HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillyboy93 View Post
Didn't know what thread to post this in so I thought this one would work. Good read about ownership only caring about money and selling tickets and all.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ing-at-the-top
Yeah no agenda in that article...

The simple fact that he can slam ownership and management and still write this:

Quote:
The Capitals have one of the best players in the NHL on their club in Alex Ovechkin
says it all IMO...

Old
01-26-2013, 02:41 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

I wish we had a guy like Vlasic or Subban to put on our blueline.

Right now it looks like this:

Alzner, Green
Orlov, Carlson
Poti/Erskine/Hamrlik, Kundratek

Burrrr.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:05 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I wish we had a guy like Vlasic or Subban to put on our blueline.

Right now it looks like this:

Alzner, Green
Orlov, Carlson
Poti/Erskine/Hamrlik, Kundratek

Burrrr.
I really think we need a tough defenseman like A Train, but I don't think that is the biggest issue.

We seem to lose a lot of faceoffs (a problem we haven't had in awhile), our forwards keep giving the puck up in the neutral zone, and our forwards are weak on the forecheck.

A weak offense can make a defense look worse than they are.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:08 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
I really think we need a tough defenseman like A Train, but I don't think that is the biggest issue.

We seem to lose a lot of faceoffs (a problem we haven't had in awhile), our forwards keep giving the puck up in the neutral zone, and our forwards are weak on the forecheck.

A weak offense can make a defense look worse than they are.
I agree and like the name haha.

Like I mentioned in the draft thread, if we end up with a really high pick we could switch things around significantly.

Our forwards are a bigger story but I feel Kuz and Forsberg will be top 6 forwards by late 2014.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
The Caps' biggest issue is that their two best, and highest paid, players haven't been anywhere close to their best players so far. Ovechkin and Backstrom have simply been terrible and in a capped league you aren't going to win too many games when you have $16.2+ mil tied up in two players playing terribly.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:16 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
The Caps' biggest issue is that their two best, and highest paid, players haven't been anywhere close to their best players so far. Ovechkin and Backstrom have simply been terrible and in a capped league you aren't going to win too many games when you have $16.2+ mil tied up in two players playing terribly.
Yeah, so let's add a defenseman. Maybe that will help the top 6 out.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Disagree on Backstrom. He was good last year. After the concussion, he hasn't been quite the same but I am pinning that on him having no one to pass to.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah no agenda in that article...

The simple fact that he can slam ownership and management and still write this:

says it all IMO...
The simple truth is he still is one of the best based upon at least last season. Still 5th in goals in an absolutely putrid season for him. Discredit attempt denied. Unless you care to be more specific about this fantasy agenda you mentioned?

The writer is dead on...The Caps are happy to fill the seats and roll the dice each year, with no clear direction or vision to actually WIN the Stanley Cup.

Which 5 year plan are we on now? Number 3?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
The simple truth is he still is one of the best based upon at least last season. Still 5th in goals in an absolutely putrid season for him. Discredit attempt denied.

The writer is dead on...The Caps are happy to fill the seats and roll the dice each year, with no clear direction or vision to actually WIN the Stanley Cup.

Which 5 year plan are we on now? Number 3?
I agree with you, but this will change soon. The Verizon Center is dead this year. The Skins/Nats are playing better. Prices have gone up and the product has gone down. The seats will start emptying if they don't start winning.

I dont think it would happen, but my fear is they'd move the team once the seats stop being filled.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Caps are just lucky that the rest of the sports scene is dead right now.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Yeah, so let's add a defenseman. Maybe that will help the top 6 out.
The top 6 will go as Ovechkin and Backstrom go not as some 18 year old rookie simply trying to make the transition from playing against kids to playing against men goes. I don't know what to tell you if you don't understand that.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:36 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Caps are just lucky that the rest of the sports scene is dead right now.
Unless the Nats crap the bed at the beginning of their season, the seats at verizon might start clearing out in a few months.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Disagree on Backstrom. He was good last year. After the concussion, he hasn't been quite the same but I am pinning that on him having no one to pass to.
Backstrom has been just as poor as Ovechkin so far this season. Last year pre concussion he was their best player but still not of the caliber he had been in previous seasons IMO.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Yes my favorite thread...lives beyond a season.

01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
The top 6 will go as Ovechkin and Backstrom go not as some 18 year old rookie simply trying to make the transition from playing against kids to playing against men goes. I don't know what to tell you if you don't understand that.
I don't know what to tell you either. You clearly are not getting it.

5 defense spots arguably taken. Only one you can argue is Kundratek

Top line quality forwards: 2
Second line quality forwards: 1

Old
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Backstrom has been just as poor as Ovechkin so far this season. Last year pre concussion he was their best player but still not of the caliber he had been in previous seasons IMO.
He had 44 pts in 42 games last year with a subpar OV on his wing.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
The simple truth is he still is one of the best based upon at least last season.
I'd conservatively say there are 90 guys in the league I'd rather have on this team than Ovechkin at this point. So sure he is one of the best 100 players in the league all while carrying the highest cap hit in the league.

