HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - MK VIII - 'Week-end of Angst' Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-26-2013, 03:51 PM
elsubz

vCash: 500
If these numbers are true, I seriously hope the heat of the media shifts to Bergevin. Insulting...

Last edited by elsubz: 01-26-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 03:54 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Lavoie is probably one of the Montreal media sources I trust the most...which is why this is so worrying.
Yep. I really don't understand Bergevin's reasoning on this one.... Huge mistake on his part.

01-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

What I don't get is if the bridge principle is sooooo important and he does want to keep Subban in Montreal like he says, why not just pay the kid at least close to what he is worth on the open market for those two seasons, something like 9 mil for 2 seasons.

The $ amount, if true, is ridiculous and I can understand why PK would want more. He's producing like a free agent D who could ask between 5 and 6 mil on the open market and he WOULD get that on the open market.

Keep to your principle MB, but at least pay the kid what he is worth on the ice. The additional years he could get, make those related to if he can play like a pro (locker room attitude and whatnot).

Old
01-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't know how any one can think that is a reasonable offer. This makes me insanely scared about the future of this team with Bergevin at the helm.
When I watch him talk to the medias in English I'm like : OK, he's just not very good at his second language. But then he's worse in French and I'm like is that really our GM ?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:56 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Yep. I really don't understand Bergevin's reasoning on this one.... Huge mistake on his part.
I'm petrified. How can Dudley and Bergevin even table that offer?

Old
01-26-2013, 03:57 PM
jrk

Quote:
I don't know how any one can think that is a reasonable offer. This makes me insanely scared about the future of this team with Bergevin at the helm.
It is simple. Subban does not have any negociation power and will be overpaid to compensate in the 3rd contract like alot of the very good players in the league. If the 3rd contract is not good enough, you can expect alot of teams will try to get him. Trying to force the organisation to pay him alot of money for 5 years is not a proof of confidence on his side.

If Subban only look at the contract he has been offered without taking into consideration that he could make alot more then what he wants right now, then it means that he is not ready to bet on himself. He wants the habs to take all the risk. There is a risk like it or not that Subban could be a deception in the next 2 years.

Old
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
If these numbers are true, I seriously hope the heat of the media shifts into Bergevin. Insulting...
If you put his ego and popularity aside...Then it's not all that insulting. Price was more valuable to the team than subban when he signed roughly the same deal.

Not saying he cant get 5 mil a season but at this point I would give him 3.5-4 mil max for a 2 yr deal.

Old
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Ditto

The Gainey years will seem like sunshine

Old
01-26-2013, 04:00 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Maybe lowballing PK with a sub 3mill/year contract is Bergevin's effort at "fixing" the problem with his "overpaying" of Prust

Old
01-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Ditto

You guys are hopeless.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Bieber fever

Bergervin is an imbecile.

Let's be real , if it was Gauthier , media would be absolutly nuts right now.

Embarrassing offer from MB

Old
01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
When I watch him talk to the medias in English I'm like : OK, he's just not very good at his second language. But then he's worse in French and I'm like is that really our GM ?
The guy just spent the last 20 years of his life in USA and his wife is American...

Old
01-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Ditto

oooh boy I highly doubt this lol.

I get that Lavoie is normally a good source, but there is no way these numbers could be correct! His source must be Meehan or someone close to him because the only thing that makes sense is that Meehan's party wants to put the media and fans against Bergevin to apply some pressure

Old
01-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
You guys are hopeless.
Says the guy with the Bettman avatar.

Seriously, seems like MB is still working for the Hawks.

Icing on the cake would be Pk going to chi-town for bits and pieces.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Was listening to XM Hockey and they were interviewing Andy Strickland. Here were his thoughts.

PK is a number one only by virtue of him being on the Canadiens. If he were on New York he'd be behind McD, Staal and wouldn't be ahead of Delzotto. So Strickland sees him as being the equivalent to MDZ and feels that's what his monetary worth is.

I uh, disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So clearly, let's say PK has no choice but to accept this ridiculous offer. You can be absolutely SURE that he will ask then, REALLY, for Drew Doughty's money for 7-8 years in his next contract. He will feel as if he needs to recuperate that money he lost in this stupid bridge contract, hence the ridiculous amount he will be asking for, ridiculous but TOTALLY in his right to ask for it.

So then....without the bridge excuse, will surely come the "structural" excuse from Bergevin who will obviously find that this demand makes no sense, to which Subban will then demand another 2 years and then get the hell out as soon as possible.

People, EVEN if Subban signs the bridge contract, at the point we are now, it means so much that you will have a Subban that will remember it and will make us pay at the end, whether it's cap wise, or whether it's by seeing him leave without getting anything in return.
If we're lucky, he knuckles under now. I agree though, if he does this he kills us next time his contract is due. No question about it. And I won't blame him one bit. This is not the way to negotiate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Bergevin seems to be short term it's scary. Can't believe a guy like Dudley wouldn't use his influence on him to convince him that his way makes no sense whatsoever.
Maybe he's of the Strickland mindsight. There seem to be some people out there that agree with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigM View Post
PK is probably my favorite player, but I'm wondering about something.

