HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to part ways with Okposo?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
  #26
JTforPres2012
Registered User
 
JTforPres2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
I thought this is the best I've seen him as of late. He's busting his ass, diving for pucks and looks like he's finally found a rhythm out there.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
  #27
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,097
vCash: 500
Okposo has certain flaws as most players do. He has a lot in common with departed Blake Comeau except Comeau hit and was a better skater.
If Okposo has a certain market value that can return a similar aged roster player who would fit our needs better, than we should not hesitate. If that something needs a sweetener with Okposo (maybe Nino?) then the only question involved is value. No one should be asking to just ship him out for the sake of ridding ourselves of him. That is poor asset management that we cannot afford.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:11 AM
  #28
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
If Okposo is available i would sure hope Chevy would call you guys up! Kids a beast
KO's not a beast, but he is a 24 yr old core player, coming off a career high 24 goals.

His $2m salary makes it very unlikely he's moved since the Isles aren't looking for depth trades.

Some our fans were calling for Grabner to be dumped last summer. He'd had 34 goals 2 yrs ago, then slumped to 20 goals last season. I made the point, that Snow would show extra patience with inconsistent youngsters like Grabner+ KO because they are signed to such team friendly deals: $1m last season, $2m this season and $3m next season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:17 AM
  #29
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Okposo has certain flaws as most players do. He has a lot in common with departed Blake Comeau except Comeau hit and was a better skater.
If Okposo has a certain market value that can return a similar aged roster player who would fit our needs better, than we should not hesitate. If that something needs a sweetener with Okposo (maybe Nino?) then the only question involved is value. No one should be asking to just ship him out for the sake of ridding ourselves of him. That is poor asset management that we cannot afford.
When Comeau was dealt, he was coming off that 24 goal season in which he'd replaced the injured Okposo. He wanted a longterm deal but Snow wouldn't give it to him. He signed that 1 yr/ $2.5m deal and imo was pretty pissed at the organization.

I thought the reason the isles were willing to waive him was because he simply wasn't working hard, that the bad contract talks had played a role.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 11:49 AM
  #30
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
When Comeau was dealt, he was coming off that 24 goal season in which he'd replaced the injured Okposo. He wanted a longterm deal but Snow wouldn't give it to him. He signed that 1 yr/ $2.5m deal and imo was pretty pissed at the organization.

I thought the reason the isles were willing to waive him was because he simply wasn't working hard, that the bad contract talks had played a role.
Don't want to bring up the whole Comeau situation other than to point out that teams GM needs to trade player contracts to improve both talent level, suitablity for certain roles, and economic concerns. Ideally all three items are addressed satisfactorly.
Would PK Subban meet our organization needs if we could add him at the cost of Okposo? Not suggesting this trade, only as an example. Would what Subban brings us improve the team after eliminating Okposo's contributions? Can we more easily find a replacement for Okposo internally in the next 12-18 months more easily than finding a similar set of skills that Subban brings?
A lot of posters become emotionally attached to our home grown players and refuse to consider how the organization and future success of the team is effected (improved). This is a mistake, and I have done it myself.
KO is a trade chip. Every player is a potential trade chip except JT.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:01 PM
  #31
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Don't want to bring up the whole Comeau situation other than to point out that teams GM needs to trade player contracts to improve both talent level, suitablity for certain roles, and economic concerns. Ideally all three items are addressed satisfactorly.
Would PK Subban meet our organization needs if we could add him at the cost of Okposo? Not suggesting this trade, only as an example. Would what Subban brings us improve the team after eliminating Okposo's contributions? Can we more easily find a replacement for Okposo internally in the next 12-18 months more easily than finding a similar set of skills that Subban brings?
A lot of posters become emotionally attached to our home grown players and refuse to consider how the organization and future success of the team is effected (improved). This is a mistake, and I have done it myself.
KO is a trade chip. Every player is a potential trade chip except JT.
I'm not saying Okposo should be some untouchable.I disgree with the complaints in this thread that KO's playing soft or not trying hard.
Imo Comeau was upset over his contract and it carried over onto the ice. 0 pts in 16 games and a laid back effort soured the isles.