As far as ownership only caring about money why have they spent to the cap so often over the last few seasons? Somebody who agrees with that article please answer that for me?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:54 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
I'd conservatively say there are 90 guys in the league I'd rather have on this team than Ovechkin at this point. So sure he is one of the best 100 players in the league all while carrying the highest cap hit in the league.

As far as ownership only caring about money why have they spent to the cap so often over the last few seasons? Somebody who agrees with that article please answer that for me?
They had to win to get people hooked to coming to the seats. Then this year they didn't spend to the cap, but hope people still fill the seats.

It's like when businesses give out free samples, or discounts for awhile.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you either. You clearly are not getting it.

5 defense spots arguably taken. Only one you can argue is Kundratek

Top line quality forwards: 2
Second line quality forwards: 1
Really you are going to let me argue Kundratek? He is nowhere near ready for regular NHL action much less on this fantasy cup team you think is just going to materialize because of the addition of an 18 year old coming straight out of juniors.

Nobody drafted in the next draft turns this team into a cup team, nobody. You draft the guy who you think will be the best player in the long run regardless of what position he plays because when he is ready to really make a difference this team will likely look very different. This is not NHL '13. You can't just plug 18 year old straight out of juniors rookies into key spots and expect them to get it done.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
They had to win to get people hooked to coming to the seats. Then this year they didn't spend to the cap, but hope people still fill the seats.

It's like when businesses give out free samples, or discounts for awhile.
So it is only this year that they are showing their true colors?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:28 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Really you are going to let me argue Kundratek? He is nowhere near ready for regular NHL action much less on this fantasy cup team you think is just going to materialize because of the addition of an 18 year old coming straight out of juniors.

Nobody drafted in the next draft turns this team into a cup team, nobody. You draft the guy who you think will be the best player in the long run regardless of what position he plays because when he is ready to really make a difference this team will likely look very different. This is not NHL '13. You can't just plug 18 year old straight out of juniors rookies into key spots and expect them to get it done.
Just for reference, have you ever heard of Mark Fayne or Slava Voynov?

Voynov won in his rookie year and is the same age as Kundratek. Fayne went to the Cup in his 2nd season and nearly won it with New Jersey. He's 25.

Kundratek is 23. With a full season under his belt he could very well be a third line defensive pair.

And i'm sorry but what are you talking about? You draft your needs if you fall into the Top 5 unless you're a team like Edmonton or Columbus who is there many times. Galchenyuk and Yakupov made the rosters this year and are making an impact on their teams. So you are clueless in that regard.

If you draft in the Top 5, which is where Jones or MacKinnon would be taken, they have a shot of making the roster right away. MacKinnon would be the third line center right away if he made the roster. That is undisputable.

We need better quality forwards. No one denies that. We're missing one or two pieces on defense. We're missing a first line wing, two 2nd line wings, and a third line center at this point AT THE MINIMUM.

Kuznetsov and Forsberg will fill up two of those four spots. Kuznetsov won't be here until late 2014 likely.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Just for reference, have you ever heard of Mark Fayne or Slava Voynov?

Voynov won in his rookie year and is the same age as Kundratek. Fayne went to the Cup in his 2nd season and nearly won it with New Jersey. He's 25.

Kundratek is 23. With a full season under his belt he could very well be a third line defensive pair.
Yes, because all players develop the same way...

Quote:
And i'm sorry but what are you talking about? You draft your needs if you fall into the Top 5 unless you're a team like Edmonton or Columbus who is there many times. Galchenyuk and Yakupov made the rosters this year and are making an impact on their teams. So you are clueless in that regard.
Lol... and are either of those teams cup contenders? Or anywhere close to a cup contender?

Can you think of a recent cup contender with a rookie as a main core piece?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Yes, because all players develop the same way...

Lol... and are either of those teams cup contenders? Or anywhere close to a cup contender?

Can you think of a recent cup contender with a rookie as a main core piece?
Tyler Seguin?

I'm not saying we would win the Cup with a rookie at a core piece and i'm not saying MacKinnon would even be a core piece in his first year if we drafted him or Drouin.

He would be a third line center or Drouin a 2nd line forward.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

And that makes no sense what you just said.

"A rookie coming from the draft and being on a Cup winning team"

WELL DUH. Teams that pick in the Top 5 don't usually turn around and compete for a Cup. Those are the players that usually make the NHL roster right away anyways.

So your point is irrelevant.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Tyler Seguin?

I'm not saying we would win the Cup with a rookie at a core piece and i'm not saying MacKinnon would even be a core piece in his first year if we drafted him or Drouin.

He would be a third line center or Drouin a 2nd line forward.

Just stop.
Seguin wasn't a core piece when the Bruins won the cup. He was scratched for most of the playoffs.

You really want a rookie as a 3rd line center, usually reserved for someone who can match opponents top lines and play a defensive role, in the tough road known as the NHL playoffs? Seriously?

Closed Thread