HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Terminate Hovinen's Contract (claimed by Edmonton Oilers, per D. Dreger)

Old
01-25-2013, 04:41 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I've seen him in two games last yr and one so far this yr. I'm no expert but from what I've seen, read and his stats I think he would be at least an NHL caliber back-up. At one point many considered him to be a future starter w/ bob pushing him for a spot. Since not getting a contract all he has done is perform at an elite level in one of the top leagues in europe. Here are his numbers the past two yrs:

2011-12 33GP 1.73GAA .935SV%
2012-13 24GP 1.71GAA .931SV% (season not over yet)

here are Lundqvist's numbers from his last 2 yr in the SEL (as a 21-23yo which just so happens to be Sunshines age in the seasons listed above) before making the jump to the NHL.
200304 48 GP 2.17GAA .927SV%
200405 44GP 1.79GAA .936SV%

i'm not saying he's anywhere near Lundqvist's level or that he could potentially be even but as of right now he's a top 3 goalie easy in he SEL. That has to be worth something.

Given the flyers previous track records with goalies why is it out of the realm of possibility that the organization could have made a mistake? Sure he's no guarantee but almost anybody with any sort of insight into the situation didn't understand the Hovinen signing over Sunshine. Again there could very well be a reason that we are not aware of but from what we do know he'll easily be the best goalie in our system behind Bryz if he were signed right now.

And once more Bob wasn't drafted or signed until a couple months before his 22 birthday and he was in a higher profile league. Fine I will not say they made a mistake and I never did but I've seen you question repeatedly why many of us want the Flyers to offer him a contract. The reason is simple and has been stated numerous times.
And I understand all that. I never said the guy stinks and will never amount to anything. I'm simply saying to act like the Flyers dropped the ball on this is silly. They can sign him today, tomorrow, or the next day. They choose not to, just like every other organization in the league. No mistake has been made. If he gets signed and turns out to be something good, then you can call it a mistake. But until then the people who apparently are better scouts than the Flyers and other teams shouldn't be calling anyone out for making mistakes. Maybe you personally never called it a mistake, but plenty of people on here have.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 04:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
The Flyers bought into the size aspect of Hovinen. At 6'7, I can understand why you'd want to give someone like that a chance. My thinking is, if they wanted someone like that, St. Louis had no choice but to move Ben Bishop, so why not go after someone like that? A big guy (6'6) who has a history of being good at every level he's played at. That's what bugged me the most about the Hovinen signing - with the exception of two seasons, he was TERRIBLE at every level he ever played at in Finland.

In comparison, Ericsson had one bad year and his worst year was about as good as Hovinen's better years and the Flyers all but ignored Ericsson.

As for Ericsson demanding that he wanted to play only in Philadelphia, it simply isn't true. His desire was to come over to North America because he wanted to play, get acquainted with the ice surfaces and then challenge for the starter position. He had no problems being assigned to the AHL.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:56 PM
turkinaa

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one thing about Eriksson that they (the Flyers) didn't like was his choice to be put in a back-up type role with little improvement over his previous year's stats. I never thought it was him not wanting to play over here, but that he still needed time over there. Then Leights came in and showed that for a brief period of time that large goalies can play without much skill and that going for Hovinen would be better than re-signing Eriksson (which also plays into them drafting Stolarz).

I still have hopes that Eriksson will come back because I really liked what I saw from him during the camps and he's still young enough to get adjusted to an NHL setting. I'm not saying that he's the holy grail of goalies or anything like that, just that it can't be worse than some of the goalies we have had play for us recently or the way we manage them.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one thing about Eriksson that they (the Flyers) didn't like was his choice to be put in a back-up type role with little improvement over his previous year's stats. I never thought it was him not wanting to play over here, but that he still needed time over there. Then Leights came in and showed that for a brief period of time that large goalies can play without much skill and that going for Hovinen would be better than re-signing Eriksson (which also plays into them drafting Stolarz).