However, there isn't a play on the roster, I would not want traded in the right deal.

When Tavares name is bought up on the main trade board, I post that I'd love to have Stamkos for Tavares. I know that trade makes no sense for TB because Stamkos is the better scorer, but that's the type of return I'd want for Tavares.


As for KO, if Snow can find a trade for a young upgrade, using KO as the key trade chip, great. I just don't want young core players, moved in depth trades or moved because fans are giddy over kids in juniors or the AHL.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:23 PM
  #32
okie21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
In my opinion Kyle is going to be a solid 3rd line player who can chip in 20 goals and 40-45 pts. Many people thought or were hoping we drafted Jarome Iginla 2.0, but that may have been due to reasons other then style of play. Part of the problem with KO is the fans expectaions and teams limitations. The fans are/were hoping/expecting to be getting a 30+ goal 65-70pt player. The team is using him on the first line, not because he's a first line talent but because they don't currently employ first line talent other then JT. If the Islanders had a deep, talented roster similar to the Bruins and KO is playing on the 3rd line with players like Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly he would probably fit in perfectly and grow into the player his skill set is geared for. Putting him on the top lines and being upset at his lack of scoring is more of an orginizational issue then an Okposo issue if you ask me.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:35 PM
  #33
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
In my opinion Kyle is going to be a solid 3rd line player who can chip in 20 goals and 40-45 pts. Many people thought or were hoping we drafted Jarome Iginla 2.0, but that may have been due to reasons other then style of play. Part of the problem with KO is the fans expectaions and teams limitations. The fans are/were hoping/expecting to be getting a 30+ goal 65-70pt player. The team is using him on the first line, not because he's a first line talent but because they don't currently employ first line talent other then JT. If the Islanders had a deep, talented roster similar to the Bruins and KO is playing on the 3rd line with players like Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly he would probably fit in perfectly and grow into the player his skill set is geared for. Putting him on the top lines and being upset at his lack of scoring is more of an orginizational issue then an Okposo issue if you ask me.
When you say third line, do you mean as a top end checker? The biggest complaint with him ever since the big hit has been his piss poor physical game. That is a big minus for a checking line player.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
  #34
okie21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Coram, NY
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
When you say third line, do you mean as a top end checker? The biggest complaint with him ever since the big hit has been his piss poor physical game. That is a big minus for a checking line player.
I don't think his physical game is great but I do think he has a chance to grow into a very sound defensive player with solid positional skills. I think his work in the corners has improved and he has the ability to cycle the puck down low. Kyle has flaws that are draw backs for any line you put him on I guess but I do think he's going to be a solid player who you can trust on the ice and should be able to help on the PK. I could be wrong in my assment as Kyle is still a developing young player, but I think with the right players around him he could be well suited to become a heady 3rd line type on a contending team.

okie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:50 PM
  #35
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
I don't think his physical game is great but I do think he has a chance to grow into a very sound defensive player with solid positional skills. I think his work in the corners has improved and he has the ability to cycle the puck down low. Kyle has flaws that are draw backs for any line you put him on I guess but I do think he's going to be a solid player who you can trust on the ice and should be able to help on the PK. I could be wrong in my assment as Kyle is still a developing young player, but I think with the right players around him he could be well suited to become a heady 3rd line type on a contending team.
And I see him more as a 25 goal, 25-30 assist 2nd liner, who does the grunt work of aggressive puck pursuit.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
  #36
crashthenet
Registered User
 
crashthenet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hockey Falls
Posts: 3,726
vCash: 500
People are dissapointed when a player with his size doesn't bang. I think he's a servicable 2nd line forward who still needs to mature. I wouldn't trade him unless there was a player coming back that fills an immediate need.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:28 PM
  #37
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
People are dissapointed when a player with his size doesn't bang. I think he's a servicable 2nd line forward who still needs to mature. I wouldn't trade him unless there was a player coming back that fills an immediate need.
He has 10 lbs on Boyes and Tavares and is the same height. What am I missing? Not sure why people think Okposo is so 'BIG'.

