HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 1

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 02:51 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
No oiler fan has proposed one of the 5 for subban..
not true, check on the main trade board. A couple of Oilers fans have posted Yakupov for Subban.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
not true, check on the main trade board. A couple of Oilers fans have posted Yakupov for Subban.
Yah but that was before the sliding celly ... We now know better

Old
01-26-2013, 03:29 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
NO Kidding, imagine the Oilers holding the Nuge to a 2 year deal like Tyler Ennis just signed, I'd burn down their offices myself.
Exactly the Habs are playing with fire with their second most valuable player
2 years $2.5 mil per, are they serious

Good thing i'm not a big habs fan

Old
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Oilersfan14 and mpstoebereletohall.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:37 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Oilersfan14 and mpstoebereletohall.
Those guys are Flame's fans.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:41 PM
NeutralZone

Before the draft there was quite a lot of talk about trading the 1st overall (Yakupov) to Montreal for Subban, or some slightly larger deal involving swapping picks for Subban, maybe with something else going Montreal's way.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:39 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I wonder what it would have taken to pry Thornton or Marleau off the Sharks before the season and what it would take now.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:47 PM
jsho

If Subban doesn't want to sign Montreals latest offer then I say their best bet is to let him sit for the year.

They aren't a playoff team and him sitting gives them a better chance of a lower pick.

The Del Zotto contract is exactly where he should be around. Subban is not a #1 dman, and does not deserve all of this hype he is getting.

He almost reminds me of a slightly better Tom Gilbert for what he brings, and what they've done their first 2 years in the league.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:48 PM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
P.K Subban is not one of the very best dmen in the league but he is still a very good dman and a young guy too in a few years he could be one of the best. You are right though in a trade like this we don't want to improve our defense at the cost of our offense.
What would you be prepared to give up for Subban?

Yeah thats not bad MTL won't be thrilled with that though. I would even go furthur, maybe whitney PRV and a solid prospect like Marincin, i'd rather keep our first round pick
Agreed. Whitney, our 1st, PRV/Maricin

That would be the extent of what I offer. Whitney has been a good D-man but his cash would be better used on Giving Subban what he wants. PRV/Maricin would be expendable.

Klefbom is off the table. BUt those three assets would all be available to get it done

Old
01-26-2013, 04:56 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
@KatieStrangESPN: #NYR Arnott is en route to NYC now. Cap hit of 1.6M

Old
01-26-2013, 04:57 PM
timekeep

Arnott to the Rangers

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

/\ beat me to it

Old
01-26-2013, 05:02 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
If Subban doesn't want to sign Montreals latest offer then I say their best bet is to let him sit for the year.

They aren't a playoff team and him sitting gives them a better chance of a lower pick.

The Del Zotto contract is exactly where he should be around. Subban is not a #1 dman, and does not deserve all of this hype he is getting.

He almost reminds me of a slightly better Tom Gilbert for what he brings, and what they've done their first 2 years in the league.
Lol. Subban is NOTHING like Tom Gilbert.

Holy crap.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:13 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Holy crap.
Discounting Gilberts first season where he played 12 games...

First 2 seasons 78 points and even +/-. Subban has 74 points and is +1.

Gilbert started strong out of the gate and got his 6 year deal. Ended up being a mistake.

I didn't mean to say they have similar games and should have said what they've brought to this point in their careers. Yes Subban is a better defenseman but Gilbert hit his ceiling fast and got worse every year. Subban is much more physical and has a way better slap shot that Gilbert.

But I think Subban has a bit to go before he deserves a long term or big dollar contract.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:16 PM
SDig14

Quote:

Holy crap.
That scared me, A LOT.

Unless Tom Gilbert developed a bomb of a shot, became a hard hitter, became capable of playing 25+ minutes effectively, and became a fast skater, ALL overnight, then that seems like a pretty odd comparison.

Subban is going to get paid, one way or another. Right now, he is willing to sign with the Habs for fair value in his eyes. If they make him sit, he just demands a trade and then his value goes down league wide.

