HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* PK Subban talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) III

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 02:34 PM
FanHabtic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
And then he signs an offer sheet, and the Habs are cornered into signing him as well, or letting him play.

Not a winning strategy
An offersheet actually allows Marc Bergevin to save face. He can match it on the basis that no one bullies the Habs and he had no choice given the value of the compensation (or there lack of). And he didn't come off his platform of the bridge contract given that he was given no choice.

With that said, no GM makes decisions out of fear of an offersheet.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:36 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I would do bieksa + 1st for subban.

Then sign subban to a 8 year 4mil a year type deal that he wants.

I doubt bieksa would waive his NTC to montreal tho.
You really think that the Habs are balking on a longterm deal if it was 8 years @ 4 million per year? Seriously, what is wrong with people in here?

Old
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
An offersheet actually allows Marc Bergevin to save face. He can match it on the basis that no one bullies the Habs and he had no choice given the value of the compensation (or there lack of). And he didn't come off his platform of the bridge contract given that he was given no choice.

With that said, no GM makes decisions out of fear of an offersheet.
So.. you say Subban should accept to play the bad guy and sign an offer sheet to help Bergevin save face?

Old
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
You really think that the Habs are balking on a longterm deal if it was 8 years @ 4 million per year? Seriously, what is wrong with people in here?
They offered 5m over two years, so yes yes they are.

They refuse to give him more then 2/3 years at a low cap hit.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:39 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
I would do bieksa + 1st for subban.

Then sign subban to a 8 year 4mil a year type deal that he wants.

I doubt bieksa would waive his NTC to montreal tho.
First you said that the Habs are 3M$+ away from Subban demands (reported offer being a little more than 2.5M$ per). So in your opinion, he is asking for 5.5M$+ per.

But suddenly, if he would get traded to Vancouver, he is supposed to be asking 4M$ per?

Get real...

Old
01-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Numbers

Someone like Philadelphia or Detroit should just offer sheet Subban 5 mil for 5-6 years. If Montreal is only going to offer 2 year deal of about 2.5 per, sure seems like it would be hard to match. Compensation would only be a 1st and 3rd. This is a very strange situation and I think that Bergevin is using Subbans personal desire to remain in Montreal as serious leverage, otherwise I'm pretty sure Subban would have signed offer sheet already. Very strange game Montreal management is playing right now. Subban should just sign an offer sheet. Montreal probably has to match an Subban gets what he wants in the end.

Old
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
So.. you say Subban should accept to play the bad guy and sign an offer sheet to help Bergevin save face?
I'm saying that the Habs have the leverage in negotiations by virtue of Subban being a RFA. MB appears to have drawn a line with the "bridge Contract" demands. He may back down from this stance in the spirit of making a deal and in a compromise. If Subban signs an offersheet then MB really has no choice but to match it (unless the comp was for 4 x 1sts or something like that). And on that basis he could save face and PK would be the "bad guy" in the deal.

Not saying its an ideal situation should an offersheet happen. But how often do they happen? How many offersheets have been successful? The offersheet is the tool of a desperate GM who has no other options. The Oilers were in that situation because no one (and i mean NO ONE) wanted to play there. The Flyers tried it on the basis that they assumed that Nashville was cash-poor. Why would anyone try it with the Habs?

Old
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
First you said that the Habs are 3M$+ away from Subban demands (reported offer being a little more than 2.5M$ per). So in your opinion, he is asking for 5.5M$+ per.

But suddenly, if he would get traded to Vancouver, he is supposed to be asking 4M$ per?

Get real...
Montreal want's a "bridge" deal, Meaning no more then 2/3 years.

Subban want's at least 4.5m a year, If he gets traded, canucks will do what they do best and get steal of deals, which subban would accept 4m for 8 years.

Montreal has zero interest in signing him long term.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:41 PM
YogiCanucks

I have a question about RFA. Since he's deemed a "free agent" other teams are free to talk with him no? So let's say Pheonix (chosen because it wont send fanbases into a tailspin..) wants to chat about a contract. If they find #'s both sides want but instead of offersheeting they trade for PK at "unsigned value" then make the contract official is that tampering?

Old
01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:

Subban want's at least 4.5m a year, If he gets traded, canucks will do what they do best and get steal of deals, which subban would accept 4m for 8 years.

You are making a lot of assumptions.

1. You are assuming that the Habs would not offer Subban a longterm contract period.
2. You are assuming that PK would accept a low-salary longterm contract

You can't be certain of either of those assumptions above. There is no way in god's green earth that PK Subban would accept an 8 year 4M/year contract and there is no way that Marc Bergevin would pass that up if it was an option.