Kyle always seems to take a beating on this board, Grabner was a victom of it last year too. Thank goodness he got off to a hot start or people would be screaming to ship him out for the first warm body that comes along too.

Last year I was more of a board watcher/lurker. This year I'm posting more. It took everything I had last year not to say 'Those that want to trade Grabner should have their posting rights rescinded'. I'm pretty much there with Okposo now too. It's silly talk.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
  #38
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,382
vCash: 500
Why don't we part with Tavares too since he's goalless this season and useless.


Okposo did score 24 goals last season.

He was 24G and 21A. Would I like to see more? Sure.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:52 PM
  #39
Pnut
Registered User
 
Pnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: w. suckic
Country: United States
Posts: 7,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Okposo scored more goals last year than Aucoin, mcDonald, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Martin have their whole career, combined.

Let's not pretend the NYI are a team that can afford to lose proven NHL players.

Sure, he's not Iginla, but he's not Pandolfo or Reasoner or Rolston either
/end thread

Red Bull said it
Kyle is getting his grove and is going to be a 20-30 goal scorer (in the best league in the world), that does things that don't always show up on the score card. We need guys that play a different role. Not everyone can be Tavares or Hamonic. Good teams role 4 good lines that know their roles (Just like the Rock taught us 10 years ago ). It looks like we might have the start of a good combo of 2nd and 3rd lines. JT and Moulson get the rust off....and we find a way to get rid of Reasoner, Finley we MIGHT have something special.

I still say at 2-2-0 this team makes the playoffs.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 03:35 PM
  #40
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,051
vCash: 500
Okposo is on a line he shouldn't be on.

But he is absolutely on the team he should be on. Get him to the 2nd line by buying/developing a 1st line RW and he'll be considered a really good 2nd line wing. He's the least of our problems, and I don't get why so many of you are getting all over him 3 games into the seaosn.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 04:53 PM
  #41
Otto91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I think he needs a change of scenery and considering Strome and Nino will be here sooner then later i just feel maybe in his and our best interests to find a way to move him. He plays very soft and just looks lost most of the time. I hate giving up on a guy this early but i just see it never happening here for him..Thoughts?

Agree.....Don't want to wait on this to long.....I would deal him and The MIA Vish....to Habs for PK.....and a a minor player......or pick


Want to see Nino.....ASAP with JT & MM

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
  #42
Beastrt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post


Want to see Nino.....ASAP with JT & MM
This would not work who is gonna pass to JT? Himself?

Beastrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
  #43
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,103
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
First i want to say this is my opinion and second i did not go on a rant that he sucks and after reading most of the comments i think maybe i'm in the wrong. Maybe i expected Jerome Iginlia and tht's not the player he is so my view is clouded hence why i posted what do you think because i wanted others opinions and i dont want to use him as a whipping boy. I do not know it all and that's why i brought up this thread to see if it was something i was seeing/feeling and in this case i must agree again i probably expected to much from him and i was thinking he was going to become JI 2.0. I would much rather ask questions about somebody with more knowledge than i, rather then be ignorant and just ass/u/me i know what i'm talking about so my next goal is to watch him a little more closely and understand he is a very good player just as not as great as i hoped he would be but again that's my fault and i appreciate all of your input.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
  #44
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,917
vCash: 500
Two things:
1) As always, what is the return on KO? That is a big factor. Who and/or what draft picks are the Isles getting. Can't talk about moving KO without talking about what he'll fetch.

2) If he's still stagnant (I like that word to describe his growth)...if he's still...if we are still waiting for him to come out of his shell at the end of this season then maybe, but definitely one calendar year from now, then yes, I'd shop him...

