HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 11:04 PM
sabrezombie

vCash: 500
http://wgr550.com/pages/15372180.php...entId=12270387

Ruff on Grigs tonight

Old
01-25-2013, 11:19 PM
jfb392

His shift length may have also had something to do with him sitting.
His seven shifts were as follows: 0:49, 0:59, 0:54, 1:14, 0:58, 0:46, 1:08.

Just about all of those are too long.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Kris Verstig
Some say...

Send a message via MSN to Kris Verstig
Question for all you Sabres fans about Grigorenko. There was a lot of talk about him being inconsistent/lazy taking shifts off etc. Was there any any truth behind this? You guys have been following him, has he been more consistent shift to shift in the Q this year? Has he been working hard shift to shift for Buffalo as well?

Old
01-26-2013, 10:16 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Verstig View Post
Question for all you Sabres fans about Grigorenko. There was a lot of talk about him being inconsistent/lazy taking shifts off etc. Was there any any truth behind this? You guys have been following him, has he been more consistent shift to shift in the Q this year? Has he been working hard shift to shift for Buffalo as well?
His work ethic has been good from everything I've seen and heard.

If it wasn't be wouldn't be getting a chance to center the 2nd line tomorrow.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

He looks very tentative in the offensive zone, many times when he was forechecking I thought he could get to the puck first on several occasions but stopped skating and let the defender move in front of him to get the puck.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:55 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
He looks very tentative in the offensive zone, many times when he was forechecking I thought he could get to the puck first on several occasions but stopped skating and let the defender move in front of him to get the puck.
I've noticed that as well.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:58 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Agreed. I think he's so scared to make a mistake and get caught deep he's playing tentative. Of course, him getting glued to the bench for an entire period will totally loosen that up.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:33 AM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

I understand Ruff believing that Grigs should not go up against Staal at this point. But if he wants to develop him he must let him play his game. Perreault, Housley, Patti were not defensive stalwarts and not asked to play that role when they joined the Sabres. They were encouraged to play their game and develop some defense.
Grigs is so worried about defence he does not play his game, they get stuck in their own end playing a zone defence and then he cannot get off the ice. My view any way as I have not gone down to see them live yet--only on tv.

Old
01-26-2013, 11:35 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
I understand Ruff believing that Grigs should not go up against Staal at this point. But if he wants to develop him he must let him play his game. Perreault, Housley, Patti were not defensive stalwarts and not asked to play that role when they joined the Sabres. They were encouraged to play their game and develop some defense.
Grigs is so worried about defence he does not play his game, they get stuck in their own end playing a zone defence and then he cannot get off the ice. My view any way as I have not gone down to see them live yet--only on tv.
What in the world do LaFontaine, Housley and Perreault have to do with Grigs's current situation or Lindy as a coach?

Old
01-26-2013, 11:37 AM
BuzzKillington90

Kinda funny ruff saying today he wasted one of grigs 5 games and may try to sit him tomorrow to get him more practice time

Old
01-26-2013, 11:40 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKillington90 View Post
Kinda funny ruff saying today he wasted one of grigs 5 games and may try to sit him tomorrow to get him more practice time
Where did he say this?

EDIT: Find a source for that statement or its getting deleted.

Last edited by joshjull: 01-26-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 11:59 AM
BrooklynBuffaloFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Where did he say this?

EDIT: Find a source for that statement or its getting deleted.
https://twitter.com/BNHarrington/sta...07366671073280

Mike Harrington ‏@BNHarrington

Lindy clearly regrets using Grigs last night, says he burned a game. "I like where this kid is going." #sabres

This is why people think Ruff is a bonehead.

1) If he needed more practice before he could play, why not sit him the first week, then start his 5-game clock now or next week? Instead you burned a bunch of games knowing that you're too scared to let him do anything, and because you said the goal is to "preserve the last game," it essentially puts him on a one-game trial the next time he gets in. But the point of the junior agreement is so he gets a full 5-game trial. Which you blew.

2) Why were you too scared to let him do anything in the first four games? Let the kid play. Other teams do it all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but if you can't handle managing a promising young player at a position of need, go away. This makes it obvious Ruff has no clue, no strategy, no plan.

