Old
01-25-2013, 01:34 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksp1957 View Post
And that being said... I don't give a flying *******
Obviously you do or you wouldn't have even opened the thread, let alone chime in

Old
01-25-2013, 01:48 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
Soderberg signed an entry-level deal with the Blues in June of 2006. He's still under contract (since he hasn't reported in 7 years now) and per the terms of the CBA at the time, that contract is set to expire on July 1, 2013.

Had he never signed that contract, this issue would be non-existent and nobody would give a flying ****.
I'm sort of amazed that this is true, but I guess if someone is willing to blow off a contract for 7 years, then it's hard to imagine them not being obligated anymore. With that being said, why on earth would his agent encourage him (at this point) to report to the Bruins? Makes no sense at all. Unless, I suppose, his season ends and Chiarelli offers him a spot in the lineup down the stretch and into the playoffs (a la Radulov). Would he still be a UFA in July if he took advantage of that?

Anyways, I'll never get the vitriol for this kid. If you ask me, his career path has sort of worked out for him. He's peaking at just the right time (about to be a UFA), there's a copious amount of intrigue and mystery surrounding him in terms of NHL viability, and he could potentially cash in large because of all the timing. I hope that he winds up in a Bruins uniform, but I'm also realistic in the sense that it's likely not going to happen.

Old
01-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Schnurvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Guess he's gonna look pretty good on Detroit then.

Any chances Malmo miss the playoffs so he could come over with some time left in the regular season?
He hasn't played in Malmö for almost two seasons He's in Linköping now, and we're definitely not gonna miss the playoffs this year, much thanks to Carl and his awesome linemates!

Old
01-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post
So just because his biggest wish hasn't been to play in the NHL, he's dumb? Seriously? Also, why the hell would there be anything wrong with him??

I understand why he hasn't left Sweden. Not everything in life is about hockey, not even for those who play professionally. Obviously, you don't realize that.

You should read this: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=589224
It still is extremely confusing, a top athlete not having the will and motivation competing with the best

Comparing to soccer it would be like turning down offers from Milan and Bayern Munich, insisting to play for AIK or Malmö FF.

It is rare, extremely rare, I read somewhere a comparison with Jönsson brothers. It fails, both of the Jönsson brothers at least gave the NHL a serious shot, even Jörgen (who didn't do very well though, but ok, a little bit too soft for the NHL).

Last edited by 21: 01-26-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old
01-26-2013, 03:23 AM
topcat986*

The yeti has been videotaped

Old
01-26-2013, 04:26 AM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Wouldn't mind him on the 3rd line

Old
01-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Ratty

Just wondering. If he signs before July 1, I assume he gets the same ELC that everyone else gets. If he signs after July 1 can he negotiate a better deal?

Old
01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
Wouldn't mind him on the 3rd line
You'd have to think they made an offer to him because they don't really have anyone to fill that 3rd line spot. They could pretty much guarantee him a spot at this point. I'd love to have him on the team right now.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:08 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

Wait I don't follow, has he said he's coming here finally?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Schnurvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
You'd have to think they made an offer to him because they don't really have anyone to fill that 3rd line spot. They could pretty much guarantee him a spot at this point. I'd love to have him on the team right now.
According to a Swedish newspaper, they did, a couple of weeks ago (I think it was something like $1,5 million for one season). But they wanted him to come over right away, and Linköping of course refused to let him go (and I don't think Carl would want to leave before the playoffs and the WC), and he wouldn't be allowed to leave anyway according to the transfer rules.

Edit: Found the link! http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...ill-boston-nu/

Thing is, you can't really trust what that paper writes, but once in a while they do know what they're talking about. Not sure what to make of this, though.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:11 PM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Not seeing how the logic flows on this one, DP. He is neither indentured, nor a servant. His NHL rights were traded from one team to another, but it hasn't limited his ability to play elsewhere, and it certainly hasn't stopped him from earning a paycheck for his hockey skills. Indentured servitude was more like what Curt Flood fought against and won in MLB, and what existed in the NHL as recently as the 80's. Carl not wanting to play in the NHL, but still playing professionally is nowhere near what you suggest.
i was responding to hfboards forum poster Daddy Warbucks and how not coming over shows the guy to have character and morality issues, which is orthogonal to the argument you're making (one which i agree with, by the way)

Old
01-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Someone again remind me about his eye injury? Can't remember if or how much his vision was limited.