I still have hopes that Eriksson will come back because I really liked what I saw from him during the camps and he's still young enough to get adjusted to an NHL setting. I'm not saying that he's the holy grail of goalies or anything like that, just that it can't be worse than some of the goalies we have had play for us recently or the way we manage them.
I don't know the reason that Ericksson wasn't re-signed (or if one was even ever given). But the way I look at it is that they simply didn't think he was worth a contract. If he was, they would have offered him one. It wasn't "Hovinen is better, let's get him and screw Ericksson." It was a conscious decision to let him walk. If they thought he was good enough, they would have made room one way or another back when they let him walk, or offered him a contract sometime down the road. They haven't because they don't think he is worth it. It isn't a real hard concept.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:16 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know the reason that Ericksson wasn't re-signed (or if one was even ever given). But the way I look at it is that they simply didn't think he was worth a contract. If he was, they would have offered him one. It wasn't "Hovinen is better, let's get him and screw Ericksson." It was a conscious decision to let him walk. If they thought he was good enough, they would have made room one way or another back when they let him walk, or offered him a contract sometime down the road. They haven't because they don't think he is worth it. It isn't a real hard concept.
good one

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:21 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

29 other teams also agreed with the Flyers that he isnt worth an NHL contract

but I'm sure the experts here on HFBoards know better than every scout in the NHL

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:26 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

but I'm sure the experts here on HFBoards know better than every scout in the NHL
So, when Read was signed last summer, and only a few teams were interested in him, (like 3) since the odds were against us does that mean we were wrong? Since you know, 27 teams thinking he wasnt worth it is better then 3 teams. They must of known something better right?

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:

Exactly. I made this point a while ago in another thread. Everyone looks at the numbers and yeah they're good, but people don't acknowledge that the SEL is a very low scoring league and he plays on one of the better teams in the league.

I also look at the fact he hasn't really been picked for international competition outside of 1 EHT game last season. He was selected to the U-18 team but did not play (understandable as Markstrom was the guy)and then was passed over the next two years for the U20 team. Not the end of the world, but not exactly the pedigree of a can't miss guy some proclaim him to be. International competition isn't the end all argument, but it goes to show he isn't exactly held in high regard in his home country.

Surprised people aren't saying the Flyers let Jakub Kovar get away too.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 10:56 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So, when Read was signed last summer, and only a few teams were interested in him, (like 3) since the odds were against us does that mean we were wrong? Since you know, 27 teams thinking he wasnt worth it is better then 3 teams. They must of known something better right?
Again you're using an irrelevant argument. Read didn't have the exposure Eriksson has. Read was a 25 year old guy, who played at a small college, and wasn't even a PPG player his last year there. It's easy to see why he was overlooked.

Eriksson, on the other hand, was drafted as an 18 year old. Despite what you may think, the moment he was selected, he was on every NHL team's radar. When he went unsigned after posting a 2.40 GAA and .926 SV PCT stat line during the 2010 season, every NHL team took notice. They again passed over him in the subsequent draft. For comparison, Frederick Andersen did not come to agreement with Carolina this past summer after a great year with Frolunda and was picked by Anaheim in the 2012 draft. Statistically speaking, Eriksson has had two good years since he was passed over in the draft for a second time and still no team has signed him to an NHL contract. Surely the Flyers are the only team in the wrong here.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:00 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

i guess you also know the exact situation he's in. maybe he doesn't want to leave unless he's got a guaranteed job in the NHL. he's the starter for a good team in a top league in Europe. i guess it's not possible that we all just don't know the reason why he wasn't signed, it has to be that he's not worth it. if you think Heeter can go over sees and perform at the level Eriksson is after posting mediocre numbers in college then your kidding yourself. he's also 2 yrs older yet he was "worth" a contract. also keep in mind that bob wasn't drafted or signed until right before his 22 birthday. all 30 NHL teams passed him over in the draft multiple times.

