HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Official Doom & Gloom / Rant Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 10:10 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

vCash: 500
Official Doom & Gloom / Rant Thread

With the plethora of injuries and the lackluster play from the skaters, only Theodore's stellar play has kept this (IMO) from being the worst Panthers team I have ever seen take the ice - matching the circa 2003-4 Panthers for ineptitude (record =/= ineptitude - we had worse records recently but no team looked as bad doing it).

It's hard to blame anyone in particular - with a full complement of players this team (IMO) leads the division. But now? I have little hope of these players getting healthy and in game shape in time to salvage this season.

I'm not panicking. I'm rather calm in my pessimism. I just think it would take a miracle for this team to turn things around.... and believe me, I'd love to see a miracle.

Consider this the official place to place your rants / complaints and overall pessimism for the rest of the season. I'll open a new thread as soon as it hits 1,000 posts... may not take long.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

vCash: 50
I'll spare the rants on the team because we all know they need a good

One thing that gets me down is the amount of empty seats behind the bench at home games which is Club Red???

Our average attendance is above 16,000 isnt it? It just looks REALLY bad to see that many empty seats while watching the games on TV.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post
I'll spare the rants on the team because we all know they need a good

One thing that gets me down is the amount of empty seats behind the bench at home games which is Club Red???

Our average attendance is above 16,000 isnt it? It just looks REALLY bad to see that many empty seats while watching the games on TV.
Yes it does. As if the world weren't already obsessed with our attendance enough. The powers that be had to clear a whole section that sits directly on display during TV coverage.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:44 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
To be honest, when I watch the game, I have a hard time focusing on the game itself because every time the camera pans through the neutral zone, the massive section of empty seats smacks me in the face. It really is a real-downer to me just watching it at HOME, I couldn't imagine how sucky it is at the game.

We aren't Toronto or any team in Canada that can sell corporate seats in a skinny minute. We are an under-performing sunbelt team. I could understand it if we had sustained success for a long period of time and attendance was good and we were the talk of the town, but we aren't. Over-ambitious rubbish is what Club Red is. Yorkman at his finest.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:56 AM
RainingRats

The brooklyn nets black out with their lighting setup all the seats. It's pretty cool. I doubt they would consider it but it's something they could do to make the empty seats less obvious.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:58 AM
RainingRats

It sucks that we're injured but it happens. Our top line played in almost all the games last season. This year, not so much. With a shortened season it wont be as tortuous. If we can get another Hubs or Bjugstad out of it because of our record, it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:05 AM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
It sucks that we're injured but it happens. Our top line played in almost all the games last season. This year, not so much. With a shortened season it wont be as tortuous. If we can get another Hubs or Bjugstad out of it because of our record, it wouldn't be the worst thing.
I don't think were that bad its going to be hard to beat out Columbus for that low seed. Its funny because whenever I look at all the teams in the league Columbus is the only team I can say "ok they will miss the playoffs" I can't find not one other team like that, even the Oilers look like a playoff team with all that offense.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:10 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
I don't think were that bad its going to be hard to beat out Columbus for that low seed. Its funny because whenever I look at all the teams in the league Columbus is the only team I can say "ok they will miss the playoffs" I can't find not one other team like that, even the Oilers look like a playoff team with all that offense.
I'm afraid we're going to dig ourselves into a huge hole. Then we'll trade some quality pieces at the deadline. We'd end up as a lottery team, imo. I don't think we'll be the worst team in the league. Somewhere around 25-30 is hard to argue against at this time.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:33 AM
IceManCat
Tank Disarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I'm afraid we're going to dig ourselves into a huge hole. Then we'll trade some quality pieces at the deadline. We'd end up as a lottery team, imo. I don't think we'll be the worst team in the league. Somewhere around 25-30 is hard to argue against at this time.
If its between Drouin and Jones who do you go with? assuming CLB gets the first pick

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:43 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
If its between Drouin and Jones who do you go with? assuming CLB gets the first pick
Drouin. I don't like drafting d-men with a top 10 pick. I think you can always find good ones scattered in the first round and they're much harder to project, especially since their transition into the NHL is a very difficult one. We lack scoring, you can never have enough scoring, we need another scorer. A top six core down the road of Bjugstad, Hubs, Drouin, Versteeg, and Flash is pretty solid. Then we'll have a d-core of Campbell, Kulikov, and Guds. Markstrom in net. That's pretty legit. Plus, teams that really become good, live and die, imo, with quality forwards. I think our D is more than adequate at this point when healthy and is going to get better.

Jones from what I read is going to be great and I know some would draft him and trade kulikov for a forward which makes a lot of sense. It's just something I think is unnecessary and makes a pretty big assumption.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:46 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Yormark should have known what type of affect Club Dead would have on the way the team was presented on TV. My opinion, if this was possible, everything should have been switched around. The Panther logo at center ice should have been reversed, and the TV cameras should have been on the other side, like they have in Edmonton. That would have at least taken that awful view of empty seats out of the picture. I think the idea of Club Dead is OK, but its something that should have been done after this team made the playoffs a few more times, and created more of a ticket priority in the area.