That said, can't wait till July 1st when this guy and his "potential" goes away.

If he was as good as we all wanted him to be when the Bruins first swung the deal for him, the Bs would have got the deal done. Him not signing tells me he is just an average player of which the Bruins have access to a whole bucket of or he is a slightly above average talent with a butt-load of high maintenance tendencies.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Schnurvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
Someone again remind me about his eye injury? Can't remember if or how much his vision was limited.

That said, can't wait till July 1st when this guy and his "potential" goes away.

If he was as good as we all wanted him to be when the Bruins first swung the deal for him, the Bs would have got the deal done. Him not signing tells me he is just an average player of which the Bruins have access to a whole bucket of or he is a slightly above average talent with a butt-load of high maintenance tendencies.
He's got like 10-20% vision, but he has said that he basically can't see anything on his left eye.

Not sure how to respond to the second part (mainly because it's so stupid I'm almost lost for words)... You do realize it's not just Boston's decision, right? They can't force Söderberg to do anything. "high maintenance tendencies"... Ridiculous.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:59 PM
JMiller

What stings the most is that we lost hannu to get his rights.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Baddkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post
He's got like 10-20% vision, but he has said that he basically can't see anything on his left eye.

Not sure how to respond to the second part (mainly because it's so stupid I'm almost lost for words)... You do realize it's not just Boston's decision, right? They can't force Söderberg to do anything. "high maintenance tendencies"... Ridiculous.
I think if you read the post carefully you would agree that the Bruins have not been overly aggressive trying to bring Carl to NA and it is one of the two things:

a) He is talent is not worth the resources and effort to devote a hard sell/we really need you/here is a guaranteed roster spot (most likely)

b) His personality/demands are too high for what the Bruins are willing to put up with (i.e. not coming to NA for various reasons)

I think his backers misunderstand Bruins fans attitude towards this guy. Given his eye injury I for one am happy for the guy; he can play near home in a league where his skills can translate into a good living for him and his family and he is a bit of a local star.

I doubt the NHL is any place for a guy with limited peripheral vision and poor depth perception. I would hate to see him come over here and have a guy hurt him bad.

There was a time his size and skills were intriguing to the Bruins. Now some Bruins fans feel like this guy is Bigfoot; we hear the screams, there are blurry pics, and we wanna see the real deal.

At this point I doubt the Bruins have any real desire to see the guy in a Bruins/P-Bruins jersey.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:13 AM
Schnurvel

Quote:
I think if you read the post carefully you would agree that the Bruins have not been overly aggressive trying to bring Carl to NA and it is one of the two things:

a) He is talent is not worth the resources and effort to devote a hard sell/we really need you/here is a guaranteed roster spot (most likely)

b) His personality/demands are too high for what the Bruins are willing to put up with (i.e. not coming to NA for various reasons)

I think his backers misunderstand Bruins fans attitude towards this guy. Given his eye injury I for one am happy for the guy; he can play near home in a league where his skills can translate into a good living for him and his family and he is a bit of a local star.

I doubt the NHL is any place for a guy with limited peripheral vision and poor depth perception. I would hate to see him come over here and have a guy hurt him bad.

There was a time his size and skills were intriguing to the Bruins. Now some Bruins fans feel like this guy is Bigfoot; we hear the screams, there are blurry pics, and we wanna see the real deal.

At this point I doubt the Bruins have any real desire to see the guy in a Bruins/P-Bruins jersey.
I just don't like people who, just because Söderberg hasn't made the decisions they want him to make, assume things about him or judge him based on rumors, even though they've never seen him play or heard anything about him outside the HF boards.

Now, I posted a link a few posts up, you should read it: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/b...ill-boston-nu/

Edit: Regarding his eye sight, by the way: If you saw him play, you would never think he had any problems with limited vision. He is, by far, the best player in the league, and if he'd had any problems with his eye I'm sure it would have shown.