btw, i also talked to bill meltzer yesterday about Eriksson cause he watches lots of Swedish hockey and he said that he's a good goalie with some small rebound issues and it's possible that the Flyers will have interest in him now that Hovinen is gone. i realize that really means nothing but he also didn't say flat out that no they won't have interest in him cause he's not worth it. just saying, you guys know just as much/little about the situation as the rest of us. yet you some how come to the conclusion that no NHL contract=not worth it as if no other capable player in the past hadn't receive a NHL contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Exactly. I made this point a while ago in another thread. Everyone looks at the numbers and yeah they're good, but people don't acknowledge that the SEL is a very low scoring league and he plays on one of the better teams in the league.

I also look at the fact he hasn't really been picked for international competition outside of 1 EHT game last season. He was selected to the U-18 team but did not play (understandable as Markstrom was the guy)and then was passed over the next two years for the U20 team. Not the end of the world, but not exactly the pedigree of a can't miss guy some proclaim him to be. International competition isn't the end all argument, but it goes to show he isn't exactly held in high regard in his home country.

Surprised people aren't saying the Flyers let Jakub Kovar get away too.
show me where someone said this. if this has ever been posted i've never laid eyes on it and that person would be very much in the minority.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:05 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Again you're using an irrelevant argument. Read didn't have the exposure Eriksson has. Read was a 25 year old guy, who played at a small college, and wasn't even a PPG player his last year there. It's easy to see why he was overlooked.

Eriksson, on the other hand, was drafted as an 18 year old. Despite what you may think, the moment he was selected, he was on every NHL team's radar. When he went unsigned after posting a 2.40 GAA and .926 SV PCT stat line during the 2010 season, every NHL team took notice. They again passed over him in the subsequent draft. For comparison, Frederick Andersen did not come to agreement with Carolina this past summer after a great year with Frolunda and was picked by Anaheim in the 2012 draft. Statistically speaking, Eriksson has had two good years since he was passed over in the draft for a second time and still no team has signed him to an NHL contract. Surely the Flyers are the only team in the wrong here.
But does that really consider them wrong? Just because he is passed over in the next draft DOES NOT mean he wasnt wanted by anybody. This past summer, I remember the Leafs and a few other teams were rumored to be interested in him. He didn't sign with anybody. I don't know the reason why, but it goes to show teams most likely wanted to wait an extra season before signing him to a deal. It doesn't mean he sucks, or doesn't want to play over here. He himself stated he wanted to play in the NHL. Maybe he wants to be a backup automatically. Maybe he doesnt. We don't know that.

What we do know is that the Hovinen experiment failed, and some of us would have rather tried the Eriksson experiment. Obviously this is a message boards so we don't know the true reason behind everything, but with the facts that only we see, that's my logical explanation.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
good one
Ok let me rephrase it. I don't know the reason they don't think he is worth a contract. But I think it is pretty clear that the fact that they have not offered him a contract, you know, since the day they drafted him, shows that they do not think he is worth a contract.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:28 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
If you want to say that the other teams that didn't sign Matt Read made a mistake, that is 100% completely legitimate argument because he is currently playing well in the NHL. The NHL teams interested in him clearly knew something the others didn't. That is fine. That happens all the time. But Ericksson remains overseas with no NHL contract and only the fanboys on HFBoards are complaining about his lack of signing. Those two scenarios are not equal. Again, if he signs somewhere and plays someday in the NHL, then you can talk about what a mistake it was and how you all knew better than the Flyers. But right now, there is no mistake to speak of and not even an indication at this point that it will ever be a mistake.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Ok let me rephrase it. I don't know the reason they don't think he is worth a contract. But I think it is pretty clear that the fact that they have not offered him a contract, you know, since the day they drafted him, shows that they do not think he is worth a contract.
And they could certainly be wrong about giving Hovinen a contract over Erikkson, since Erikkson has had more success at every level and Hovinen's only "merit" is a similarity to Leighton, whom the Flyers have an irrational love affair with. For all we know, Erikkson might have developed into something if we gave him the opportunity Hovinen had. Since, you know, Erikkson is generally recognized as a superior goalie. They gave the opportunity to the wrong guy.