Bottom line: If it sounds too good to be true, its gotta be false.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:45 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I have a question about RFA. Since he's deemed a "free agent" other teams are free to talk with him no? So let's say Pheonix (chosen because it wont send fanbases into a tailspin..) wants to chat about a contract. If they find #'s both sides want but instead of offersheeting they trade for PK at "unsigned value" then make the contract official is that tampering?
That's not tampering at all. That's how its generally done.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
sparxx87

Quote:

Why would he accept that deal when he's already worth 4m per and could be worth more within the next few years?

If they want a bridge deal, they should offer a little more to get it done.. The discount comes with years.

I don't understand how they give Erik Cole a blank cheque and nickel and dime PK.

Both sides should find a way to get it done. This is Bergevins first big deal, but they want PK and PK wants to be a Hab.. This should have been done long ago.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:49 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Why would he accept that deal when he's already worth 4m per and could be worth more within the next few years?

If they want a bridge deal, they should offer a little more to get it done.. The discount comes with years.

I don't understand how they give Erik Cole a blank cheque and nickel and dime PK.

Both sides should find a way to get it done. This is Bergevins first big deal, but they want PK and PK wants to be a Hab.. This should have been done long ago.
The discount comes with years only for a UFA. For a RFA, the discount comes with a short-term contract. For example, Michael Del Zotto signed a short-term contract at a discount. Had he signed a longterm contract it would have been for far more than 2.5M/season.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:57 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

If Habs offered 2 years at 5 million and PK turned it down...

I mean, that is fair... even going 3-4 years at 5.5 is fine.

PK must be asking for 6 million+ and Habs won't go higher than 5.75 (Markov money)... PK hasn't shown to be good as Markov or earn that money... with Karlsson at 6.5, PK shouldn't be sniffing 6 million yet.

It's a bad situation and I am glad it's not my team having to deal with it... it reminds me of Phil Kessel with Boston a few years ago... due to Boston's cap structure they were only offering Kessel 2-3 year deals at 4-4.5 I believe... Kessel wanted more money and went to Toronto and got paid.

I have a feeling PK will do the same... not Toronto, but out of Montreal

Old
01-26-2013, 03:01 PM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post

PK must be asking for 6 million+ and Habs won't go higher than 5.75 (Markov money)... PK hasn't shown to be good as Markov or earn that money... with Karlsson at 6.5, PK shouldn't be sniffing 6 million yet.

It's a bad situation and I am glad it's not my team having to deal with it... it reminds me of Phil Kessel with Boston a few years ago... due to Boston's cap structure they were only offering Kessel 2-3 year deals at 4-4.5 I believe... Kessel wanted more money and went to Toronto and got paid.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported that the Canadiens are standing firm on a two-year deal worth roughly $5 million.

i don't think that means $5M per year.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Predatorbill

As much as I hate offer sheets, it would be the fastest way to get a deal done. It has to be completed in 7 days.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:

Uhh no. DD said 2.5mil a year, 5m total was FIRM for the habs. Again, they want a bridge deal, and PK is saying **** off.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

As far as destinations that PK will end up, I see Toronto as the most likely destination, then Florida, Philly and Boston in that order.

When this is all over I don't see PK staying as a Hab for more then a year or two, at the most.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
As far as destinations that PK will end up, I see Toronto as the most likely destination, then Florida, Philly and Boston in that order.

When this is all over I don't see PK staying as a Hab for more then a year or two, at the most.
Why would Bergevin trade Subban to us, unless the Leafs are clearly overpaying.

I don't see why the Leafs would be interested in overpaying though. I'd love to have Subban on the team but what exactly would be going back?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:21 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Someone like Philadelphia or Detroit should just offer sheet Subban 5 mil for 5-6 years ...
Ottawa should, the Sens owner will like it, regardless how it ends up

Old
01-26-2013, 03:22 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

I think we're making it bigger than it is, when all is set and done everybody will forget about this story. And nobody can see Subban traded, he's gonna be signed by Bergevin and everybody will be happy in Habsland.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:22 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8spokesontheB View Post
From a Bruins perspective, not to mince or mingle words, this is what I think Pernell would be worth in a trade.

Kelly, 1st round pick.
keep mincing and mingling your ********* offer into some other kind of hamburger

Old
01-26-2013, 03:23 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Uhh no. DD said 2.5mil a year, 5m total was FIRM for the habs. Again, they want a bridge deal, and PK is saying **** off.
Really?

Saying that he will take the weekend to discuss with h is agent and family is saying **** off?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
I think Subban will sign the bridge deal, but not for 2.5M, I think 3.75-4M/year over 2 years.

I think he'll let this one go for now, but he's going to keep this in mind when he's negotiating a deal next time he's up for a new contract.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:28 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I think Subban will sign the bridge deal, but not for 2.5M, I think 3.75-4M/year over 2 years.

I think he'll let this one go for now, but he's going to keep this in mind when he's negotiating a deal next time he's up for a new contract.
Which is fair especially if he performs over the term of the bridge contract. He should get paid what he deserves after the bridge contract. That's the whole point of it. Its zero risk zero reward.

Closed Thread