HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 01:05 PM
Chaz McNulty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
It's not really wishful thinking though. It happens every year. Teams need to make the playoffs for a variety of reasons. Every year we see GM's give up more then any of us would have thought. I don't think it's a bad play for Gillis to hold onto his cards until somebody feels the pressure.
As a prime example, just look what Boston gave up for Kaberle.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Chaz McNulty

MG is a financial guru. He knows that the supply is unlikely to grow during the season. He also knows that the demand is likely to grow.

The closer to the deadline he waits and the higher the demand, the more he will benefit.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz McNulty View Post
MG is a financial guru. He knows that the supply is unlikely to grow during the season. He also knows that the demand is likely to grow.

The closer to the deadline he waits and the higher the demand, the more he will benefit.
I would agree with the statement except I would give a lot of the credit to Laurence Gilman for the financial side / "capologist" and Gillis is the mastermind for Player Re-Signs / Negotiations.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:13 PM
luongo321

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz McNulty View Post

I wonder who would win in a poker match. Luongo or Gillis .... or Gilman?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
I wonder who would win in a poker match. Luongo or Gillis .... or Gilman?
Gilman hands down; Gillis' face goes beet-red in an interview so I don't know how much I trust his "poker face"

Old
01-26-2013, 01:16 PM
MikeK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Gilman hands down; Gillis' face goes beet-red in an interview so I don't know how much I trust his "poker face"
HAHA so true. Every time I see a close up of him in the box I think he's a heart attack in the waiting. Guy has no poker face at all.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Even with 1 he has more balls than the "sisters".
4 to 2 I make it, but hey let's not compare Art Ross winners who often dominate other teams with a decent but as yet not great goal scorer.in case you had 't noticed the Bruins are a great team, they let Kessel go for a reason.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:41 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Not with the contract Lu has.
Gaustad is not worth nearly as much as Luongo...

Old
01-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Fact: No team has ever won a Stanley Cup with Phil Kessel on their roster.
Kind of sucks for the Leafs.

Fact: No one has won a stanley cup with the Sedins...Burrows....Edler....Bieksa...Hamhuis...Ka ssian...Garrison...

Old
01-26-2013, 01:44 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Fact: No team has ever won a Stanley Cup with Phil Kessel on their roster.
Kind of sucks for the Leafs.

Fact: No team based in the province of B.C. has ever won the Stanley Cup.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:44 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
False.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Skead

Quote:
Yeah, I find it funny when Vancouver / Toronto fans get into pissing contests; Canucks haven't won a cup, and Toronto hasn't won one since there were only 6 teams in the league. Neither is exactly flattering.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:46 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_Millionaires

Old
01-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Nuckles
On the IR

Guys, it was just a joke. Chill out.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-26-2013, 01:51 PM
June 2007

Victoria Cougars won a cup too

Old
01-26-2013, 01:52 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Guys, it was just a joke. Chill out.
It was clearly a joke. Anyone who took it seriously has problems.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:54 PM
RECsGuy*

I know Luongo is saying all the right things and being a good teammate, but if Schneider runs away with the No. 1 job, I can't see a star player who's accustomed to starting being fine sitting on the bench until the trade deadline, all the while getting to play once a week and helping the efforts of a team he will be competing against down the line (especially if he lands on a playoff team).

Perhaps Bobby Mac's report about Roberto making his list longer than expected is Luongo's concession to Gillis: I give you more trading partners, and you shorten my stay on the bench (get me out of here quicker).

An NHL career is relatively short, and when you're 34 years old, still capable of starting yet supplanted as your team's No. 1, hearing your GM say he'll take his sweet time (perhaps waiting until the off-season, even) for the right offer can wear thin on you quickly.

The longer this trade takes, the shorter Roberto's list gets,the more sour the Luongo/Gillis relationship will turn and the more likely Roberto is waived and/or simply bought out this summer.

This is Drew Bledsoe-Tom Brady, Trent Green-Kurt Warner, Alex Smith-Colin Kaepernick.

Hoping Gillis does right by Luongo very soon for his service to the Canucks rather than burning a year of a career that only has a few productive years left in it.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
MikeK

When does Washington become a legitimate team with interest? Worst GAA in the league. The team has played like crap but their goalies have been flat out bad.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Moore Money

back on track:

Luongo for Kadri and Gardiner

Old
01-26-2013, 02:00 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
When does Washington become a legitimate team with interest? Worst GAA in the league. The team has played like crap but their goalies have been flat out bad.
Probably when they fix the rest of their problems.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
I know Luongo is saying all the right things and being a good teammate, but if Schneider runs away with the No. 1 job, I can't see a star player who's accustomed to starting being fine sitting on the bench until the trade deadline, all the while getting to play once a week and helping the efforts of a team he will be competing against down the line (especially if he lands on a playoff team).

Perhaps Bobby Mac's report about Roberto making his list longer than expected is Luongo's concession to Gillis: I give you more trading partners, and you shorten my stay on the bench (get me out of here quicker).

An NHL career is relatively short, and when you're 34 years old, still capable of starting yet supplanted as your team's No. 1, hearing your GM say he'll take his sweet time (perhaps waiting until the off-season, even) for the right offer can wear thin on you quickly.

The longer this trade takes, the shorter Roberto's list gets,the more sour the Luongo/Gillis relationship will turn and the more likely Roberto is waived and/or simply bought out this summer.

This is Drew Bledsoe-Tom Brady, Trent Green-Kurt Warner, Alex Smith-Colin Kaepernick.

Hoping Gillis does right by Luongo very soon for his service to the Canucks rather than burning a year of a career that only has a few productive years left in it.
Well Luongo has said what he has and that is all we have to go off of. Vancouver has also paid him a lot of money and still is, so I'm sure he feels some loyalty to the owners who gave him 10 million one year. He will be traded, but right now he does not have a choice and being a professional means to suck it up sometimes when things aren't going the way you want. Luongo is going to get starts, probably Sunday or Monday so it's not like he isn't going to play. Pretty sure by the deadline he will be traded for a good package. There will be so many teams close in the standings and at least a couple will be having goaltending issues as you are seeing now.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
Luongo is a top goalie but he just won't return the kind of prospects that are rumoured to be the asking price because of the limited teams that can get him. MG should ask for these players/prospects or he's not doing his job in trying to get the best return possible for the Canucks going forward but there comes a point where he can see he has to drop the asking price a bit to get it done. By all means play hardball right now but I think after 10-15 games luongo will start getting pissed because he's a number 1 that should be starting most games but that won't happen after seeing Schneider the last few games it looks like he's well past the opening night flop. The same names have come up from multiple sources that MG asked for Kadri,Bozak and a 2nd. The leafs clearly are not trading Kadri especially now watching him play. So we have Bozak,the 2nd and have to find the other pieces to go with it. It won't br Rielly or Gardiner but I'm sure something else could be worked out.
In general I agree with you, however, your ignoring Lou's No Trade clause, he might get irritated, but unless he waives his NT, the fault is his own, he is under contract and has no right to dictate to MG what the return is on any trade, only his destination. The Canucks can, but won't, let him rot in the AHL.
Canuck fans in general are delusional about what is going to come back, I think he will fetch a solid third liner or marginal second liner, unless more players go with him. If you doubt that look at the trade that brought him here or the Bure trade.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:09 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by June 2007 View Post
Victoria Cougars won a cup too
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopkins View Post
False.
Guess I should have been more clear: No NHL team based in the province of B.C. has ever won the Stanley Cup.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
In general I agree with you, however, your ignoring Lou's No Trade clause, he might get irritated, but unless he waives his NT, the fault is his own, he is under contract and has no right to dictate to MG what the return is on any trade, only his destination. The Canucks can, but won't, let him rot in the AHL.
Canuck fans in general are delusional about what is going to come back, I think he will fetch a solid third liner or marginal second liner, unless more players go with him. If you doubt that look at the trade that brought him here or the Bure trade.
If try to send him down someone would clam him off waivers and even if he did clear he would still count against the cap.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:12 PM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Probably when they fix the rest of their problems.
True. Although most teams can hide a lot of their shortfalls with great goaltending. I think Wash is a very real possibility.

Closed Thread