01-26-2013, 11:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
And they could certainly be wrong about giving Hovinen a contract over Erikkson, since Erikkson has had more success at every level and Hovinen's only "merit" is a similarity to Leighton, whom the Flyers have an irrational love affair with. For all we know, Erikkson might have developed into something if we gave him the opportunity Hovinen had. Since, you know, Erikkson is generally recognized as a superior goalie. They gave the opportunity to the wrong guy.
I don't think they necessarily chose one over the other. They could have easily had both of them under contract but they only signed one. And just because Ericksson COULD have developed into something here doesn't mean anything. If we are dealing with what COULD have happened, then it was a great choice because Hovinen COULD have also developed into something. But he didn't. Just like right now, Ericksson is nothing more than a 22 year old playing in Sweden without an NHL contract.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
I don't think they necessarily chose one over the other. They could have easily had both of them under contract but they only signed one. And just because Ericksson COULD have developed into something here doesn't mean anything. If we are dealing with what COULD have happened, then it was a great choice because Hovinen COULD have also developed into something. But he didn't. Just like right now, Ericksson is nothing more than a 22 year old playing in Sweden without an NHL contract.
As I recall, they were at the contract limit. They chose Hovinen over Eriksson (there wasn't room for both, because apparently they couldn't drop The Klotz), and were called out/doubted by a LOT of people.

I mean, let's consider the comparisons at the time. Hovinen was compared to Leighton; he recently had a flash in the pan season and his main skill was size. Eriksson was and is compared to Lundqvist. The Flyers, what with their unhealthy obsession with forcing a career minor leaguer to somehow finally stick in the NHL, decided to go with the guy similar to Leighton.

It reeks of the usual terrible goalie decisions made by our esteemed organization. I know that it's hard to develop franchise goalies and all, but they've struck out since the mid 80s. That goes beyond bad luck, and indicates something wrong with those making decisions. For perspective, we are scouting goalies now who weren't even alive the last time we managed to bring up our own franchise goalie; hell, their parents might have still been in high school. That's a really, really, long dry spell.

Hovinen is just another symptom of that illness. They go with him because he's similar to a career minor leaguer who had just put up average stats for under half a season...instead of going with the guy drawing comparisons to one of the best in the game then and now. It's just not a decision that gives you the best opportunity to succeed. Eriksson might have also turned out to be a bust, but at least he would have had a better chance...according to pretty much everyone acquainted with the two goalies. And, that's what it's all about...giving your team the best chance for success.

Damn, the same thing can be said for defense as well. These are the two things that are always haunting the team, and in nearly 3 decades (more for D) the organization can't manage to address this area where they're woefully behind the curve. It makes me sad.

Edit: you know, the fact that they couldn't drop one of the useless goon prospects to have two goalies at once really says a lot. Now I'm going from sad to mad.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
As I recall, they were at the contract limit. They chose Hovinen over Eriksson (there wasn't room for both, because apparently they couldn't drop The Klotz), and were called out/doubted by a LOT of people.

I mean, let's consider the comparisons at the time. Hovinen was compared to Leighton; he recently had a flash in the pan season and his main skill was size. Eriksson was and is compared to Lundqvist. The Flyers, what with their unhealthy obsession with forcing a career minor leaguer to somehow finally stick in the NHL, decided to go with the guy similar to Leighton.

It reeks of the usual terrible goalie decisions made by our esteemed organization. I know that it's hard to develop franchise goalies and all, but they've struck out since the mid 80s. That goes beyond bad luck, and indicates something wrong with those making decisions. For perspective, we are scouting goalies now who weren't even alive the last time we managed to bring up our own franchise goalie; hell, their parents might have still been in high school. That's a really, really, long dry spell.