I'm an old guy, so maybe my memory is a bit off, but as I recall last season, he seemed to have regressed for the first 2/3s of the season and then was really good after the AllStar break.

Do you guys have the same recollection? For example, was he a Molson Cup 3 star at all in any home games before the All Star break?

If I'm right, maybe that's a factor for Habs management...has Subban really been consistent enough to warrant a big payday at this time.
I felt he played much better in the 2nd half. He didn't put up the points I was hoping he would last year but that's also partly due to our forwards not producing. I felt like he developed very well last season and I liked the fact that he didn't seem to be making the unforced errors that I'd seen earlier in his career. He's come a long way.
Quote:
Unfortunately, we don't have a Mark Messier in this room. But you`re no blind nor deaf. How many times in the las ttwo years have we heard about PK's immature and childish behavior. How manyteamates have pointed fingers at him including seasoned vets like Hal Gill ? Maybe they should not have and clean their laundry in family. But PK seems to never accept to march to the same drum beat than his teamates. Maybe a guy like Prust or a new coaching sraff can fix the problems.
We haven't heard anything about immaturity. Unlike other players he's been an angel off the ice. We've heard people blast him for trash talking on the ice and there were some dust ups in practice but that's about it.

Nothing to see here man, move on. Hockey is full of REAL troublemakers and they still do very well. What matters is what they do on the ice. PK has done nothing to suggest that we need to deal him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrk View Post
RFA contracts are made to evaluate a player potential in the long run. Marc Bergevin and Michel Therrien have a great total of 0 game with Subban to evaluate his real value. All they have is one good rookie season and less then a half of a good season for Subban. To add with that, they don't have any players putting pressure in the media on the gm to sign him asap. This is my opinion fuel the idea that he was not that appreciate in the locker room last year. Why overpay a player with potentialy an attitude problem and risking having to trade him for a cheap return because of that.
I guess... but haven't we seen enough from PK? I get the bridge move and I would've thought PK would accept it. Then again I thought we were offering him some decent cash. Now we've heard from his agent that he's okay with the term it's just the cash.

Why are we messing around with this?

Old
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Bergervin is an imbecile.

Let's be real , if it was Gauthier , media would be absolutly nuts right now.

Embarrassing offer from MB
How come folks here who usually bash RDS for a no or a yes are now believing this rumour ?

I thought only TSN and the Anglo medias were right.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post

I get that Lavoie is normally a good source, but there is no way these numbers could be correct! His source must be Meehan or someone close to him because the only thing that makes sense is that Meehan's party wants to put the media and fans against Bergevin to apply some pressure
How does leaking the wrong numbers help Meehan's case though?

Quote:
How come folks here who usually bash RDS for a no or a yes are now believing this rumour ?

I thought only TSN and the Anglo medias were right.
Lavoie is 100% legit. Did you follow him during the lockout? He was constantly breaking news and unlike some other reporters, he wasn't biased AT ALL. If Lavoie says it, I believe it.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
How does leaking the wrong numbers help Meehan's case though?
He just explained you why.

PK has made a major booboo by talking to the Gazette and coming across as a selfish greedy guy. Meehan's team wants to counterbalance the opinions.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post

Well Gainey at least managed to sign his best players and keep them when he wanted to keep them. And no, Markov, the best of them, was far from overpaid.

Bergevin is alienating the majority of the fanbase and its young star player in the span of less than a year. Gainey managed a lot better than that.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:

PK has made a major booboo by talking to the Gazette and coming across as a selfish greedy guy. Meehan's team wants to counterbalance the opinions.
How did he come off as selfish and greedy in that interview? He expressed his point of view quite fairly.

If anything he was more reasonable than a lot of the Habs hardliners were during the lockout, especially Cole.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
The guy just spent the last 20 years of his life in USA and his wife is American...
Maybe he should speak better English then.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:13 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:

Right, but how exactly does it help Meehan get Subban more money? The public's opinion on this is completely irrelevant if the numbers are nowhere near the truth.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Maybe he should speak better English then.
That's not entirely fair, it's still his second language and he is perfectly understandable. If you start learning a second language too late in life it's almost never going to be perfect. If I spoke nothing but Spanish or French for the next 20 years I'd probably still be far from eloquent.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Well Gainey at least managed to sign his best players and keep them when he wanted to keep them. And no, Markov, the best of them, was far from overpaid.

Bergevin is alienating the majority of the fanbase and its young star player in the span of less than a year. Gainey managed a lot better than that.
Which is scary at best.

Old
01-26-2013, 04:14 PM
RC51

I can believe some of the comments.
Ok what the hell, pay subban 10 mil for 20 years for a total of 200 million.
Now to get under the cap? who cares, sell off Price and Patchs, give away the next 3 firsts and tinordi and Galchenyuk and Beaulieu and well everyone as long as Subban is signed forever. OH wait you think I am nuts now?? MB has to fit 23 players into a cap of 64mil.
Overpay on your top 5 players and you end up like Washington.
this is what you want, sign Subban at all costs. market value plus that always important extra for MTL due to all the taxes. Just do it now
It's not my money so I don't care. If it does not work out for a cup blame MB forever for caving in to Subban.

Closed Thread