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
  #45
Brain Hemorrhage
Registered User
 
Brain Hemorrhage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:11 of OT View Post
There is no reason to look to move KO at this point. His game is sound and he does not look lost as some have said. The one thing that I think he needs to work on is his conditioning. I am not sure what he did in the extended off-season, playing or working out, but it is clear that he gets winded more than almost any other player on the ice. That may be a combination of poor conditioning and trying to do too much on each shift, but if you look at him versus JT after each shift, KO looks like he is going to collapse while JT looks ready for his next shift.
Bingo. Kyle averages about 1 minute of ice time per shift, and only the best players who are well conditioned tend to play well after 40 seconds:

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2010/...h-shift-length

I hope he can start taking shorter shifts once Joensuu and Bailey return, because consistently taking 60+ second shifts is a big problem for his game. You especially saw it in the third period last night vs. the Bruins. I was there, Loge12, Row 7, Seat 10 (literally, center ice, 5 rows behind the sin bin). He was buzzing the first two periods and was getting a lot of jam along the boards against players like Chara who I expected to knock him off the puck. But he was battling, and probably our best player along the boards the whole game. But his overall play faded in the third, as did our other players, especially after the back-to-back with Toronto. But we also let Toronto back into the game in the third.

The combination of better conditioning and shorter shifts will really boost his game. It will be interesting to track how well he does there as the game/season goes on.

I partially place the blame on Capuano, and partially place it on Tavares, and partially place it on Snow & Wang & the decrepit Coliseum for not having/attracting depth players that would allow us more balanced line rolling.


Last edited by Brain Hemorrhage: 01-26-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Brain Hemorrhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 08:17 PM
  #46
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Can I please see this line at least for 20 games before you get rid of Okposo, and perhaps Bailey as well.... Just 20 games and then you can have your way with them.. Promise!


Bailey - Tavares - Okposo
i would love to see bailey and tavares on a line but i dont think it happens unless something happens to moulson

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:00 AM
  #47
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,792
vCash: 500
Kyle is the new PA.. The "whipping Boy" for this year. It would have been Grabs if he didn't kick early ass this year.

We need a few key players to be a contender.

1. A real first line right wing
2. A real top 2-4 Dman
3. A solid second line center

Once that's done, we're set. We may need a goalie because I don't know how much longer Nabs can keep playing like he does. I say 1-3 more years.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:29 AM
  #48
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
I make it a rule not to give up on people coming off CAREER YEARS...

Or is that quickly forgotten? If he pulls a Blake Comeau...sure...but let's actually wait until that happens. Why is Comeau scoring 20 goals a reason to celebrate and Okposo scoring 24 means time for a change in scenery?

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 07:43 AM
  #49
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I make it a rule not to give up on people coming off CAREER YEARS...

Or is that quickly forgotten? If he pulls a Blake Comeau...sure...but let's actually wait until that happens. Why is Comeau scoring 20 goals a reason to celebrate and Okposo scoring 24 means time for a change in scenery?


I think Matt Martin scored his goal in the TB game. In that thread, we had fans calling for Martin to be placed in Okposo's spot next to Tavares.

Now, I love Martin's hardnose style, but there is nothing that I've seen from Martin, to indicate he's got the potential to be a 25 goal scorer at the NHL level.

I'm gonna guess that the OP with the screen name MattMartin, was one of those calling for the two to flip spots.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:17 AM
  #50
Otto91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Replace Okposo with Nino? You are aware they play different positions, right? You are also aware that Nino is the guy asking for a trade, right? You are aware that Kyle is the guy that wants to be here long term and signed a long term(ish) deal that works economically, right? You are aware that Okposo is one of about 4 players in the organization that is a true Right Winger and has a right handed shot, right? Also you do know that this is the Islanders, right? When did we become such a power house that we can just ship out 23 year old first round draft picks that score at 20-25 goals per year pace because they have 2 points after 4 games?

In Nino's next 200 NHL games, he is going to have to score 67 goals to catch Kyle's production at the same point in their career. Hope it happens, and I hope Kyle is still his teammate at that point.


Answer: Yes Replace KO with Nino

Last Time I looked They both are playing right wing!

Nino wants out because he believes he is ready for The bigs and was not even invited to the 1 week camp.

KO is a drifter....he is weak on the puck and loses it to often.....


Fact is KO needs a change....He is not a first line winger...it is that simple

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.