As far as the team goes, we are really going to suffer because of injuries, not because we lack talent. We have a good team, and I think if everyone was healthy, we would be in a different situation, but when you are missing the amount of regulars we are missing, in a shortened season, its really hard to mask.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:52 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Yormark should have known what type of affect Club Dead would have on the way the team was presented on TV. My opinion, if this was possible, everything should have been switched around. The Panther logo at center ice should have been reversed, and the TV cameras should have been on the other side, like they have in Edmonton. That would have at least taken that awful view of empty seats out of the picture. I think the idea of Club Dead is OK, but its something that should have been done after this team made the playoffs a few more times, and created more of a ticket priority in the area.

As far as the team goes, we are really going to suffer because of injuries, not because we lack talent. We have a good team, and I think if everyone was healthy, we would be in a different situation, but when you are missing the amount of regulars we are missing, in a shortened season, its really hard to mask.
Does everyone know that the original plans of including the "upper lower section" of club dead was scrapped due to poor sales and they went to a contingency of ropes etc to keep that section from crossing into club dead?

My problem is not the idea of elite seats my problem is retro fitting, displacing our loyalists of fans, and borrowing $$ to do same.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:58 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Does everyone know that the original plans of including the "upper lower section" of club dead was scrapped due to poor sales and they went to a contingency of ropes etc to keep that section from crossing into club dead?

My problem is not the idea of elite seats my problem is retro fitting, displacing our loyalists of fans, and borrowing $$ to do same.
That money they "borrowed" should have been to enhance to experience of the fan, meaning a new damn scoreboard. Its not a terrible idea, it was just terribly planned and completely wrong at this time for so many reasons. I also find it ridiculous that some of the teams most loyal fans had to be moved because of it, and that is the worst of it all!

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Gordonx11

You know sometimes you guys are too much, lol. Yes i understand we've been playing some **** hockey as of late, but to talk about getting a top 5 draft pick 4 games into the season lol. We cant expect to much when you have Santorelli on the first line.

Our players are getting healthy Weiss, Versteeg, Goc, and Guds will all be returning in a week at the max. The only one we really dont know what the hell is going on with is Bergie.

We just need to have a little pride and believe in our team.

Gordonx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:05 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonx11 View Post
You know sometimes you guys are too much, lol. Yes i understand we've been playing some **** hockey as of late, but to talk about getting a top 5 draft pick 4 games into the season lol. We cant expect to much when you have Santorelli on the first line.

Our players are getting healthy Weiss, Versteeg, Goc, and Guds will all be returning in a week at the max. The only one we really dont know what the hell is going on with is Bergie.

We just need to have a little pride and believe in our team.
Your in the wrong thread, join me in the optimists 5 in 4 thread

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:15 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

I think a disaster of a 48 game season-one of which I completely wrote off circa November 2012-could be one the biggest blessings in disguise for this team in the long run.

I think one more top 5 draft pick would put this team over the edge in terms of greatness in the next decade to come.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:45 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I think a disaster of a 48 game season-one of which I completely wrote off circa November 2012-could be one the biggest blessings in disguise for this team in the long run.

I think one more top 5 draft pick would put this team over the edge in terms of greatness in the next decade to come.
I actually don't necessarily disagree with this. Especially because we finally got that playoff drought over with. We experienced it, and can become regulars starting next year. I'd love to get back there, but if we got a high draft pick, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:13 PM
johano90

Honestly, I'm a pretty optimistic guy, but it's hard to remain optimistic after two of the last three games were the worst Panthers hockey I have ever seen. Like the OP said, ineptitude does not equal outcome, we've lost a lot of games before, we've had longer losing streaks, lost by bigger margins, etc. but I've never seen us play worse hockey. I've been a season ticket holder for the past 10 years, so trust me, I've seen it all... The games in Ottawa and Montreal were just absolutely atrocious. Maybe it's an expectations thing, who knows? Where, as a suffering Panthers fan, given a little bit of hope after a solid season, we expect that hey, maybe they can get a few shots on goal during a five minute powerplay or an extended 5 on 3... but no, they disappoint yet again...

So I think we're in a good place now, expectations wise at least. Now that my expectations for this team have been thoroughly reset and I am anticipating the worst out of this lineup, they've set the stage for positive surprises. I didn't expect us to open 4-0 and it's honestly not that big of a deal being 1-3, if we had lost the games in a hard fought manner where we actually played solid hockey. That just didn't exist. If it was as simple as shipping a player or two and changing the attitude of this team, I'd do it, but I don't think that it is...

johano90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Columbus is doing better than us in a tougher conference. If we trade some players around the deadline, we're going to be pretty awful.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:33 PM
M A K A V E L I*

Would a certain Italian goalie help out with the doom and gloom?

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Jose Theodore is playing like an all-star right now. Unless luongo could put up 40 goals and 40 assists, no he wont help.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Doom and gloom is only for this season. The future looks bright, especially with that top-3 pick this summer.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Barkov sounds good to me.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Read the original post....

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
With the plethora of injuries and the lackluster play from the skaters, only Theodore's stellar play has kept this (IMO) from being the worst Panthers team I have ever seen take the ice
So in short, no.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Nooo. Luongo is for a team that is one player away from winning a cup. We are not that, not yet. Unless you want to give him up for free . How about we keep our assets and you keep Lu.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote