HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
luongo321

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
HAHA so true. Every time I see a close up of him in the box I think he's a heart attack in the waiting. Guy has no poker face at all.
When Schneider let in that 5th? goal vs. Anaheim, I've never seen MG chew his gum faster.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz McNulty View Post
MG is a financial guru. He knows that the supply is unlikely to grow during the season. He also knows that the demand is likely to grow.

The closer to the deadline he waits and the higher the demand, the more he will benefit.
Lol at calling Gillis a financial guru then spouting out high school economics to explain his tactics. What about Luongo's salary eating away at the owner's bottom line?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Fact: No one has won a stanley cup with the Sedins...Burrows....Edler....Bieksa...Hamhuis...Ka ssian...Garrison...
Wow lame trolling at it's best. Your facts are correct, but you ignore the fact the Bruins won the cup in 7 games against the injury riddled group (minus Garrison) listed above and had Seguin in their line up not Kessel.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
Lol at calling Gillis a financial guru then spouting out high school economics to back his point. What about Luongo's salary eating away at the owner's bottom line.
Aquilini loves Luongo. Plus we spend to the cap anyways.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:23 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Lol at calling Gillis a financial guru then spouting out high school economics to back his point. What about Luongo's salary eating away at the owner's bottom line.
how much of that salary was paid off with one Cup run to the finals? Given the extra revenue in the playoffs (which is considerably more than the regular season, considering that salaries are already paid, not to mention the huge increase in ticket prices at the same time), along with the revenue generated from marketing when you go on a run like that, I'm assuming that the owner's bottom line is just fine.

How much of the owner's bottom line is eaten away by a huge market team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs almost a decade?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:24 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Aquilini loves Luongo. Plus we spend to the cap anyways.
Still throwing money down the toilet. Regardless how you spin it the owner is financially better off without Luongo on the bench.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
CpatainCanuck

Proposal:

Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond

for

Alexander Ovechkin

Obviously not going to happen...but still something off the wall like this is a possibility.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

This thread has gone right down the drain, hopefully it gets cleaned up again.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
Guess I should have been more clear: No NHL team based in the province of B.C. has ever won the Stanley Cup.
Irrelevant, the last time Ottawa won a cup was at the beginning of the previous century, an d the Leafs haven't made the final since before the Canucks entered the league.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:28 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
how much of that salary was paid off with one Cup run to the finals? Given the extra revenue in the playoffs (which is considerably more than the regular season, considering that salaries are already paid, not to mention the huge increase in ticket prices at the same time), along with the revenue generated from marketing when you go on a run like that, I'm assuming that the owner's bottom line is just fine.

How much of the owner's bottom line is eaten away by a huge market team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs almost a decade?
Any revenue generated from the past has no influence on decisions made prospectively. Luongo helped generate playoff revenue a couple years ago, doesn't mean they should eat millions of dollars for the next 10 years.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:29 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
This thread has gone right down the drain, hopefully it gets cleaned up again.
Just gotta ride out another page and a half and we can start fresh

Old
01-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Still throwing money down the toilet. Regardless how you spin it the owner is financially better off without Luongo on the bench.
The Canucks would be financially better off by being a cap floor team. But we're not. We do whatever we can(within reason) to win. If Gillis says we have a better chance of getting a player who can push us over the top by waiting, then that's what we'll do. And we certainly won't trade him for something that doesn't help us at all.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
The Canucks would be financially better off by being a cap floor team. But we're not. We do whatever we can(within reason) to win. If Gillis says we have a better chance of getting a player who can push us over the top by waiting, then that's what we'll do. And we certainly won't trade him for something that doesn't help us at all.
Looks like the rust is starting to come off the Canucks... How great it is, that a #1 goalie isn't even playing on a given night... A top goaltender, ready to play, when and if needed... Gluttony...

So glad that Luongo is on the team... I hope that he can be sold to stay long term (as in, beyond this year)... Sell him the idea to stay with the Canucks, until Florida is ready for him...

Old
01-26-2013, 03:36 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
back on track:

Luongo for Kadri and Gardiner
It looks like this is pretty much the set price. It's too high for TO but I think Nonis and knows that if he wants the deal at any point he can have it.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Wow lame trolling at it's best. Your facts are correct, but you ignore the fact the Bruins won the cup in 7 games against the injury riddled group (minus Garrison) listed above and had Seguin in their line up not Kessel.
Okay, thinking you missed the sarcasm in the post. I'm a Canucks fan and absolutely understand what the Canucks fought through including injuries to Hamhuis after the hipcheck, Elder with the broken finger, Ehrhoff with the Shoulder, Kesler, Raymond, even Daniel Sedin...

I was making a comment on the Canuck fan making fun of Toronto for not having any Stanley Cup players.

Unless I'm missing the double sarcasm here, then in that case DOUBLE TROUBLE!!!

Old
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Any revenue generated from the past has no influence on decisions made prospectively. Luongo helped generate playoff revenue a couple years ago, doesn't mean they should eat millions of dollars for the next 10 years.
No, but it justifies paying him the money they have.

I find it ridiculous that people seem to suggest that just because Luongo isn't traded yet that somehow the Canucks (ownership) will be forced to eat all that salary year after year. There is no doubt that he will be moved eventually. Can the team hold on to him for this year, and pay his salary for this season (and not even an entire year's salary as it's a shortened season), so they can get a better return for him?

What's $5mill or so for this ownership group to have him sitting on the bench for this year, to get a better return? That's about $3-4mill extra that they're spending (over a cheaper backup), to wait until the offseason to move him. Is that really going to impact the owner's financial situation? Especially considering the millions he's made from the Canucks playoffs in the past years?

Aquillini has routinely spend $2-3mill/yr sitting guys in the minors so the Canucks could get a better trade deal and/or have more depth with vets on pro 1-way contracts sitting in the minors. You think he's going to worry that much about having Luongo's salary sittting on the bench this season as a backup? That security is already worth something. Subtract the difference between him and a backup, and then throw in the less salary paid due to the lockout, while having the same financial impact in the playoffs, and it amounts to peanuts.

Of course that only applies if it's a short-term situation, ie. he's traded by the offseason. And I think everyone - including Luongo, Gillis and Aquillini - know that he will eventually be dealt.

There is less of a financial loss keeping Luongo as a backup and going on another playoff run - even if it's just 2 rounds - than going yet another season not seeing any playoff revenue at all. That's the difference right now between the Canucks and Leafs situations. The Canucks have been earning their playoff revenue, and Luongo has been a big part of that. One lockout shortened season having him as a backup is hardly going to be a financial burden for this team.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
So glad that Luongo is on the team... I hope that he can be sold to stay long term (as in, beyond this year)... Sell him the idea to stay with the Canucks, until Florida is ready for him...
Yeah... Try and convince Luongo to waste the few prime years he has left to build his HOF resume so he can go to Florida for an extra prospect.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:46 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Yeah... Try and convince Luongo to waste the few prime years he has left to build his HOF resume so he can go to Florida for an extra prospect.
Life could be worse... Could be sent to a bottom team that doesn't place a lot of value on his contributions...

Old
01-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
If by "Wasting his prime years" you mean giving him likely the best shot at winning a cup ring over virtually any place he might get traded to, then sure.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:48 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
What is the point of this post exactly? Luongo has consistently said if he was traded his first choice would be florida...

Old
01-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
In general I agree with you, however, your ignoring Lou's No Trade clause, he might get irritated, but unless he waives his NT, the fault is his own, he is under contract and has no right to dictate to MG what the return is on any trade, only his destination. The Canucks can, but won't, let him rot in the AHL.
Canuck fans in general are delusional about what is going to come back, I think he will fetch a solid third liner or marginal second liner, unless more players go with him. If you doubt that look at the trade that brought him here or the Bure trade.
A 71 point forward two years removed from 97. (60 in 69 the year before)
A solid young top four defenseman
A backup goalie

If that is the benchmark. We have every reason to have good expectations on the return.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:54 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic View Post
Guess I should have been more clear: No NHL team based in the province of B.C. has ever won the Stanley Cup.
Well, you know it is like the lottery....you can't win if you don't play. I feel better holding a ticket every April.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:58 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
If by "Wasting his prime years" you mean giving him likely the best shot at winning a cup ring over virtually any place he might get traded to, then sure.
What is better... To serve in heaven, or to reign in hell? Until Florida is ready, I think that Luongo could be sold to stay... If no to Vancouver long term (after this season), and Florida isn't ready for a while, at least sold the idea to stay in Vancouver until a good team that places value on his contributions is ready for him... I think he's already been sold that... That's why he's still here... I imagine that Luongo places a lot of self-worth on himself...

I wouldn't be surprised if Luongo refused to waive to go to Toronto... Especially with that good friend, little bird Allaire whispering in his ear to stay out of hell...

Old
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
What is better... To serve in heaven, or to reign in hell? Until Florida is ready, I think that Luongo could be sold to stay... If no to Vancouver long term (after this season), and Florida isn't ready for a while, at least sold the idea to stay in Vancouver until a good team that places value on his contributions is ready for him... I think he's already been sold that... That's why he's still here... I imagine that Luongo places a lot of self-worth on himself...

I wouldn't be surprised if Luongo refused to waive to go to Toronto... Especially with that good friend, little bird Allaire whispering in his ear to stay out of hell...
It grows on you...

Anywho, Luongo will not stay past this season. That is a pipe dream for numerous reasons, most apparent being his cap it impeding our ability to improve the roster. While it is feasible to squeeze him within the cap, we do so as a determent to ourselves; relying on production from Jensen - a kid never having played in the NHL. That aside, why would Lu want to spend what remains of his prime career as a backup? He is a starter and will want to continue as one until age catches up or his contract expires, whichever comes first.

Keeping him long term is simply unrealistic.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Vorkosh

Wait, we're comparing a potential return for Luongo to the return that Bure got?

So..

The trade was

(F) Pavel Bure
(D) Bret Hedican
(D)Brad Ference
3rd round pick

for

(D) Ed Jovanovski
(C) Dave Gagner
(G) Kevin Weekes
(F) Mike Brown
1st round pick