Grigorenko could've been Matt Ellis the whole time and it wouldn't have changed any result. You would still be clueless on whether or not Grigorenko's good, you'd still have scoring depth issues, you'd still be 2-2.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:03 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBuffaloFan View Post

Lindy clearly regrets using Grigs last night, says he burned a game. "I like where this kid is going." #sabres

1) If he needed more practice before he could play, why not sit him the first week, then start his 5-game clock now or next week? Instead you burned a bunch of games knowing that you're too scared to let him do anything, and because you said the goal is to "preserve the last game," it essentially puts him on a one-game trial the next time he gets in. But the point of the junior agreement is so he gets a full 5-game trial. Which you blew.

2) Why were you too scared to let him do anything in the first four games? Let the kid play. Other teams do it all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but if you can't handle managing a promising young player at a position of need, go away. This makes it obvious Ruff has no clue, no strategy, no plan.

Grigorenko could've been Matt Ellis the whole time and it wouldn't have changed any result. You would still be clueless on whether or not Grigorenko's good, you'd still have scoring depth issues, you'd still be 2-2.
Thanks for the link.

I didn't see anything being said about Grigs needing more practice.

EDIT: Nevermind I went through Harrington's twitter and found it.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:06 PM
BrooklynBuffaloFan

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

EDIT: Nevermind I swent through Harrington's tweeter to find it.

Sorry, didn't realize they were in different tweets:

https://twitter.com/BNHarrington/sta...06499817504768

Old
01-26-2013, 12:07 PM
joshjull

Folks if you're going to post something that attributes comments to someone.

Then post a link to the comments.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

What a dinkus, should have sat him last night since he knew he wanted a better matchup against Staal

Old
01-26-2013, 12:42 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Only one line can score...bench scoring players - Jack Adams

Old
01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Well this is unpleasant as it basically implies he's not sure if he is keeping Grigorenko up or not. Lindy, this team needs guys who can play center. Don't do it man.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

EDIT: Nevermind I went through Harrington's twitter and found it.
i scrolled down looking for your lindy defense... it's been an hour, what gives?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Jame
Dream '16

i remember when this nonsense was going on here in tampa with stamkos...

melrose : "steven stamkos is not ready for the NHL"
ownership : "cool, you're fired"

please please please Terry!

no.. i am not making a stamkos/grigs comparison

just a comparison of dumb ass, egotistical, coaches... who somehow remained relevant years after riding the coattails of a generational talent

Old
01-26-2013, 01:52 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Lindy: I can take faceoffs, provide no offense, and I'm from North America. I'd be the ideal replacement

Old
01-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBuffaloFan View Post

Holy farking shyatt...and here I was last night, agitated but fairly calm about what I thought was a bad coaching move, reassured in the back of my head that Ruff had a bigger long term plan for Grigorenko. Well...this little tidbit kinda blows that right out of the water. Shall I post again (yet again) what I said a few weeks ago...

"I don't see much upside in the coaching staff being forced to groom a #1 center. I'm not very anti-Ruff, but I don't see him as knowing what do to with young, even elite, talent at the center position. He can coach up a bunch of grinders and defensive forwards, but getting the most out of young and offensive minded talent is probably not Ruff's best quality."

Old
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
kirby11

Lindy: He's one of 3 natural centers on your roster (Hodgson and ellis being the other two). He hasn't done anything spectacular, but he hasn't sucked either, and has made all of 1 truly bad play in his 4 (more like 3) games here. Do not send him back, please...unless doing so results in you getting fired. I could live with not having grigs up here this year if that was the result

Old
01-26-2013, 03:27 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKillington90 View Post
??!!??
What?

Big Ruff supporter but this is lunacy.
Reminds me of the Te'o situation; just keep making things worse instead of shutting your mouth and realizing / admitting you f*&!@ up.

Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 01-26-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
dugman

I don't find it surprising that Grigoenko has looked tentative... Basically, he has 5 games to show he belongs in the NHL, and if he fails to impress, it's back to riding buses in the Q, at a slightly lower pay scale. Of course the NHL team is in low scoring tie or one goal games (until the inevitable empty-net goal), so his ice time is limited. No pressure. I think, if they keep him here, we will see a different player.

Closed Thread