic as Tripp about our defensive depth so I really hope Faulk doesn't miss any games.
-Was waiting for the Gleason-Ott altercation to happen in the first game.
-I'll politely disagree and say that Semin just needs to keep on keeping on.
-Watching a Canes backup play competently and with a pleasant attitude is truly something to behold. I have extra spring in my step today.
-No one is quite as optimistic as Tripp about our D depth (insert Ministry of Propaganda reference here). I'm not particularly religious, but may have said a few words for Faulk's upper body health last night and this morning.
-It took Ott the entire first game to realize that Brenden Morrow wasn't going to jump Timbo for him, and that this one was all on him.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
I think they'd just like him to play games, since he's only played 1 game so far in the NHL. Or it could be Muller doesn't think he's ready.
Yeah, that's probably true, and I agree the best approach with him is getting him more PT in the AHL vs. being in and out on the 4th line. Depending on how serious the injury to Faulk is though, the Canes may need to add another defenseman to the roster as well.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlerk08 View Post
Didn't take very long for the Buffalonians to complain about the Hurricanes diving...10 minutes after the game ended there were posts in their postgame thread about our "inability to stay on our feet"
Saw skinner with an obvious dive. Then he screamed at the ref so loud I could hear him in the background. Otherwise I didn't notice any.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:31 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Saw skinner with an obvious dive. Then he screamed at the ref so loud I could hear him in the background. Otherwise I didn't notice any.
When Vanek slashed Faulk, he lost his feet, and I heard the crowd howl at that. Seemed like he went down rather easily. Well, musta been that, cuz if they were howling at the slash call, then they are just a bunch of...well, you know.

And yeah...Skinner *****ing at the refs, jesus. That was embarrassing to hear. "ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME??? **** YOU!!" as he looked over at the ref in the other corner. And this after Vanek's aforementioned slash also netted him an unsportsmanlike...you'd have to wonder how much worse Vanek's indiscretion was.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Could it be that they need the roster spot for a defenseman due to Faulk's injury? With Welsh, they are at the max of 23, correct?
But they have seven defensemen on the roster including Faulk.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:40 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Which means they'd have to put him on IR in order to bring someone else in, no? And none of us want to see that, if indeed he is simply day-to-day...

Old
01-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Novacane
My Hero

Reading the trade board, apparently we're showing some interest in Yannick Weber. Isn't he another soft, RH PMD? I haven't paid enough attention to his game, but I don't think adding 5'11" 193lbs will do anything to bolster our defense.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Correct, But my point was if Faulk's injury keeps him out of the lineup for some games (but not bad enough to go on IR), they may want to add another defenseman on the roster for the next few games since they would only have 6 healthy defensemen without Faulk. If Faulk will miss a few games and they want to add a D-Man to the roster as insurance, then the only option is to send Boychuk or Welsh down. Welsh doesn't have to pass through waivers.

Anyhow, I was only speculating as I have no idea how serious the injury to Faulk even is. I suspect it's more likely what Joe and other's said about letting Welsh get some PT in the AHL.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:46 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Trying to remember, was that off the high stick (which he did do a sell job on), or something else? Not that the language was at all necessary, but that was a pretty blatant and obvious high stick call to **** up that badly.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Sens1Canes2

It's hockey. All cursing is absolutely necessary.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:50 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Trying to remember, was that off the high stick (which he did do a sell job on), or something else? Not that the language was at all necessary, but that was a pretty blatant and obvious high stick call to **** up that badly.
No, he was trying to muscle his way around a defenseman (which he did) and they got tangled up and went into the boards. The game was 1-1 at that point with nearly 14:00 to go...refs probably aren't as willing to call something marginal at that point.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

And its not like there werent Sabre players trying to sell some calls as well.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:15 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
No, he was trying to muscle his way around a defenseman (which he did) and they got tangled up and went into the boards. The game was 1-1 at that point with nearly 14:00 to go...refs probably aren't as willing to call something marginal at that point.
Yep, missed that one. Or I saw it and thought it was rather innocuous at best.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:19 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
And yeah...Skinner *****ing at the refs, jesus. That was embarrassing to hear. "ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME??? **** YOU!!" as he looked over at the ref in the other corner.
Didn't he take a stick in the face?

Skinner's young, but he isn't green any more -- I'd think he has some latitude with the refs at this point.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
There better not be any truth to that, if we trade for Yannick Weber it's a sign that we truly do not know how to build a defense.

I'm starting to think with the 37th pick in 2010 we just picked a name out of a hat and got REALLY, REALLY lucky...

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
There better not be any truth to that, if we trade for Yannick Weber it's a sign that we truly do not know how to build a defense.

I'm starting to think with the 37th pick in 2010 we just picked a name out of a hat and got REALLY, REALLY lucky...
Actually that might not be THAT far off. That USNTDP dman class was just ridiculous. Forbort, Tinordi, Faulk, Merrill, Johns... all in the first 2 rounds. All it would have taken is scoting liking Merrill or Johns more then they did Faulk, which at the time wasn't exactly a stretch. Most people preferred Merrill to Faulk, though much of that was due to prior hype. We got really REALLY lucky that we picked the right one of the 5.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:46 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Didn't he take a stick in the face?

Skinner's young, but he isn't green any more -- I'd think he has some latitude with the refs at this point.
He did, and he went down clutching his face, and he didn't get the call. But that wasn't the instance where he yelled so loudly at the refs that the entire arena and TV audience could hear him. That instance was when he went in on the forecheck and got tangled up with Sulzer, and that was definitely not worth endangering your credibility with the referees over. And every time he whines, that's what he's putting on the line.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I was hoping Skinner would grow up this year but I guess that's too much to ask.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Gr8Dan

Quote:
I was hoping Skinner would grow up this year but I guess that's too much to ask.
Only thing that grew was his ridiculous hair... cut it off mannnn

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
When Vanek slashed Faulk, he lost his feet, and I heard the crowd howl at that. Seemed like he went down rather easily. Well, musta been that, cuz if they were howling at the slash call, then they are just a bunch of...well, you know.

And yeah...Skinner *****ing at the refs, jesus. That was embarrassing to hear. "ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME??? **** YOU!!" as he looked over at the ref in the other corner. And this after Vanek's aforementioned slash also netted him an unsportsmanlike...you'd have to wonder how much worse Vanek's indiscretion was.
Yup. That was the one. On my surround sound out on the rear left I could clear as day hear skinner with his nasal whiny mom took my cell phone cuz i txted away the mortgage payment 12 year old girl voice hurling expletives on a play where he was at most being leaned on, ran out of space so he just fell down. I thought the same thing about vanek. His was so quick how did skinner not get one? Skinners was like ten seconds long. It was embarrassing. This is why he needed more seasoning regardless of skill. Act like a kid, go play with the kids. He isn't going to singlehandedly win the cup for us. We didnt need him enough to justify dealing with this crap. I reffed a long time. I would've tossed him, then told his mom everything he said to me verbatim so he'd get smacked at home.

No Dave, not the high stick. Though the over exaggeration on that was pretty embarrassing as well. I think he was making a play on the puck and got rubbed off coming down the left wing. He got too deep to accomplish anything and just gave up thinking it looked like he was being held. No sale.

If anyone can get the audio it's worth hearing just to laugh at.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 01-26-2013 at 01:02 PM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:12 PM
VAcaniac
Meet the real Anton.

That was pretty funny. In my 11 years of watching the Canes, I don't think I've ever seen something like that.

VAcaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Skinner looks more poised to me but meh. What do I know. All I care is that he reaches that 40 goal style that we know he can. So I guess my goal is to see 24 from him this year.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote