HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Time to start Ellis

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 10:52 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyduck View Post
As good as Ellis was tonight, Ward was also great last night he just had three unlucky goals scored on him. I wouldn't say that about the first two games in which many of the goals were his fault. But, at least last game, Ward did his job.
I'm not saying Ward wasn't good in the first Buffalo game. I'm arguing that Ellis has played his way INTO another start, not that Ward has played his way out of. The model could be St Louis last year, where both goalies were hot and split the starts near 50/50.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Ugh, don't get me started on the Blues. 13 and 14 save shutouts? Hitchcock can sure coach them.

Hell, Peters would put up 920+ behind that system

Old
01-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Novacane
My Hero

They'll have to lessen the share of games this season for Ward based on the structure of the season, but I fully expect Ellis to only get starts either in a back-to-back scenario or a series of consecutive spread out games Ward. Ellis has shown he can stop good quality shots, but they need to play a better offense before donning Ellis the starter. Yes, I was impressed with him today, but Ward was impressive yesterday also. Anyways, isn't it nice to have two goalies who seem to be on?

Old
01-25-2013, 11:03 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Sooner or later you will slip up and log in to the wrong account on the wrong browser and all of your accounts will be banned. Personally, I would have gone with just two accounts instead of three. Much easier to keep up with.

Old
01-25-2013, 11:46 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
I'm all for having a good time and being hilarious, and these boards always bring that. But today it struck me that I haven't been in a legitimate hockey conversation on these boards in a VERY long time.
Yeah, this comment unfortunately hits close to home.

We have a good group here, with a clever and often cutting sense of humor. But the past couple seasons there have been a few too many "trolls" who are trying to make a thing out of being the funny guy who hates the team or makes the most outrageous comments. That stuff is funny in moderation, but it's starting to be more like amateur hour lately.

There is still good conversation to be had, but honestly enough is enough with the sideshows.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:06 AM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Now this thread is the most humorous thing I've read tonight. When I predicted that Ellis was going to be a solid backup, by no means was I inferring he would overtake Wardo. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, why not roll with a Gerber/Wardish duo like we did in 05-06?

As far as trolls go.. You gotta pay the toll to get in the boy's soul, you gotta pay the toll..(cueing Sunny fans).

Old
01-26-2013, 10:13 AM
geehaad

I don't know if this has been pointed out, but I think it's very possible that the Ward/Ellis dynamic is very similar to the Canes/Checkers dynamic, where the Checkers have been working at game speed for months, and the Canes are still catching up. I don't think it means that Ellis is better than Ward, I just think it means he's more ready for NHL play than Ward is.

But as Kevin said, Ward is still the guy that will take the team the furthest and the coaches have to be patient until he's back to 100%. Hopefully the win column doesn't suffer terribly while we wait for him to get back to game speed. And who knows, since Cam is a competitive guy, maybe watching Ellis perform as he did last night will serve to focus his attention a bit more quickly.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

We have a good group here, with a clever and often cutting sense of humor. But the past couple seasons there have been a few too many "trolls" who are trying to make a thing out of being the funny guy who hates the team or makes the most outrageous comments. That stuff is funny in moderation, but it's starting to be more like amateur hour lately.

There is still good conversation to be had, but honestly enough is enough with the sideshows.
Ya, honestly I just browse the boards nowadays to see the latest news. Don't bother posting much because it's become a bit too much of a constant jokefest.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Layn Dime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Ya, honestly I just browse the boards nowadays to see the latest news. Don't bother posting much because it's become a bit too much of a constant jokefest.
same here man

and while ellis played good i still think its cam's job to lose, just a bit early in the season IMO.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post

Yeah, pretty much to be a Canes fan you need to have a twisted sense of humor, but the whole having multiple/fake accounts and posting stuff constantly in every thread has been going overboard for awhile now. The occasional post or outrageous thread is fine, but there's a big difference between having an active GDT and one that is just full of garbage.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:34 AM
normalpsychology

vCash: 50
funny, anyone who shares a different opinion than the herd and it's baseless accusations of "multiple accounts" or "trolling". so afraid of having your own opinions challenged that you would rather alienate and silence those who dissent?

Old
01-26-2013, 11:37 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennay Kekua View Post
funny, anyone who shares a different opinion than the herd and it's baseless accusations of "multiple accounts" or "trolling". so afraid of having your own opinions challenged that you would rather alienate and silence those who dissent?
Yes, that's exactly what they were saying.

shakehead indeed

Old
01-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Opinions can't be wrong but they can be very stupid. Their is a reason Ellis is no longer a starter in this league. Did Cam struggle his first two games? Yes. Does that mean Ellis should get the bulk of the starts? no.

He's likely to start 15 games anyway so I don't see the issue in having faith in Ward for more then 2 games.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:42 AM
geehaad

Wait, I thought we were talking about these second and third accounts that are being used to push the envelope of rational thought...?

You know, like Evgeni's sister Michelle does.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Anton Antoff

The trend is your friend.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:13 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennay Kekua View Post
It's not about exchanges of opinion, it's about people trying to one-up each other's celebrity as the class clown.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
Off note: If we get a post deleted without infraction, a PM would be nice. Lets me know if my comment was deleted or if I simply failed to post it.

Thanks!

Old
01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Off note: If we get a post deleted without infraction, a PM would be nice. Lets me know if my comment was deleted or if I simply failed to post it.

Thanks!
done

Old
01-26-2013, 01:08 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioFisherman View Post
We don't know how Ellis will turn out in the long run,
Cam Ward: 28
Dan Ellis: 32

But yeah, sure, Ellis is the unproven one.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Fact is, Ellis even when he was a starter has never had the workload that Ward had and behind a better defense, Ellis lost his job and hasn't recovered since.

Ellis playing lights out will help in the long run but that doesn't mean he'll take over the starting job.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:49 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
... well this has taken a turn for the personal.

Closed Thread