HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game #5: vs St. Louis, 1.26 (7:00 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Old
01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

vCash: 500
Wut? Worley just tweeted "If Roy is out tonight, suddenly your first line center is Cody Eakin." Haven't seen anyone suggest that yet.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:52 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
Wut? Worley just tweeted "If Roy is out tonight, suddenly your first line center is Cody Eakin." Haven't seen anyone suggest that yet.
Maybe hes got some shoulder soreness. Worley generally isn't worth paying much attention to but he might have some knowledgeable sources as far as this goes.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
jhr1986

vCash: 50
I'm excited to see what Smith can do in the top six, and it's time to see what Rome can do (not that I'm expecting a whole lot though). Lots of ******** around here about Larsen being scratched; I think his play has digressed somewhat from last year and perhaps getting to sit this one out will help him get his head back into the game. Jagr and Whitney most likely out? Oh well, injuries happen and fortunately these aren't major ones. Of course I would hate to see Dallas lose, but c'mon, you guys didn't really expect this to be a playoff year did you? Just looking at the defensive roster should have told you that before the season started. Lets enjoy watching the young guys grow into their roles.

jhr1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

I think he's speculating because of the hit the other night based on his reply to someone else.

edit> I tweeted him and yes because Gulutzan mentioned Scev might play C.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:09 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Yes, he's speculating it because Roy did not practice today for "Maintenance" and because Gully said Scev could play Center. It's a fair theory.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Larsen scratched on D....

Afgchdgdhdbdjd Dhxjd!!
This is a joke right?

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
i know i'm going to get flamed for this, but i don't think larsen's played all that well this year. now, i'm not saying i wouldn't rather that he were out on the ice working through whatever issues he's having, but there could be more to this than just getting jordie some pt with his brother. larsen was decent to good last year, and we are all excited because we expect him to only get better. however, often times young players struggle in their first offseason in the bigs... they feel like they've made it and don't keep the drive and relentless pursuit that it takes in practice and off ice workouts to keep improving. this may not be the issue, but i defiantly feel like he hasn't been nearly as good as he was last year. (i know, small sample size and all that, but the coaching staff has a much much larger sample size than we do)
But he's hardly played! He has the lowest TOI on the team out of the D, which is a joke in an of itself.

If he had been given the opportunity that he should have been, and THEN played poorly, sure, do whatever you want. But he's clearly played better than Robidas, Goligoski, and Benn at the very least. Who just get showered with more playing time, of course.

And those concerns about about "drive" or whatever seem strange considering Larsen was one of the few players who actually challenged themselves over the lockout by playing a major role against good competition in a situation that would directly help his game as an NHLer...

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
But he's hardly played! He has the lowest TOI on the team out of the D, which is a joke in an of itself.

If he had been given the opportunity that he should have been, and THEN played poorly, sure, do whatever you want. But he's clearly played better than Robidas, Goligoski, and Benn at the very least. Who just get showered with more playing time, of course.

And those concerns about about "drive" or whatever seem strange considering Larsen was one of the few players who actually challenged themselves over the lockout by playing a major role against good competition in a situation that would directly help his game as an NHLer...
I think Benn has been more effective than Larsen on the whole so far this season.

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:31 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhr1986 View Post
I'm excited to see what Smith can do in the top six, and it's time to see what Rome can do (not that I'm expecting a whole lot though). Lots of ******** around here about Larsen being scratched; I think his play has digressed somewhat from last year and perhaps getting to sit this one out will help him get his head back into the game. Jagr and Whitney most likely out? Oh well, injuries happen and fortunately these aren't major ones. Of course I would hate to see Dallas lose, but c'mon, you guys didn't really expect this to be a playoff year did you? Just looking at the defensive roster should have told you that before the season started. Lets enjoy watching the young guys grow into their roles.
Pretty hilarious considering your first few sentences.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Do not understand it one bit. The decisions this coaching staff continues to make. Just absolutely ridiculous.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

The lineup reminds me of the final season game 2011/2012 where the Stars had no chance to achieve the playoffs. Who was the opponent? Correct - St. Louis!

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
The lineup reminds me of the final season game 2011/2012 where the Stars had no chance to achieve the playoffs. Who was the opponent? Correct - St. Louis!
Except in that case they brought up kids and played them knowing the experience would be good for them. Now we're scratching a kid for a vet for a dubious reason at best.

I'm happy if both Vincour and Sceviour get to play but what are we doing when they'll have the least TOI and Larsen sits in the pressbox. Isn't this post lockout short season the perfect time to give young guys opportunities? The team has plenty of questions, let's see if any of the prospects can fill the holes but you're never going to find out in 10 minutes of ice time.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 01:53 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
Otherwise known as Scott Glennie's 1 NHL game.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Isn't this post lockout short season the perfect time to give young guys opportunities?
Not in Dallas apparently.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:13 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Razor pretty much confirms its either Ray or Roy:

Quote:
Daryl Reaugh ‏@Razor5Hole

Stars missing 3 top 6 forwards, or approx 50%. Blues - full compliment, 100%. But hard work beat talent 68.3% of time if talent no work hard

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

It has to be Ray, after hearing Gully think he wouldn't even be able to walk.

Don't think we've heard anything about Roy being hurt, outside of him going off slowly after Franzen side swiped him.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:18 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Razor pretty much confirms its either Ray or Roy:
And it keeps getting better. F

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:21 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Not in Dallas apparently.
Obviously there's a very fundamental difference in how Niewendyk and Gulutzan see this club versus the results and play have shown so far. Bringing in Whitney and Jagr were good veterans that filled holes and mentored young players until they're ready to step up at this level.

Same thing with getting rid of Ott and Ribiero to remove bad leadership and yet both moves are only half done. Your two best young forwards are going to be shipped back to the 4th line when Benn is in and Jagr is healthy. Vincour and Sceviour sit in the press box. Larsen gets pitiful ice time and now is going to be scratched.

The ringleader of your poor leadership is still here and getting obscene ice time including absurd power play minutes in front of your best skill players so nothing has changed and the team has a terrible power play.

They put the two older defensemen together and expect different results in play from Robidas-Goligoski than they've gotten since the trade.

So does the front office really have the expectation of playoffs with this group as it's currently being used or are all of us just debbie downers who attack what appears to be obvious problems?

Old
01-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Blues fan coming in peace. Sounds as if you guys aren't at full strength unfortunately. I was hoping to get to watch Jagr play. Any idea on how long he's out for?

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Any idea on how long he's out for?
Hopefully it's just a day to day thing.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post

i'll concede to most of what you say. i disagree a bit about benn though. he was shaky the first few shifts, but i think he has progressed steadily since, only a few glaring errors.

i watched an nfl films show about tom brady the other day, and the thing that struck me was how whenever he got his chance, he seized it by the throat and dragged it screaming through the streets. larsen hasn't had but one play that's stood out to me as, "wow, nice play" in his opportunities. i'd like to see larsen make something of the playing time he does get.

that's a good point about him playing during the lockout... do you think he's having some adjustment issues from the rink size? different angles maybe? could he be a little more conservative in his game as a result?

really, this could all be fixed if they can just find some schmuck gm to take robidas. sigh.

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I am going to pretend like Larsen has a nagging injury or a little soreness that taking a game off will help.
Not to kill your buzz:

Quote:
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge

@BigG44 Healthy scratch.Gulutzan said he's been playing well. Odd man out.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Oh man that quote says it all. Gully's got to go. Odd man out? Wow.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:57 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Well Nilstorp....have fun buddy.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13