Hovinen is just another symptom of that illness. They go with him because he's similar to a career minor leaguer who had just put up average stats for under half a season...instead of going with the guy drawing comparisons to one of the best in the game then and now. It's just not a decision that gives you the best opportunity to succeed. Eriksson might have also turned out to be a bust, but at least he would have had a better chance...according to pretty much everyone acquainted with the two goalies. And, that's what it's all about...giving your team the best chance for success.

Damn, the same thing can be said for defense as well. These are the two things that are always haunting the team, and in nearly 3 decades (more for D) the organization can't manage to address this area where they're woefully behind the curve. It makes me sad.

Edit: you know, the fact that they couldn't drop one of the useless goon prospects to have two goalies at once really says a lot. Now I'm going from sad to mad.
Hey man, they obviously saw something in THE KLOTZ that other teams didnt

Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Once you've got The Klotz it's hard to get rid of.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:20 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
But does that really consider them wrong? Just because he is passed over in the next draft DOES NOT mean he wasnt wanted by anybody. This past summer, I remember the Leafs and a few other teams were rumored to be interested in him. He didn't sign with anybody. I don't know the reason why, but it goes to show teams most likely wanted to wait an extra season before signing him to a deal. It doesn't mean he sucks, or doesn't want to play over here. He himself stated he wanted to play in the NHL. Maybe he wants to be a backup automatically. Maybe he doesnt. We don't know that.

What we do know is that the Hovinen experiment failed, and some of us would have rather tried the Eriksson experiment. Obviously this is a message boards so we don't know the true reason behind everything, but with the facts that only we see, that's my logical explanation.
If teams thought he was an NHL goaltender they would have at least taken a 7th round flyer on him to secure his rights. All 30 teams chose not to.

I was optimistic about Hovinen. It didn't work out. I don't think it was a lack of skill, it was a matter of will apparently. I don't think it was a Hovinen vs. Eriksson scenario people make it out to be however. If they really thought enough of Eriksson they could have signed him instead of Heeter this past summer and they can still sign him the summer. They just don't think that highly of him and apparently they aren't the only team. He'll eventually get his chance if he keeps putting up numbers. Teams will be forced to find out if he's for real or not.
Quote:
show me where someone said this. if this has ever been posted i've never laid eyes on it and that person would be very much in the minority.
The way people criticize the Flyers about not signing the guy make it seem like we missed out on Patrick Roy or something. Let's face it, none of us have seen him play. We are just looking at his sparkling numbers.

And the contract situation is not an excuse. They could have signed him this offseason (they signed Heeter) and hell they can even sign him this year if they want. They won't.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:24 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
If teams thought he was an NHL goaltender they would have at least taken a 7th round flyer on him to secure his rights. All 30 teams chose not to.

I was optimistic about Hovinen. It didn't work out. I don't think it was a lack of skill, it was a matter of will apparently. I don't think it was a Hovinen vs. Eriksson scenario people make it out to be however. If they really thought enough of Eriksson they could have signed him instead of Heeter this past summer and they can still sign him the summer. They just don't think that highly of him and apparently they aren't the only team. He'll eventually get his chance if he keeps putting up numbers. Teams will want to know if he's for real or not.

The way people criticize the Flyers about not signing the guy make it seem like we missed out on Patrick Roy or something. Let's face it, none of us have seen him play. We are just looking at his sparkling numbers.