Last edited by Schnurvel: 01-27-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old
01-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
It still is extremely confusing, a top athlete not having the will and motivation competing with the best

Comparing to soccer it would be like turning down offers from Milan and Bayern Munich, insisting to play for AIK or Malmö FF.

It is rare, extremely rare, I read somewhere a comparison with Jönsson brothers. It fails, both of the Jönsson brothers at least gave the NHL a serious shot, even Jörgen (who didn't do very well though, but ok, a little bit too soft for the NHL).
I don't know about your soccer example, mainly because a) going from sweden to germany or whatever is like going from New York to Chicago distance-wise, not nearly as big a step as going to NA. B), how much money does he make? As the best player of the swdish league, he probabbly makes more than your average NHL third liner, or even an ELC. If he could cut it as an NHL top sixer, he'd get paid more but that's no garantuee.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Schnurvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
I don't know about your soccer example, mainly because a) going from sweden to germany or whatever is like going from New York to Chicago distance-wise, not nearly as big a step as going to NA. B), how much money does he make? As the best player of the swdish league, he probabbly makes more than your average NHL third liner, or even an ELC. If he could cut it as an NHL top sixer, he'd get paid more but that's no garantuee.
I think he gets somewhere between $30,000-$40,000/month. Thing is, his top priority is, and has never been, getting paid as much as possible. He plays, mostly, for the love of the game, and values (as the NHL article about him said) comfort in his environment and happiness with his team more than anything else. I think partly this is why NA fans just don't understand him - in Sweden, it's extremely important that the players play for the team and not for the money, basically. If a team has "too many" highly paid players, or foreigners, they are hated by fans (and the media) and called "plastic" and mocked for not having any good juniors so they have to "buy" players (even coaches have made comments like these about other teams). Heart is everything here - us fans would rather have a team full of hometown players and not win much, than an expensive, winning team with players from "the outside". Nowadays it's harder to find players who don't play mainly for the money, but Carl is one of them. That's why he stayed in Malmö for so long, and that's why he signed a new long-term contract with Linköping after just six games last season (don't worry though, he has an NHL clause): he feels very comfortable there, and loves the town and the team. He could get a lot more money playing in Russia, for example, but he doesn't want to do that. He thinks the KHL is all about money, pretty much, so he doesn't want to play there because it wouldn't be fun. If you do end up getting Carl to Boston, you are gonna have a player who does everything for the team, whatever it takes for the team to do well - scoring points, playing on the PP or PK, blocking shots, hitting... Anything.

Sorry for the essay, but I feel that this is something that the people here whining about him not coming over, just don't understand. He will go to the NHL, and hopefully Boston, when he feels like it's time. Not because he gets offered a lot of money, but because he knows he won't have anything more to accomplish in Sweden and the NHL will help him develop more, and because he know he will come to a good (as in good organisation, not good as in how much they win) team.

Old
01-28-2013, 12:33 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:

I believe he has the same vision as Heatley? Hasn't slowed him down too much

Old
01-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I believe he has the same vision as Heatley? Hasn't slowed him down too much
Or he might experience problems like Bryan Berard did, though Berard's vision was limited to 20/600. As good as the Swedish league is, its not as physical as the NHL. Carl might get blindsided on his weak side. Still would love to see him give it a go with the bruins.

Old
01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Pie O My

can't wait to see what this kid can do to improve our PP. Make it happen Chia!

Old
01-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
The Garden should put a mysterious countdown on the Jumbotron each home game without letting anyone know what it means. When the countdown reaches 0 days left Carl Soderberg skates out.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Baddkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
The Garden should put a mysterious countdown on the Jumbotron each home game without letting anyone know what it means. When the countdown reaches 0 days left Carl Soderberg skates out.

LMAO Classic!

It would only be epic however if after Carl skates out to the delirium of the crowd, the camera pans to a darkened section of the rafters, from which, Petr Tenkrat descends and takes his rightful place in the lineup which instantly secures the cup for the next three years via the presence of this duo.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

It's going to be great next year when he signs with another team as a UFA, on a one way deal, and actually comes over. I personally cannot wait...

Old
01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
It's going to be great next year when he signs with another team as a UFA, on a one way deal, and actually comes over. I personally cannot wait...
I hate you.

Closed Thread