His trade value is as high as it will get right now IMO, so if they are smart they either deal him or step up their offer and sign their best defenseman.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
SDig14

Quote:

Gilbert started strong out of the gate and got his 6 year deal. Ended up being a mistake.

I didn't mean to say they have similar games and should have said what they've brought to this point in their careers. Yes Subban is a better defenseman but Gilbert hit his ceiling fast and got worse every year. Subban is much more physical and has a way better slap shot that Gilbert.

But I think Subban has a bit to go before he deserves a long term or big dollar contract.
That makes more sense, you had me worried when comparing their style of play

Old
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
SDig14

Here is the problem for Montreal. How can you justify a bridge contract to your best defender when you have 7 players with cap hits over 4 million dollars?

How do you feel if your PK Subban and they offer you 2 years at $2.5 million per when Markov is making 5.75, Kaberle 4.25, and Gorges is making 3.9?

Nearly an impossible sell for management. Sure, people will say different situations, RFA status, lack of leverage, etc., but the bottom line is PK probably believes he is the best of that group, and rightfully so, meaning he wants to get paid for his worth to the team.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:21 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Perhaps, but if Montreal is going to use him like a #1D, and they were, then maybe they should be prepared to pay him accordingly.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Here is the problem for Montreal. How can you justify a bridge contract to your best defender when you have 7 players with cap hits over 4 million dollars?

How do you feel if your PK Subban and they offer you 2 years at $2.5 million per when Markov is making 5.75, Kaberle 4.25, and Gorges is making 3.9?

Nearly an impossible sell for management.
It actually makes no sense. If I was a Montreal fan id be pissed at management.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
David Clarkson is going to get closer to 5 million than 3 I think. He scored 30 goals last year. If he hits 15-20 this year I think some team gives up the big bucks for him.
No offense but that would be a terrible contract for Clarkson.

He did have a 30 goal year last years but two years ago you might have gotten him for a song. He's almost 29 years old and has scored about 85 goals in his career. He may even score again this year, but this is not a guy with a lot of natural talent. He is a grinder and an agitator. If you give him $5M with term my guess is that you will be buying him out sonner than later.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

Quote:

A major factor you're glossing over is that Gilbert's first 2 seasons were at 25 and 26, Subban's have been at 21 and 22.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:32 PM
rockinghockey

Once the trade deadline hits I am sure that there will be a few dmen available that we can pick up. Keep Whitney as the 3rd pairing. Next year sign Fistric and Smid and then pick up one more dman. Let Klefbom start in the AHL to adjust to the smaller rink and the physical game.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:33 PM
jsho

Quote:
That makes more sense, you had me worried when comparing their style of play
Lol no. I was stupid enough to buy a Gilbert jersey prematurely so I'm pretty aware of his game haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post

Nearly an impossible sell for management. Sure, people will say different situations, RFA status, lack of leverage, etc., but the bottom line is PK probably believes he is the best of that group, and rightfully so, meaning he wants to get paid for his worth to the team.
That's very very true. Especially the Gorges deal at 6 years.

On that club yes it looks bad they wont give him something better. But on a different roster (if he was traded to Edmonton) I wouldn't be giving him the big deal.

Bergevin didn't sign or trade on those deals (they are all pretty ugly) so maybe hes in a tough position. Don't want to keep the same precedent going. But tough position since he inherited a bit of a mess.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:41 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Arnott deal is a good depth signing, especially since they loaded up that first line. At the very least, he can win face-offs, kill penalties, and score the odd PP goal.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:03 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I wonder what it would have taken to pry Thornton or Marleau off the Sharks before the season and what it would take now.
Their value peaks in the regular season...might wanna check back after the playoffs are done.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:24 PM
oh_canuck

Quote:
If you can go onto any board on HF, set up a poll, and ask them if they would want to swap their goalies for ours, and you can get a majority to say they would swap, then you may have a point.
Again you avoid the original question which the answer is all opinion.

Closed Thread