And the contract situation is not an excuse. They could have signed him this offseason (they signed Heeter) and hell they can even sign him this year if they want.
i've seen him play. only a few times via online stream but i have nonetheless.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:25 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
i've seen him play. only a few times via online stream but i have nonetheless.
Okay

Old
01-26-2013, 12:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

You're basing your whole argument on the fact that Ericksson maybe might have could have turned out better. Once again, I have to point out that he entered the draft after the Flyers didn't sign him. No one bit. He is currently a free agent and has been for at least a year (I don't remember when he was officially a free agent) and no one has signed him. Not only can the Flyers STILL sign him today. Right now. At this very second. But so can any other team in the NHL. Yet no one is. If ANY team in the NHL thought he had NHL potential, they'd try and sign him. Otherwise, what are you are telling me is that all these teams think he has potential, but would rather give out contracts to players that aren't as good as he is. Or, in the alternative, only the people on HFBoards can see his true potential.

I will eat my words the day this kid turns into something (hell I'll eat my words the day he steps foot on NHL ice), but I am 100% not going to call this a mistake because one time you read a Bill Meltzer blog that said he had NHL potential.

I mean in reality, answer this question. If this guy has the chops you folks are saying he has the potential to have, why isn't anyone signing him?

Old
01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
You're basing your whole argument on the fact that Ericksson maybe might have could have turned out better. Once again, I have to point out that he entered the draft after the Flyers didn't sign him. No one bit. He is currently a free agent and has been for at least a year (I don't remember when he was officially a free agent) and no one has signed him. Not only can the Flyers STILL sign him today. Right now. At this very second. But so can any other team in the NHL. Yet no one is. If ANY team in the NHL thought he had NHL potential, they'd try and sign him. Otherwise, what are you are telling me is that all these teams think he has potential, but would rather give out contracts to players that aren't as good as he is. Or, in the alternative, only the people on HFBoards can see his true potential.

I will eat my words the day this kid turns into something (hell I'll eat my words the day he steps foot on NHL ice), but I am 100% not going to call this a mistake because one time you read a Bill Meltzer blog that said he had NHL potential.

I mean in reality, answer this question. If this guy has the chops you folks are saying he has the potential to have, why isn't anyone signing him?
This isn't necessarily about whether one succeeds or not. It's about seeing your team make the decisions that give you the best CHANCE for success. It was pretty widely thought at the time we hadn't made the choice with the highest chance for success. It shows the organization's historically flawed approach towards goalies and goalie prospects remains alive and flawed.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
This isn't necessarily about whether one succeeds or not. It's about seeing your team make the decisions that give you the best CHANCE for success. It was pretty widely thought at the time we hadn't made the choice with the highest chance for success. It shows the organization's highly flawed approach towards goalie prospects remains flawed.
Answer these questions individually please:
Why are you saying that Ericksson gives you the best CHANCE to succeed?

If the Flyers didn't think he did, and no one else in the NHL thinks he does, why do YOU think he does?

Why aren't people signing him now?

Old
01-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Answer these questions individually please:
Why are you saying that Ericksson gives you the best CHANCE to succeed?
Because statistically, and according to those who had watched both at the time, Hovinen was more of a long shot/project than Eriksson.

Quote:
If the Flyers didn't think he did, and no one else in the NHL thinks he does, why do YOU think he does?
Surely, no other quality players have ever been overlooked by 29 other NHL teams. Surely, the Flyers have never made a mistake with goalies.

Quote:
Why aren't people signing him now?
Perhaps because it's far harder to break into the world of goaltending. There are far, far fewer spots for goalies than skaters. Most teams have their spots filled. Lots of those spots are filled with guys with more experience in NA hockey and don't require adjustment time. Maybe the teams that need more goaltending now, can't afford to waste time developing a prospect, and those content with their prospects don't feel the need to use a contract slot on one more...especially since those guys will all be fighting for ice time in their system. Even in the world of backup goalies, most teams will prefer someone washed up with established NA experience than someone fresh out of Europe but with more potential.

Answer me this: if your goalie cupboard is pretty much empty, does it make sense to go with the guy generally recognized as being more established and who has the better overall chance of success? Or does it make more sense to go with someone with less chance of success and a spotty record?