HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center Ice & Gamecenter Live Q&A Thread

Old
01-23-2013, 12:19 AM
bucks_oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
You won't get all the televised games. You will find plenty of them are blacked out. If I am paying to watch the games, I want to watch the games I want to watch. Not the ones the NHL and their cable partners have decided I can watch.

Edit: Just noticed your country. It might be a good deal for you, but it certainly wouldn't be a good deal for me living in Edmonton.
Write a letter to NHL.com. I've been doing it yearly. My argument: I'm actually paying you for something I could steal online.... do the right thing and cut out the middle man who forces me to buy extra copyrights to shows I don't watch, just so I can get NHL coverage.

Cable subscriptions are going the way of the dodo bird. All TV execs know it. They would be wise to start offering medium-restricted exclusivity, instead of outright, no-exceptions, exclusivity. The future is exclusive subscriptions/pay-per-use and OTA HD.

We all remember the Napster days, where so many of us stole music cuz we wanted to buy per-song. itunes came out at a fair price and the problem went away.

Live sports are treading a very dangerous line. And I would argue could make a tonne of money by eliminating the term "blackout", and just selling direct to the consumer, plus a few OTA HD deals with the major broadcasters on the side.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:26 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
I bought gamecenter and I am loving it. For anyone having blackout problems I suggest Hotspot shield or a VPN if you are on a pc. I was able to watch both the Calgary game and Oilers game from Calgary with Gamecenter. I use Hotspot shield (you can google how to get rid of ads from the free version, was fairly easy.) I couldn't take the choppyness and poor quality from other online streams anymore.
Oddly enough tunnelling and VPNs that put your IP out of market are "illegal".

But more importantly, you are still paying NHL and rewarding their exclusive licensing/blackout policy.

They are in cahouts with the same cable companies that limit your bandwidth to prevent Apple TV, Hulu and others from snatching their market share (from their hopelessly dated business model).

If you are going to tread into a legal grey area, pay somebody for online steaming of games that offers good quality and does not blackout any games.... money talks.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:47 AM
bucks_oil

And just cuz I'm on a roll and still annoyed by that game....

I've paid the NHL over a thousand dollars for CI/GCL subscriptions over the years. And I'm willing to pay them thousands more over my lifetime.

But why would I ALSO pay cable TV companies $75/month, for a bundling of copyrighted media I have no interest in JUST so I could watch hockey?

I could pay $60/year for whatever two programs I *must* watch (currently MadMen & SOA) + 200 for GCL + free over the air HD and be perfectly legal... and feel good about it, paying more directly to the copyright holders that are creating/funding/producing the content I want.

I work in an intellectual property based industry... I get it... I value it. That's why I'm done paying coax cable and copper wire companies for anything other than the value they offer me... BANDWIDTH and nothing more.

They better get their act in gear. Bundled copyrights are a thing of the past. There are only three value-added revenue streams in that industry: i) bandwidth ii) copyright license payments, iii) advertising dollars.

Over-reaching is just going to encourage the wrong type of behaviour.

Old
01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
dsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
Just get Ultrasurf and you'll be able to catch blackedout games.
This. And it's also free, I'm surprised it actually works (tonight's Toronto TSN game is actually working now). Hell, even Hulu works.

EDIT: It actually causes the video to stutter more than other services like HideMyNet.

Last edited by dsi: 01-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.
dsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
ekcut
Golden Ticket Winner

Send a message via MSN to ekcut
I have Gamecentre and love it.
Only problem my xbox skips on occasion. I will try the "30 second fix" mentioned by an earlier poster who is wise beyond their years. On pc, laptop, iphone it works great with no complaints at all. I would have paid 4x's as much.

I have heard unblock-us can get around the blackout and also get's you netflix usa, which is far superior to netflix canada. $5/mon without a hint of slowing your connection....or so I have heard.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:01 AM
CantHaveTkachev
Year 108

vCash: 314
anybody tried Gamecenter on PS3?

I tried logging in and it's telling me they need to update their app which is "coming soon"
that was on Sunday
anybody have it working yet?

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 11:09 AM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

I use GCL on BB playbook which is flash based then connect to TV with hdmi cable.
Works beautifully.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:17 PM
ToothlessAggression

Any idea why I was able to watch the Oilers/kings game 3 hours after completion, yet I can't watch the Jets/Pens games which ended like 12 hours ago?

ToothlessAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
ToothlessAggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothlessAggression View Post
Any idea why I was able to watch the Oilers/kings game 3 hours after completion, yet I can't watch the Jets/Pens games which ended like 12 hours ago?
Uh, now I can't watch that Oilers/Kings game a day and a half later, even though I could 3 hours later.

ToothlessAggression is offline   Reply With Quote